any NY residents get into a med school, but not a SUNY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo23

The Truth
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how NYS residents have faired with the suny system and if they've been rejected from all them but still gotten into another med school. I notice from the AMCAS book that SUNY's pretty OOS friendly at least compared to other states, which sucks for us new york residents.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected from all of my SUNYs.. in at Michigan State. :p

got into downstate, but its the only suny i applied to

Members don't see this ad :)
for what its worth, i have one friend who got into mcw and one who got into penn state and neither of them got into the sunys (an interview or 2 though)...both nyc residents

rude much? :thumbdown:

I think it's rude for someone to just brag about their acceptances and not read the original post. The post asked about people not getting in to SUNY's while getting into other schools. Instead of discussing this, the person choose to state that they got into the only SUNY school they applied to. I just don't see what that has to do with the original question. If you want to defend your SDN friend that's fine, but it still doesn't change the fact that she just used this thread to pop in and say "hey, I only applied to one SUNY as a resident but got into it"

I think it's rude for someone to just brag about their acceptances and not read the original post. The post asked about people not getting in to SUNY's while getting into other schools. Instead of discussing this, the person choose to state that they got into the only SUNY school they applied to. I just don't see what that has to do with the original question. If you want to defend your SDN friend that's fine, but it still doesn't change the fact that she just used this thread to pop in and say "hey, I only applied to one SUNY as a resident but got into it"
dude calm down. It's a thread about NYers applying to SUNYs so how is that not relevant? You didn't even start this thread so why are you guarding it like a bulldog? Just chill out I don't think anyone is trying to brag or attack you.

Did your feelings get hurt?

OP asked if a NY resident got into a SUNY.

This person said they got into Downstate. Thus, that person did in fact have success into getting a SUNY. How is that not relevant? I think the moral of the story is, it is definitely possible for a NY resident to get into a SUNY, as was suspected, since it is the state-supported school system of NY State.

No hurt feelings, I am plenty happy with my position in the cycle. I just don't need to drop into threads to state it. People going out of there way to brag on this site just gets old, but hey to each their own. If internet pat on the backs do it for you all the more power to you.

I am wondering how NYS residents have faired with the suny system and if they've been rejected from all them but still gotten into another med school. I notice from the AMCAS book that SUNY's pretty OOS friendly at least compared to other states, which sucks for us new york residents.

i've had the exact opposite experience actually

i've had the exact opposite experience actually
me too. I think most ISers do just fine but it is true the SUNYs aren't as devoted to IS applicants as other state schools.

Now why can't NY SUNYs be as restrictive as Texas towards OOS'ers? :smuggrin:

it looks liek the title of the thread doesnt match the question inside.
title: any ny residents get into med school, but NOT a SUNY?
question inside there is an extra" I am wondering how NYS residents have faired with the suny system"... so sorry for the commotion..

Now why can't NY SUNYs be as restrictive as Texas towards OOS'ers? :smuggrin:

I'm with you all the way. We let in plenty of OOS students and even some international, but NY isn't particularly nice to its own, even though we pay sky-high taxes to run the system! (I'm a nontrad, so I really HAVE been paying sky-high taxes to NY for a long time.)

I have 5 interviews so far, including 2 at public schools in other states where I am OOS. But I've interviewed at only 1 SUNY, Upstate--and I was waitlisted. No word out of Buffalo, and rejected at Downstate and Stony Brook.

I've decided that SUNY really stands for "Suck it Up: Not You."

I'm with you all the way. We let in plenty of OOS students and even some international, but NY isn't particularly nice to its own, even though we pay sky-high taxes to run the system! (I'm a nontrad, so I really HAVE been paying sky-high taxes to NY for a long time.)

I have 5 interviews so far, including 2 at public schools in other states where I am OOS. But I've interviewed at only 1 SUNY, Upstate--and I was waitlisted. No word out of Buffalo, and rejected at Downstate and Stony Brook.

I've decided that SUNY really stands for "Suck it Up: Not You."

ROFL. Well, that is one way to put it. Hang in there, buddy.