2009-2010 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompt

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.

What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.

Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.

No limits on the essays, but they have to fit in the boxes on the application.

LOR Requirements

A letter of recommendation will be sent by your Premedical Advisory Committee, please indicate the name of the
school and the chairman of the Committee. (If your school has a premedical advisory committee but you are not using that service, please indicate why).

OR

Letters of recommendation must be sent from three faculty (2 science, 1 non-science).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Showing some Virginia love! Good luck, you guys!

(I'm not submitting AMCAS *quite* yet, but why not post anyway?)

Showing some Virginia love! Good luck, you guys!

(I'm not submitting AMCAS *quite* yet, but why not post anyway?)

same to u. Im applying but im oos. Hope they show me some love.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow another secondary that's already out!

so what do you guys LEAST like about medicine?!

Does EVMS screen for OOS applicants?

yay, so i wont be worrying about the secondary ahead of time ;)

Man it's disappointing that they screen....I actually really like this secondary....does anyone here know the general stats they look for when they screen? And are EC's/personal statment taken into account for this screen or is it just numbers based?

Members don't see this ad :)
what does this mean? "screening oos"

It means they "screen" primary applications by a certain minimum GPA and/or MCAT - if you fall below that minimum, you get rejected without even a secondary.

It means they "screen" primary applications by a certain minimum GPA and/or MCAT - if you fall below that minimum, you get rejected without even a secondary.

gotcha. thanks. dont think this will apply to me thankfully

So for their question about exposure to medicine....

has anyone else taken this to mean something other than exposure to medical FIELD?

Can we please get a mod/admin to change the title of this thread to read "Eastern Virginia Medical School." It's not called Eastern Virginia Medical College anywhere on the website.

Thanks!

Wonder if SMP students need to list a graduate advisor. Any thoughts?

Wonder if SMP students need to list a graduate advisor. Any thoughts?

I would say that you definitely need to list the faculty member in charge of your SMP program and have them send a letter noting your performance (obviously, once you have performance to report later this year haha)

So, if I haven't received this secondary, I should assume I'm screened out, right?

So, if I haven't received this secondary, I should assume I'm screened out, right?
no way...i doubt anyone got it yet. You shouldnt be getting this till sometime in july.

Does anyone have any statistics from their site how many OOS applicants they accepted last year? AAMC claims close to 40%, but I have been finding their statistics for OOS matriculants to be false lately...

Are people just getting a head start on the secondary, or can it actually be submitted and paid for now? I have the same question for other schools that have secondaries available online...

Are people just getting a head start on the secondary, or can it actually be submitted and paid for now? I have the same question for other schools that have secondaries available online...
You cant do anything as EVMS screens, so until you get an email from them (mid july probably) dont pay for anything. If you want you can just start on the essays so when you do get it, you can quickly send it out and be done with it.

I originally had this school on my list since it reported a decent number of OOS accepted. Do you have to be a from a state surrounding VA though, or demonstrate some strong ties to the state?

just got the email...I am instate FWIW...

just got the email...I am instate FWIW...

Oh exciting! I haven't gotten the email yet but I'm OOS so I'd imagine I won't get it today since they screen out of staters

does anyone know the screening process for OOS? Is it just a straight numbers based like 3.5+ 30mcat+? Or is based on the whole app?

For the OOS'ers: I got my secondary today, so check your email in the next few days!

yay i got it too! im oos also. This thing is a beast though:scared:

I got invited to fill out the secondary. Two minutes later, I got an e-mail "strongly recommending" I re-take the MCAT.

I will read between the lines and pass on the secondary.

I got invited to fill out the secondary. Two minutes later, I got an e-mail "strongly recommending" I re-take the MCAT.

haha ouch they aren't very subtle!

Wow. o_O

I'd rather save $100 and a whole lot of stress

sorry to hear that! i have a feeling i should expect a similar email soon! are you OOS?!

i got the same email...lol but whatever they sent me a secondary and I have a free afternoon off from the lab so I will just do it. i did send miss castora an email back saying I will sign up for the next open test date though and asked her what will happen to my file if I do indeed retake the mcat. if it gets put at the bottom of the pile then that sucks...

ugh when is this whole applying early going to start working out for me? lol

i'm oos by the way and yea that oos rate of 40% sounds fishy to me too, anyone know how they screen their applicants?

as expected, the application will be put on hold. ugh

i got the same email...lol but whatever they sent me a secondary and I have a free afternoon off from the lab so I will just do it. i did send miss castora an email back saying I will sign up for the next open test date though and asked her what will happen to my file if I do indeed retake the mcat. if it gets put at the bottom of the pile then that sucks...

ugh when is this whole applying early going to start working out for me? lol

i'm oos by the way and yea that oos rate of 40% sounds fishy to me too, anyone know how they screen their applicants?
They have a post bacc program there with a very strong linkage program...i think that is why the OOS stats are inflated a bit. I dont know if these numbers are counted in the matriculants for that year though.

ALso I never got that retake the mcat email but mine is fairly low...anyone mind posting what your mcat was who got that email...i dont see why i didnt get it.

I am oos and got the secondary email and immediately got a second email saying that my application is on hold until my mcat scores are released (I just retook last week). I kind of want to wait to do the secondary until I get more scores, because obviously they are looking for an improvement and if that did not happen, then I might just be wasting my time and money.

Those of you that got the email encouraging to retake, what was your mcat score...just need to know what to hope for on the retake?

How can you affix 2 photos in the box provided? there is room only for one.

How can you affix 2 photos in the box provided? there is room only for one.

I just paper clipped two photos to the application. I figured that two pictures wouldn't fit in the box anyways.

When you guys print the pre req page (pg 3) does it come out kinda weird? Like on the margins on the right side...there are like 2 letters written down ina column for 1/2 of the page...its really ******ed:confused:. I dont know how to even fix it. Its like its taking my school names and trying to write the outside the margins....

When you guys print the pre req page (pg 3) does it come out kinda weird? Like on the margins on the right side...there are like 2 letters written down ina column for 1/2 of the page...its really ******ed:confused:. I dont know how to even fix it. Its like its taking my school names and trying to write the outside the margins....

Mine is normal.

Mine is normal.
damn...so i tried downloading a new pdf file and its the same...everytime i type in my university name, it also begins to type it in the right hand margin... so every right margin has like 2 letters in it...:(. Im sure ill get rejected once they see it lol

i was able to download the file just fine

are you guys affixing two different photos? i guess i will affix the same pic but one looking to the right and one looking to the left.

are you guys talking about only one thing that you will like best?

are you guys talking about only one thing that you will like best?
I am, theres not a whole lot of space so i decided to focus on one thing in general that I liked most.

I am, theres not a whole lot of space so i decided to focus on one thing in general that I liked most.

do they have to fit in those spaces? because they let you paste more than is visible there, but you can scroll down and see the rest...?

Status
Not open for further replies.