Nontrad FAQ/Sticky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to make a new sticky for this forum to help the noobs--not sure why we still don't have one. Can some of you old-timers (heh, get it???) help me out by posting links to useful threads that should be included? I'll include all the currently stickied threads, plus here's the one for PhDs-to-MDs from Physician Scientist.

Members don't see this ad.

Q- Can we link to pre-allo threads? I think that what non-trads first visiting the site sometimes need is a basic understanding of the process and how they can get started (postbacs, MCAT, clinical volunteering, etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
personally I'm a fan of the nontrad ages thread.
Got it, thanks.

Q- Can we link to pre-allo threads? I think that what non-trads first visiting the site sometimes need is a basic understanding of the process and how they can get started (postbacs, MCAT, clinical volunteering, etc.).
Sure. Any threads in particular, or do you just want me to direct all the noobs to PA? :p

Maybe we could link to the FAQs in PA and PO? Any other threads in those forums that should be added?

Got it, thanks.

Sure. Any threads in particular, or do you just want me to direct all the noobs to PA? :p

Maybe we could link to the FAQs in PA and PO? Any other threads in those forums that should be added?

I think a few non-trad specific topics would be about working while in school, what an SMP is, and family + school.

??

Don't forget the low GPA thread and the "study habits of 30+ MCAT scorers" for inspiration....

Ok, so I will link to FAQs in MCAT and in Post-Bacc also. breeak, are there any threads about working and family that you've found particularly helpful? I'm really not in a position (time or experience-wise) to be the one writing advice on these topics!

Ok, so I will link to FAQs in MCAT and in Post-Bacc also. breeak, are there any threads about working and family that you've found particularly helpful? I'm really not in a position (time or experience-wise) to be the one writing advice on these topics!

Haha, I was hoping the topic prompt would remind people of threads they liked since specifics weren't popping to my mind either. There are some helpful threads about load balancing over in the post-bacc forum that I remember about HES, but the threads themselves were HES specific.

Buuuuuuuuuut, thinking.......here are a couple of suggested threads to include:
engineering -> MD career switching - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=299433

Balancing family - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528912

And I'll go ahead and answer a common question:

Do ADCOMs view a less-than-full course load unfavorably?
-My answer: no, depending on what else you are doing. The most important thing is to get A's. Ideally you do as much as you can while still getting A's, which might mean working full-time + 2 classes + volunteering, or might mean working full-time + family + 1 class + volunteering, etc.

Just a general forum FYI: several of the Nontrad forum sticky links were no longer working after SDN switched servers a couple of weeks ago. I believe that I have repaired all of the broken links now, but if anyone finds some that I've missed, please post here or let me know by PM.