2009-2010 Emory Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

A. If it was not included on your AMCAS application, please list your entire curriculum plan for the 2008-2009 academic year. (If you are not currently in school, you may leave this question blank.)

B. Briefly describe (in 100 words or less) what you are doing if you are no longer a fulltime student.

C. Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) any health-related experience and/or research experience (volunteer or employed). Also, indicate the time and frequency of your involvement. Note: If you have had experience in several health-related areas, list each with a very brief description. Or, you may choose the most meaningful experience and describe it in more detail.

D. Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) your interest in Emory.

LOR Reqs

If you have a Pre-Medical or Pre-Health Committee, a packet of letters or a composite letter from your Committee is all that will be required for your application file. If you do not have a Pre-Medical or Pre-Health Committee, or if you do not wish to use your Committee letters, you will need to request THREE individual letters of recommendation, TWO of which need to be from professors who are familiar with your knowledge in the sciences. There are no exceptions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey fellow Emory Applicants!

So I did some research on secondaries this morning and here is what I found:

Emory's secondary is available via email. There is no screen for applicants. More info can be found here. Last year the secondary was available in early September so I don't expect it to be out any time soon. Post whenever you hear anything. :)

Best of luck this year. :luck:

Last edited:
Ahhhhhh, Kiss Me again. Ahhhhhh!:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Fine. I'm never being helpful, again.

Sorry.jpg

Last year the secondary was available in early September so I don't expect it to be out any time soon.
A friend said their secondary was out pretty late the previous year as well, I'm pretty sure. I think she said they were having problems with their system that year, but maybe they just like to take a little break during late summer?

just got an email from Emory saying

"The 2010 Emory Supplemental Application website should be live by the end of August. As soon as the site is open, we will send you more details by email. All verified applicants will be invited to complete the Emory Supplemental Application.

In the meantime, please be sure to keep your contact information, particularly your email address, updated with AMCAS. Your preferred email address with AMCAS is where we will send the supplemental application link and log-in instructions.

We thank you for your interest in Emory University School of Medicine!"

FYI. Best of luck y'all!

just got an email from Emory saying

"The 2010 Emory Supplemental Application website should be live by the end of August. As soon as the site is open, we will send you more details by email. All verified applicants will be invited to complete the Emory Supplemental Application.

In the meantime, please be sure to keep your contact information, particularly your email address, updated with AMCAS. Your preferred email address with AMCAS is where we will send the supplemental application link and log-in instructions.

We thank you for your interest in Emory University School of Medicine!"

FYI. Best of luck y'all!

Me too, at least we get a a short break with this one. Good luck everyone

Calbear2009,..... taking some of the thunder from bearforce are we? I cant wait to apply here, i have already written the prompt from last year, hopefully it will be the same.

Any fellow Georgians applying with me to Emory?

A friend said their secondary was out pretty late the previous year as well, I'm pretty sure. I think she said they were having problems with their system that year, but maybe they just like to take a little break during late summer?

I don't think they're going to be sending us anything until after they start this year's entering class.

I was told by someone that Emory has a program/rule/admission exemption that allows PAs or RNs to "skip" the first 2 years of medical school upon acceptance. I tried looking this up (and found nothing), and I can't say I've ever heard of any school allowing people to forego their first two years of instruction. Has anyone heard of this happening at Emory (or any other school for that matter)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by someone that Emory has a program/rule/admission exemption that allows PAs or RNs to "skip" the first 2 years of medical school upon acceptance. I tried looking this up (and found nothing), and I can't say I've ever heard of any school allowing people to forego their first two years of instruction. Has anyone heard of this happening at Emory (or any other school for that matter)?
No. That person must have been joking.

Hello fellow applicants :) Just wanted to say good luck to everyone

Lol this thread is so dead...wish the secondary would come out already

Lol this thread is so dead...wish the secondary would come out already

Seriously -- I wonder if the questions are the same as last years (like it seems from the forums, most schools do)..?? I'd rather start working on it now instead of furiously checking the forums for all the other schools I'm hoping to hear something from..

well maybe we can begin working on them afterall:

Here's what the prompts were last year (which were the same as the previous year)

A. If it was not included on your AMCAS application, please list your entire curriculum plan for the 2008-2009 academic year. (If you are not currently in school, you may leave this question blank.)

B. Briefly describe (in 100 words or less) what you are doing if you are no longer a fulltime student.

C. Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) any health-related experience and/or research experience (volunteer or employed). Also, indicate the time and frequency of your involvement. Note: If you have had experience in several health-related areas, list each with a very brief description. Or, you may choose the most meaningful experience and describe it in more detail.

D. Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) your interest in Emory.

They also didn't send them out to the first applicants until Sept 2. Brilliant.

Emory is my last secondary to complete...anxiously waiting to be DONE with these essays

whoo! Finally they are sending out secondaries!

Yeah really...I wonder if they're doing it in order of the apps received?

did they actually send out the secondary?

did they actually send out the secondary?
Indeed, I just received mine around 4:30pm.

Might be sending them out in order of receiving AMCAS bc I was verified the first day

Everyone should be getting their's shortly :)

PS- haven't been able to access it yet bc you HAVE to use IE and I don't have that on my comp atm

Indeed, I just received mine around 4:30pm.

Might be sending them out in order of receiving AMCAS bc I was verified the first day

Everyone should be getting their's shortly :)

PS- haven't been able to access it yet bc you HAVE to use IE and I don't have that on my comp atm

Can you post the essays? Would really appreciate it

Can you post the essays? Would really appreciate it
Sorry, I will try and post the exact prompts later, but I am 99.9% sure they were the same as last year's prompts.

Off the top of my head, they were "plans if not in school," "why emory (100 words)," and "what healthcare expeiences do you have (100 words?)"

you guys know what the average stats are here? I'm thinking of applying but kind of scared if Emory is one of those elite schools.

you guys know what the average stats are here? I'm thinking of applying but kind of scared if Emory is one of those elite schools.

It is an elite school. MSAR says average MCAT is 35 and gpa is 3.8.

I haven't gotten my secondary yet. I'm done with all my others and I think I'm reliant on doing these.

EDIT: those prompts posted a few posts above my other post are the prompts for this year as well, word for word. Too lazy to copy and paste them into this post seeing as how im on the cellular atm :)

Submitted this puppy today. Anyone have an idea when we can expect to hear back?

Ok so there's this question on the secondary:

If it was not included on your AMCAS application, please list your entire curriculum plan for the 2009-2010 academic year. (If you are not currently in school, you may leave this question blank.)

I listed all of my Fall semester classes on AMCAS, but I'm graduating after that so I don't know if I should say that or leave this blank....

Ok so there's this question on the secondary:

If it was not included on your AMCAS application, please list your entire curriculum plan for the 2009-2010 academic year. (If you are not currently in school, you may leave this question blank.)

I listed all of my Fall semester classes on AMCAS, but I'm graduating after that so I don't know if I should say that or leave this blank....

blank since you have already listed everything on AMCAS.

100 words?? that's what they suggest...but can we go over? I wonder if that is a suggested minimum or a maximum. Anyone know?

I just submitted and mine were like 104 and 106. When I looked at the preview thing, all the words were there so I think that going over a little is fine.

I still don't have their secondary...

Me either and my application was submitted to the schools on 6/24 so they must just be sending them out in batches

Still haven't gotten this one either, and just received a recruiting email for students of color urging me to apply. Le sigh. Patience, premad. Patience.

So received and submitted today. I guess the consensus here is that it's okay to go a little over 100 words, because it does say "approximately" (I used 103 for the first one).
One thing I forgot :)eek:) - Emory does take APs for prereqs right? I never saw anywhere that said they didn't, and most places that don't make a big deal out of it.

Finally got this! But, as a Mac user, I feel a slight lack of love from Emory. Time to find a temperamental pc to fill this thing out on...

I'm ready to submit, but when I try, it says that my photo is not uploaded and it won't let me submit. Every time I go back to the photo page and re-save my picture, it just disappears once I navigate away from the page. Did anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions?

I'm ready to submit, but when I try, it says that my photo is not uploaded and it won't let me submit. Every time I go back to the photo page and re-save my picture, it just disappears once I navigate away from the page. Did anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions?
Did you remember to hit upload?

Does anyone know whether economics / business courses count for Emory's humanities/social sciences requirements? Also, do AP credit count for this requirement (I know it counts for the science prereqs)?

Has anyone else not received the secondary invitation yet?

It is an elite school. MSAR says average MCAT is 35 and gpa is 3.8.

Now, I don't know who's right here, but their own secondary says average GPA is 3.75 and average MCAT section score is 11. Either one could be out of date, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.