UMDNJ Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the OOS acceptance rate for the SOM? I'm also thinking of applying to RWJ.....

It is a deceiving statistic. Last time I checked, it appeared like it was 99+% instate, but that is because it is super easy to get state residency in NJ. Evidently you just get a driver's license and live there or something ridiculous like that, as such, their stats get a bit inflated. That was the last I heard. It may have changed since then.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a deceiving statistic. Last time I checked, it appeared like it was 99+% instate, but that is because it is super easy to get state residency in NJ. Evidently you just get a driver's license and live there or something ridiculous like that, as such, their stats get a bit inflated. That was the last I heard. It may have changed since then.
Thanks for the info.

So that statistic is based upon matriculants who switched to NJ residency after getting in? Getting instate tuition there would kick ass since most other DO schools are so expensive.

I THINK that is how it works. They could still be greatly instate biased, but it def. isn't 99% or whatever the statistic they show is. I think residency and residency for tuition purposes are both easy to get there. You have to distinguish the two. Just because you are a "resident" of a certain state, doesn't always guarantee you can get instate tuition.

Going from OOS to IS tuition is on a case by case basis. However, it is not difficult. If you are OOS, initially you will be charged OOS tuition, but if you are approved to have IS tuition, your account will be credited.

so does anyone have SOM as their first choice of DO schools???

for the price, i sure hope to go there, but you don't hear much talk about it on SDN. PCOM is my very near second choice.

if you have any interest, apply early as possible. i am sure class statistics for next year's class will be better than this year's :smuggrin:

Does anybody know how to fill out the secondary application, since it is in a read-only PDF file.

I want to try and printing it out and handwriting, but I cant seem to get around the format its in and enter in information.

Any suggestions?

for the price, i sure hope to go there, but you don't hear much talk about it on SDN. PCOM is my very near second choice.

if you take account off the small class size, umdnj has the strongest match list. factor in cheap tuition and it cant be beat.

Does anybody know how to fill out the secondary application, since it is in a read-only PDF file.

I want to try and printing it out and handwriting, but I cant seem to get around the format its in and enter in information.

Any suggestions?

I used typewriter feature with adobe pro. I bought it dirt cheap from my university, but most any campus computer lab will have it. There might be open source software that does it too.

To everyone that was accepted to the UMDNJ Newark MS or MBS, join the facebook group. "UMDNJ-MS/MBS (Newark)" Or PM me your name and I will add you as a friend.

Members don't see this ad :)

Its in my Top 3 along with NYCOM and PCOM. Don't know which between them yet, just hope to get into one.

So HOW friendly is UMDNJ-SOM to OOS students ? I haven't been able to find a statistic yet?

So HOW friendly is UMDNJ-SOM to OOS students ? I haven't been able to find a statistic yet?

I called the admissions office a few weeks ago and asked them if they showed preference to in-state applicants. The lady said that they did not. She said that their statistics are a bit misleading (something like 95% instate). That stat includes people that change their state residency to NJ after they were accepted. Also, I've heard some people on here say that all you need to do to change your residency after you get accepted is to get a NJ drivers licnece.

Hope that helps. Someone correct me if they have heard differently.

Thanks for that info Spooner.... I found this data online for the 2005 app. year....

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled

Total: 2,808 321 178
Out of-state: 432 163 83 64
Out-of-state: 2,376 158 95 39

Women: 1,532 193 120 71

Minorities: 1,230 73 89 43 International: 0 0 0 0

Last edited:
Thanks for that info Spooner.... I found this data online for the 2005 app. year....

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled

Total: 2,808 321 178
Out of-state: 432 163 83 64
Out-of-state: 2,376 158 95 39

Women: 1,532 193 120 71

Minorities: 1,230 73 89 43 International: 0 0 0 0

Nice research. Hey, but is the top line supposed to be "in-state"? If so, then I guess the school would appear to be in-state friendly (guess these are the misleading stats the lady was talking about). Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something earlier. I have the princeton review book from 2006 and under the description for UMDNJ it says that it does not show preference to state residents. I'm really glad they don't because this school looks pretty awesome.

Good luck during this app cycle.

The secondary sayd to limit your essay to one page. do they mean one page for each question or one page for both questions?? anyone?? thanks in advance!

Its in my Top 3 along with NYCOM and PCOM. Don't know which between them yet, just hope to get into one.

...that's because you live somewhere in the Tri- state area.

I was verified in the beginning of August. I still haven't gotten the secondary for UMDNJ or NYCOM. Should I be worried?????

I was verified in the beginning of August. I still haven't gotten the secondary for UMDNJ or NYCOM. Should I be worried?????

Wouldn't be too worried about it. Give it another week or two then give UMDNJ a call and ask if you want.

NYCOM only gives out secondaries to those that are invited to interview. As far as I can see (on SDN that is) no one has heard a thing. Don't expect to hear anything from them yet.

Def Call UMDNJ. I got a random call a few weeks ago, from UMDNJ, asking if I was planning on submitting my secondary. I told them that I sure was... but that I had not received it yet. Apparently they made a mistake and never sent it to me. THank god they called. I know it sounds silly but it also made me feel a little recruited..lol.

I second that. Definitely call them asap. I too was verified early august but didn't here peep from them. So i decided to call and got my secondary in 5 minutes.

I did not hear anything from them, so I sent them an email yesterday to see what my status was, as I have not received a secondary from them. I got a response today saying go to their website and go ahead and print and send in the secondary. I would def. call or email them.

UMDNJ was really busy the last couple of weeks. I called about two weeks ago and the lady was busy working on the white coat ceremony and incoming class stuff, so she said she hadn't even started to look at the stack of applications on her desk.

I second that. Definitely call them asap. I too was verified early august but didn't here peep from them. So i decided to call and got my secondary in 5 minutes.

I called today, and they said there was some error with their system and they meant to send me one a while back. The lady said she was glad I called.

My advice for anyone that didn't receive their secondary yet:
CALL THEM!!!

1)UMDNJ-SOM does not screen. All applicants are welcomed to print out and fill out the secondary found on the website. No application will be considered without the secondary.

So if you plan to apply to UMDNJ-SOM, fill out the secondary.

2) Please ensure that the e-mail you supply on the application is the one that you use. Every time an application comes in, an e-mail goes out to that person to invite them to fill out the secondary. The e-mail address is the one that is found on the application. Calls have been coming in that an e-mail was not received and the applicant never checked the e-mail provided.

got the call today with an interview invite!!! This is one of my top schools...

Be on the lookout im sure you guys will be getting the call soon

PS. does anybody know the % of interviewed students that get accepted OOS?

Hey everyone, just wondering if I am allowed to go ahead and fill out and send out my secondary without having gotten an invitation to do so?

My aacomas application has been complete for 5-8 days now and I'm thinking on just filling the secondary out and sending it.... since it is online... ????

yes, u can.

Hey everyone, just wondering if I am allowed to go ahead and fill out and send out my secondary without having gotten an invitation to do so?

My aacomas application has been complete for 5-8 days now and I'm thinking on just filling the secondary out and sending it.... since it is online... ????

Does anyone know their accepted/matriculant stats? I am interested in their DO/PhD program, though I know you have to be accepted to their DO program first, and then apply PhD.

Does anyone know their accepted/matriculant stats? I am interested in their DO/PhD program, though I know you have to be accepted to their DO program first, and then apply PhD.

Hi,
I am a first year student at UMDNJ-SOM. The stats for the matriculated first years are:

29 mcat
3.55 gpa

This is directly from a doctor on the admissions committee.

Hope this helps.

I have spoken with several med school recruiting directors who said this is a bad idea. Granted, I haven't spoken to anyone from UMDNJ about this specifically. Still, I think its smart to fill it out but don't send it in until they ask for it. It took them a while to send me a secondary so if you get started on it and hold it until you get the invite then you'll be ahead of the game.

I have spoken with several med school recruiting directors who said this is a bad idea. Granted, I haven't spoken to anyone from UMDNJ about this specifically. Still, I think its smart to fill it out but don't send it in until they ask for it. It took them a while to send me a secondary so if you get started on it and hold it until you get the invite then you'll be ahead of the game.
It doesnt look like they send secondaries to everybody. They are pretty unorganized. My aacomas was sent out to schools on 8/6.. and i have yet to receive a secondary from them. So i called them to ask about it, and they said.. oh if we didnt send it to you, just go to our website and access print out the secondary and fill it out. So, they don't really care.

I would call and see if they have your AACOMAS application, if so, then go ahead and submit their secondary.

I did the same... at first they said that they didn't get my AACOMAS application but when I said that it had been verified 4 weeks ago all of a sudden they did have it...? Anyways I asked if I can go ahead and sent the secondary out and they said yes.

:)

Anyone have an interview there yet?

got the call today with an interview invite!!! This is one of my top schools...

Be on the lookout im sure you guys will be getting the call soon

PS. does anybody know the % of interviewed students that get accepted OOS?

Congrats on the interview!

Despite what their website says, I have been told that according to their stats they don't really have preference for in-state. In fact, I'm guessing that they may give preference to OOS because they suck an extra $10,000 per year out of you.

Congrats on the interview!

Despite what their website says, I have been told that according to their stats they don't really have preference for in-state. In fact, I'm guessing that they may give preference to OOS because they suck an extra $10,000 per year out of you.

That would be true if most, probably all, OOS students did not easily become instate and pay IS tuition.

Please ensure that you know your facts before you disparage a school.

That would be true if most, probably all, OOS students did not easily become instate and pay IS tuition.

Please ensure that you know your facts before you disparage a school.

What I said wasn't meant negatively toward UMDNJ. In fact, I am applying there and would be more than happy to pay OOS tuition. My point is that their stats don't reflect the high number of in-state acceptances of other schools like OUCOM or TCOM.

Besides, even though students are paying IS after the first year, they still have to pay $10,000 more the first year. That's a lot of money. But, of course this isn't just a UMDNJ thing... plenty of schools are doing it.

No one is attacking your school EMT2ER-DOC so there is no need to get on the defensive. I'm just trying to answer the question.

Does andone know if UMDNJ heavily screens pre-secondary. I am contacting schools and updating them on my current clinical exposures because I want them to be considered, but I only need to send the letter if there is a chance I may not be able to talk about my new experiences on the secondary app. Any info would be great...thanks!

What I said wasn't meant negatively toward UMDNJ. In fact, I am applying there and would be more than happy to pay OOS tuition. My point is that their stats don't reflect the high number of in-state acceptances of other schools like OUCOM or TCOM.

Besides, even though students are paying IS after the first year, they still have to pay $10,000 more the first year. That's a lot of money. But, of course this isn't just a UMDNJ thing... plenty of schools are doing it.

No one is attacking your school EMT2ER-DOC so there is no need to get on the defensive. I'm just trying to answer the question.

I am not defensive. However, I would like to let you know that our admissions people DO look at this website. And they DO read these posts. And the comment you made, while you may not have made it to be negative did come off as if you were being harsh of the school. Now I read plenty of threads here in which pre-meds are being very critical of medical schools and I ask whether or not that is a smart move?

All Adcoms know about SDN and many do read this site.

As for your question, I was in a meeting with the Admissions Director this morning and she told us (student tour guides) about this new policy. Truth of the matter is that this was always the policy, but the 3 medical schools decided to be a little more lax with it. As a result, all of the graduate schools became angry and the University President decided to do away with that practice. As a result, here are the requirement for In-State tuition if you are an Out of State Student:

1) Bring in a copy of your recent lease that shows you were living in NJ for 1 year.
2) Bring in a copy of your NJ Driver's License (yes you do have to change your DL)
3) Bring in a copy of your NJ Car Registration (yes you have to register your car to NJ).
4) If you own your own car, you must have NJ Car Insurance.

Once this is done, you are considered an IS student and get IS tuition for the remainder of your time with is.

The Admissions Director told us that OOS students get the SAME consideration as IS students.

The point of my earlier post was not meant to be upset, it was meant to show you that you should be careful with how you word things on these forums, especially if you are applying to medical schools and the adcoms read these forums.

Does andone know if UMDNJ heavily screens pre-secondary. I am contacting schools and updating them on my current clinical exposures because I want them to be considered, but I only need to send the letter if there is a chance I may not be able to talk about my new experiences on the secondary app. Any info would be great...thanks!

We do not screen. Just go to the website and fill out the secondary. If you have new experiences, I suggest you update your AACOMAS. They will send in the new application.

so u are saying we can update accomas after our applications have been verified? cos I have been shadowing a D.O. but started after I submitted my AACOMAS. I can actually add it? so how do we update AACOMAS? send them an email?

We do not screen. Just go to the website and fill out the secondary. If you have new experiences, I suggest you update your AACOMAS. They will send in the new application.

so u are saying we can update accomas after our applications have been verified? cos I have been shadowing a D.O. but started after I submitted my AACOMAS. I can actually add it? so how do we update AACOMAS? send them an email?

Unless things have changed since I applied, I believe they tell you on the website that if something has changed, you should let them know and they will add it. Double check on the website, but I am sure this is the case.

I emailed AACOMAS, will let u guys know what happens...

Unless things have changed since I applied, I believe they tell you on the website that if something has changed, you should let them know and they will add it. Double check on the website, but I am sure this is the case.

I have also emailed them! haha hopefully they will get back to either of us ASAP. I will post once I get a response as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.