Help update the Top 200 Spreadsheet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

All4MyDaughter

SDN Mommystrator
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I finally found this file that I posted waaaaay back last year. I'd like to get it updated this summer and could use some help.

We could consider expanding it to include the entire Top 300.
Another possibility is making it into a power point presentation.

Other tasks:
Checking what is already on the spreadsheet
Making sure that the spreadsheet contains no drugs that are now off the market.
Adding in new therapeutic agents that are important (Januvia comes to mind).
Etc.

If you can help, just download the file and post to let the others know what you'll be working on.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Top 200 Drugs.xls
    94 KB · Views: 519
Hello everyone!

I finally found this file that I posted waaaaay back last year. I'd like to get it updated this summer and could use some help.

We could consider expanding it to include the entire Top 300.
Another possibility is making it into a power point presentation.

Other tasks:
Checking what is already on the spreadsheet
Making sure that the spreadsheet contains no drugs that are now off the market.
Adding in new therapeutic agents that are important (Januvia comes to mind).
Etc.

If you can help, just download the file and post to let the others know what you'll be working on.

Januvia just kicked off a big television advertising campaign...

A wiki page format could be interesting of an approach where it could be updated/reviewed. Important notes could be added that way, to make it a little more helpful.

Zyrtec went OTC this year.
A powerpoint presentation might be too large to download.

Members don't see this ad :)
My sister has bad allergies. She has switched several times due to insurance reasons.

I recently went from loratadine to cetirizine and oh what a difference it made. I guess I'm lucky in that it doesn't make me drowsy. I've yet to try desloratadine or levocetirizine, but maybe I will once it goes generic.

And I'd like to see top 300...cuz I'm a freak like that.

That's what I did, but it's only modestly helpful. These second generation antihistamines really are 'hit-or-miss' for some folks.

Switch to xyzal then. Same 10 mg dose, but no longer a racemic mixture so you get 2x potency than cetirizine, unless my chemistry is off. Not sure if they'd cover it, but heck if Allegra ain't working, see if they'll PA it or something. My aunt got tons of free samples from her allergist. That'd be the cheaper way to go if you can swing it.

Switch to xyzal then. Same 10 mg dose, but no longer a racemic mixture so you get 2x potency than cetirizine, unless my chemistry is off. Not sure if they'd cover it, but heck if Allegra ain't working, see if they'll PA it or something. My aunt got tons of free samples from her allergist. That'd be the cheaper way to go if you can swing it.

I'm pretty sure that levocetirizine came in a 5mg dose only. So it's not really double the potency...I'll give it a whirl if I can get my hands on a sample, see how it stacks up to cetirizine. You can probably take 20mg of cetirizine safely...I remember reading something in drugdex about a guy taking 100+ tablets of the stuff but suffering only drowsiness.

I'm pretty sure that levocetirizine came in a 5mg dose only

You are right. It comes in 5mg tablet formulation as well as 0.5mg/1mL solution formulation. It is just 1/2 the dose of zytrec.

I recently went from loratadine to cetirizine and oh what a difference it made. I guess I'm lucky in that it doesn't make me drowsy. I've yet to try desloratadine or levocetirizine, but maybe I will once it goes generic.
I use all sorts of sinus medications. Generic Allegra and Flonase, Clarinex (desloratadine), Sudafed (30mg or 120mg), and a nasal moisturizing spray when my sinuses dry up. I like chlorpheneramine too if I need a quick fix; it's non-drowsy for all I'm concerned.

My allergy condition improves dramatically when I my apartment is clean. Even though my cleaning toys are fun, they really help when I'm too busy to maintain my apartment. After the Roomba trolls for 45 minutes, the floor is 90-95% spotless. The dust, hair, and dead skin cells are gone. I also have an air filter that helps too.

I use all sorts of sinus medications. Generic Allegra and Flonase, Clarinex (desloratadine), Sudafed (30mg or 120mg), and a nasal moisturizing spray when my sinuses dry up. I like chlorpheneramine too if I need a quick fix; it's non-drowsy for all I'm concerned.

My allergy condition improves dramatically when I my apartment is clean. Even though my cleaning toys are fun, they really help when I'm too busy to maintain my apartment. After the Roomba trolls for 45 minutes, the floor is 90-95% spotless. The dust, hair, and dead skin cells are gone. I also have an air filter that helps too.

Bah, why clean when you can pop a pill? Zyrtec lets me be the slob that I am.

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
adding key counseling points to that spreadsheet for each drug would help everybody too.....

Bah, why clean when you can pop a pill? Zyrtec lets me be the slob that I am.

:laugh:
I'm starting to connect your avatar with what you type. It's like ODB or whoever that is just typed "Bah, why clean when you can pop a pill? Zyrtec lets me be the slob that I am". It's very amusing! :laugh:

I'm pretty sure that levocetirizine came in a 5mg dose only. So it's not really double the potency...I'll give it a whirl if I can get my hands on a sample, see how it stacks up to cetirizine. You can probably take 20mg of cetirizine safely...I remember reading something in drugdex about a guy taking 100+ tablets of the stuff but suffering only drowsiness.

Yeah, 5 mg, oops.

adding key counseling points to that spreadsheet for each drug would help everybody too.....

Thats a great idea.

On the subject of allergies.. I get two shots every week, take fexofenadine, mometasone furoate, and use levalbuterol q6h or so.

allergies suck.

I was just playing around with the spreadsheet, and came up with this.. anyone else like?
76301903cl6.jpg

I was just playing around with the spreadsheet, and came up with this.. anyone else like?
I think that looks great! The summarized counseling points would be very helpful. Do you have it completed for all 200?

Fenderplayer-- counseling points look sweet, great job on the addition :thumbup:

lol. watch out, Fenderplayer108. pharmagirl's going to put you to work. :laugh:

Looks good.

:laugh: I was hinting for them to share it if it was finished. :thumbup: It was a great idea!

I just did the first few so I could see what everyone thought. I would like to get the updated list before I started doing all 200, but I can finish the rest during my down time in the next few days.

Thanks all.

Any progress on this? I wanted to participate too!

the counseling point addition looks great. nice use of office 2007 there too ;)

once i got used to office 2007, i never looked back.

That looks amazing!
I agree with 2007. It was rough at first, but now that I am used to it, I love it!
Where are you pulling the information from for these? I know when I study our Top 300 I useda similiar spreadsheet, but sometimes find it difficult to find conclusive information.

Hello,

I just checked the spreadsheet am wondering if its fully updated yet?? ...was gonna start studying it.

FYI, micromedex, uptodate, lexiComp has a section called patient counseling.

Hey...

I would love to see and add addition key information, dosing to the top 200. Can someone please post the file which includes counseling points and I will add to it. I am one a DI rotation currently and need something to do to pass some time...Thanks much!

Here's a previous year's list that I got from a classmate...its missing a few drugs, but it has indications, dosing info, contraindications, side effects, consultation suggestions, pregnancy category, and black box warnings.

If I get the full list, I'll post again. Have fun!
see attachment.

Attachments

• Top189.xls
    168 KB · Views: 1,279