Majors and DS Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been several posts regarding the best major for ds admission. Some believe that biology is the way to go. The statistical information available from the 2007 and 2008 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools does not support the bio notion. The misconception may due to the fact ~50% of the applicants are bio majors. This belief may be compounded by encouragement from admission deans for upper division bio courses. The advice may be misinterpreted. How adcoms make decisions is anyone's guess, however, it does appear that a particular applicant pool of major (say bus) is being compared only to that subgroup rather than across the board. Thus, a business major with upper division bio may be a more competitive candidate than a business major without those courses. While engineering majors represent a small portion of both the applicant and enrollment pool, they appear to have an edge. Chemistry/physics and math/cs also have a slight edge over bio. "Pre-dent", other and no major appear to be at a more significant disadvantage than any other group. Notwithstanding this information, it is risky to choose a major only as a means to improve one's chance of acceptance since the choice may end up being the terminal degree.

It is noteworthy that % of enrollees represented in each subgroup parallels that of the applicant pool.

Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]Undergrad Majors of DS Applicants/Enrollees						

% Applicants	% Enrollees	% Rate of Enrollm	
	2004/05	2005/06	2004/05	2005/06	2004/05	2005/06
Bio	50.4	52.6	54.1	53.3	49.9	43.2
Chem/P	14.0	12.2	14.1	13.2	49.4	46.3
Eng	1.7	2.4	2.3	3.0	66.3	54.2
Math/CS	0.8	1.2	0.8	1.3	52.5	48.1
Soc Sci	0.7	1.3	0.8	1.0	54.1	32.2
Bus	3.7	3.7	4.2	3.7	55.6	43.3
Ed	0.7	0.6	0.7	0.6	51.4	42.9
Lang/Hu	2.7	2.7	3.0	2.9	54.1	42.5
Pre-D	14.8	12.3	13.2	11.4	43.7	39.4
Other	6.5	8.3	6.3	7.8	47.6	39.7
No Maj	4.1	2.7	3.3	1.7	39.4	26.9

Applic		10731	12010
Enroll		4558	4599
% Accep		42.5	38.3
Ratio		2.4	2.6

Members don't see this ad.

Wow the pre-dental is not exactly working out is it, 43.7% and 39.4% they are getting owned.

Glancing at the %'s I thought "It looks like there was a significant change between those years" then I realized its because the # of applicants is up so the % rate of enrollment has dropped quite a bit.

Great post

I'm assuming the "Eng" stands for Engineering, and not English.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm a double major.. do I have slight advantage?

Majors: Chem/Eco

I'm assuming the "Eng" stands for Engineering, and not English.

I wouldn't assume that. I think an English major with all their Pre-Dent pre-reqs is a very attractive candidate, especially with the importance of a high RC..

I wouldn't assume that. I think an English major with all their Pre-Dent pre-reqs is a very attractive candidate, especially with the importance of a high RC..

As "attractive" as they may be, the ADEA does not accord them a category of their own.

Like I have stated before, you are right that engineers "appear" to have the edge, but it's a sample bias so realistically it doesn't matter which major you pick as long as you have a good GPA and taken all the prereqs.

you cannot necessarily look at the overall gpa or even science gpa of an engineer major. calculus based physics and the many high level math courses (non pre-reqs) can destroy a person's gpa. when i say destroy, i mean a B as many applicants will have A's on prereq's.

The reason that all the % accepted are not the same is because of the gpa's and DAT scores those students have.
Someone with a lets say "easy major" I am not naming one so I don't put anyone down, but we do know some majors give out 4.0s like candy.

They bomb the DAT and do not get in...

We need the DAT scores as well.

Thanks Toothache for posting the numbers. Its interesting to see the breakdown by degree.

Do you guys think that people with health science degrees degrees may be looked upon more favorably? For example, someone who has a nursing, pharmacy or physio degree doesn't have a typical science degree, but he/she has already proven him/herself to be capable of handling the workload involved with a specialized degree, and would be more likely to succeed in a Dent/Med program. There's also the added benefit of being familiar with bed side manner, health care system, etc.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks Toothache for posting the numbers. Its interesting to see the breakdown by degree.

Do you guys think that people with health science degrees degrees may be looked upon more favorably? For example, someone who has a nursing, pharmacy or physio degree doesn't have a typical science degree, but he/she has already proven him/herself to be capable of handling the workload involved with a specialized degree, and would be more likely to succeed in a Dent/Med program. There's also the added benefit of being familiar with bed side manner, health care system, etc.

Opinions? Thoughts?

One could argue that nursing and physio should not be grouped with pharmacy at least when it comes to "workload involved with a specialized degree".