2009-2010 Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information. (limit 2000 characters)

LOR REQUIREMENTS

Applicants enrolled in colleges with a premedical advisory system should request that the chair of the Premedical Advisory Committee, premedical advisor, coordinator, or person in charge of advising send an evaluation to AMCAS.

If there is no health professions advisor, advisory committee, or office of advising premedical students at your school, evaluations from three individuals who are qualified to evaluate you personally and academically will be considered.

If you are no longer an undergraduate student, alternate recommendation methods include:

• If you are attending graduate school, one of your evaluations must be from a graduate advisor or major professor.
  • If you are attending graduate school but have no graduate advisor or major professor, one of your evaluations must be from the chairperson of your major department.
  • If you have not attended a college or university for one year or more, and you are currently employed or in military service, one of your evaluations must be from your immediate supervisor (if self-employed, an evaluation from a business associate).
The second and third evaluations must be from current or former professors. All evaluations must be current. Evaluations more than one year old are not acceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey fellow Baylor Applicants!

So I did some research on secondaries this morning and here is what I found:

Baylor's secondary is available online here. There is no screen for applicants.The application is not up as of yet, but when it is, we will create a user profile and login into the application that will be accessible on the above website. I am not sure if Baylor will email us when the application is available online, but I'll be checking and I will post when I see that it is available. Just for reference, last year someone posted the secondary prompts on June 30th.

Best of luck this year. :luck:

I love baylor :). I walk through its (very tiny) parking lot several times a day on my way to and from my research building.

Members don't see this ad :)
After looking at my timeline, I can confirm what ksmi117 said about the secondaries being posted around July 1st. Be sure to have $80 to cover the fee. ;)

For those who haven't heard, BCM will be on a pass-fail system for the entire pre-clinical curriculum starting with the incoming class. Hopefully this will further entice people to apply. Best of luck to everyone! :)

the supplemental application is online...just a bunch of questions really...here is the only prompt i see:

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you,
including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity.
You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit.

Thanks for the heads up, Jolt. I updated the first post with the prompt and the LOR reqs for those of you interested. :) Yay Baylor!

Sounds like it is very similar to one of the TMDSAS supplemental essays.

So once we make a username and login to start filling out stuff, is there a deadline or something? Or maybe an 'earliest date to file?' Because I started filling stuff out then got stumped by the essay thingy and don't know when I'll come up with an answer, but assume I'll figure it out come July 1st ish. Which would still be plenty early, right?

So once we make a username and login to start filling out stuff, is there a deadline or something? Or maybe an 'earliest date to file?' Because I started filling stuff out then got stumped by the essay thingy and don't know when I'll come up with an answer, but assume I'll figure it out come July 1st ish. Which would still be plenty early, right?

I think that will be perfect. I think we'll probably get an email from them post June 24th.

So, should we wait for the email to submit?

Any nontrads applying to baylor that don't have LORs under a year old? I am worried that asking profs from 4-8 years ago to write new letters from memory isn't going to result in the best or most accurate evaluations....

I have no idea what to write for this one. It appears that a well done and comprehensive primary AMCAS application would obviate this type of prompt.
Anyone have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea what to write for this one. It appears that a well done and comprehensive primary AMCAS application would obviate this type of prompt.
Anyone have any ideas?

My primary AMCAS essay was very broad and covered multiple points that I wanted to state. Baylor's secondary allowed me to expound on a major important theme/topic that I felt was just breezed over on my primary. I used up the whole characters(2000) emphasizing that point on my secondary.

umm... is this one of those "truly optional" essays? In the beginning of the prompt it mentions special experiences or unusual factors. that makes it seem like only if you have to explain something that went wrong in college. or am I wrong?

Edit: ok, well I haven't seen the actual application yet, so I thought maybe this essay might be listed as optional haha maybe it's a required essay. if so, please disregard my question!

umm... is this one of those "truly optional" essays? In the beginning of the prompt it mentions special experiences or unusual factors. that makes it seem like only if you have to explain something that went wrong in college. or am I wrong?

Edit: ok, well I haven't seen the actual application yet, so I thought maybe this essay might be listed as optional haha maybe it's a required essay. if so, please disregard my question!

It doesn't seem optional to me.

Having said that, I have no idea what to write about. How are people approaching this one? To me it seems best to focus on one thing and talk about it, but from the prompt it's hard to tell whether or not they want you to talk about as many of the listed factors as possible.

It doesn't seem optional to me.

Having said that, I have no idea what to write about. How are people approaching this one? To me it seems best to focus on one thing and talk about it, but from the prompt it's hard to tell whether or not they want you to talk about as many of the listed factors as possible.

Last year, I interpreted it as not optional and filled it out. (I interpreted WashU's as optional and left it blank.)

so are people going to write a full-fledged essay for this one? Or is it more of an add-on to the AMCAS work/activities section, or maybe a spot where you discuss anything in your app that might need further explanation?

so are people going to write a full-fledged essay for this one? Or is it more of an add-on to the AMCAS work/activities section, or maybe a spot where you discuss anything in your app that might need further explanation?

I wrote an actual essay

I wrote an actual essay

same here. editing right now. it will probably be the one i use for multiple secondaries. my only problem is doing it under the character limit.

the supplemental application is online...just a bunch of questions really...here is the only prompt i see:

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you,
including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity.
You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit.

This is great!!! I wrote an optional essay for TMDSAS and the limit was 2500 characters. Now I have to work on cutting it down to 2000.

On another note...I called Baylor and someone explained to me how they select students for interviews.

1. they score you on GPA
2. they score you on MCAT
3. a reviewer score you based on whole application.
4. they add up the 3 up above and screen students for interviews. top half will get the interview while bottom half does not.

I will definitely need a miracle to land an interview.

On another note...I called Baylor and someone explained to me how they select students for interviews.

1. they score you on GPA
4. they add up the 3 up above and screen students for interviews. top half will get the interview while bottom half does not.

This is good to know. Thanks. So all three are equivalent??

I have a hard time believing that BCM interviews 50% of applicants. But that method works if you mean "half" really loosely :) I bet they're weighted differently. How, I have no idea.

I have a hard time believing that BCM interviews 50% of applicants. But that method works if you mean "half" really loosely :) I bet they're weighted differently. How, I have no idea.

yeah i meant that. they said students are ranked top, middle, and bottom. so probably half of the top gets itnerviewed? And the lady said they all carry equal weight.

1. they score you on GPA

Interesting. I'd love to interview at Baylor.

did you guys talk about multiple things? it seems like in talking about 2 separate things, you don't get to go into a lot of detail about each one.

did you guys talk about multiple things? it seems like in talking about 2 separate things, you don't get to go into a lot of detail about each one.

Yeah, that's what I did. They are closely related but it's still 2 things. I feel like if they want to know more they'd ask in the interview.

I'm taking a completely different approach and talking about a quality I have. Whatever, hope they like it?

just got the e-mail from baylor. now i dont feel so sketchy filling out the secondary.

If we don't remember SAT scores and HS class sizes and ranks, is it important to look up or does it not really matter?

Just submitted my application today. I feel a lot better now that i got Baylor out of the way.

If we don't remember SAT scores and HS class sizes and ranks, is it important to look up or does it not really matter?

It doesn't matter. To this date, I have no idea what my class rank and graduating GPA were from high school, lol. Best of luck to everyone! :)

So I just looked on my status page and it said I was..
"complete and going to the committee for review in the near future"
Does that mean I am complete? I didn't get an email or anything, but does that really even matter?

So I just looked on my status page and it said I was..
"complete and going to the committee for review in the near future"
Does that mean I am complete? I didn't get an email or anything, but does that really even matter?

Yep, you're complete. Woot! I don't think they normally email if it's readily available for us to check.

Mine still says haven't receive letters of rec. Will Baylor use the letters that AMCAS received from me?

can we interpret the special experiences essay as a kind of "tell us something that's not in your AMCAS app" type question (as with Dartmouth)? Or are they really looking for something "unique" and "special" and "unusual"? thanks

Mine still says haven't receive letters of rec. Will Baylor use the letters that AMCAS received from me?

Yes, they will get the letters from AMCAS.

can we interpret the special experiences essay as a kind of "tell us something that's not in your AMCAS app" type question (as with Dartmouth)? Or are they really looking for something "unique" and "special" and "unusual"? thanks

I think you can kinda go anywhere with this prompt. But you can elaborate on AMCAS stuff which I think might be better. For AMCAS, I didn't write the effect activities had on me, and I took my favorite and wrote about how it changed me kinda. But really, whatever you write, they might ask about in an interview, so pick something you are passionate about.

Status
Not open for further replies.