NYU or USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patricia7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been accepted to NYU and USC, and I know that this decision will ultimately come down to me, but I just wanted to get some other points of views and insights. I am from California and I like to stay in California and practice here, but in the other hand I feel NYU is a better dental school. I had a great time at my NYU interview and I liked the school!

I appreciate to share your thoughts, and please respect each other's opinion!

Members don't see this ad.

tough decision,

tuition at both schools are approx the same

it seems that NYU students are very happy with their school, check out the NYU vs. (insert school name here) threads just below this thread, you'll get some good feedback

USC! Living in NY sucks. All the cali students at my school hate living in NY.

Members don't see this ad :)
The boards here seem to be filled with far less complaining from NYU students than USC students. It seems like USC posters here are highly polarized into a ~50/50 split over whether their school is good or horrible :p Personally, I'm choosing Tufts over USC (so far).

USC! Living in NY sucks. All the cali students at my school hate living in NY.

It's interesting because I spoke to couple of California residents in my interview and they said they liked the city, and the only issue was the cost of housing! However, since USC has raised its tuition I think in terms of cost of living, they are almost the same! Maybe NYU is even cheaper now!

NYU is a much better school, in my opinion. Just come back to Cali when you're done :)

I say NYU!

If you ask USC students, they are polarized about the program. You can find many negative threads posted especially last cycle. It seems things get better now, but still creates uncertainty especially with high tuition rates for USC. When I was at USC I met one of my friends from undergrad and he told me that class 2008 have gone to extraordinary measures to graduate on time i.e. paying for their pt's procedures, placing ads in the LA TIMES, doing dental work on their family members. You can see threads like this posted by USC students on the forum, but I am sure there are other students who defend the program or give you more optimistic picture too:

I am not lazy, in fact I am probably one of the hardest working students here at school. However there is very little I can do when I can't schedule chairs for my patients when 300 other students are trying to get chairs also.

The tried implementing a new program for this situation and all it did was back us up more; guess what...where back to the "old way" of scheduling patients. Want to know what that technique is: you have to come here at 7:30am in the morning and try beating your classmates for chairs by scheduling electronically. Basically you can book as many chairs as you want (rarely there are any chairs available by the way) even though you don't have patients and steal it from anybody that does need it. Any day you schedule is for 3 weeks from that day...so if you can't find anything...well...you're screwed. If you have a buddy they schedule for his other buddy so they secure chairs...it is a freaking chaotic nightmare

Competencies are incredibly hard and besides chair availability is one sole reason people don't graduate on time. Nobody helps you around here and if you happen to be incompetent in some area, faculty won't seat down with you and help you all they do is send you to remedial with the class previous to yours and have you do what they're doing.

Predents, if you are really thinking about USC, really, really, think again; this school refuses to change the administration and instead blame all of us the students for the poor graduation statistics. Don't make the mistake of your life; most of us SC students that post here feel there is a necessity to let YOU guys know about the nightmares and frustrations that will await for you if you happen to choose sc dental.

Please STAY AWAY FROM USC DENTAL

the tution has gone up at usc making nyu cheaper. According to their websites usc is now $101,000.00 per year compared to NYU's $91,000.00, multiply it by 4 and we are talking about a $40,000 difference, this is with living expenses included.

I talked to several students when I interviewed, they expressed concern with the lack of patients.

I would rather live in California but the 40K and the plentiful patient pool makes nyu a better choice for me, not to mention the facilities at nyu are top notch.

NYU...

NYC is the best there is and the students really seemed to enjoy their experience so far. I talked with some local NY dentists, and they think highly of NYU graduates because "they will see everything at NYU".

the tution has gone up at usc making nyu cheaper. According to their websites usc is now $101,000.00 per year compared to NYU's $91,000.00, multiply it by 4 and we are talking about a $40,000 difference, this is with living expenses included.

I talked to several students when I interviewed, they expressed concern with the lack of patients.

I would rather live in California but the 40K and the plentiful patient pool makes nyu a better choice for me, not to mention the facilities at nyu are top notch.

USC only has two trimesters the last year.

NYU does have an amazing patient pool. Also, consider that USC is PBL and NYU is lecture based. What learning style will benefit you? There are a few posts similar and being close to home is an asset to some, etc...

What else is important to you?

USC only has two trimesters the last year.

NYU does have an amazing patient pool. Also, consider that USC is PBL and NYU is lecture based. What learning style will benefit you? There are a few posts similar and being close to home is an asset to some, etc...

What else is important to you?

Thanks for your feedback DrReo! I am ok with both large class size and PBL, however, like many other students I prefer to have lectures! I like to stay close to home, but I think clinical training and having enough patients matter to me! I really don't want to go to the clinic and fight over chairs with other classmates. Some of the comments posted by USC students concern me especially not having enough patients and not being able to book for chairs! I am interested to know whether this issue has been resolved or not...

Does anyone know what is the expected graduation rate for USC this year? It seems last year was 80% still not good enough but better than 07 which was very low! I am interested to know about this year graduation rate at USC and the changes that they plan to apply with regard to booking chairs and competency exams at USC.

I get the impression (read: I don't know this to be true) that USC is in a redefining stage much like NYU was a few years back. In another 5-10 years or so USC might have set itself up to be the premiere private dental school, but I'll argue that NYU is much closer/already there. I'm happy here and really impressed with how much the school is doing to improve itself even further.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get the impression (read: I don't know this to be true) that USC is in a redefining stage much like NYU was a few years back. In another 5-10 years or so USC might have set itself up to be the premiere private dental school, but I'll argue that NYU is much closer/already there. I'm happy here and really impressed with how much the school is doing to improve itself even further.

I think the downfall for USC is their tuition! The fact they raised their tuition would definitely have negative impact on student's decision. They offer PBL curriculum but asking for the highest rate of tuition among dental schools which is not balanced. Paying $75,000 in your first year for tuition NOT including housing cost and expenses is really scary. I am sure they could attract more number of students in their first round if they could lower their tuition.

Looking at costs, USC and NYU would be about the same. USC's 100k first year budget is including 31,000 for housing. Come on now, most people don't even pay 31,000 on a house mortgage. You can get by easily with 12-15k. If you take that into consideration, NYU's cost of living makes up for USC's higher tuition rate. Correct?
Living in new york would be extremely cool but moving there, going home on the holidays, really isn't worth it imo. I'd personally go to USC because I'm ultimately paying for experience and a DDS degree

Looking at costs, USC and NYU would be about the same. USC's 100k first year budget is including 31,000 for housing. Come on now, most people don't even pay 31,000 on a house mortgage. You can get by easily with 12-15k. If you take that into consideration, NYU's cost of living makes up for USC's higher tuition rate. Correct?
Living in new york would be extremely cool but moving there, going home on the holidays, really isn't worth it imo. I'd personally go to USC because I'm ultimately paying for experience and a DDS degree

Yea, USC and NYU are relatively similar in overall cost. And I agree that USC is overestimating their room and board. If the OP has no problem with PBL and her end intentions are to stay and practice in CA then i would say to go with USC.

Thanks for your feedback DrReo! I am ok with both large class size and PBL, however, like many other students I prefer to have lectures! I like to stay close to home, but I think clinical training and having enough patients matter to me! I really don't want to go to the clinic and fight over chairs with other classmates. Some of the comments posted by USC students concern me especially not having enough patients and not being able to book for chairs! I am interested to know whether this issue has been resolved or not...

It seems OP has worries about clinic and based on my visit NYU has a superior clinic. USC had big issues at clinic in the past and it seems it is finally getting resolved. I guess it depends to see whether new changes are working at USC and if everyone can graduate on-time at USC!

USC has raised its tuition by 5% for 2009. If you see USC financial packet (power points copies) given to you at interview date USC tuition is raised to $293,000 without cost of living, however, NYU tuition is $244,000 which is $50,000 cheaper than USC. Cost of living at NYU is higher but almost every student whome I spoke to says he/she shares the room and their monthly fee comes up to about $1,500/month. NYU has also overestimated the cost of living and they say something like 31,000 each year but it is manageable to live with 18-20k! Anyway, NYU is still $40,000 cheaper than USC and that's why I chose NYU over USC. Considering the amount of interest you pay $40,000 is still a big number!

You took into account personal expenses and transportation. NYU's room and board number is 24,672. Yeah, they're a little over the average you may pay for housing but they're not 2x over like USC's estimate. And though i agree you can find a place to live for 18-20K a year, you can also find a place near USC for half that. That is why there is little difference price-wise between the two and i wouldn't necessarily say that NYU is 40K cheaper.

USC has raised its tuition by 5% for 2009. If you see USC financial packet (power points copies) given to you at interview date USC tuition is raised to $293,000 without cost of living, however, NYU tuition is $244,000 which is $50,000 cheaper than USC. Cost of living at NYU is higher but almost every student whome I spoke to says he/she shares the room and their monthly fee comes up to about $1,500/month. NYU has also overestimated the cost of living and they say something like 31,000 each year but it is manageable to live with 18-20k! Anyway, NYU is still $40,000 cheaper than USC and that's why I chose NYU over USC. Considering the amount of interest you pay $40,000 is still a big number!

Nik777 raised interesting point! I looked at my papers and it seems there are two different numbers for tuition! There is a page that gives us all the numbers and I assumed that was the estimated tuition for class 2013! And financial aid power points that assume 5% increase and higher rate of tuition. I guess I should trust financial aid office numbers!

You took into account personal expenses and transportation. NYU's room and board number is 24,672. Yeah, they're a little over the average you may pay for housing but they're not 2x over like USC's estimate. And though i agree you can find a place to live for 18-20K a year, you can also find a place near USC for half that. That is why there is little difference price-wise between the two and i wouldn't necessarily say that NYU is 40K cheaper.

Housing in LA is cheaper than NYC, but transportation cost at NYC will be way cheaper because of use of public transportation! Here in LA you need to have your own car to move around the city!

Last edited:
I think the difference is not really cost! NYU at this point is a better choice because of USC low graduation rate! It is risky to pay 300K for tuition and not knowing whether you graduate on-time! Last year USC graduation rate was 80% which means 20% of people or about 30 people could not finish on-time, and that means spending more money for those who did not graduate on-time! NYU is a safer choice than USC considering all the negativity around USC.

Graduating late from USC does not necessarily mean more money spent. Requirements for graduation on time mean mid May. Tuition is paid for two trimesters and there is time to finish the requirements prior to the start of the third trimester (hence more tuition). So let's say you graduate by mid June. This is late, but you don't spend anymore money. Rules of the University mean you also don't get you diploma until midAugust. So even if you graduate "late" this is not considered a failure here because "late" is really only a month. There are quite a few misconceptions out there as to what is considered late and what is a financial burden.

I have some questions here. What is NYU "graduation rate"? And what is NYU's "attrition rate"? And what is NYU's graduation on time rate?

Attrition rate would be how many of the 248 students who start stay around and actually graduate ?

And of these student who do stay 4 years, how many graduate on time and in 4 yrs?

Rumor has it that NYU weeds out a lot of the class (hence a high attrition rate). Is this still true? Or is this a thing of the past? I would seem to me a high attrition rate would be worse than a low graduation on time rate (because sooner or later you will graduate, but if you are kicked out of school you ain't graduating no how no way.)

Graduating late from USC does not necessarily mean more money spent. Requirements for graduation on time mean mid May. Tuition is paid for two trimesters and there is time to finish the requirements prior to the start of the third trimester (hence more tuition). So let's say you graduate by mid June. This is late, but you don't spend anymore money. Rules of the University mean you also don't get you diploma until midAugust. So even if you graduate "late" this is not considered a failure here because "late" is really only a month. There are quite a few misconceptions out there as to what is considered late and what is a financial burden.

I have some questions here. What is NYU "graduation rate"? And what is NYU's "attrition rate"? And what is NYU's graduation on time rate?

Attrition rate would be how many of the 248 students who start stay around and actually graduate ?

And of these student who do stay 4 years, how many graduate on time and in 4 yrs?

Rumor has it that NYU weeds out a lot of the class (hence a high attrition rate). Is this still true? Or is this a thing of the past? I would seem to me a high attrition rate would be worse than a low graduation on time rate (because sooner or later you will graduate, but if you are kicked out of school you ain't graduating no how no way.)

NYU does not weed students out! Unlike USC interview which was held by group of unprofessional staff, Dean and Director of Admissions attended our interview at NYU and they pointed out that all these rumors are not true! Here are some of the comments made by students who visited USC for an interview! It's funny that school with highest tuition does not even want to bother to improve their interview process to answer student's concerns about USC!

http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=235

Last year from what I hear...like 2 people had to drop out of the program and I think it is extremely difficult to fail out of NYUCD unless you really try hard to fail (some people get into dental school and realize that this is not the right profession for them)......there is always remediation classes and everyone is there to help you pass and do well in school...I haven't heard about anyone not graduating on time last year......and again NYUCD is very pro-students and everyone here seems to enjoy this awesome school~
And NYUCD does not weed out its students.....it doesn't make sense for any dental school to weed out its students and lose tuition income.......
it is an awesome school and I hope you take the time to get to know the school....

1. NYC vs LA

2. PBL vs Traditional

Anyway, it seems NYU has more reputation. I have never seen USC has once ranked in top 10, although USC has a good reputation.

However, I love LA!! :laugh: :mad: :(

Glad to hear that the rumors about NYU are false (by the way does any one have real numbers for attrition rate for NYU, USC and other schools?)

JennDDS...did you get USC's graduation rate from your interview at USC? Where did you get that number? And the people at USC didn't answer your questions?

Glad to hear that the rumors about NYU are false (by the way does any one have real numbers for attrition rate for NYU, USC and other schools?)

JennDDS...did you get USC's graduation rate from your interview at USC? Where did you get that number? And the people at USC didn't answer your questions?

I asked about PBL from Brian Steele, director of Admissions, and he said they receive complains about PBL from some of the students, but they try to improve it! For clinic situation, he tried to dodge the question and he referred us to D3 and D4 students who attended during launch! One of the third year students said 18% graduated in 2007 but clinic conditions has been improved and last year 80% graduated on-time! And during our tour we met couple of students who said USC sucks and they were not happy there! It is hard to find out what exactly is going on when you don't meet anybody during interview. The interview process was not organized and it is too much of risk to go to USC with their high rate tuition!

Quite obviously at the moment USC is a work in progress. You don't fire (er...put on sabbatical) your Dean if he was doing a good job. PBL is still a valid method of education (it was pioneered by HARVARD, and is still the educational model at Hahvard). PBL is also used at Case, Indiana, and in a small way at Michigan. And as I have pointed out before...graduating late doesn't mean a whole year late. Just like finishing college by graduating in the Winter quarter still means statistically it took you 5 yrs to complete undergrad. And quite logically it doesn't make any sense for a school to have a large number of late graduates. It boggs down the clinic and it hampers residencies that start in July. So quite logically the school cannot tolerate a pattern of late graduation. Just as it wouldn't make any sense for NYU to get rid of tuition paying students, it doesn't make sense to overburden your clinic with "super-seniors". (Oh, I guess the NYU Dean had to make a special effort to dispel a common misconception about the attrition there).

So is USC a crap shoot? Most definitely. Is it as bad as some of these posters make out? Of course not. Also be warned...tuitions are bound to increase at all schools. In this economic environment less money will also be flowing into their clinics and tuition can increase or staff and faculty be cut. None of these schools (USC, NYU, UPenn, Columbia,UOP) have actually guaranteed that the tuition they quote will remain thoughout your 3-4 yrs. And if NYU retains all 248 members of their class...do they have sufficient clinical facilities to handle that many students? That has got to be one mother sized clinic and logistically be a challenge to manage. USC would have half that many students. The bottom line is go where you would be comfortable. Go where you would like to spend 4 yrs of your life. Those 4 years will be very challenging and can be filled with frustration, dispair, exhiliration, epiphany. Good Luck to you.

Quite obviously at the moment USC is a work in progress. You don't fire (er...put on sabbatical) your Dean if he was doing a good job. PBL is still a valid method of education (it was pioneered by HARVARD, and is still the educational model at Hahvard). PBL is also used at Case, Indiana, and in a small way at Michigan. And as I have pointed out before...graduating late doesn't mean a whole year late. Just like finishing college by graduating in the Winter quarter still means statistically it took you 5 yrs to complete undergrad. And quite logically it doesn't make any sense for a school to have a large number of late graduates. It boggs down the clinic and it hampers residencies that start in July. So quite logically the school cannot tolerate a pattern of late graduation. Just as it wouldn't make any sense for NYU to get rid of tuition paying students, it doesn't make sense to overburden your clinic with "super-seniors". (Oh, I guess the NYU Dean had to make a special effort to dispel a common misconception about the attrition there).

So is USC a crap shoot? Most definitely. Is it as bad as some of these posters make out? Of course not. Also be warned...tuitions are bound to increase at all schools. In this economic environment less money will also be flowing into their clinics and tuition can increase or staff and faculty be cut. None of these schools (USC, NYU, UPenn, Columbia,UOP) have actually guaranteed that the tuition they quote will remain thoughout your 3-4 yrs. And if NYU retains all 248 members of their class...do they have sufficient clinical facilities to handle that many students? That has got to be one mother sized clinic and logistically be a challenge to manage. USC would have half that many students. The bottom line is go where you would be comfortable. Go where you would like to spend 4 yrs of your life. Those 4 years will be very challenging and can be filled with frustration, dispair, exhiliration, epiphany. Good Luck to you.

I'm a 3rd yr student at nyu and i've really liked my experience here so far. I think the school has a lot to offer. You get really good clinical experience here. I don't believe the school intentionally weeds out people. If you fail classes and remediation then they let you go. I would blame nyu for not doing a good job all the time, in terms of admitting the right people i.e. knowing if they can handle the program. It's unfortunate for anyone to pay such high fees for tuition and then have to leave.... the stats of incoming students are supposedly getting higher by the year so i expect the attrition rate to go down , even though i believe it's not as high as some ppl claim it to be

NYUCD has 2 buildings that are 11 stories high...we have enough clinics with the state of art facilities to accomodate not only the pre-doctorate students but also the international dentists from all over.......everyone gets to have a chair....just to answer your question...and the clinics are run very well by competent clinic managers and their staff....each clinic on different floors are run like independent clinics and I think that's how we have very successful clinics....also don't let the number of student body size discourage you...your colleagues will become great resources and friends....it's a great support system we have here.....
I hope this shed some light on your curiosity....

Hi everyone, Thank you so much for your feedback! I still can't make my mind so I decided to give my deposit to both schools. I plan to go and visit both schools one more time. I think each has its own pros and cons! Living in LA is more convenient for me since I am a California resident and I already know different places in LA and I can control cost of living more effectively than NYC. In the other hand, NYU has better clinics and everyone seems happy and they graduate on-time! I guess this is a tough one and I need to hear more from friends and family to see which one is preferred.

Hope we hear more comments especially once another round of acceptance is sent out maybe next week...Who knows maybe more and more students will have the same dilemma and we hear more discussions with regard to differences between these two school.

The boards here seem to be filled with far less complaining from NYU students than USC students. It seems like USC posters here are highly polarized into a ~50/50 split over whether their school is good or horrible :p Personally, I'm choosing Tufts over USC (so far).

I'll tell you why its 50/50 because 50 percent of people havn't taken their boards yet and havn't started clinic, I used to be the other 50 percent. I though PBL was the bom, and the school was great. Then when boards came around I realized PBL doesn't prepare you for anything. and clinic is freaking horrible. if you see my old posts I used to love USC

I say NYU!

If you ask USC students, they are polarized about the program. You can find many negative threads posted especially last cycle. It seems things get better now, but still creates uncertainty especially with high tuition rates for USC. When I was at USC I met one of my friends from undergrad and he told me that class 2008 have gone to extraordinary measures to graduate on time i.e. paying for their pt's procedures, placing ads in the LA TIMES, doing dental work on their family members. You can see threads like this posted by USC students on the forum, but I am sure there are other students who defend the program or give you more optimistic picture too:

I don't know how long ago this was written, but its exactly the same now

Does anyone know how patients are scheduled and how chairs are assigned at NYU? Also are patients automatically assigned as well? It seems USC's 2 week in advance computer set up is pretty bad. I"m curious how other schools do this.

Does anyone know how patients are scheduled and how chairs are assigned at NYU? Also are patients automatically assigned as well? It seems USC's 2 week in advance computer set up is pretty bad. I"m curious how other schools do this.

I remember there was another thread with regard to NYU clinic. It seems every floor is run separately and since staff supervising the appointments they have no problem like USC! They also have huge patient pool and based on what I hear from my friends, it seems students are happy with clinic conditions at NYU.

Hi everyone, Thank you so much for your feedback! I still can't make my mind so I decided to give my deposit to both schools. I plan to go and visit both schools one more time. I think each has its own pros and cons! Living in LA is more convenient for me since I am a California resident and I already know different places in LA and I can control cost of living more effectively than NYC. In the other hand, NYU has better clinics and everyone seems happy and they graduate on-time! I guess this is a tough one and I need to hear more from friends and family to see which one is preferred.

Hope we hear more comments especially once another round of acceptance is sent out maybe next week...Who knows maybe more and more students will have the same dilemma and we hear more discussions with regard to differences between these two school.

NYU now has very close to 100% retention rate and 98.3% National Board Part I passing rate compared to 96.3% national average rate for National Board Part I. It's a wonderful dental school with amazing facilities and even more impressive faculties. The resources available at this school will blow your mind. If you can think of anything related to dentistry, you'll find it here. Patient pool here is unmatched by any dental school. I love it here and I hope you do too! If you want you can read NYUCD published magazine called Nexus and it'll give you a good idea of where this school is going. Check out this link: http://www.nyu.edu/dental/nexus/index.html

I hope this helps!!

have you decided?
i am leaning towards nyu but don't know if i am making the right choice

It's interesting because I spoke to couple of California residents in my interview and they said they liked the city, and the only issue was the cost of housing! However, since USC has raised its tuition I think in terms of cost of living, they are almost the same! Maybe NYU is even cheaper now!

I'm from cali and i love living in ny. it was hard getting around at first and getting use to public transportation but you realize that you should just take a cab everywhere. also you get to party like you are in vegas.

As a 1st year student at NYU, I really enjoy being here. By being in a new city and at a new school, it gave me many opportunities to meet new people. I cant really say anything about USC bc I dont go there but as far as NYU goes, its a great school in my opinion.

If you like PBL, then go to USC. If you enjoy the cut-throat environment NYU offers, go to NYU. They're both preetty expensive and both are not exactly located at the BEST location I would say. Good luck picking out a school that's right for you!!

I can't comment on NYU being cut throat but it's in one of the best(safest) locations in NYC. USC on the other hand is in a not so great part of town.

In terms of a competitive and cut throat atmosphere, I haven't found a hint of that here at USC. There are a couple key factors contributing to that. We work in groups together all day long so we are dependent on one another for our success. Tests are on a straight scale, meaning you don't have to worry about the classmate you helped raising the curve. We are not ranked, meaning no jockeying for position at the top of the class.

In the end... Work hard for a 90%, get your A, and you are no different than the guy/gal who scored a 99%.

I'm from cali and i love living in ny. it was hard getting around at first and getting use to public transportation but you realize that you should just take a cab everywhere. also you get to party like you are in vegas.

and burn money like you are in Vegas:D

NYU is nice. If tuition is the same, I don't see why not

I picked USC over NYU back in December because I'm not a lecture person. I also couldn't stand living in NYC (it's a great city, but living conditions are not nice). Moreover, I couldn't stand living in cold weather, and you can't beat socal weather..

BUT, after I put down my deposit for USC, and wrote a rejection letter to NYU, I started learning more about USC's problems.... I really regretted not picking NYU at that point (I actually really liked NYU during my interview, and didn't like USC as much).

Luckily I got into UF, so I won't pay for my mistake. But if I had to go back, I would now pick NYU despite the cold weather and inferior living conditions. At least there you graduate without much stress over whether or not you will have patients..

Maybe one of you can help me with this. I used to work with a doctor that went to NYU. He told me that they do admit a lot of students, I believe 250, but they also cut some students at the end of the first year, and some more at the end of the second year. Has anyone else heard anything like that?

Maybe one of you can help me with this. I used to work with a doctor that went to NYU. He told me that they do admit a lot of students, I believe 250, but they also cut some students at the end of the first year, and some more at the end of the second year. Has anyone else heard anything like that?

You can find a gazillion threads about that if you run a quick search. USC always gets bashed around these boards with rumors claiming no one graduates, while rumors about NYU claim everyone gets dropped from the program.

i cant imagine them doing that. imean maybe, but from a financial perspective they wouldnt be getting all the money they could be getting! and in this world everything is dependent on money