Tattoos...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SundayT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a small tattoo on either my inner wrist or back of the neck for the past 3-4 years now, but I'm wondering how unprofessional it would look if I'm in the medical field. Do any of you have tattoos in visible areas that you now regret? Should I rethink this?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is worth the risk. The medical field is quite conservative, and it would more than likely not come across well to many of the people whom you'd interact with (including the adcoms who will interview you). You have to assume that most people will know about it (whether they see it themselves or are informed by a third party witness).

If you must do it, get it in a spot that few will ever see (I'll let you figure out what works best for you in that regards).

uh, yeah. its fine to get a tat, but don't get one that is visible if you ever want to get a job (aside from in construction, trucking etc). like, don't get "thug life" on your forehead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, they do make makeup specifically to cover up tattoos. If it became an issue, or you wanted to head off an issue, you could always use that.

The above posters have important points to consider as well.

uh, yeah. its fine to get a tat, but don't get one that is visible if you ever want to get a job (aside from in construction, trucking etc). like, don't get "thug life" on your forehead.

DAMNET!!! Just the other week i was talking to a pre-allo here on SDN and he swore to me that adcoms loved applicants with thug life tattooed on their forehead. I KNEW he was lying but he swore to me he was only trying to help me out in this long and frustrating application process. UUUUUUUUGH! And he said to get it in red ink because the color would show that I'm not afraid of blood and am ready to become a physician!!!

I'm so heated right now.

I have a large butterfly tattoo, but it's not visible unless I'm wearing a tank top so like others have said, if you really want one, definitely get one that is not visible when you are in a professional environment.

Well, they do make makeup specifically to cover up tattoos. If it became an issue, or you wanted to head off an issue, you could always use that.

The above posters have important points to consider as well.

or you can save yourself the trouble and not get a visible tattoo as others have suggested

or you can save yourself the trouble and not get a visible tattoo as others have suggested

Also an option, which is why I pointed out that previous posters had valid points to consider. The OP has to decide for him/herself how important getting the tattoo is, and I was simply pointing out that just because you have a visible tattoo doesn't mean it always has to show.

if you must get a visible tattoo, how about waiting til matriculation?

but what if "thug life" is written REALLY small?? haha jk.

okay, well i'm really debating whether i should get it after all. i don't know if i want it any other place than the wrist or neck...sooo we'll see. thanks for all of your input! :)

I've been wanting to get a small tattoo on either my inner wrist or back of the neck for the past 3-4 years now, but I'm wondering how unprofessional it would look if I'm in the medical field. Do any of you have tattoos in visible areas that you now regret? Should I rethink this?

Agree with the folks who say if you haven't gotten a tattoo yet, you avoid a ton of headaches if you get it someplace that will be covered by your scrubs. While tattoos have gained acceptance with the current younger generation, there are older patients and physicians who still mentally live in an era where tattoos were only really seen on sailors, bikers and criminals. You don't want to be in a situation where you are constantly having to cover up your neck or wrist while working on the wards.

You could get a white ink tattoo....you can hardly see them unless you know they are there so it shoudn't interfere with a job.

228654923_a6dfaf9741.jpg

also they have UV tattoos that are almost invisible to the naked eye but glow under a black light....

2007-6-16-tattoos

Definitely do not get a tattoo that will show in your normal work attire. Something on your upper arm, back, or leg should be fine, but your patients and many of your potential future bosses will not think it professional to have one showing at work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I am pretty covered in tattoos. When I have my lab coat on you can't see anything but if I have both arms done almost all the way down. I know for a fact OHSU allows tattoos. It just depends on where you want to work. Also, what specialty you want to go into. Consider what you will be wearing most of the time!

I have a tattoo, though it is on my stomach/hip area. I would say if you really want that tattoo, get it. You can cover it up. You only live once and geting it when you are 30 may seem like you are trying to live as someone younger. I would say get it and live up your younger years.

Personally, I am pretty covered in tattoos. When I have my lab coat on you can't see anything but if I have both arms done almost all the way down. I know for a fact OHSU allows tattoos. It just depends on where you want to work. Also, what specialty you want to go into. Consider what you will be wearing most of the time!

I don't think any place has hard and fast rules about tattoos (I might be wrong) but just b/c a place allows it, just like law2doc said, most senior faculty members and patients look down upon visible tattoos.

and what exactly is the point of a white tattoo? those things are hideous, and as far as I can see they are still visible. although they might confuse old people, which might be funny.

I have a large black latin cross that goes across my left rib cage :) I love it!! And a great thing about this is, nobody ever sees it unless I take my shirt off which I am guessing is not going to be too common of a thing in the medical field...

I have a tattoo, though it is on my stomach/hip area. I would say if you really want that tattoo, get it. You can cover it up. You only live once and geting it when you are 30 may seem like you are trying to live as someone younger. I would say get it and live up your younger years.

The "you only live once" argument doesn't really make sense for permanent things. That's an argument you make for things that are fleeting, where you get one shot at it. While it may seem like you are "trying to live as someone younger" if you get a tattoo at 30, you will still have the same tattoo at 30 if you get it at 20 -- it seems just as desperate (the observer doesn't know when you got it). You also have to bear in mind that what seems like a good idea at 20 really might not seem like such a good idea years later. Which is why tattoo removal is a booming business right now. At any rate, that's neither here nor there. If you are going to get a tattoo, get one in a location that folks won't see and take issue with. Shoulderblades, chest, abdomen, ankles, legs, back all are covered in the OR and wards so you can do what you'd like there. Arms, neck, face should be kept un-inked from here on out.

I have a very small black star on my wrist and a small design on my ankle. I got both when I was a teenager and before giving any thought to my future career.
I covered them both up with make-up for my interviews, just to be on the safe side. I won't bother in the future though, cause they're very small and not really noticeable under, say, a watch, unless you're really looking.

I have a fairly large tattoo on my forearm that I got about eight years ago when I was nineteen and hadn't even considered going back to school. Now that I am 26 (almost 27) and applying to medical school I really regret not getting it in a place I could easily hide it. Even now, working as a paramedic I find my self wearing a sweater (yes, the Mr. Rogers sweater) whenever in contact with pt.s, this is especially uncomfortable when ambient temperatures are upwards of 80 degrees (anything higher and I forgo it as I'd rather have them think what they will about tats instead of think how gross I am for sweating on them!). I don't really regret getting a tat, however I wish had some foresight when I was younger and not gotten it where I did.

Please, listen to what others have said and get it somewhere discreet...

Also, should we make a sticky of this, it seems to come up at least twice a year for the last few years?

The "you only live once" argument doesn't really make sense for permanent things. That's an argument you make for things that are fleeting, where you get one shot at it. While it may seem like you are "trying to live as someone younger" if you get a tattoo at 30, you will still have the same tattoo at 30 if you get it at 20 -- it seems just as desperate (the observer doesn't know when you got it). You also have to bear in mind that what seems like a good idea at 20 really might not seem like such a good idea years later. Which is why tattoo removal is a booming business right now. At any rate, that's neither here nor there. If you are going to get a tattoo, get one in a location that folks won't see and take issue with. Shoulderblades, chest, abdomen, ankles, legs, back all are covered in the OR and wards so you can do what you'd like there. Arms, neck, face should be kept un-inked from here on out.

I agree yes one would still have it at 30 but it is slightly different to get one at 30 rather than have one at 30 from 20. I do agree with the location as most other people say but if your heart is set on a visible place then go for it. I also see your point on the "only live once thing" but to each his own. It will be your tattoo. Not anyone elses so if you are happy with it, then there is your answer.

Tattoos are for tools...

I've always been a big fan of tattoos, and I'm actually waiting to see how the F2ink does on the market, it's in the testing process right now. You can google Freedom 2 ink if you want to learn about it, I'm personally waiting to get my tattoo done because I like the concept of this ink. It's not that I don't want my tattoo to be permanent, it's just that I'm wary of it bleeding out over the next few decades, or stretch marks/scarring accidents, and the option to "erase" it and redo it all nice and clean is just really attractive. I'm kind of perfectionist when it comes to drawing/painting in general, so you can imagine how I'd feel about art going on my body, hah.

I want to mine done on the inner forearm. Haven't decided whether to do it just under my wrist, or closer up to my elbow.

I will say that inner wrist tattoos tend to fade/bleed faster, just FYI.
I have also seen many of my hospital coworkers sporting tattoos, ranging from full sleeves to small ankle designs. As long as you can cover it for interview scenarios, I think you'll be ok. :)

a good number of people in our class have tattoos. but not one has it in a place that is not easily covered up when necessary

If you really only want it on the wrist or neck, then you should get it there. Wrist ones can probably be covered with a watch or wristband depending on how large it is. Would you be disappointed having it somewhere else on your body? If so, don't settle since it's going to be permanent, get it where you really want it.

If you really only want it on the wrist or neck, then you should get it there. Wrist ones can probably be covered with a watch or wristband depending on how large it is. Would you be disappointed having it somewhere else on your body? If so, don't settle since it's going to be permanent, get it where you really want it.

Yeah, I've always wanted it on my inner wrist...if I had to get it somewhere else, I don't know if I'd even want it anymore. I could cover it up with a watch or something, but I think the wristband would have to be pretty thick. My wrist is small, and the tattoo's probably going to be about 1.5" long, so a big watch might look weird. Hmm, I'll take all of this into account before I do it...

don't get it! i regret my tattoo. i have one on my inner wrist and i thought it was too big. i still like it but wish it had been a little smaller. makeup doesn't cover it trust me. i tried the tattoo makeup but even that doesn't work too well as you have to put on like 5 layers and over time the sweat dilutes it and it shows and also the colors don't blend too well it looks like you have a huge patch of discoloration on your arm.
im glad i only have one. i am never getting anymore bigger than 1 sq inch EVER.

Just make sure that if you do get one and it is in plain view that it says something like "The MCAT is my B**CH". Then I don't think that it will matter if the adcoms can see it.

Just a thought.

I have a very small black star on my wrist and a small design on my ankle. I got both when I was a teenager and before giving any thought to my future career.
I covered them both up with make-up for my interviews, just to be on the safe side. I won't bother in the future though, cause they're very small and not really noticeable under, say, a watch, unless you're really looking.

i also have a small tattoo on my inner wrist. i'm planning on covering it up with makeup or even a small bandaid for interviews. it is pretty much always covered by my watch anyway - it took my dad almost 2 years to notice it!

OP, though I go back and forth about it, I'm mostly glad i got it. and that it is on my wrist. that is where i wanted it, and wouldn't have any other place it would have been "right" for in my mind.

i'm thinking of getting another one soon - i think on my upper calf. (that is a bit easier to hide).

i would suggest (maybe) doing what i did. i drew the design on exactly where i wanted it and did that for a week or so before i decided to have it done. see if a lot of people notice. see if you can cover it up if need be. it may help you to decide:)

Tattoos are for tools...

****ing A. And why you would even consider getting one that is visible in normal clothes is unfathomable. If you really want to flout social conventions do something original.

Can vouch for this at OHSU. A couple of my classmates have upper arm tattoos visible in scrubs, and have even worked with an anesthesiologist who has tattoo sleeves.

That being said, since you haven't gotten it yet, I'd also recommend getting it someplace not visible with scrubs on. Another just-in-case thing. Don't want to close doors for yourself over something as trivial as a tattoo.

Don't want to close doors for yourself over something as trivial as a tattoo.

Bingo. Most of the people in this thread talking about their desire for tattoos are premeds. If you want it to be visible, get your tattoo AFTER you have made it (to at least residency) or realize you don't want it any more. There is no reason to go and potentially screw up your chances at many professional jobs to get a tattoo. Neck/wrist/hands/face are pretty much off limits for professionals.

I have a small tattoo of ganesa on my wrist, never caused any issues because I wore a long-sleeved lab coat at work when I used to be a technician in a hospital pharmacy (it would also be covered by a bracelet/watch)... I worked with a few pharmacists who have sleeves or big tattoos, but I would never get a highly visible one myself, I think it is pretty looked-down-upon as a doctor or someone working directly with patients. If you just had to get it someplace visible, I'd wait until after residency, no point in risking it.

Make a tattoo identical to a MELANOMA. Put it in an obvious place, and then hope you are interviewed by a dermatologist!

Get some tear drops down your face then they know not to fu** with you.

Kidding

If you'll be covered get whatever you want. But if you want it on your forearm, don't get something that they'll be like wtf? Like a dragon or normal design or something would be good(even though that'd really take the originality out of it, no?). Don't get like B-TOWN in gang writing down your arm. I'd avoid your hands, wrists, and neck. I have one on my back and am planning on getting at least 2 more.

Im a guy who thinks tattoos are fine, and even I think it would be pretty ******ed to get a tattoo on your neck, and would demonstrates very poor judgment. Just something to keep in mind considering how youre going to have to interact, interview and work with many older people who view tattoos less favorably than I do.

I would actually think its more forgivable if you got a tattoo on your neck after getting hammered one night. The fact that youre deliberating with this rather curious. Why exactly have you wanted to get a tattoo in a visible area for the past 3-4 years? Whats wrong with a less visible tattoo? Buddies wouldnt think its hardcore enough?

Jeez...now I REALLY don't know what to get. "Thug Life" on my forehead, tear drops, melanoma, "The MCAT is my B***CH" (asterisks and all)...there are just too many choices. :confused:

In all seriousness though, I'm going to have to rethink this and weigh the pros and cons. Thanks for all the input...and tattoo ideas! Jk.

Alright, I've been thinking about getting a tattoo for a couple years but I am going to wait until the "removable" ink comes out. The ink is coming out this fall in black and gray tones....

It probably sounds wimpy but there is no way anyone can predict if they will still want that tattoo 60 years from now... or ten minutes....

Im a guy who thinks tattoos are fine, and even I think it would be pretty ******ed to get a tattoo on your neck, and would demonstrates very poor judgment. Just something to keep in mind considering how youre going to have to interact, interview and work with many older people who view tattoos less favorably than I do.

I would actually think its more forgivable if you got a tattoo on your neck after getting hammered one night. The fact that youre deliberating with this rather curious. Why exactly have you wanted to get a tattoo in a visible area for the past 3-4 years? Whats wrong with a less visible tattoo? Buddies wouldnt think its hardcore enough?

No, there just aren't really any other areas that I'd want the tattoo...It doesn't have anything to do with 'proving' myself to others. It's just a personal preference of mine. I figure if it's permanent, I might as well get it in a place that I'd actually want it...which happens to be in a visible area, unfortunately. :(

Jeez...now I REALLY don't know what to get. "Thug Life" on my forehead, tear drops, melanoma, "The MCAT is my B***CH" (asterisks and all)...there are just too many choices. :confused:

In all seriousness though, I'm going to have to rethink this and weigh the pros and cons. Thanks for all the input...and tattoo ideas! Jk.

The wrist or the back of the neck wouldn't be a great idea in my opinion. Men with neck tattoos come off as thugs and women don't come off as professional. The wrist won't be as bad but you'll never be able to cover it up unless you wear really long sleeves or a glove or something like that. Just my opinion but it's really up to you. If it's something you really truly want then don't let people talk you out of it. Just think about the pros and cons like you said. Good luck

It's just a personal preference of mine(

If you wanted this for 4 years now why haven’t you just gotten it done already? Have you been wrestling with this question for the better part of your teenage and adult life?

I have a large butterfly tattoo, but it's not visible unless I'm wearing a tank top so like others have said, if you really want one, definitely get one that is not visible when you are in a professional environment.

:eek::eek::thumbup:

If you wanted this for 4 years now why haven’t you just gotten it done already? Have you been wrestling with this question for the better part of your teenage and adult life?

I didn't want to make a decision until I thought it through completely, and I felt like I wasn't able to do that as a teenager....

If you're even questioning it, then perhaps that's your answer right there.

If you're even questioning it, then perhaps that's your answer right there.

Haha, well I don't know about OP, but for me it's always been a question of "when" and not "if" I"m going to get a tattoo.

As for "why somewhere visible question", I'm also leaning towards the forearm/wrist area because: I want to be able to see it easily myself, so that eliminates the back. I'm a girl, who does plan to have kids one day, so getting tattooed on the chest/stomach/hips is a pretty bad idea given the inevitable stretching during pregnancy. Upper arm was a possibility, but I feel like it's too "biker" on a girl unless it's a delicate band-type design. And I'm paranoid about getting tattooed on the legs because of the possibility of spider veins ruining the effect down the line (and I have a mild dry skin issue there as well).

So yeah, the forearm/wrist is basically the only place I want to get a tattoo. I'm waiting at least a year for the new ink to settle and get reviewed, and possibly until after I graduate med school. It's more a self-expression thing than it is an act of "defiance", I'd still want one even if tattoos were like getting earrings. I made the design a few years back, and I stare at it everyday since it's part of my laptop wallpaper, and it makes me happy just to see it there :)

I got a tatoo on my a** and I think it's what actually got me into medical school ;)

I don't think any place has hard and fast rules about tattoos (I might be wrong) but just b/c a place allows it, just like law2doc said, most senior faculty members and patients look down upon visible tattoos.

I understand that it may be important to have faculty members think of you highly, but honesty, if I am judged for my appearance, and not the quality of my work, I am not too worried about it, but that is just me. Also, if you google tattooed professionals, you can find an online community of tattooed doctors

You could get a white ink tattoo....you can hardly see them unless you know they are there so it shoudn't interfere with a job.

228654923_a6dfaf9741.jpg

also they have UV tattoos that are almost invisible to the naked eye but glow under a black light....

2007-6-16-tattoos

oh damn that is so sickk