~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHAINCHOMPER

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have around a 3.1 GPA and I scored a 26 on my MCAT. Which DO schools do you guys think I have a good shot at? I live in NY, so I should get some in state preferences(hopefully).

Members don't see this ad.

I have around a 3.1 GPA and I scored a 26 on my MCAT. Which DO schools do you guys think I have a good shot at? I live in NY, so I should get some in state preferences(hopefully).

Apply early (assuming you aren't applying for the 2012 class) and you will have a decent shot.

How are your clinical experiences, DO shadowing, and science gpa? Is your MCAT balanced?

That is my overall GPA. With all the non-science classes, it should be almost identical.

I have not found any DOs to shadow, do you know if this is a recommended thing or a requirement? It seems that almost everyone I know either has never heard of a DO or claim they are not real doctors. Thus, it is hard to be able to locate one and shadow him/her for a day.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is my overall GPA. With all the non-science classes, it should be almost identical.

I have not found any DOs to shadow, do you know if this is a recommended thing or a requirement? It seems that almost everyone I know either has never heard of a DO or claim they are not real doctors. Thus, it is hard to be able to locate one and shadow him/her for a day.

Find one. As you surely aren't asking about this admission cycle you've got some time. I'm not sure what schools you'll have a chance at, but I am sure you've got no shot at the ones you don't apply to. Apply early and broadly. Find a DO, shadow, get a letter.

I think if your stats were a little higher you could get away with not shadowing a DO.

But since you have time, and since your GPA is "meh" I think you need to do it.

Just my opinion.

apply early (beginning of june), call every DO you can find. You have a pretty good chance getting in NYCOM and touro. Touro requires the rec, and nycom strongly recomends it

Apparently it's time. Please post all "what are my chances", "where should I apply" and "what should I do" questions for application season 2008-2009 here.

Check out my Md apps. My stats are almost identical, but I had a do letter and a ton of clinical and volunteer.

I'm filling out an MDapps soon. But, I figure why not start here. Or should this go in the re-applicant forum? Please let me know and I'll move it there.

Hopefully you've all had chance to poke at me for a bit so here goes:

Gpa: 3.4
BCMP: 3.15
(Note: I am a Nutrition major so my science gpa is probably closer to 3.4 on AACOMAS)

MCAT 29R

Re-applicant. Pretty much was hopeless the first time around with a lower MCAT and gpa, along with less clinical.

Notable clinical:
Currently intern at ethics committee for lvl 2 trauma center in city
Shadowing 2 D.O.s in the next month
Various summer work in ER

Research:
National Undergraduate Research Conference 2008 for Ethics
Molecular Biology lab for 9 months (publication pending)

LORs: 1 science, 1 research and professor from class, 1 ethics professor and committee cover letter. I am re-requesting 2 letters from the same people and they've agreed to update. Hope to get a 4th letter from D.O. soon.

I haven't looked hard into school selection, which is why I haven't done MDapps. Soooo, how does it look? Feel free to be as helpful/vicious as possible.

Im currently a junior at a small liberal arts college, i am double majoring in Biology and biological anthropology I have a 3.0 gpa . Here are some of my accomplishments

Research project (Demography of Painted Turtles in New Jersey)
Research assistant (Demography of Primates in Manu National Park)
Academic Internship- Emergency room/shadowing doctors (2 credits)
Class Senator 2006-2007
Residence Hall Senator 2007-2008
Member of various clubs and organizations.
Various awards and grants

Is there a good chance i will get in? Any recomendations on what I will need to score on the Mcats?

What is your science gpa? If you can formulate an answer to the question "why such a low gpa?" you should be ok with a 30 or better MCAT. Look at my stats. My gpa was also low.

Im currently a junior at a small liberal arts college, i am double majoring in Biology and biological anthropology I have a 3.0 gpa . Here are some of my accomplishments

Research project (Demography of Painted Turtles in New Jersey)
Research assistant (Demography of Primates in Manu National Park)
Academic Internship- Emergency room/shadowing doctors (2 credits)
Class Senator 2006-2007
Residence Hall Senator 2007-2008
Member of various clubs and organizations.
Various awards and grants

Is there a good chance i will get in? Any recomendations on what I will need to score on the Mcats?

Work hard to get your gpa above 3.0 and raise it if possible. Study hard for the MCAT and get a 30+. Also, your activities are nice but how much exactly is 2 credits of shadowing? Were they a DO? Find a DO if not already done and try to some volunteer work. You should have a pretty good shot if your MCAT isn't too low.

Any recomendations on what I will need to score on the Mcats?

There is only one MCAT (sorry, pet peeve).

I would say score ~30 also. You might scrape by with lower. I wouldn't chance it. Raise the GPA or plan on nailing the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, this is from a document that my undergrad distributes. I don't know how accurate it is but it will give you some perspective:

Osteopathic (DO) Schools MCAT and GPA Averages

• A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine – Arizona
    • MCAT – 24
    • Science GPA – 3.3
    • Overall GPA – 3.4
  • A.T. Still University Kirksville School of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 26
    • Science GPA – 3.3
    • Overall GPA – 3.5
  • Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (AZCOM)
    • MCAT – 27
    • Science GPA – 3.4
    • Overall GPA – 3.4
  • Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
    • MCAT – 26
    • Science GPA – 3.42
    • Overall GPA – 3.52
  • Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 25.7
    • Science GPA – 3.49
    • Overall GPA – 3.56
  • Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 25.14
    • Science GPA – 3.46
    • Overall GPA – 3.55
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 25
    • Science GPA – 3.2
    • Overall GPA – 3.3
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine – Bradenton Campus
    • MCAT – 25
    • Science GPA – 3.27
    • Overall GPA – 3.35
  • Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 24.62
    • Science GPA – 3.18
    • Overall GPA – 3.29
  • Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 26-27
    • Science GPA – 3.5
    • Overall GPA – 3.5
  • New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of the New York Institute of Technology
    • MCAT – 26
    • Science GPA – 3.5
    • Overall GPA – 3.5
  • Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 25.65
    • Science GPA – 3.33
    • Overall GPA – 3.43
  • Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 25
    • Science GPA – 3.47
    • Overall GPA – 3.55
  • Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT –26.1
    • Science GPA – 3.58
    • Overall GPA –3.64
  • Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 24
    • Science GPA – 3.15
    • Overall GPA – 3.3
  • Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine – Georgia Campus
    • MCAT – 24
    • Science GPA – 3.15
    • Overall GPA – 3.3
  • Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 24
    • Science GPA – 3.3
    • Overall GPA – 3.4
  • Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine – New York
    • MCAT – 26
    • Science GPA – 3.1
    • Overall GPA – 3.3
  • Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine – California
    • MCAT – 26.16
    • Science GPA – 3.21
    • Overall GPA – 3.35
  • Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Nevada
    • MCAT – 26
    • Science GPA – 3.25
    • Overall GPA – 3.35
  • University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 27
    • Science GPA – 3.45
    • Overall GPA –3.5
  • University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 25.2
    • Science GPA –
    • Overall GPA – 3.37
  • University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 27
    • Science GPA – 3.44
    • Overall GPA – 3.52
  • Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 24
    • Science GPA – 3.5
    • Overall GPA – 3.6
  • Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
    • MCAT – 27
    • Science GPA – 3.4
    • Overall GPA – 3.5
  • Western Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
    • MCAT – 23
    • Science GPA – 3.36
    • Overall GPA – 3.4

this data seems on par with the school data. To the OP, your MCAT is a huge factor for you. You should try to maximize your score and pull out a higher than average MCAT or increase your GPA. Good luck

The above data is inaccurate for DMU.
Average MCAT 27
Sci GPA 3.59
Overall GPA 3.64

OP, just to echo everyone else's words, kill it in the classes you have left to bring that GPA up any little bit that you can.

You really need to knock your MCAT outta the park to give yourself the best chance. I know they are expensive, but take a comprehensive study course for MCAT prep. It'll be around $1,500 - 2,000 but its worth every penny. I used Princeton Review and have taught for them over the past year. I think their program is solid and if you make the effort, do all the homework, and come to help sessions you can see a marked improve over the course of the class. They also have access to tons of practice exams. Not to sound like a PR commercial I know a lot of people that have had success with Kaplan as well. From what I understand you spend more time in class with PR and more time studying on your own at Kaplan. It all depends on what kind of student you are. Good luck!!

Thanks for all the responses! Yea I am enrolled in a Kaplan class and its finishing it up, I'm going to repeat some classes to ensure i know the material. Lets hope I do well on the MCAT!

Oh and the shadowing internship was 18 four hour sessions, so in total 72 hours.

Acceptance gurus, lend me your knowledge.

I will be applying this summer with:

GPA: CUM 3.3 / 3.0 BCPM
MCAT: 32Q
200+ hours of hospital volunteering (surgery center)
a little over a year of volunteer research
loads of ECs, many involving leadership positions

CCOM is top choice, I notice above that I'm below their Average GPA, but above MCAT. Do you think that they will cancel each other out? Thanks!

i think you have a good shot, a 32 can get u into most allopathic schools so it should be good enough for DO schools

Acceptance gurus, lend me your knowledge.

I will be applying this summer with:

GPA: CUM 3.3 / 3.0 BCPM
MCAT: 32Q
200+ hours of hospital volunteering (surgery center)
a little over a year of volunteer research
loads of ECs, many involving leadership positions

CCOM is top choice, I notice above that I'm below their Average GPA, but above MCAT. Do you think that they will cancel each other out? Thanks!

There's no magic formula to "cancel" either gpa or mcat out. However, I think your stats are competitive and your experience too. As long as you interview well you stand a good shot at acceptance.

i know its really lame and a sign of insecurity to do this, but I was just wondering what people think my chances are of attending some of the best DO schools in the nation like OSU or Kansas...

so please check out my profile...any advice would help. Thanks:D

I've been accepted to 6 of 6 osteopathic schools with slightly lower stats. I would definitely shadow a DO! You'll be just fine.

i know its really lame and a sign of insecurity to do this, but I was just wondering what people think my chances are of attending some of the best DO schools in the nation like OSU or Kansas...

I wouldn't retake the MCAT if I were you. A 30 is pretty good for DO schools. As a matter of fact, at my interview at KCOM my first interviewer asks me:

Interviewer: So, why did you retake the MCAT?

Me: I was thinking, are you nuts--why wouldn't I retake the MCAT (I thought he meant the 22S I got in April of 2007 due to having Influenza and the MCAT charging me full price anyways, so I just took it to see what would happen). I respond, well 22 is bad.

Interviewer: Oh, I meant from the 29--that's good.

Me: Oh, that was in 2001, it was no longer considered valid.

Interviewer: Really? (PhD not MD interviewer) That's not cool.

I retook in July 2007 and got a 27R and got into KCOM and Nova, so I would think your MCAT is fine if the rest of your app is just as strong.

yah im a little worried about the rest of my application. im hoping to shadow a DO this coming quarter. if all goes well applications will be done and ill be accepted. does anyone have a quicklink to where i can learn all that i need to about the application process for DO schools...

i guess i can check adcoms or something like that right?

chances:good, REALLY good if you get some quality DO shadow time. Make sure you do that soon!

what are the best DO schools in the nation?

I think everybody would agree that's very hard to answer. It's a personal question based on what you want out of your education (research, primary care, great clinical sites, ect). I personally believe Kansas City and PCOM are two of the best. They have been around for a while and have a strong reputation. Every school has pros and cons though.

I didn't see a thread for 08-09, so I thought I'd start one....

Okay, I'm not sure if I should apply this year or next year.

This Year
I have all my LOR ready
I'm moving in June
My MCAT diagnostic is poor (MCAT Sch 5/27)
No money (I'd get a loan)
I'd have to take a full course load to graduate by May of 09

Next Year
I could strengthen/get better LOR -
I won't be moving (less stress)
I can drastically improve MCAT
I could possibly save money instead of taking out a loan.
I would have extra time to complete BS

I'm torn between applying this year vs. next. Stats could be better(3.1 Cum GPA Sci 3.0), therefore I need a good score. Took kaplan diagnostic - scored very low. When I first scheduled for the MCAT I was 2 months away. I never thought, especially being a Bio major after taking all of my prerequisites consecutively that I would of scored so low. And when I say LOW, I mean LOW.:(

Right now I've also got this additional stress (family) going on and have not been able to dedicate enough time to prepare.

Should I apply this year and reschedule MCAT for a July date or should I get my refund of $100.00 and wait til next year?

What's killin me is that I was all set to apply June 1st until I received this score.

Ugh, I should have started preparing in January.

I know that only I can really answer this question but I'm hoping that maybe someone could shed some advice, words of wisdom, a different light

Are these reasons valid, or am I wimping out? I don't know...

Realistically, I think I should wait a year, but I don't want to.... ugh

DO NOT use the Kaplan diagnostic to estimate your actual MCAT score. You have to realize that unless you have previously taken the MCAT, this is the score they use for comparison in order to fulfill their "higher score guarantee". It literally pays them for you to score lower on this diagnostic test. I scored 11 points higher on my MCAT as compared to the Kaplan diagnostic. Keep on studying and if you feel you need more time, I say push it to July.

I didn't see a thread for 08-09, so I thought I'd start one....

Okay, I'm not sure if I should apply this year or next year.

This Year
I have all my LOR ready
I'm moving in June
My MCAT diagnostic is poor (MCAT Sch 5/27)
No money (I'd get a loan)
I'd have to take a full course load to graduate by May of 09

Next Year
I could strengthen/get better LOR -
I won't be moving (less stress)
I can drastically improve MCAT
I could possibly save money instead of taking out a loan.
I would have extra time to complete BS

I'm torn between applying this year vs. next. Stats could be better(3.1 Cum GPA Sci 3.0), therefore I need a good score. Took kaplan diagnostic - scored very low. When I first scheduled for the MCAT I was 2 months away. I never thought, especially being a Bio major after taking all of my prerequisites consecutively that I would of scored so low. And when I say LOW, I mean LOW.:(

Right now I've also got this additional stress (family) going on and have not been able to dedicate enough time to prepare.

Should I apply this year and reschedule MCAT for a July date or should I get my refund of $100.00 and wait til next year?

What's killin me is that I was all set to apply June 1st until I received this score.

Ugh, I should have started preparing in January.

I know that only I can really answer this question but I'm hoping that maybe someone could shed some advice, words of wisdom, a different light

Are these reasons valid, or am I wimping out? I don't know...

Realistically, I think I should wait a year, but I don't want to.... ugh

I was in this exact boat last year and made the very tough decision to wait a year. I was really disappointed the first few months...I mean, after gearing up to apply, it is hard to just stop all of a sudden. What I can say though is that I am so happy I waited. Having almost applied last year just gave me an edge for this year because I already had the ball rolling (just like you do) on letters, mcat, etc.

Ultimately it has to be what feels right for you. I was feeling rushed and underprepared, and it seems like that is how you are feeling right now too. Waiting a year seems to have worked out well for me, but like I said, it is up to you

I have similar stats (3.22c/3.0s) and just took the MCAT. I feel like it could be anywhere from a 22-29 which sucks but I'll hope its on the top end. My LOR's are decent and I have OK EC's. For me taking the chance now is worth it, applying very early and hoping for an acceptance. I don't really have the funds to do it either but nothing ventured nothing gained. I think you should wait and see what you get on your MCAT. If you score a 25+, I believe it wouldn't be out of this world for you to get in somewhere (please veterans correct me if I'm wrong) and if you have that chance you've gotta take it!

In regards to your diag, I started with a 16 (on diag) and scored 12 points higher on a number or practice tests just before I took the real one. Though I don't have my real score I will say the diag should not be what you base your decision on, I'm certain you'll do better on the real one. Goodluck!

I have similar stats (3.22c/3.0s) and just took the MCAT. I feel like it could be anywhere from a 22-29 which sucks but I'll hope its on the top end. My LOR's are decent and I have OK EC's. For me taking the chance now is worth it, applying very early and hoping for an acceptance. I don't really have the funds to do it either but nothing ventured nothing gained. I think you should wait and see what you get on your MCAT. If you score a 25+, I believe it wouldn't be out of this world for you to get in somewhere (please veterans correct me if I'm wrong) and if you have that chance you've gotta take it!

In regards to your diag, I started with a 16 (on diag) and scored 12 points higher on a number or practice tests just before I took the real one. Though I don't have my real score I will say the diag should not be what you base your decision on, I'm certain you'll do better on the real one. Goodluck!

Nice advice . . . you are correct.

Good Luck this year! It's sounds like you have all your eggs in one basket and you're ready for it! :luck:

I am trying to stick to ~10 schools with my basic priorities being that the school has already graduated its first class (just a personal pref) and that it is not in too rural of an area (doesn't have to be huge, urban-just not podunk nowhere).

Here is my yes list:
PCOM
AZCOM Midwestern
CCOM
KCUMB
NYCOM
OSU-CHS
DMU
UMDNJ-SOM
WESTERN-COM
TUCOM-CA

NOt sure
AT Still University Kirksville KCOM (too rural???)
ATSU Arizona (too new)
LECOM (newish...idk)
LECOM-Bradenton (no florida!!)
LMU-Debusk (too new)
NOVA Southeastern (no florida!!)
PCOM-Georgia (too new)
PCSOM-Pikeville(too new, rural)
PNWU-COM (too new, rural)
RVU-COM
TOURO-NY(too new)
TCOM
TOURO-NV (too new, good location??)
VCOM (too rural +new)
WVSOM (too rural)
UNECOM-- Biddeford, ME (too small of a town??)
MSU-COM (expensive!)
OU-COM (too rural??)

My detailed profile is on MDapps, but overall I feel like I will be a fairly competitive applicant. GPA 3.4-3.5, science maybe a little higher. Extensive medical experience, including a strong letter from a DO i shadowed (PCOM grad) for well over 40hrs. Also some good non medical EC's like mentoring/tutoring my schools athletes, study abroad... My MCAT range seems to be mostly high twenties...taking it this Friday, but will retake if I get below 29 most likely (mostly because I haven't prepared well enough, and I want a shot at my IS MD school UWSOM)

Basically I'm looking for some words of wisdom. Are there any schools you think I am overlooking, or not giving enough of a chance. Also, are there any crazy requirements that you know of, like a year of psych, or must practice in that state, etc, of my "yes list" schools?

And finally, is 10 enough? Keep in mind I will also apply to my IS MD school as well as maybe 5-10 more.

THANKS SO MUCH!

Here is my yes list:
PCOM
AZCOM Midwestern
CCOM
KCUMB* Requires Biochem
NYCOM
OSU-CHS
DMU* Requires Biochem
UMDNJ-SOM* Strongly recommends Biochem
WESTERN-COM
TUCOM-CA

NOt sure
ATSU Arizona (too new)
LECOM (newish...idk)* Not that new
LMU-Debusk (too new)
PCOM-Georgia (too new)
RVU-COM* for profit, if you care about that sort of thing.
TOURO-NY(too new)
TCOM
TOURO-NV (too new, good location??)* Hot as hell location! :)
VCOM (too rural +new)
WVSOM (too rural)
UNECOM-- Biddeford, ME (too small of a town??)*Not that small, but close to big cities. I think you shoud apply here too. Also requires Biochem.
MSU-COM (expensive!)
OU-COM (too rural??)* 5 year commitment to stay in Ohio after graduation. :thumbdown:

You might be missing out on some of the schools you think are too new, but you have good stats so you might not need to apply to that many schools. Your list looks good! :luck::luck:

I think you're golden ;) Good Luck on the MCAT!!!!

Well, this should be fun. Tear me down and build me up, y'all.

Calculated with AACOMAS rules:
Overall GPA: 2.84
BCP GPA: 2.67
(note that hopefully I'll get a small, small amount of leeway here for going to a school where these grades are around the average)

MCAT:
Three Practice tests: 34, 35, 39
July 8th test date, still preparing using Kaplan/text books.

LORs:
Probably going to be another weak point as I wasn't a particularly stellar student. Can get better ones from the two gentlemen that own the company I work for (1 MD, 1 PhD), but I've been led to believe that most schools want professor letters more than anything.

ECs/Work:
I work in a clinical lab, researching and testing rare inherited metabolic diseases. The honchos are in Chicago right now presenting stuff at the AAN meeting.

Played Rugby, In a Fraternity, Intramural Referee, Freshman Orgs.

Currently volunteering in the ED of a local hospital (Grady Memorial for those of y'all in Atlanta).

Will be shadowing some docs as the months head towards summer.

So, what are my chances? Anyone? (Bueller?)

Here is my yes list:
PCOM
AZCOM Midwestern
CCOM
KCUMB* Requires Biochem
NYCOM
OSU-CHS
DMU* Requires Biochem
UMDNJ-SOM* Strongly recommends Biochem
WESTERN-COM
TUCOM-CA

NOt sure
ATSU Arizona (too new)
LECOM (newish...idk)* Not that new
LMU-Debusk (too new)
PCOM-Georgia (too new)
RVU-COM* for profit, if you care about that sort of thing.
TOURO-NY(too new)
TCOM
TOURO-NV (too new, good location??)* Hot as hell location! :)
VCOM (too rural +new)
WVSOM (too rural)
UNECOM-- Biddeford, ME (too small of a town??)*Not that small, but close to big cities. I think you shoud apply here too. Also requires Biochem.
MSU-COM (expensive!)
OU-COM (too rural??)* 5 year commitment to stay in Ohio after graduation. :thumbdown:

You might be missing out on some of the schools you think are too new, but you have good stats so you might not need to apply to that many schools. Your list looks good! :luck::luck:

I think you're golden ;) Good Luck on the MCAT!!!!

prions your the best! Thankfully I've had 2 terms of biochem so it looks like I'll be ok...I originally had UNECOM on my yes list but wasn't sure...I will likely add it. As for Lecom, I'll just have to do some investigation!

Thanks!

OK Joe, I think you're going to kill the MCAT and have a pretty good score, but you really need to bring up that GPA. I'm sure you went to Tech and you're right, those grades are average for the school, but it might not cut it in the eyes of the Adcoms.

Your EC's seem solid, but work on getting strong, academic LOR's. Adcoms want to see those from core science professors (having some from your employer and EC's is a good idea too).

Are you dead set on applying this year? Can you retake some of your science pre-reqs at Kennesaw State or Georgia State? That's what I would do if I were you. I retook a bunch of classes that I got a C or lower in and it really helped to boost my GPA and prove to Adcoms that I could handle the harder, upper division science classes.

Good Luck! and remember, that's just my $0.02.
:luck::)

Are you dead set on applying this year? Can you retake some of your science pre-reqs at Kennesaw State or Georgia State? That's what I would do if I were you. I retook a bunch of classes that I got a C or lower in and it really helped to boost my GPA and prove to Adcoms that I could handle the harder, upper division science classes.
I really would like to apply this year. My biggest problem with retaking classes is that I work a fairly regular, 9-5 job right now.

The really funny thing is that, when I felt like it (ah, maturity), I could easily handle upper-level science courses: that's pretty much all I took. I think I've got maybe 40 out of 140 non-science hours. My main problem was consistency: I'd be second in the class in Medical Micro (hardest class I've ever taken, apparently harder than MCG's version) and completely fail Synth Lab II (B on the retake!).

But I take your point. Maybe I'll just apply to a couple this year and try to line myself up for some classes in the fall.

I really would like to apply this year. My biggest problem with retaking classes is that I work a fairly regular, 9-5 job right now.

The really funny thing is that, when I felt like it (ah, maturity), I could easily handle upper-level science courses: that's pretty much all I took. I think I've got maybe 40 out of 140 non-science hours. My main problem was consistency: I'd be second in the class in Medical Micro (hardest class I've ever taken, apparently harder than MCG's version) and completely fail Synth Lab II (B on the retake!).

But I take your point. Maybe I'll just apply to a couple this year and try to line myself up for some classes in the fall.

Go ahead and apply this year if you really want to. I applied last year and a lot of people told me not to, but it happened to work out for me. Case in point, you never know till you try. :)

The only problem is you will get screened out pre secondary at many schools because of your GPA (you should ask Texas Triathlete which schools screened him out, as he had a similar overall GPA).

Work on gathering up LOR's and kick *ss on the MCAT!

Best of luck to you! :luck:

Well, this should be fun. Tear me down and build me up, y'all.

Calculated with AACOMAS rules:
Overall GPA: 2.84
BCP GPA: 2.67
(note that hopefully I'll get a small, small amount of leeway here for going to a school where these grades are around the average)

MCAT:
Three Practice tests: 34, 35, 39
July 8th test date, still preparing using Kaplan/text books.

LORs:
Probably going to be another weak point as I wasn't a particularly stellar student. Can get better ones from the two gentlemen that own the company I work for (1 MD, 1 PhD), but I've been led to believe that most schools want professor letters more than anything.

ECs/Work:
I work in a clinical lab, researching and testing rare inherited metabolic diseases. The honchos are in Chicago right now presenting stuff at the AAN meeting.

Played Rugby, In a Fraternity, Intramural Referee, Freshman Orgs.

Currently volunteering in the ED of a local hospital (Grady Memorial for those of y'all in Atlanta).

Will be shadowing some docs as the months head towards summer.

So, what are my chances? Anyone? (Bueller?)

Your enemy is going to be the computer screen. Most schools cut off at 2.75. Retake some of the classes you did bad in especially in the core requirements. Your overall GPA needs to be a little bit closer if not over 3.0

Good Luck

hey everyone! i'm pretty new to this, so here goes ...

these are the schools i'm interested in!

CCOM
LECOM (BOTH)
KCUMB
NYCOM
DMU
WVSOM

TOUR-CA
LMU-Debusk
PCOM (BOTH)
PCSOM-Pikeville
RVU-COM (??)
UNECOM (??)
UMDNJ-SOM (??)

the ones with ? marks, i could use some help with. for example, rocky vista is realllly new-- is that necessarily a bad/negative thing? also, i'm sure my GPA/MCAT (3.3 cum, 2.98 sci, 25P mcat) rules me out of some schools, and it would nice to know which ones i should not be spending my time on. if anyone knows which schools are REALLY in-state heavy, that would be helpful as well.

oh, and for your reference, in case you need more information: i have pretty excellent LORs (1 DO, 1 MD, 3 science profs and 2 nonscience profs) and hundreds of shadowing/volunteer hours at a private practice, a clinic and a hospital. i'm also extremely involved on campus.

thanks!!!!!!

So I don't know whether to apply this year or next year. Right now I'm a junior, and I am taking my MCATs at the end of August, but I am confident that I will do fairly well. By the end of junior year, my uGPA should be 3.4 and my sGPA should be 3.2. I've done research, worked in hospitals, etc. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get in anywhere if I apply that late (I don't know much about the DO system). Also when do you apply in relation to when you take your Mcat exam. Thanks in advance!

DMU
also, i'm sure my GPA/MCAT (3.3 cum, 2.98 sci, 25P mcat) rules me out of some schools, and it would nice to know which ones i should not be spending my time on.

DMU rejected me pre-secondary for a 2.984 science GPA. Over 3.0 is required.

DMU rejected me pre-secondary for a 2.984 science GPA. Over 3.0 is required.

It's true, DMU will not hand out many interviews to people with sub 3.0 GPA's. Although, I got an interview with them with a horrible MCAT score, but I was rejected because of it.