New MSAR Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riceman04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up people!

I just wanted to let you know the new MSAR is out.

It has some really nice new in features:

1. Projected student budgets (both in and out of state of course for public schools) w/ category breakdowns

2. New 10th to 90th percentile GPA range (for both science and overall)

It is pretty cool!

Just thought I'd let everyone know

Members don't see this ad.

What's up people!

I just wanted to let you know the new MSAR is out.

It has some really nice new in features:

1. Projected student budgets (both in and out of state of course for public schools) w/ category breakdowns

2. New 10th to 90th percentile GPA range (for both science and overall)

It is pretty cool!

Just thought I'd let everyone know

Hey riceman04,

I was wondering if you could be kind enough and list the stats for Creighton, UMDNJ-NJMS, and UMDNJ-RWJMS. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's all the data, typed by hand. Free data; don't complain. If you don't understand it then you need to go find the actual hardcopy book.

Attachments

• msar0910.xls
    74.5 KB · Views: 3,445
Here's all the data, typed by hand. Free data; don't complain. If you don't understand it then you need to go find the actual hardcopy book.

WHOA. THANK YOU :love:. You rock.

Data *****...did you do this all yourself? That's frickin amazing...

Well that was depressing.

Thanks a lot though. Must have taken you hours.

Thank you.

Wow, that was awesome. Any way you could add the average indebtedness on there as well?

Wow, thanks a lot for putting this together. Can someone explain what the 10th and 90th percentile columns mean? I think I am misunderstanding them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: Are these stats for the entering class of 2007 or are they estimates of what the class of 2008 will be?

Question: Are these stats for the entering class of 2007 or are they estimates of what the class of 2008 will be?

At least in past years, the data was for the previous class.

Wow, thanks a lot for putting this together. Can someone explain what the 10th and 90th percentile columns mean? I think I am misunderstanding them.

It means that 80% of the matriculants fall within the specified range. 10% fall below the 10th percentile and 10% fell above the 90th percentile. The rest of the matriculants are somewhere in between.

While its great that they provided percentiles, the data would be much more useful if they provided the standard deviation in addition to the percentiles (or even the standard deviation by itself would be nice). Oh well, ya can't have everything.

I just bought it and the new book has a lot of other nice features that previous ones didn't have I don't think...I would still recommend it, but that really is nice of the previous poster to do that. It's usually cheaper to buy it at Amazon.com or Barnes and Nobles stores than AAMC.

I just bought it and the new book has a lot of other nice features that previous ones didn't have I don't think...I would still recommend it, but that really is nice of the previous poster to do that. It's usually cheaper to buy it at Amazon.com or Barnes and Nobles stores than AAMC.

what other new features do the other books not have? i bought the 2008-2009 MSAR recently and had thought that it was the recent one... :(

Thanks for posting this - if they included this on CD in the back of the MSAR it would make our lives a lot easier.

Interesting calculation - multiply # of applicants (Column Z) by Secondary fee (column AR) == total income from secondary applications.

BTW, isn't the # of applicants for UCSF a typo? 63,000? If not, they made $3.8m off applications last year. :)

The top two are no shock - Georgetown & GWU - $1.6m and $1.4m, respectively.

While its great that they provided percentiles, the data would be much more useful if they provided the standard deviation in addition to the percentiles (or even the standard deviation by itself would be nice). Oh well, ya can't have everything.

Assume normality - it won't be perfect, but not that bad. Put in an extra column - use the median as the mean and use the 90th percentile to compute the standard deviation. Obviously, just a rough approximation.

Wow! thanks data

what other new features do the other books not have? i bought the 2008-2009 MSAR recently and had thought that it was the recent one... :(

The 2009-10 one came out on Monday I believe... It seems like the med schools...at least the ones I've seen so far...changed some of their descriptions. It just seems more thorough than the 06-07 one...the last one I bought.

BUT, just FYI for all of you, there are at least 3 mistakes that may or may not matter to all of you, depending when your last MCAT was taken. Univ of Cincinnati, UC San Francisco, and Southern Illinois Univ all take ANY 2006 MCAT score. In the new MSAR, they say the latest MCAT they'll take is August 2006...I emailed all of them and they all confirmed that they will take April 06 or any other 06 test too. There may be more of these mistakes, so keep an eye out. Also, a few schools I came across as I browsed through it only take Jan 2007 and later tests...no 2006 tests or before. This was surprising, as I thought all MCATs are good for at least 3 years at every school...not the case!!

90th percentile = Top 10
10th percentile = Bottom 10.

Thats all you need to know.

what's the difference between cost of attendance and cost of tuition? like take one school for example, its resident tuition was 23k and its resident cost of attendance was 46k. are you telling me room and board cost 23k? no way.

Someone give this man a medal. :bow:

I looked over the data briefly; it seems like almost all the schools' numbers have increased quite a bit from my msar edition (06 I think, it's orange). I guess this app cycle and previous one really were harder for applicants, at least numbers wise.

I looked over the data briefly; it seems like almost all the schools' numbers have increased quite a bit from my msar edition (06 I think, it's orange). I guess this app cycle and previous one really were harder for applicants, at least numbers wise.

Agreed. (it was orange, hehe). The GPA and MCAT scores have definitely gone up for every school I applied to last time, and most other ones as well. Not sure what to take away from that...hopefully it's not as bad as it looks. Anyone know if applications went up last year from the previous year? I've heard we're supposed to be on another upward trend of med school applications...

Agreed. (it was orange, hehe). The GPA and MCAT scores have definitely gone up for every school I applied to last time, and most other ones as well. Not sure what to take away from that...hopefully it's not as bad as it looks. Anyone know if applications went up last year from the previous year? I've heard we're supposed to be on another upward trend of med school applications...

According to my college's premedical dean, medical school applications went up 17% this year. Next year is probably going to be even harder. Good luck :luck:

Yeah, it looks like matriculant stats went up this past year for sure. The OP should put this down as an EC on their AMCAS; creating it must have taken some time.

Yeah, it looks like matriculant stats went up this past year for sure. The OP should put this down as an EC on their AMCAS; creating it must have taken some time.

Because the AAMC would appreciate copyright infringement. :rolleyes:

If there was an award for BEST NEW SDN MEMBER, I would nominate you one million times over. Thanks a million for this info. You're the bestest!!!:):):):):):):)

Wow. That must have taken a long time.

Props to you, Data *****.

That should probably count as community service...

If there was an award for BEST NEW SDN MEMBER, I would nominate you one million times over. Thanks a million for this info. You're the bestest!!!:):):):):):):)

Methinks it's a regular poster's alter-ego, made specifically to post that info. Either way though, it will be extremely helpful to many premeds on here who are about to apply or will apply in the near future.

Data *****, you are AWESOME....thank you SO much!

So pretty much the average seems like a 3.7 GPA and a 32 MCAT. Not bad...NOT.

what's the difference between cost of attendance and cost of tuition? like take one school for example, its resident tuition was 23k and its resident cost of attendance was 46k. are you telling me room and board cost 23k? no way.

room/board, housing, books/supplies, food, transportation, beer, personal, etc...COA is an estimate of the total money you will spend per year as a medical student. Basically, since the large majority of med students do not work, and most don't have scholarships/parents willing to pay, it is the total amount of money a med student can plan on taking out in loans per year.

My school went from an average 3.66 GPA to a 3.8! Grade inflation is getting pretty crazy...

Holy Crap!! I have the 08-09 MSAR and the stats from Data *****'s (thank you for typing all that!!) excel sheet is SO much higher. That much change in just a year?? Stanford's mean MCAT was 11 12 12 and its 11 13 13 now (not that I have a shot there, just using Stanford as an example since it was one of the first ones on the list and in CA)?! I feel like giving up now...

Holy Crap!! I have the 08-09 MSAR and the stats from Data *****'s (thank you for typing all that!!) excel sheet is SO much higher. That much change in just a year?? Stanford's mean MCAT was 11 12 12 and its 11 13 13 now (not that I have a shot there, just using Stanford as an example since it was one of the first ones on the list and in CA)?! I feel like giving up now...

I feel ya! And this was from those entering in 2007.

For those of us looking to matriculate in 2009, the median GPAs will be well over 4.00:eek: Hey, I'm just trying to extrapolate the data!

Here's a little program that is written in C. If you know how to run a simple C script go ahead and run it in anything that complies C code.

Be sure to have the attached .txt file in the directory you are compiling in.

It writes several files:
One that shows schools you are above or equal to average at
One that shows you are above or equal to avg at except in VR
One that shows which you are competitive at (within a few MCAT points and .5 in sci and nonsci gpa)
One that shows schools you are above or equal to avg at in terms of just OA GPA
One that shows schools you are above or equal to avg at in terms of just MCAT overall
One that shows schools you are above or equal to avg at in terms of just OA GPA

I did it for myself, but it may be useful for others to check out so I thought I'd share it.

Attachments

• MSAR.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 240
I can't upload the ".c" file so just open the .txt file and save it as a .c...

Attachments

• MSAR.txt
    7 KB · Views: 193
wow nice.. thanks

anybody care to explain how to explain this...how do you save as a .c?