Preparing for USMLE in Australia: my experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pollux

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently a 4th year student at UQ. I took the step 1 in December, and got my score last Wednesday. I am extremely happy about my hard-earned score of 276/99, and would like to share my experience with other medical students studying for this exam in Australia.

Compared my classmates, I had to spend a significant amount of time on the side to study for this exam, as the Australian medical curriculum does not place a lot of emphasis on basic sciences education. The course covers very little biochemistry, pharmacology, and microbiology, so I spent extra effort studying for these subjects. I generally don't find lectures useful in med school, and the greatest piece of advice I've received regarding lectures is to attend them selectively. I spent a lot of time in second year studying at home as opposed to going to lectures, and I was able to get through resources fairly efficiently at my own pace. I also joined a USMLE study group at the beginning of second year, where a group of my friends would spend an afternoon every Saturday to go over materials that are frequently tested on the USMLE, especially the subjects mentioned above. Each person would be assigned a topic, prepare for it during the week, and give a brief talk on the topic on the following Saturday. I found the study group very helpful in getting me motivated to study for this exam.

I initially intended to sit the exam at the beginning of third year, so I spent a month studying after second year was over. At the end of the month, I didn't feel quite ready and decided to postpone my exam till the end of third year, thinking that I would have plenty of time to study during the clinical rotations. Wrong. I only had some time during my rural rotation and psychiatry rotation to study for USMLE, but could only manage to do 1-2hr/day on weekdays and up to 8hr/day on weekends. At the end of third year, I spent a month studying hardcore again, and finally took the exam on the 26th of December.

I've posted my experience in exam preparation below; feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding my preparation. However, I'd be grateful if you could read the Q&A section first before you PM me, just in case I have already answered it. :)

=====================

Initial goal: 250+
Total prep time: 1000 hours.

IMG at an Australian medical school (UQ); MCAT=38
NBME 1: 258 (9 months out)
NBME 2: 261 (2 months out)
NBME 6: 262 (25 days out)
UW 1: 265+ (15 days out)
NBME 3: 265+ (8 days out)
NBME 4: 265+ (6 days out)
UW 2: 265+ (4 days out)
NBME 5: 265+ (2 days out)
USMLE CD: 96% (1 day out)

I did over 10000 USMLE-style practice exam questions in the following order:
USMLERx: 94%
Kaplan Qbank: 91%
First Aid Q&A step 1: 93%
UW: 88% (Random, unused, first time through)
Plus NBME + UW exams + USMLE CD + RR Goljan...

Prep material:
FA of course!! I read it cover-to-cover 3 times. However, I tend to cross-reference it when I read other books and I frequently consulted it during second year during PBL. I also annotated notes in FA when I did UW, so I was very familar with the content of this book. For every diagram/table/metabolic pathway in FA, I made sure that they were familiar to the point that I was able to to reproduce them from memory.
Anatomy: Kaplan notes & Kaplan webprep, USMLE Road Map Anatomy, HY Neuroanatomy.
Behavioural science: Kaplan notes & Kaplan webprep.
Biochemistry: Kaplan notes & Kaplan webprep.
Cell biology: HY Cell and molecular biology.
Microbiology: Kaplan notes & Kaplan webprep, Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, MicroCards.
Immunology: Kaplan notes & FA.
Pharmacology: Kaplan notes & Kaplan webprep, HY Pharm, Pharmacology Flash Cards (Brenner).
Physiology: Kaplan notes, BRS Physiology.
Pathology: BRS Pathology, Goljan audio, Goljan notes.

Preparation timeline:

During second year - Read BRS Pathology and pretty much memorized the book. I love pathology so it wasn't really a daunting task for me. I also started listening to Goljan audios in first year and I was really glad that I started early. I finished Goljan audios at least three times, but I always felt that I learned something new each time.

December 2007 - Finished reading Kaplan notes (all subjects except Path) and Goljan notes for Path. 8-10hr/day. (300hr)

Jan - Nov 2008 - On and off. I did NBME1 in March and got 258(720) and was pretty happy that reading Kaplan notes paid off. However, I had only about 4 months during this time (rural and psych) where I could fit USMLE studying into my schedule, but could only manage to study about 25 hours a week. During this time, I read the supplementary material (HY, Road Map, flash cards), listened to Kaplan webprep while commuting, and did the majority of the practice questions. (400hr)

December 2008 - Did most of the NBMEs and UW assessment exams in this month. Completed UW question bank for the second time. Spent the last week just memorizing FA and doing practice questions. 8-10hr/day. (300hr)

Exam experience on 2008/12/26:

I started the exam at 8:30 and finished at 4:00 with 20 minutes of break time to spare. On average, I spent 45 minutes in each block and took a 20-minute break after each block (except the first block). During each break, I would drink 300mL of oolong tea or green tea to keep me awake, eat half a sandwich, go to the washroom, and wash my face so I felt refreshed and ready to tackle the next block. I thought the strategy worked quite well for me.

I thought the exam was quite a bit harder than NBME but easier than UW. It was probably comparable to UW self-assessment exams in terms of difficulty. I marked 6-7 questions each block. I thought 85% of the questions was straight-forward, 10% was tricky, and 5% was difficult.

Pathology: Not surprisingly the bulk of the exam. Around 70% of the questions were patholgy questions or required pathology integration. I thought UW covered these sorts of questions really well, so there weren't really any surprises for me. I only had around 5 questions that came with pictures of gross pathology specimens.

Anatomy/neuroanatomy: 15 questions. Most of them involved intepretation of X-rays/CT/MRIs, nothing too obscure. I even had brain CT and angiograms for structure identification. Make sure you know the brain stem and cranial nerves well.

Behavioral science: 20 questions. Half were biostatistics, and the other half were the typical "what would be the best action/response in this scenario" type of questions. I thought just reading FA or Kaplan notes was not really sufficient to answer these sorts of questions. I had almost no questions that came out of the psychiatry section in FA, except a few psychotropic medications and a question on defense mechanisms.

Biochemistry/Cell bio/Molecular bio: Geez, I noticed the trend of increasing proportions of cell biology questions in the NBME, but I never expected this many on my exam. I probably had 50 questions that fell into this category (Biochem/Cell bio). I was glad that I flipped through HY Cell and Molecular biology just a few days before the exam, because it probably helped me answer 5 questions correctly. The different kinds of receptors and intracellular signalling pathways are extremely high-yield. For metabolism, know the key regulatory enzymes and global control of metabolic processes (i.e. insulin vs glucagon's effects).

Pharmacology: Around 25 questions. Piece of cake compared to UW. I thought FA covers pharmacology in sufficient details. As usual, emphasis was placed on autonomic pharmacology and cardiovascular medications. I had quite a few questions on pharmacodynamics too.

Microbiology: 30 questions. Make sure you know the various bacterial exotoxins and their mechanisms of action. Quite a few questions involved TB and HIV. Even West Nile virus appeared on my exam.

Physiology: 30 questions. Most involved the up/down arrows and graph interpretation. Endocrine questions are high-yield too.

I walked out of the testing centre feeling quite confident I did pretty well. I was certain I broke 260, but wasn't too sure if I was able to get 270+. Got the score last Wednesday, 276/99! I didn't even know it was possible! Needless to say, I was ecstatic!! :laugh:

=====================

I've also compiled a Q&A from the emails and PMs I've received since last Wednesday. I'd like to thank those who emailed or PMed me and also their permission to post these questions up. I hope this answers more questions regarding my exam preparation.

Learning Resources:

Q: What edition of Kaplan notes did you use, and did you use the accompanying videos?
A: I used Kaplan notes 2004 edition. I was running out of time toward the end of my preparation so I didn't use the videos.

Q: Did the Kaplan webprep audios make a big difference where the lecture notes are concerned?
A: I wouldn't say the webprep audios were essential, but they certainly helped solidify many important concepts, especially for biochem and pharm. If time is a factor for your preparation, I would suggest doing the webprep audios only after you finish reading the lecture notes.

Q: First Aid – how much does it cover?
A: FA covered about 80% of the material on my exam, so I would definitely recommend using it as the primary resource the week before the exam. I went over the rapid review section at the end of FA the night before the exam date, and I found it quite helpful as a last-minute review.

Q: Do you think the lecture notes for biochem are okay to use without the videos?
A: I think the lecture notes for biochem are adequate to be used on its own; I didn't use Kaplan videos so couldn't comment on them. However, I would highly recommend listening to webprep for biochem. Dr. Raymon is just simply amazing; he does an excellent job integrating pathology, pharm, and biochem. However, it is still of utmost importance to memorize all the tables/diagrams/metabolic pathways in the biochem section of FA. I think it really ties the information together nicely toward the end of the preparation.

Q: For Pharmacology, do you think studying FA is enough?
A: I think FA is enough for Pharm, provided that you know the mechanisms of the drugs well. I found it quite difficult to memorize the list of clinical uses and side effects without having a solid understanding of the mechanisms, so I chose to do Kaplan notes before tackling FA, and it certainly made those things easier to memorize.

Q: Did you like the Pharmacology flash cards you used or were they too detailed?
A: I liked the flash cards, they are handy to carry around if you want to study them on the bus or during a boring lecture. It can also be conveniently used to quiz yourself, with the drug's generic name and trade name on one side, and the list of drug class, mechanism, clinical uses, side effects, route of metabolism on the other side. I don't think they are overly detailed.

Q: Despite reading Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple over again, I am still missing tons of micro questions. I dont feel like there is anyway to "master" these questions cause they often test trivia that while I know I read, I just cant recall on the spot. Although, I do think my main problem here is focusing too much on MRS and not on FA.
A: I agree with you that using FA to supplement MRS would be very helpful. It's a good idea to start with MRS in the beginning of your preparation, but toward the end, the tables in MRS and the charts in FA are the way to go. A heavy amount of rote memorization is required to master Microbiology, that's for sure. I would encourage you to focus on the classifications and lab algorithms first before you start memorizing the rest of the minutiae. (Remember: Big pictures first!) The gram positive and negative lab algorithms in FA are gold. Pay close attention to the bacterial exotoxins as well, because they frequently appear on the exam. Make sure you know these like the back of your hand. For virology, use the mnemoics in Kaplan notes to remember the DNA, +RNA, and -RNA viruses.

Q: You mentioned that kaplan and FA were not enough for behavioural and biostat questions. Any suggestion what shall I go for to cover that?
A: A lot of my friends liked HY behavioural and biostats a lot, but I have only read the first few chapters of HY BS so I can't really comment on them. I didn't like Kaplan and FA because they focused too much on the psychiatric disorders, and not so much on the "best response/action" scenario type of questions. The practice questions from UW and NBME are very good though, and I would recommend doing as many questions like those as you can, so you're familiar with the concepts. Sorry to confuse you, but for biostats, I think FA is quite sufficient, but make sure you are comfortable doing those calculations and drawing those 2x2 tables. Doing lots of biostats questions will definitely help solidify the concepts.

Q: How much do you get through a day and how do you retain that information? One of my problems is that I get through maybe 30 pages of Kaplan Biochem notes a day, and at the end of the day, while I retain the information, I find that I really didnt learn that much. Furthermore more, I tend to forget things as I go. When I do questions later on on the same subject, I forgot much of what I learned maybe 2 weeks ago.
A: Don't worry too much about having to retain everything in Kaplan notes, it's impossible and often unnecessary to try to remember some of the details. I think the primary purpose of reading Kaplan notes is to help you understand FA later on so you can memorize the facts in FA with better ease. What types of questions are you getting wrong, are they questions that require straight fact-recall or ones that require you to apply a concept? If it's the former, I wouldn't worry too much about Kaplan notes and would probably spend more time studying FA instead; for the latter, you do have to make sure you comprehend the info in Kaplan notes before moving on to FA.
Another thing I found helpful was to read the corresponding section in FA after finishing a subject in Kaplan notes. It helps solidify information right away.

Q: How many pages of FA and kaplan notes can you get through in a day?
A: I set goals to get through 100 to 120 pages of Kaplan notes every day, at the speed of 12-15 pages per hour. It depends on the subject too; anatomy and biochem were slower, whereas physiology and pharm were faster because I had done BRS physiology and Pharmacology flash cards already. I could read around 60 - 80 pages of FA in a day toward the end of the preparation, but when I first started, it was painfully slow. I could remember spending an entire day just studying the embryology section, which was only a few pages long but very memory-intensive. But once you start remembering the mnemonics and are familiar with the content, the speed goes up quite quickly.

Question banks:

Q: Did you do questions after each subject during your initial read, or did you skip questions altogether until after you completed your first read?
A: Thanks for raising this point as I probably didn't make it very clear in my post. I started doing questions after reading all of Kaplan notes, BRS path and phys, Goljan notes, and most HY books that I mentioned. The only book that I was still reading after I started doing questions was FA.

Q: When you say you did 10000 questions, do you include the book questions or any other questions?
A: I only counted the questions in USMLE format.
UW (2000) + Kaplan practice tests (2000) + Kaplan Q-bank (2000) + FA Q&A (1000) + USMLERx (did ~2000) + NBME 1-6 (1200) + UW self-assessment 1&2 (400) + Goljan RR Path questions (100) = 10700
I didn't count BRS questions or questions in Kaplan notes because they were not always in board format.

Q: Did you do robbins review of path? Was USMLERX useful?
A: I didn't do Robbins, and I wouldn't recommend it either. USMLERx was okay in terms of helping me memorize some details that I wouldn't have paid attention to in FA, because this Q-bank is basically based on the material in FA.

Q: Would you say that a particular question bank or all the 3 question banks that you did do cover all the usmle questions (=subject matter) that you were asked?
A: I would say UW was the most high-yield of them all. USMLERx and Kaplan Q-bank have been known to test minutiae that are not necessarily high-yield info. These 3 question banks combined definitely covered more than any one of them alone. As I mentioned in my post, only 5% of questions on my exam were things I had never encountered before, so doing tons of questions was certainly helpful for me.

Q: I am dedicating a solid 8 hours everyday to question banks (I time myself), but my scores are not improving. What can I do?
A: I would recommend going over the explanations in more detail, making sure you really understand what the question is asking. Don't skip the explanation for questions you answered correctly; you can learn a lot by reading about why the other choices are wrong. It can take a very long time when you first start doing it this way, but after a while, if you learn from your mistakes, you will not get the same type of question wrong again. When I first started doing questions, it often took me 40 minutes to do 50 questions, but an hour to read the explanations and annotate notes into FA. However, I learned a lot from the explanations in UW, probably just as much as the questions themselves. It's easy to feel frustrated when you first start, but with time, I'm sure your accuracy rate will improve. Good luck.

Q: I am quite frustrated with questions that test minutia details, e.g. "Which of the following can be found in bacterial endospores?" (Answer is dipicolinic acid) I had never seen anything like that and I had to flip through pubmed to get the answer. Are these questions worth remembering?
A: I'm not trying to discourage you here; although dipicolinic acid is probably a trivia type question, it was actually mentioned twice in FA, so I'd actually still remember it. Sometimes the strategy is to eliminate the other answer choices if you couldn't recognize the right answer. For example, if other choices are peptidoglycan and mycolic acid, you know they just can't be right.

Q: What did you annotate into first aid? Only qbank questions? I find some of the Micro Qbank questions extremely tedious and testing pHD like material. How can I tell if its important? Or is it all completely important?
A: I only annotate information that I consider "high-yield". As you do more questions, you'll soon know what types of questions tend to show up over and over again; these are the ones that are high-yield.
Take Micro for example, they often give you a clinical presentation of an infectious disease, then ask you for the most appropriate antibiotics. These require a two-step process (Presentation - Bug - Antibiotics), and are guaranteed to be on exam. If they want to be mean, they can ask you about the side effect of the most common antibiotics used. These questions require a three-step process (Presentation - Bug - Antibiotics - Side effects), and are less common than the type of questions above. Things that aid in the laboratory diagnosis or things that have to do with treatment (for example, HIV gene products and antiviral drugs that target these products) are also extremely high-yield. Ignore the weird trivia type of questions that have no clinical correlation.
I agree that Micro Qbank questions can sometimes be a bit annoying, but that doesn't mean the real exam is like that. I found that FA covers > 90% of the Micro questions on my exam, so make sure you know FA well and don't get too discouraged by the low-yield questions.

Q: About doing usmleworld 2X: did you find that helpful even though you already did the same questions once?
A: I did UW again one month apart. I don't think there's much benefit doing it again right after you finish it first time through, but a month gives you enough time to test if you really understand the materials tested, and not because you memorized the questions and answers. For me, the second time helped me increase my speed as I was more comfortable dealing with long question stems (but that could be an effect of having seen the questions before as well).

Q: When should I do UW again?
A: I would recommend doing UW again as close to the exam date as possible, while still giving yourself enough time to go over FA again and do the rest of the NBME forms. I went through UW the second time 3 weeks before my exam; I did 350 questions every day to simulate the exam length and build up my stamina. When I finished, I still had 2 weeks left to review the material that I mentioned above.

Q: When did you really start feeling comfortable with the material?
A: I probably started feeling comfortable with the material after I finished Kaplan notes and had done 2000+ questions. By that time, I knew my strengths and weaknesses and knew what to focus on in order to get the most out of the review process. For example, after doing some questions, I realized I had a lot of trouble with neuroanatomy, and so did HY neuroanatomy for 2 weeks, which seemed to effectively remedy the problem. Besides, as you do more questions, you soon realize the amount of information that FA actually covers. The questions also help you remember the material in FA more easily.

Q: Any advice on test-taking strategies?
A: One thing I found really useful from doing tons of questions is that on the real exam, I could often read the question stem and predict what type of question they were going to throw at me. I would also recommend coming up with your own answer in your head before you look at the answer choices; reading the other answer choices (distractors) before committing to a response can be confusing, especially when you're not very certain of your answer to start with. Of course, if you really have no idea what the question is getting at, reading the options first while using the process of elimination is often helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats on your accomplishment Pollux. Are you 100% aiming for the US?

I am already out and working and thinking about the daunting task of completing the USMLE at this late point.

Congrats on your accomplishment Pollux. Are you 100% aiming for the US?

I am already out and working and thinking about the daunting task of completing the USMLE at this late point.

Thanks markdc. :)
I plan to stay in Australia for my intern year and apply for US residency in the mean time. I am aiming for the 2011 match. This gives me at least a backup plan so I can return to Australia for college training in case the financial crisis in US continues to get worse. :p

Can I ask why you're interested in going to US now that you're working?

Best of luck in your preparation. Feel free to email me if you have any questions regarding the exam and exam preparation.

Members don't see this ad :)
276???
That is....amazing, and thoroughly reassuring.
I've been hesitant to apply to Oz schools due to worries about being able to prepare for the Step (If I chose to return to the states).
....Not so worried anymore.

Any advice for IMG's(US) applying to Oz schools?

now to see if i can do the same for NBDE part 1. ugh.

276???
That is....amazing, and thoroughly reassuring.
I've been hesitant to apply to Oz schools due to worries about being able to prepare for the Step (If I chose to return to the states).
....Not so worried anymore.

Any advice for IMG's(US) applying to Oz schools?

Please take my experience with a grain of salt. I never intended to use my score to prove that IMGs studying in Australia all succeed on the USMLE. I just wanted to show that it's definitely possible. You just have to put in a lot of work on your own.

I'd still encourage you to try US schools first before you apply to Oz schools, especially if you intend to go back to US eventually.

I believe the application process has changed quite a bit since I applied to Oz schools, so you probably have to look up these things yourself. However, I'd definitely suggest applying early, and to as many schools as possible. (You can list 2 schools on your ACER application, but many schools take independent applications; please look them up yourself because the list constantly changes)

now to see if i can do the same for NBDE part 1. ugh.

I don't know about the NBDE so can't help you there, but all the best. :)

Please take my experience with a grain of salt. I never intended to use my score to prove that IMGs studying in Australia all succeed on the USMLE. I just wanted to show that it's definitely possible. You just have to put in a lot of work on your own.

Haha, well obviously. I meant that it was reassuring in the sense that, like you point out, your story proves it can be done.

I'd still encourage you to try US schools first before you apply to Oz schools, especially if you intend to go back to US eventually.

Well, part of the reason I'm applying to Oz schools is that with the way things are going, I'm not sure I want anything to do with the American healthcare system, hence my interest in Australian schools. (That and a lifelong infatuation with Australia in general:D:rolleyes:.)

I've just heard of the shortage of internships predicted for Oz grads in the next couple of years, and was taking into consideration the fact that I might be forced to return to the states to find employment opportunities after graduating...

I would say that Pollux is not representative of anything here. He did what he did on his own and it likely had nothing to do with the education he received here. There is very little focus on biochem, microbio etc to the level of minute detail needed for the Step 1. That being said, it is mostly useless stuff to memorize for the real world. Pharmacology and Physiology sure, but knowing what nematode causes perianal pruritis is hardly useful in the long run. If you want to prepare for the USMLE you have to do it on your own.

Pollux, I don't know if I will apply to the US but it had always been part of the master plan to have the option to go. In order to do that I have to the USMLE at some point. However the longer I wait, the less likely it is that I will do it. My new plan is to study for the Step II and MCCQE1 together and then worry about step 1 later if for some reason I don't match here or in Canada soon.

Great suggestions. I'm fairly certain that I'll be referring back to this thread in the future as I prepare for the USMLE.

Well, part of the reason I'm applying to Oz schools is that with the way things are going, I'm not sure I want anything to do with the American healthcare system, hence my interest in Australian schools. (That and a lifelong infatuation with Australia in general:D:rolleyes:.)

I've just heard of the shortage of internships predicted for Oz grads in the next couple of years, and was taking into consideration the fact that I might be forced to return to the states to find employment opportunities after graduating...

I agree that the Australian healthcare system is quite unique in that there are both private and public systems. It works quite well now, but there are concerns that the healthcare cost will skyrocket in a few years time due to aging populations. I'm not working yet, but I'm sure the interns and residents here will tell you that the Australian healthcare system has its own share of problems too.

The shortage of doctors might end in a few years time due to the projected "medical student tsunami." Australia has opened around 5 new medical schools in the last 4 years, and there are a few more to come. There are concerns now that they might be overproducing medical students relative to the number of training positions available. The international students at UQ in the year above me had no problems getting intern positions after graduation for those who chose to stay, but some people are not so optimistic that the situation will be the same in 1 or 2 years time.

I would say that Pollux is not representative of anything here. He did what he did on his own and it likely had nothing to do with the education he received here. There is very little focus on biochem, microbio etc to the level of minute detail needed for the Step 1. That being said, it is mostly useless stuff to memorize for the real world. Pharmacology and Physiology sure, but knowing what nematode causes perianal pruritis is hardly useful in the long run. If you want to prepare for the USMLE you have to do it on your own.

If I want to thank UQ for one thing, it's gotta be the assessment format and the exam content in the basic sciences years; only 4 exams each year, and the questions were so random that going to lectures didn't really help. It gave me the option to skip irrelevant and uninteresting lectures so I could spend my time and energy studying for the USMLE. :D

I agree that a lot of information on the step 1 seems to have little clinical importance, especially in areas like biochem. However, I don't like the fact that the Australian medical curriculum de-emphasizes the value of basic sciences to the point that the amount of pathology and pharmacology education that one receives in 2nd year is quite minimal. In my opinion, these two subjects probably have the most clinical importance, and progressing to clinical years without a solid foundation in them will only make life harder.

Pollux, I don't know if I will apply to the US but it had always been part of the master plan to have the option to go. In order to do that I have to the USMLE at some point. However the longer I wait, the less likely it is that I will do it. My new plan is to study for the Step II and MCCQE1 together and then worry about step 1 later if for some reason I don't match here or in Canada soon.

I see. I will be sitting step 2 CS some time this year and CK next year. If you ever want to study together, let me know. (Are you based at GCH if I remembered correctly?) I probably won't be taking the MCCEE or QE any time soon because I'm not Canadian and therefore not eligible for CARMS matching, so my plan is to complete my specialist training in Aus or US before moving to Canada. (I went to uni at UBC, I really miss Vancouver :p )

Great suggestions. I'm fairly certain that I'll be referring back to this thread in the future as I prepare for the USMLE.

Thanks. I remember that you applied to UQ and USyd last year and got accepted to both. Are you in Australia now? If you ever have questions regarding USMLE preparation, don't hesitate to contact me. :)

Last edited:
Pollux, Congratulations on doing so well and thanks very much for your helpfulness. I'm curious about how you went through your exams. Did you mark them at all and then go back to check ones you were unsure of? I ask because I tend to mark all the ones I'm not sure of. From those marked questions, there's some I miss and some I get right; so, I don't know if it's a good strategy for me to mark them anyway. Of course, at the end of practice exams, I always go over the marked ones and missed ones. Seems I sorta knew marked ones I got right, but wasn't sure of them. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on your excellent marks!

Thanks for your thorough posts-very helpful.

Sadly the only two interns who failed internship last year were both from UQ. Both excellent guys but they had a lacking of the fundamentals. From what I've heard around the place UQ seems to be well known for skipping out on a lot of the basics.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of the "medical student tsunami" I've heard it both ways. It's really impossible to accurately predict what will happen, but keep in mind that not only is the Australian population aging (thus requiring more healthcare services/and therefore doctors) but so are the doctors themselves. Many doctors will be retiring in the next 5-10 years putting a lot of pressure to find people to fill these jobs, and there simply will not be enough graduates even with the increase in numbers to fill all the jobs that will be vacant in the next few years.

Then there's also the trend towards increasing numbers of (mainly) female doctors (as well as non-traditional male) doctors who work only part time or take on mainly locum work. Thus it's now taking two or three doctors to do what used to be the domain of a single doctor, again increasing the number of doctors that will be needed.

Even in pathology both of my consultants work only 4 days a week, and it's nearly impossible for them to find anyone willing to work the full 5 days as they've been trying for the last 5 years.

Pollux, Congratulations on doing so well and thanks very much for your helpfulness. I'm curious about how you went through your exams. Did you mark them at all and then go back to check ones you were unsure of? I ask because I tend to mark all the ones I'm not sure of. From those marked questions, there's some I miss and some I get right; so, I don't know if it's a good strategy for me to mark them anyway. Of course, at the end of practice exams, I always go over the marked ones and missed ones. Seems I sorta knew marked ones I got right, but wasn't sure of them. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi fruitloops,

I marked all the questions that I was not sure of (even the questions for which I could narrow down to 2 choices). Then after doing all the questions in the block, I would go back to the marked questions only. I found that going over all the questions again took too much time for me, and I usually don't change my answers for unmarked questions anyway. I'm not sure whether there's an ideal approach to marking questions, but this is just what worked for me. I tended to mark questions rather generously though, and from experience (the stats in UW), 80% of questions I answered incorrectly were also questions that I marked.

Congratulations on your excellent marks!

Thanks for your thorough posts-very helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to read my posts. :)

Sadly the only two interns who failed internship last year were both from UQ. Both excellent guys but they had a lacking of the fundamentals. From what I've heard around the place UQ seems to be well known for skipping out on a lot of the basics.

Hi redshifteffect,

Thank you for your input. For some reason, I'm not terribly surprised. I do believe that the UQ curriculum places too much emphasis on clinical medicine rather early on in the course at the expense of a solid foundation of basic sciences. Granted, detailed knowledge in subjects like biochem and anatomy is probably not relevant to everyday clinical practice; however, I wish they had spent more teaching hours and effort on the more clinically relevant subjects, like pharmacology and pathology. It would have made clinical years a lot easier with a solid foundation in the basics.

Working 4 days a week? I'm definitely going into Pathology then. :D (j/k, I've had my mind set on Pathology for a while now)

Hi, Pollux,
For microbiology, do you think memorizing virus structure (DS/SS RNA/DNA linear/circular, # of segment), capsid shape (helical/icosahedral), and envelop/naked are important for step 1?

Thanks for the great advice you have posted.

Hi, Pollux,
For microbiology, do you think memorizing virus structure (DS/SS RNA/DNA linear/circular, # of segment), capsid shape (helical/icosahedral), and envelop/naked are important for step 1?

Thanks for the great advice you have posted.

Hi md2011,

You don't necessarily have to know viral structures to get the virology questions right, but knowing them definitely helps. For example, they will often give you a clinical scenario (1-year old infant presents with severe watery diarrhea for 24 hours) and mention that naked virus with dsRNA genome were identified. You could come to the conclusion that it's most likely to be Rotavirus based on the clinical presentation and patient's age alone, but knowing that Rotavirus is a naked virus with dsRNA could further confirm your suspicion.

I relied a lot on mnemonics for micro.

For example,

Naked viruses - naked PAPP smear and CPR.
PAPP = Naked DNA viruses = Parvovirus, Adenovirus, Polyomavirus, Papillomavirus.
CPR = Naked RNA viruses = Calicivirus, Picornavirus, Reovirus

Alternatively, you could link the viral structures back to the diseases themselves. Because naked viruses don't have an envelope, they are less susceptible to denaturation by stomach acids, so their route of transmission is often fecal-oral. For example, Hep A (picornaviridae), Norovirus (caliciviridae), Rotavirus (reoviridae).

I would recommend learning the viruses with DNA, +ve RNA, and -ve RNA genomes as well. There's a pretty nice mnemonic for that in Kaplan notes. On the other hand, capsid shapes are not as high-yield, so I would not really worry about learning them.

That's so helpful. Thank you very much, Pollux

Hi Pollux,

Thanks again for all of your help and thoughtful tips! So, I've read through Kaplan biochem notes, specifically the chapters focussed on metabolism, two different times and understood everything quite well. Both times, my objective was primarily to understand. Now, with me test looming at the end of the month, I need to read through it again but it's important that the information stick this time. I've seen your recommendation to know all of the illustrations in First Aid. Are there any tips to remembering which enzymes go in which direction and memorizing control points of different cycles? I do have Goljan's HY Biochem list which seems to require just brute force memorization -- have you seen or used it? Any helpful hints are greatly appreciated.

That's so helpful. Thank you very much, Pollux

You're very welcome. :)

Hi Pollux,

Thanks again for all of your help and thoughtful tips! So, I've read through Kaplan biochem notes, specifically the chapters focussed on metabolism, two different times and understood everything quite well. Both times, my objective was primarily to understand. Now, with me test looming at the end of the month, I need to read through it again but it's important that the information stick this time. I've seen your recommendation to know all of the illustrations in First Aid. Are there any tips to remembering which enzymes go in which direction and memorizing control points of different cycles? I do have Goljan's HY Biochem list which seems to require just brute force memorization -- have you seen or used it? Any helpful hints are greatly appreciated.

Do you mean you're going to read Kaplan biochem again with less than a month remaining? I would not actually recommend it. Instead, just try to focus on the biochem section in FA, and you should be fine.

Don't bother learning EVERY single enzyme in the metabolic pathways. Take glycolysis for example, the enzymes you need to know are hexokinase (glucokinase in liver), PFK, and pyruvate kinase, because these enzymes catalyze irreversible reactions and are subject to regulation. Similarly, know the 4 enzymes in gluconeogenesis that catalyze the reactions in the reverse direction.

If you know the substrates that these enzymes catalyze, you should have no problem remembering the direction of reaction they catalyze. Remember: Kinase = Adding a phophate group, Phosphatase = Removing a phosphate group. You can easily see that this applies to hexokinase and PFK because you're adding a (P) to the substrates. However, pyruvate kinase gets its name not because it adds a (P) to pyruvate. It adds the (P) to ADP, making ATP, via substrate-level phosphorylation.

Pay special attention to the enzymes where deficiency leads to clinically important diseases, such as Von Gierke, fructose intolerance, and galactosemia. I would also recommend learning the list in FA which summarizes the enzyme catalyzing the rate-limiting step in each of the major metabolic pathways, which can be found in FA 2008 edition or newer. Sorry, but this does require certain amount of rote memorization. No pain, no gain. ;)

I didn't use Rapid Review Biochem because I found it to contain a few unnecessary details like the whole shebang on Purine and Pyrimidine denovo synthesis, which I consider to be overkill for board purposes. If you really wants to spend more time on biochem, I would recommend Kaplan webprep Biochem audios by Dr Lionel Raymon. I think it's around 8 hours total time, which you can finish in one day.

How does one fail internship? Isn't it a rotation based assessment? I can see how someone would have to repeat one rotation because of a bad assessment but the whole internship? Did they make these guys re do the whole year?

How does one fail internship? Isn't it a rotation based assessment? I can see how someone would have to repeat one rotation because of a bad assessment but the whole internship? Did they make these guys re do the whole year?

The way that internships were assessed in Hobart was we had two assessments - a midterm and an end of rotation appraisal from our supervisors. There were basically three categories, below average, average or above average and a pass/fail over riding all of that. There were also other things like clinical skills etc that were assessed in the above three categories, and a section at the back for putting a plan into place if the intern was struggling at midterm.

I dont want to give too much away in case the people in question read the forum, but lets just say they failed more then one rotation (if it was only one they could have simply repeated that rotation) and they were given very "easy" consultants when it was noted that they were struggling. They still failed to pass. They also failed all their core rotations, so were unable to get general registration at the end of the year.

But to put this into context, they were seeing about 1/3 of the number of patients in DEM that other interns were seeing, even by the end of the term, and were unable to make even simple clinical decisions.

The way that internships were assessed in Hobart was we had two assessments - a midterm and an end of rotation appraisal from our supervisors. There were basically three categories, below average, average or above average and a pass/fail over riding all of that. There were also other things like clinical skills etc that were assessed in the above three categories, and a section at the back for putting a plan into place if the intern was struggling at midterm.

I imagine there weren't too many UQ graduates who went interstate to Tazzie, yet two of them failed the intern year. Wow, that should be some sobering statistics for UQ SOM. :rolleyes:

I haven't heard of anyone failing their intern year in Queensland yet. But again, maybe I just don't know enough interns and residents.

Last edited:
Hey Pollux, I'm curious if you thought that taking the test after clinical rotations helped you on Step 1. Curious both from a prep point of view and also wondering how useful cramming all this stuff into your head will turn out to be on rotations.

Hey Pollux, I'm curious if you thought that taking the test after clinical rotations helped you on Step 1. Curious both from a prep point of view and also wondering how useful cramming all this stuff into your head will turn out to be on rotations.

Hi JDMD243,

I would actually recommend taking step 1 after the basic science years if you can. Because I took my exam at the end of 3rd year, I had some time to study for clinical rotations using material like Step-Up to Medicine and Goljan step 2 audios. I'd say that these helped minimally in terms of Step 1 preparation. It's really not worth the effort trying to tackle this exam and dealing with clinical rotations at the same time.

However, it's definitely useful to know the basics well when you're in clinical years. So use that as extra motivation to learn your basic sciences well, not just for the exam, but for rotations too.

Hi Pollux, Thanks again for all of your help. The biochem actually seems easy when you explain some of the high points as you did in your last post to me--that is, it's easy until I realize there's a lot of it. Anyway, having almost 3 weeks left to study, I'm considering the self-assessment situation. I've taken UW 1, UW 2, and NBME 5--tests were taken in November and last test taken was first week of December. I'm thinking of taking one at the end of this week and then another at the end of the following week. My question is which two of the remaining nbme exams would you recommend that I take? I wasn't thinking of taking all the nbmes because I "waste" a whole day each time I take one in the sense that I don't have answers for the nbmes and am usually pretty tired after I take them, so, post-test study effort seriously wanes.

Thanks for posting this...very helpful... CONGRATS

Last edited:
fruitloops - I would recommend NBME 6 because the questions are most similar to the real exam. The last one doesn't matter; most people consider NBME 3 to be the hardest because it contains tons of questions on molecular biology. I would say give it a go; I had a lot of cell bio and molecular bio questions on my real exam, so I'd say better be prepared for them.

majesticmar - Thanks. I've replied your PM. If you have more questions feel free to PM me again.

fruitloops - I would recommend NBME 6 because the questions are most similar to the real exam. The last one doesn't matter; most people consider NBME 3 to be the hardest because it contains tons of questions on molecular biology. I would say give it a go; I had a lot of cell bio and molecular bio questions on my real exam, so I'd say better be prepared for them.

Hi, Pollux,

Do you think HY Cell Biology book will be sufficient for the step 1 given the increasing number of cell and molecular bio questions on real exam?

Hi, Pollux,

Do you think HY Cell Biology book will be sufficient for the step 1 given the increasing number of cell and molecular bio questions on real exam?

Hi md2011,

If you read FA and HY Cell Bio and understand everything in these two books, you should be able to answer >90% of cell and molecular bio questions on the exam.

Hi md2011,

If you read FA and HY Cell Bio and understand everything in these two books, you should be able to answer >90% of cell and molecular bio questions on the exam.

Hi Pollux,

Since we're on this topic of cell and molecular bio questions, do you think the 1999 HY Cell Bio is adequate or did you use the much denser newer version of HY Cell Bio? And, are the UWorld questions covering this topic not enough? Thanks in advance.

Hi Pollux,

Since we're on this topic of cell and molecular bio questions, do you think the 1999 HY Cell Bio is adequate or did you use the much denser newer version of HY Cell Bio? And, are the UWorld questions covering this topic not enough? Thanks in advance.

Hi fruitloops,

I would actually recommend the 1999 edition, because the new edition contains way too much detail for board purposes. The UW questions are helpful, but by no means cover the entire spectrum of questions in this subject. I would highly recommend knowing the different types of receptors and the intracellular signalling pathways for each. There's a recent post on the usmle step 1 subforum where a guy shared his summary diagram for this topic. Highly recommended.

I would actually recommend the 1999 edition, because the new edition contains way too much detail for board purposes. The UW questions are helpful, but by no means cover the entire spectrum of questions in this subject. I would highly recommend knowing the different types of receptors and the intracellular signalling pathways for each. There's a recent post on the usmle step 1 subforum where a guy shared his summary diagram for this topic. Highly recommended.

Hi, Pollux,

Do you have the link for the summary diagram you mentioned by any chance?

:)

Attachments

• Steroid Hormone Receptors.pdf
    124.5 KB · Views: 931
Hey Pollux,

Would you recommend a certain edition of FA over the others? I noticed that the 2009 FA doesn't contain the "high yield clinical vignettes" at the beginning of each section the way the 2008 FA does.

Hey Pollux,

Would you recommend a certain edition of FA over the others? I noticed that the 2009 FA doesn't contain the "high yield clinical vignettes" at the beginning of each section the way the 2008 FA does.

Hi OnlyLiveOnce,

I don't think the edition of FA makes much of a difference. I used 2008 FA and I quite liked the clinical vignettes, so it would be a shame if they remove those from the latest edition. However, you can always just buy the 2009 edition and borrow your friend's 2008 if you wanna read the vignettes.

Hi Pollux,

Congrats on the amazing test score! I had a couple of questions for you, since you're thinking of going to practice in the States. I was wondering where you went for your elective in first year and whether this will affect your chances at getting a residency position in the States. What about doing clinical rotations in North America; would that increase your chances of getting into a residency position in the US/Canada? Also, where do you think you will be doing your fourth year elective? I am confused about the whole process of doing electives in N.A. for the sake of having a better shot at residency positions in USA/Canada. I'm sure it helps, but I wanted to know if it is absolutely imperative that you do them in N.A. if you "think" you may end up wanting to practice there (just in case AUS doesn't pan out for me). Thanks for the help and great job once again!

p.s. I am also a fellow UQ'er!:)

Hi Pollux,

Congrats on the amazing test score! I had a couple of questions for you, since you're thinking of going to practice in the States. I was wondering where you went for your elective in first year and whether this will affect your chances at getting a residency position in the States. What about doing clinical rotations in North America; would that increase your chances of getting into a residency position in the US/Canada? Also, where do you think you will be doing your fourth year elective? I am confused about the whole process of doing electives in N.A. for the sake of having a better shot at residency positions in USA/Canada. I'm sure it helps, but I wanted to know if it is absolutely imperative that you do them in N.A. if you "think" you may end up wanting to practice there (just in case AUS doesn't pan out for me). Thanks for the help and great job once again!

p.s. I am also a fellow UQ'er!:)

Hi leilad,

Glad to see a fellow UQer here! :D

I would say where you do your first year elective is not very important. I went back home (Taiwan) and basically just took it as a long holiday. We're only required to go in for 20-25 hours a week, which is not a lot of time at all. And I was so clueless back in first year so it didn't really matter what I did for elective in retrospect. I'd just suggest doing something that you find interesting.

However, doing your 3rd or 4th year clinical rotations in North America is highly recommended, if not necessary, if you plan to apply for US or Canadian residency programs. You will need up to 4 letters of recommendation when you apply for NRMP matching, so I would recommend getting at least 3 from US clinicians. I will be going to New Orleans in 2 weeks time and spending at least 4 months at Ochsner Clinic. I'll let you know how things go. :)

Hi leilad,

Glad to see a fellow UQer here! :D

I would say where you do your first year elective is not very important. I went back home (Taiwan) and basically just took it as a long holiday. We're only required to go in for 20-25 hours a week, which is not a lot of time at all. And I was so clueless back in first year so it didn't really matter what I did for elective in retrospect. I'd just suggest doing something that you find interesting.

However, doing your 3rd or 4th year clinical rotations in North America is highly recommended, if not necessary, if you plan to apply for US or Canadian residency programs. You will need up to 4 letters of recommendation when you apply for NRMP matching, so I would recommend getting at least 3 from US clinicians. I will be going to New Orleans in 2 weeks time and spending at least 4 months at Ochsner Clinic. I'll let you know how things go. :)

Firstly, massive props for the fantastic score pollux! You definitely worked hard (1000 hours on the basic science is more contact hours than I had for my first two years at uni, lol :p!), and it certainly paid off for you- well done.

A little about me- I'm a Ugrad at Melbourne Uni. In 3rd year so doing my last pre-clin semester.

If I could, I'd just like to ask you a question about doing your elective in the states.

A) If you wouldn't mind, could I ask how much you're budgeting for the entire trip? I imagine the hospital would have an admin fee attached to it, and then there's travel/accom/living expenses...
I've toyed with the idea of doing my final year elective in the states/UK, but since I'm trying to be as financially independent as possible this could be a deal-breaker...I'd like to start saving now though, so if you could throw me a rough figure, I can probably get myself organised :).

B) Are there any barriers in Ugrad med students doing their electives in the states, a far as you know? My understanding is that the concept of a 'ugrad med student' is a bit of an oxymoron to a lot of american hospitals, and my friends have found it difficult to get research placements (for their B. Med Sci years) there.

C) Finally, how'd you go about getting this elective sorted? Are a lot of institutions keen on having foreign med students over? Ideally, I'd love to do a rotation at a place like the Mayo Clinic since I'm interested in neuro, but I have no idea how keen they'd be on an australian joining them for 6-8 weeks.

Cheers for any thoughts/insights. And hope your placement over in New Orleans goes fantastic- sounds to me you'll get all the recs that you deserve!

Firstly, massive props for the fantastic score pollux! You definitely worked hard (1000 hours on the basic science is more contact hours than I had for my first two years at uni, lol :p!), and it certainly paid off for you- well done.

Hi Raygun77,

Sorry about the late reply. I just arrived in New Orleans a week ago, and things have been quite hectic. I have sent you a PM, so please check your inbox.

-Pollux

Hi Pollux I am just reading your USMLE experience for the 1st time. Good job. In your thread, you indicated that it only took you a month to finish Kaplan notes for all subject save for pathology. How concise are these notes? I am planning to use my school notes in lieu of Kaplan notes. Each subject's is over 1000 pages. Finishing about 5000 page of notes seems like a daunting task. Is reading school notes a good idea?For exam purpose and review of concept would suggest Kaplan's notes instead? I still have about a year before the Exam. Thanks and congrats

Pollux,
Thanks for all your information. It is very much appreciated. I would love to hear more about your time at Oschner and how you plan on matching in the US. I'm applying now to UQ (awfully awfully late) but I'm also planning on being ready for the 2011 year (USyd and UQ being my targets because of what I've heard.) Hope your time in NO is great!

SFs Own Tone said:
I would love to hear more about your time at Oschner...
FYI, Oschner is a new program that they just started this year. Pollux wouldn't have gone to Oschner. Also, even now, most of the international students at UQ will do their clinical years in Brisbane; only a few go to Oschner.

FYI, Oschner is a new program that they just started this year. Pollux wouldn't have gone to Oschner. Also, even now, most of the international students at UQ will do their clinical years in Brisbane; only a few go to Oschner.

Pollux wrote that he's in New Orleans now and plans on spending 4 months at Oschner. It sounds like its not part of the 2 years UQ/2 years Oschner, but his experience would still be a good indicator of Oschner's clinical education.

Edit: Just read that he posted arriving in NO back in March. I guess he would be finishing up about now.

Oh, I see... I searched the thread for "Oschner", but I didn't find his post because he misspelled it.

Hi Pollux I am just reading your USMLE experience for the 1st time. Good job. In your thread, you indicated that it only took you a month to finish Kaplan notes for all subject save for pathology. How concise are these notes? I am planning to use my school notes in lieu of Kaplan notes. Each subject's is over 1000 pages. Finishing about 5000 page of notes seems like a daunting task. Is reading school notes a good idea?For exam purpose and review of concept would suggest Kaplan's notes instead? I still have about a year before the Exam. Thanks and congrats

I wouldn't recommend using your school notes for USMLE review purposes; Kaplan notes are very long-winded already. If you have a good foundation in the basic science subjects, you can probably go straight to HY series or FA.

Oh, I see... I searched the thread for "Oschner", but I didn't find his post because he misspelled it.

No. It is spelled "OCHSNER".
http://www.ochsner.org

Pollux wrote that he's in New Orleans now and plans on spending 4 months at Oschner. It sounds like its not part of the 2 years UQ/2 years Oschner, but his experience would still be a good indicator of Oschner's clinical education.

Edit: Just read that he posted arriving in NO back in March. I guess he would be finishing up about now.

Yep, just finished my last day of rotation yesterday. It's been a pretty crazy 4 months for me, because I decided to take the Step 2 CK AND CS while I was in the US. I just finished CK 3 days ago, actually.

Now that I finally have time to write about my experience at Ochsner, I would say it's been absolutely fantastic: very modern facility, busy yet efficient hospital service, diverse patient population, and attendings who are dedicated to teaching. As a medical students, I was given a lot more responsibilities in the US than in Australia, in terms following up my assigned patients and learning about their progresses, discussing the cases with the attendings, and coming up with a management plan. They expected me to function at the level of an intern, which is the best way to learn how things are done. I've thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Ochsner and would recommend it to anyone. In fact, I'm only going to be in Australia for 2 more months now for my O&G rotation, and I'm going back to New Orleans at the end of September for my last rotation in med school.

I see, I guess I misspelled it.

Pollux - did you do anything during first year aside from listening to Goljan and reviewing your normal course material?

Hey,
Im an intern in Melbourne about to take the step 2 CS in a few weeks. Completed step 1 and CK with high scores but havent done much study for the CS exam as yet. Just wanted to get an australian trained perspective of what it was like. Is it very similar to our OSCEs? and did you study much for it? Any deficiencies you noticed by training in australia that I should concentrate on?

Ive got the FA and usmleworld subscription for it and I feel like i should pass without problems.

Cheers