Wal-Mart Pharm Techs, training experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesteve1

Accepted Pharmacy Student
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my orientation for level one pharmacy tech at wal-mart. How did you guys train for the position? I took CBL's for 8 hours today, and took the tests at the end. They kind of just left the new people hanging and left us alone on the comp all day, is this all the training then you become certified or something? I'm sure even after the CBL you practice in the actually pharmacy?

I guess I'm just wondering what the procedure is like once started orientation normally since nobody answered my question today.

Members don't see this ad.

I started at Wal-Mart as a pharm tech I 3 months ago and let me share with you what training I got. I did CBL's for almost 3 days (8 hour day) straight- took test after each section/class- just like what you did on your first day. After that, I was sent to a different store for training-the one with the most experienced techs-because the techs at my store were new and not experienced enough. I was at the other store for 2 days-8 hour shift and pretty much learned everything, except for insurance part (the hardest part when it comes to unfamiliar insurance- but there should be a sheet with all the common ones at your store). I had the filling and register down, but needed more practice at the window after the training. To answer your question about certification... no, you won't be certified after you finish CBL's. You will have to apply for trainee license and then take the pharm tech exam to be certified. I haven't taken the exam, yet, so I am not exactly sure what is required. But there's a website that you can get info from. I looked at it, but forgot... I believe you just have to register for the exam, study for it and take it. Good luck... let me know if you have more questions...

They're supposed to mix live practice with cbl's but seems for the last few years every training store is told to make you do ALL the cbls in succession, which means you understand or retain about 10% of it if you're lucky.

Guess they had problems with ppl just filling, talking, gossip about coworkers, teachers at school, etc. So they over-reacted with "no live training till computer work is complete"

The CPhT test is something you should sign up for on StoreNet asap - have a senior tech show you how to do it. Your store manager will likely be no help at all. The store pays for all of it once you're signed up online.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea luckily for me, the insuracnce thing doesn't worry me too much, as my last job I processed hundreds of different looking insurance cards each day...

the part that scares me so far is connexus, there seems to be a lot of places to get lost in it.

as for the Cpht thanks for the info eric! i did not know that the store paid for it, do you know if there is a length of time you have to be working before you are eligble or anything like that?

thanks again

the part that scares me so far is connexus, there seems to be a lot of places to get lost in it.

give yourself some time. i started with connexus over 4 years ago and it was ALOT worse then. once you learn the hot keys (the F row) and which work queue you're in, you'll be fine. try and get as much from the cbl's as you can. the rest is relatively easy enough to pick up. good luck!

I've been working at a Sam's Club pharmacy for 2 years, same system as Walmart. I started when the pharmacy was opening up, am the only technician. I did everything backwards, starting learning the computer system and how to do prescriptions before I did any cbls. Made it a little difficult, but I caught on quick. The pharmacist taught me everything, we were slow, no other technicians to help me. By time I did the cbls a couple days later, I was like, duh, it would have helped if I had done these first. I would have understood what I was doing and wouldn't have asked so many dumb questions. Sam's Clubs are slower than Walmarts so give you more of an opportunity to learn. I've trained a few associates for Walmart because of this.

Eric,
Do you know the website to StoreNet or the site to sign up for taking cert exam? I need to sign up for the test myself. You are right, the pharmacist doesn't know anything about certification. I asked my pharm manager, and he didn't even know that the company would pay for certification or not and no other info on cert exam.