Malpractice Insurance for Foreign Elective Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prion

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi.

I just had an elective at the National Neuroscience Institute in Singapore.

I'm planning to do a 4-week elective in UCSD. However, UCSD requires a medical malpractice insurance for application. Does anyone know of an American Insurance company who can provide medical malpractice insurance for foreign elective students?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any ideas? So many programs require this insurance before even accepting applications...

Hi,I'm an italian student in your same situation,I'm trying to apply in the Corneill University in NY, did you find the way to do the malpractice insurance? thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are two contacts I was provided with through Downstate Uni, NY:

Stewart Smith Mid-America
30 South Walker Drive
Suite 2706
Chicago, IL 60606
Telephone Number - (312) 236-7333

Steve Capone
Vice-President & Senior Underwriter
Academic Health Professionals Insurance Association
A Reciprocal Insurer
Telephone: (646) 808-0591
[email protected]

I'm sure you may find other companies if you do more extensive search. Good luck :)

well i guess that malpractise insurance is way too high. i doubt if a medschool that does not have it will probably not buy it as it is generally integrated in the medschool fee for schools in US. Even some carrebian schools have this malpractise insurance. i am also trying for this insurance but i doubt if my college will buy it. if you people get to know how to come around this tedious task please do inform me.
thanx

I used this one and it cost $1250 for a policy that lasted one year. Unfortunately, the minimal amount of time you can get a policy for is 1 year, even if you only need it for 4 weeks. They were really nice though, helpful, and quick turn around.

AmWINS Brokerage of Illinois, LLC
T - 312.575.9268
F - 312.575.9297

My contact was Barbara Babiak.
[email protected] She was great!

Word of warning:
Many third world and developing countries (like mine) don't accept malpractice insurance.
If you do something wrong it's basically a criminal procedure and not a civil one.

Most medical schools provide the coverage for you. If they don't, there is a brokerage that specializes in med mal coverage. Professional Medical Insurance Services 800-593-2467.

The policies are issued for a 1 year term but you can cancel it when you want. They also finance the premium. Hope this helps & Good Luck! :luck:

I'm actually in opposite situation...I attend a U.S. medical school and I really want to do an away rotation in Canada...I've already applied and paid $290!!! but my school just informed me that my school's malpractice insurance will not cover me in canada because it only covers the U.S. WTH??? I'm so mad, but anyone else in that situation? can I buy malpractice insurance in Canada for a month rotation? the Canadian school REQUIRES malpractice insurance :(

thanks,

I'm actually in opposite situation...I attend a U.S. medical school and I really want to do an away rotation in Canada...I've already applied and paid $290!!! but my school just informed me that my school's malpractice insurance will not cover me in canada because it only covers the U.S. WTH??? I'm so mad, but anyone else in that situation? can I buy malpractice insurance in Canada for a month rotation? the Canadian school REQUIRES malpractice insurance :(

thanks,

any luck - i am also planning on doing an elective in canada next month - any help will be appreciated

any luck - i am also planning on doing an elective in canada next month - any help will be appreciated

+1

I'm in the same boat. I need an insurance company that will cover me for a rotation in Canada. Anyone?!?!?!

HKMB Hub out of Ontario seems to offer what some posters are looking for (insurance for a cdn rotation).

hi, I am in Turkey and want to attend as an elective in UK. but they want a 'liability insurance for away study' from my school or country which has not any type of insurance like this. How can I get it? Could anyone help me?

Can anyone who has personal experience purchasing malpractice insurance for an elective in the US recommend a decent company and price?

I only need it for 8 weeks.

Usually the malpractice insurance is covered by Medical Defence Association in your country of study. In UK it is provided for free to medical students registered with Association. It can also be provided by your medical school, but you will need to check that.

yeah, these guys MPS cover us for free, worldwide, but perhaps only for UK/Irish students - however they cover North American students in our class too so maybe check out their website?

I'm a medical student from Saudi Arabia,
I'm also having the same problem and would like to know how much medical malpractice for overseas student would cost. If any have experience in this please help.
Thanks.

HI ..I have a problem with malpractice insurance ! I am a clinical students in my last year of med school and got accepted to Gemelli hospital in Rome Italy to do the remaining of my rotations but they are asking for malpractice insurance which covers me in Italy! !!! I have contacted lots of insurance companies around European Union and Italy but all said they just cover doctors and no students! !! I am really stuck with this malpractice insurance and my time is running out! Anyone knows of any insurance company who provides students with malpractice insurance around Europe? Any information is appreciated please.
Ps: I am a none EU citizen.