I'm a hypocrite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iron Horse

The luckiest man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I shamefully preach the horrors of using Q-tips in the ear with patients by day, but in the dark corners of my apartment at night, I fervently twist away...I can't quit, but worst of all I don't want to.

Members don't see this ad.

I've always wondered about this whole Q-tip dilema. I've heard that you should never use Q-tips because they just push the wax farther into your ear, but I've also heard that they are perfectly OK to use and do not push the wax further into your ear. Can somebody set the record straight here? Any good references to support either theory?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told that it puts you at risk of damaging your eardrum; though, unless you somehow fell down while cleaning your ear and slammed that sucker on in there, I don't understand how you could be so maladroit!

~AS1~

All the ENTs I've ever asked this question have replied that it pushes ear wax further in, so it's ill-advisable to use cotton swabs to clean your ears.

Given that, then what the hell am I supposed to do with this squishy sound I get in my ear if I don't clean them out like eight times a day???

I knew a guy back in middle school who used to clean his ears out with his keys. Now *THAT'S* stupid.

Originally posted by Iron Horse
I shamefully preach the horrors of using Q-tips in the ear with patients by day, but in the dark corners of my apartment at night, I fervently twist away...I can't quit, but worst of all I don't want to.

:laugh: :laugh: i use the cover of my pen, is that worse?

We've been taught that you NEVER put Q-tips in your ear as it will compact wax and is dangerous. The best way to remove wax is to use those solutions/bulbs if need be.

Personally, I just love the feel of a Q-tip in my ear and there's nothing quite so satisfying as removing the squish and itch of ear wax.

Yes, I need help.

Originally posted by AlternateSome1
unless you somehow fell down while cleaning your ear and slammed that sucker on in there, I don't understand how you could be so maladroit!
This happened to someone I know! He had to spend the night in the hospital.

Originally posted by ******

Given that, then what the hell am I supposed to do with this squishy sound I get in my ear if I don't clean them out like eight times a day???

Heh. They sell those metal ear spoons...it's like a tiny spoon with a scoop at the end so u can scoop out the gush, unlike the swab where you push it. My mom uses that but you need two people to do it...

It's kind of freaky because what if you go in to far and damage your ears :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ******
All the ENTs I've ever asked this question have replied that it pushes ear wax further in, so it's ill-advisable to use cotton swabs to clean your ears.

does using ear plugs while studying damage your eardrums?

i can't go a day without my daily eargasm either. I've used q-tips for as long as i can remember, and my ears aren't impacted at all, at least according to my classmates who looked at them while practicing their clinical skills. maybe it depends onthe size of your ear canal-- if it's big enough, you may be able to get past the wax and the oh-so-good feeling twirl may be able to remove it better than if your ear canals are small and it just rams the cerumen further in.

either way, i'd rather suffer the occasional ear rinse or manual loop removal than to miss my daily eargasm.

take it easy

homonculus

Members don't see this ad :)
OO Last week on ER Dr. Carter told a patient not to clean his ear witha q-tip because it removes some of the protective wax that is need to prevent infection :D

You may, of course, always feel free to insert the tip of your elbow into your ear canal. Please attempt to do so now.

:D

Wow! I thought I was the only one with the Q-Tip addiction! Its great to know that I'm not being bad alone!

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med
Wow! I thought I was the only one with the Q-Tip addiction! Its great to know that I'm not being bad alone!

Maybe when I emerge from my precontemplative stage and consider changing my behavior we can start a support group...until then, don't ask me for a Q-tip.

I love getting the gunk out of my eyes when I wake up.

I can't believe someone quoted ER as an authoritative source. Besides, what's the big deal if you do get earwax impaction. It doesn't take that long to clean out, especially with when surrounded by medical students eager to try a new procedure. :)

Originally posted by Delvonik
I love getting the gunk out of my eyes when I wake up.

Trying to hijack this thread? :p

Originally posted by Desperado
I can't believe someone quoted ER as an authoritative source. Besides, what's the big deal if you do get earwax impaction. It doesn't take that long to clean out, especially with when surrounded by medical students eager to try a new procedure. :)

Wow! Ear wax! I can't wait to start my 3rd year rotations!!!!!

An ENT once recommended me to put a drop of mineral oil in each ear once a week to soften up the wax and then the next day use 3% hydrogen peroxide to bubble out the soften ear wax. I've never tried this and the thought of peroxide in my ear is scary:eek:

We learned that excessive Qtip use increases risk of infection (from the excoriation/removal of protective wax) and that if you do use Qtips it shouldn't go farther than your fingertip can reach. Hydrogen peroxide and water mixed 50/50 is supposed to help loosen earwax in those impacted patients and you will see them on rotations! Patients feel bubbles in their ears and it feels weird (some complain of transient dizziness-remember neuro, cold water in one ear causes nystagmus) but it's typically well tolerated. Cermunex is a solution you can prescribe to patients to soften earwax if it's a chronic problem and can't be debrided easily. Isn't it great what you pay to learn in med school!

I think everyone has an ear G-spot. That is the route of the Q-tip additiction... it's like a vibrator to our ears.:D

Originally posted by Dr. Whatever
I think everyone has an ear G-spot. That is the route of the Q-tip additiction... it's like a vibrator to our ears.:D

And here I thought I was special. :p

I hang out by a reef with small rasp cleaner fish to do the job. My ENT gave me an Rx and my insurance paid for my last trip to Belize.:D :D :D

"...rasp cleaner fish"????????:confused:

Originally posted by Dr. Whatever

oooooooh yes yes yes YES ... yes.

love the qtip. can't stop.

in japan nobody uses q-tips, but everyone uses those little spoons that someone alluded to earlier (except they are usually wood or plastic, not metal). You do need two people though.. In fact, there is nothing more romantic than cuddling up with your significant other for a little aural sex. :D

...it's gettin' hot in here...

:p