online MBA in healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onlinemba

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i am full time physician. i am interested in getting MBA degree. online seems like the only option. i am curious if anybody know about the online MBA programs and how to choose them.

Members don't see this ad.

hi i am full time physician. i am interested in getting MBA degree. online seems like the only option. i am curious if anybody know about the online MBA programs and how to choose them.

I would check out your state's public universities and see if any of them offer an online mba. In Mississippi, Mississippi State University (MSU) offers an MBA that you can either do on campus or online; the diploma is the same for both versions. I am not sure if the MSU program is open to out of state residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
posted this in another thread:

I'd go with AACSB schools but that is just me. There is only one online health mgmt MBA which is George Washington Univ. I'm not sure if they have requirements for classes on their campus or not. Some schools require you to go there for a week or a few weeks for seminars. Honestly, totally online you miss out on a lot of the purpose of an MBA. Especially if you have no business background. Just my opinion though.

Links for online MBA's in general:
http://www.geteducated.com/rankings/best_mbaaacsb.asp
http://www.allbusinessschools.com/featured/aacsb/

There is only one online health mgmt MBA which is George Washington Univ. I'm not sure if they have requirements for classes on their campus or not. Some schools require you to go there for a week or a few weeks for seminars

I found atleast 6-7 online mba program which provide MBA in healthcare.
so thats why i need to know how to choose one. i will list few here. let me know if you have any information or experience with any of these programs,
goerge washington university online MBA in healthcare
florida tech online MBA in healthcare
DeVry University - Keller Graduate School of Management
south university online MBA in healthcare
university of phoenix

I would check out your state's public universities and see if any of them offer an online mba. In Mississippi, Mississippi State University (MSU) offers an MBA that you can either do on campus or online; the diploma is the same for both versions. I am not sure if the MSU program is open to out of state residents.

Hi ,
I did not find any program in my state which provide MBA in healthcare.
regarding to your response to private universities, i agree that they are more expensive but i am not sure why they are less prestigious.
please respond.

I wouldn't touch any program other than GW since those other schools do not have the positive reputation that GW has. I personally wouldn't go for one of those "online" programs unless it had a good reputation, hence why I only considered GW. If you're set on an online program I would suggest that one but I'm probably biased against online education. Also the only reason why I said GW is the only one because its the only online program that's AACSB accredited.

Hi ,
I did not find any program in my state which provide MBA in healthcare.
regarding to your response to private universities, i agree that they are more expensive but i am not sure why they are less prestigious.
please respond.

sorry, I missed that you wanted an MBA with a healthcare concentration, and not just a regular MBA. I agree with mshheaddoc that GW is the best online MBA with a healthcare concentration.

There is nothing wrong with a private Univ, just a for-profit Univ like Devry or Phoenix. They have a reputation for watering down standards in return for tuition dollars.

Another online program to consider is Regis University. They do have an option for a healthcare concentration with their on-line mba. My father-in-law is doing their online mba (though I'm not sure if he's doing the healthcare concentration), and he thinks highly of it.

This is my first semester doing the MBA along with my MD program. The technology with regard to a "blackboard" system and information disbursement is smooth and user friendly.

Here is a link: http://www.valuemd.com/st-matthews-university-school-medicine/121695-davenport-questions.html

Davenport has a good reputation. Hope this helps. BTW, they offer a healthcare track.

The American College of Physician Executives (ACPE) lists 4 different programs (one is for an MBA, the other 3 are for an MMM)

http://www.acpe.org/Education/Master...expand=masters

I've corresponded with one physician who did his MBA at the University of Massachusetts. He thought that an MBA would provide him with more diverse and general skills, whereas an MMM was very focused only on healthcare (Masters in Medical Management).

Several business schools will waive the GMAT if you have a doctorate degree (U Mass, Drexel, etc.). That may help with the application process.

Finally, some schools will allow you to take a course of two before applying. You can test the waters that way. If you like the online experience, then you can formally apply and transfer those credits.

If you join the PRN members network, you'll meet some other physicians who have received online MBA degrees.

http://members.prnresource.com/

Joining is free and it seems like a nice way to network.

Also, take a look at some of these: "Top Business Graduate Schools for Physician Executives - 2008
Product: MODERNPHYSICIAN | Published: 04/28/08 |

Top Business Graduate Schools for Physician Executives - 2007
Product: MODERNPHYSICIAN | Published: 05/03/07 |

Top business graduate schools for physician-execs View the By the Numbers chart of top business graduate schools for physician-executives.
Product: MODERNPHYSICIAN | Published: 05/30/06 |

Top Business Graduate Schools for Physician Executives - 2006
Product: MODERNPHYSICIAN | Published: 04/27/06 |

Top Business Graduate Schools for Physician Executives - 2005
Product: MODERNPHYSICIAN | Published: 04/20/05 |

Top business graduate schools for physician-executives View a PDF version of "The List".
Product: MODERNPHYSICIAN | Published: 04/05/05 |

Go to Modern Physician and do a search. These will all pop up.

I wouldn't touch any program other than GW since those other schools do not have the positive reputation that GW has. I personally wouldn't go for one of those "online" programs unless it had a good reputation, hence why I only considered GW. If you're set on an online program I would suggest that one but I'm probably biased against online education. Also the only reason why I said GW is the only one because its the only online program that's AACSB accredited.

thanks for that. i have to look into AACSB accredition. I read some where that regional accredition is pretty good one. The only issue with GW MBA is it is way more expensive than other programs. I was specifially looking at Florida Tech University MBA in Healthcare program with Alliance university.
Any input about Florida Tech /Alliance university program MBA healthcare please.
thanks.