toradol or norflex IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rohit76

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we safely discharge patients after toradol or norflex IM shot without drivers? In a community ED, I was told by nursing staff that since these shots can cause dizziness, they no longer could discharge the patients without drivers.

Members don't see this ad.

I still have pts wait 20 min after toradol injections on the off chance that they develop a serious rxn(have seen a few following im use). no reason they shouldn't drive themselves home after that though....

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we safely discharge patients after toradol or norflex IM shot without drivers? In a community ED, I was told by nursing staff that since these shots can cause dizziness, they no longer could discharge the patients without drivers.
So, do patients that get tetanus shots have to get drivers?

In our health system, there is "shot time" - 15 minutes - for any IM injection. That is just to observe for any acute/allergic reactions.

As far as things that might sedate, like opiates, or PO Flexeril, or Norflex, patients either have to have a driver, or they can wait until the medication effect wears off. As I tell the patients, even with a prescription, you still are not legal to drive under a medication effect (just like it's legal to drink a beer, but not to drive).

yeah we have an "injection unit", kind of like a chest pain unit. can't be too careful. It is right next to our Ortho holding area, where we watch suspected scaphoid fractures for a week or so, get repeat Xrays Q12 to see if a fracture indeed becomes radiographically evident.

yeah we have an "injection unit", kind of like a chest pain unit. can't be too careful. It is right next to our Ortho holding area, where we watch suspected scaphoid fractures for a week or so, get repeat Xrays Q12 to see if a fracture indeed becomes radiographically evident.

:laugh: