Essilor Ovation vs. Varilux Comfort

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbizzaro

Varilux/Essilor Advocate
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is everyone's opinion on how the essilor ovation compares to the varilux comfort? i personally think the varilux comfort outperforms the ovation 100 fold, but i'm just curious about other opinions

Members don't see this ad.

I think ovations are equal to that of a varilux. 95% of people see just fine out of either when switching from one to another. I think opticians/opt techs etc would be better suited to answer this question than OD's. Nothing against OD's but they aren't dealing one on one with people when they come back in for adjustments etc. (usually patients will provide feedback when they come back in for adjustments). I've worked at 2 different places that sold ovations and varilux and when you compare price and everything else.....I think the ovation is BETTER (factoring in price b/c I believe varilux is WAY overpriced. JMO)

I think ovations are equal to that of a varilux. 95% of people see just fine out of either when switching from one to another. I think opticians/opt techs etc would be better suited to answer this question than OD's. Nothing against OD's but they aren't dealing one on one with people when they come back in for adjustments etc. (usually patients will provide feedback when they come back in for adjustments). I've worked at 2 different places that sold ovations and varilux and when you compare price and everything else.....I think the ovation is BETTER (factoring in price b/c I believe varilux is WAY overpriced. JMO)

since you've worked with them before, what were you charged wholesale for those lenses? and how much were they marked up where you worked?

Members don't see this ad :)
since you've worked with them before, what were you charged wholesale for those lenses? and how much were they marked up where you worked?

This should probably be PM material. This is a public board.

When I was working at Pearle we always recommended the Varilux, especially for first-time PAL wearers, because the channel is wider. It's not a huge seller though because of how much more it costs.

As an optician, I notice that the Varilux Comfort is easier to adjust to and is more comfortable for patients.

I've worked at two different places, one a private doctor office and another at a chain optical.

For first time progressive wearers, both are fine, however if you were to change a varilux comfort wearer to an Ovation, it's a little more difficult for the patient to adjust to.

Most places sell the ovations more and pushes it more because they can surface it in house and make more profit. Working at a chain optical, our commissions were more if we sold Ovations, therefore, many salesmen lied to patients saying it is identical.

Varilux is definately better, but there are many other lens that are much better than Varilux comfort.

As an optician, I notice that the Varilux Comfort is easier to adjust to and is more comfortable for patients.

I've worked at two different places, one a private doctor office and another at a chain optical.

For first time progressive wearers, both are fine, however if you were to change a varilux comfort wearer to an Ovation, it's a little more difficult for the patient to adjust to.

Most places sell the ovations more and pushes it more because they can surface it in house and make more profit. Working at a chain optical, our commissions were more if we sold Ovations, therefore, many salesmen lied to patients saying it is identical.

Varilux is definately better, but there are many other lens that are much better than Varilux comfort.

if you had unlimited cash, and you needed to buy a pair of progressives for a 50 year old friend, which would you go for? (in other words, which lens do you think is top of the line for progressives)

if you had unlimited cash, and you needed to buy a pair of progressives for a 50 year old friend, which would you go for? (in other words, which lens do you think is top of the line for progressives)

DEFINITY hands down. I loved the lens right when J and J introduced them and before when Essilor picked them up.

Again, I'm not a progressive wearer however from patient's feedbacks, the Definity lens are by far the best I've dispensed. The hardest patient's to fit progressive I usually encounter are computer wearer and dentists who have a difficult time with the intermediate region. The definity seems to have the widest intermediate and near channel with less distortion on the side.

Other reason some people do not adapt to progressive is because they look down when they walk ,for instance when they are walking up stairs. Again, I find that the definity lens ground view area works very well. (highly recommended for golfers)

This is just based upon my observation and experience along with customer's feedback. I normally dispense varilux comfort to patients so most of these comparisons were made with the varilux comfort lens. The lens were designed by Johnson and Johnson and I know that essilor picked them up and made the Physio 360 very similiar to the definity. There is a reason why Essilor would go out and purchase the rights of a lens from a different company.

Last edited:
I have never had the oppertunity to dispense the ovation lens but I do often sell the comfort. Patients who have had the comfort never want to change and are very happy with the product. I believe that for a lens design that is almost older than me, it is super over priced. If I needed to wear a progressive lens I would chose the Hoya DFX 1.5 with super HI-vis AR. It is a new design that does not have as much distorsion outside the channel and a more generous reading area, especially for a person with a high add.