Western Alternate List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chober

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got put on the alternate list for Western, anyone know how deep the list runs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm on it too. But, I think that they may be sending these out to those that hey didn't choose initially. I'm just guessing, but I think they're putting those not accepted on this list so they have a better idea of who's still interested in a spot. BUT, I am praying for myself and u guys so we can get in!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too. When did you guys interview and have you been accepted anywhere else?

I interviewed in Oct, and no acceptances yet.

I interviewed in Jan and I have no acceptance, yet.

I interviewed Jan as well and do not have any acceptances yet. I wonder if anyone that interviewed has been rejected or do they waitlist everbody?

I got accepted there but has declined my offer. Guys keep the head up!!

Does anyone know how many people are on the list?

i declined the offer too. interviewed mid-december.

Hi Phobos. When did you decline your offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any updates on movement?

My AADSAS updated for the first time from Western yesterday stating "Waitlisted- Alternate"

I just got put on the alternate list for Western, anyone know how deep the list runs?

Hey people, I was at Western yesterday with my pre-dental club. I also got put on the alternate list. So I asked them about the stats of this year's pool. Western told me they accepted all 64 deposits for their seats at the moment and they also have 80 spots on the alternate seats, from over 300 people whom they interviewed. They will start calling people off the alternate list after their second deposits come in on April 17th. So be ready!!! Good luck to those who really wants to go to Western!!!They're going to randomly select, basically pull names out of the lottery for people who are coming off the waiting list.

Interesting fact I learned while at Western. Their accpeted students have lower GPA and DAT than the alternate list group.

Hey people, I was at Western yesterday with my pre-dental club. I also got put on the alternate list. So I asked them about the stats of this year's pool. Western told me they accepted all 64 deposits for their seats at the moment and they also have 80 spots on the alternate seats, from over 300 people whom they interviewed. They will start calling people off the alternate list after their second deposits come in on April 17th. So be ready!!! Good luck to those who really wants to go to Western!!!They're going to randomly select, basically pull names out of the lottery for people who are coming off the waiting list.

Interesting fact I learned while at Western. Their accpeted students have lower GPA and DAT than the alternate list group.

Good luck to everyone and me:oops:

so how did your tour go? any new info/news on the school since the interview info session?

so how did your tour go? any new info/news on the school since the interview info session?

Um...the tour was ok, nothing TOO new really. Met their oralmaxilliao-facial radiologist. Ok I can't really spell that title but you get the point. He showed us bunch of cool pics and that's about it.

Last edited:

What a genius move by the adcom in establishing their charter school ( That's what happens when the Dean is not involved in the selection process!). Will check with them after they took their step 1.

What a genius move by the adcom in establishing their charter school ( That's what happens when the Dean is not involved in the selection process!). Will check with them after they took their step 1.

GPA and DAT scores are not everything, especially at western because of their patient centered holistic approach

btw look at ASDOH's stats and then look at their student pass rate for the boards part 1, do they have a problem? no.

and I dont know if Dr. Koelbl was or wasn't involved in the selection process, but even if he wasn't there are plenty of deans at reputable schools out there who also aren't involved in the selection process.

GPA and DAT scores are not everything, especially at western because of their patient centered holistic approach

btw look at ASDOH's stats and then look at their student pass rate for the boards part 1, do they have a problem? no.

and I dont know if Dr. Koelbl was or wasn't involved in the selection process, but even if he wasn't there are plenty of deans at reputable schools out there who also aren't involved in the selection process.

let me make a very wild guess. Western U is the only school you have been admitted to??
as for the rest of your idiotic points and stats, you are not worth my time

What exactly is this argument about?

Where were they that you could possibly choose Western???? Thats just stupid

I dont think ijack is choosing Western. He's just making a statement on how grades aren't everything when it comes to applicants. Then apparently he got insulted by the other person.

its nothing, i don't get on the internet to argue, its whatever... stay healthy

Nothing wrong with choosing Western I think......cept the campus location is fairly "unique"

btw, i will not be attending western, im going somewhere else :), but my roommate will be attending western

If you guys had to choose between Western and USC, which would you guys choose?

If you guys had to choose between Western and USC, which would you guys choose?

Depends if money is an issue. You can't go wrong with any dental school. Western's tuition is 50k/year, USC is like 70k

btw, i will not be attending western, im going somewhere else :), but my roommate will be attending western

Hey ijack, congrat to you and your roommate!! Where are you heading to?

"...Interesting fact I learned while at Western. Their accpeted students have lower GPA and DAT than the alternate list group."

Everyone that I interviewed with that actually got in (including me :D), had excellent stats. We were told that our class will be made up of unique, and diverse individuals. Not just book smart students.

"...Interesting fact I learned while at Western. Their accpeted students have lower GPA and DAT than the alternate list group."

Everyone that I interviewed with that actually got in (including me :D), had excellent stats. We were told that our class will be made up of unique, and diverse individuals. Not just book smart students.

Yeah, that's true because the extreme book smart people (high stats) end up at cheaper in-state or ivy leagues.

Last edited:
Thats not far from the truth. I have two friends that interviewed at Western U. One applied in July, had 22 AVG DAT, ECs to boot, and 3.8 sc GPA- he was WAITLISTED. The other, applied in late October, had 3.4 sc GPA (TWO Cs in both OCHEMs), no ECs, 20 DAT- he got in Dec 1. Needless to say, the 1st one is now at a cheaper school, while the second has no choice.

Ya it ALL really depends on how you act during your interview. I knew I screwed up on one of the most important questions they asked. What can you bring to the class of 2013? I also chocked on the question where they asked me to give them a creative thing I did in a situation. I could NOT think of one right on the spot even though I've had MANY.

I bombed those 2 questions and I did not ask intellgent questions at the end. I walked into Western with 7 questions which I thought they're not too shabby. Too bad Dean Trumbly asnwered them all during the presentation and I was the very first one up for an interview. Did not have enough time to come up with new question. I got placed on the alternate list so I guess I didn't do that bad.