3.8 in Post-Bac, 36 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeadStorm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm finishing up my postbac at UPenn with a 3.8 GPA and a 36 on my MCAT... but I had a 3.1 in my undergrad in Mechanical Engineering. What are your thoughts?

I have a good amount of research and work experience, both a which (because I was an engineer) are a little more attractive than usual, just because they are different (at least that's what I've been told).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working at a clinical research position full time at this moment, and had a part-time before this (for about half a year).

EDIT: Also took a clinical research class last semester that put me in the ER.

Ah, yes. That is true that I havn't had very much volunteer experience in about... 4 or 5 years? They still have candy stripers right? Although I don't think pink stripes become me...

But seriously, it's nice to hear that I can apply "broadly." I would think that my 3.1 undergrad would hold me back to DO schools, even if it was engineering.

Also, I'm from Maine so I have no state school, but Tufts recently did start up the Maine track...

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteerism would be considered an essential element of a med school application. You can volunteer for any humanistic endeavor, but you can kill two birds with one stone by volunteering in a clinical setting. Considering you already have hospital experience (with the research), consider another venue like a nursing home, free clinic, family planning cliinic, residential home, or hospice.

I agree with gujuDoc that three semesters of great GPA may be enough to redeem you, considering the high MCAT. I''d apply to DO schools, too, though, just in case MD schools you apply to don't agree with us, as you do not have a forgiving state MD school.

Yeah, my freshman and sophomore year killed my GPA for my undergrad, my junior year was much better, while my senior year was 2 A-'s away from a 4.0, so my upward trend did indeed start in my undergrad.

Thanks for the advice about volunteering, I'll start looking into that immediately.

Looks like I'm mostly like everyone else, huh? Apply EVERYWHERE?

I agree and disagree with the posts above. I think your weak point is your extracurriculars. Sure the engineering major and job will help you, but you have 0 volunteer experience as well as clinical experience in a hospital, ER, clinic... so on. A clinical research position should help you in the research department, but it does not really immerse you in a hospital enviroment. Also look to do something with disadvantaged or underserved populations, I know many schools look upon that highly. The part I disagree with is the DO part. Unless you want to do DO, I really do not see the need for you to apply there. Sure you 3.1 is very low, but a 3.8 post bac coupled with a 36 (very high) MCAT should def attract some attention. Not to mention you are an engineering major, which means that you would generally have a lower gpa than most biology majors... I personally do not believe you HAVE to apply to DO, but you can if you want too. I think you should apply broadly....all schools (lower, middle, and upper tier). And if you interview well and write well, you should snag an acceptance or two. Also apply to schools that are favor high MCAT scores.....Case western, georgetown, i can't think of more...look at the MSAR. Good luck, and I nkow people with stats a bit lower than yours with 6-7 interviews already....so u should do fine if you work on the EC's (thats the most glaring hole I see)

A clinical research position should help you in the research department, but it does not really immerse you in a hospital enviroment.

Headstorm, for the clinical research position to be looked at as clinical experience, you need to have had face-to-face interactions with sick people. I assumed this was the case as some took place in the ER, but if you were extracting data from charts or electronic health records, and not speaking to patients personally, then alibai1ah is correct, that you have none of the expected clinical experience. You should not apply until this serious lacking is rectified, if that is the case.

I agree with alot of the previous posts that your lack of volunteering is a the biggest weakness in your application. Your lack of face time with patients is also a huge weakness.

While your GPA is a hindrance I don't think it will hinder you as much as you think given your upward trend, high MCAT and difficult major (see my MDapps - My GPA is mediocre and I did fine, but I have compensating ECs). Plus, your postbacc GPA should lift your ugrad GPA a little.

But I think you should pronto get some volunteering and patient contact experience.

I think you have a good chance of getting in if you apply broadly (but include DO schools also). But you want to try to bolster your app as much as possible before you apply.