Insane humanities requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayingSteady

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which schools have the most humanities/social sciences course requirements for admission, and what these requirements are?

I have some extra space in my schedule, so wanted to keep all my bases covered in this regard before I go on to take straight-up "interest" classes :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

USC homie.... that beastly 30 semester unit humanities requirement is quite.. beastly

Johns Hopkins has a pretty extensive humanities requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Pritzker's got some pretty insane reqs IIRC.

Rochester requires a bunch of extra humanities as well, a year's worth I think, but there aren't specific required courses.

Anecdotally, USC seems to be the worst, but even then I think I read somewhere that just about any non-science class counts towards the amount (obviously need to check on that if it matters to you)....

Anecdotally, USC seems to be the worst, but even then I think I read somewhere that just about any non-science class counts towards the amount (obviously need to check on that if it matters to you)....

This is true. They said my engineering courses counted.

I think Pritzker's got some pretty insane reqs IIRC.

Rochester requires a bunch of extra humanities as well, a year's worth I think, but there aren't specific required courses.

Are you sure about Pritzker? Of course, I do not know what IIRC stands for, but per their website, Pritzker requires the 4 pre-reqs and strongly recommends 90 semester hours at least.

Are you sure about Pritzker? Of course, I do not know what IIRC stands for, but per their website, Pritzker requires the 4 pre-reqs and strongly recommends 90 semester hours at least.

If I remember correctly = IIRC. Yes, I believe Pritzker recommends humanities classes. Not sure what happens if you don't follow the recommendation, though :p.

If I remember correctly = IIRC. Yes, I believe Pritzker recommends humanities classes. Not sure what happens if you don't follow the recommendation, though :p.

Thank you for expanding the acronym.

The only recommended (not required) course apart from their 32 hours of pre-reqs is Biochemistry. They do mention that it is not necessary to major in the Sciences for matriculation at Pritzker and that undergrad might be the last chance you will get to explore other majors, but I have not come across any specific humanities recommendations any where. Do you think you could please post a link to that information? Thank you.

Well, on the bright side, "humanities" covers a very wide range of courses.....I think that at almost every school I have obtained enough humanities credits w/o purposefully taking extra humanities courses. IMO, if you're already a science major, then dont take too many extra elective/fun science courses....just take humanity courses instead

Did you guys not take any GE courses? Just fulfilling the minimum requirements at my school (not exactly a liberal arts school...) covers all the humanities requirements at every med school I've coming across...

So taking their emphasis on humanities into consideration, do they look for people with interests outside of medicine? I've been doing art and graphic design for a while, so I'm wondering if they would look favorably on that.

This is true. They said my engineering courses counted.

Awesome, so it looks like I'd have hella "humanities" then! But yeah, most of my non-science courses consist of lit/writing, psych, a couple phil classes, and a couple urban studies classes, and maybe a history class or two. So together, I'm sure they'd fulfill the 30 semester requirement at USC, but just wasn't sure if ALL of those would count towards that requirement

id recommend psychology courses to fulfill this req (psych counts right???). these have been some of the most interesting classes ive taken thus far.