2009-2010 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? Please note: You have a maximum of 5000 characters (about 1 single-spaced page in Times New Roman font) to complete this essay.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Am I the only kinda excited about the idea of going to georgetown!:). I hope they give me an interview...

i hear theyre kinda selective since they get so many apps every year

Members don't see this ad :)
i hear theyre kinda selective since they get so many apps every year

I dont think its "selective" per say, well not any more then most schools. They are one of the few schools taht gets 10k+ apps, so i think they are really looking for people who want to go there, not people who just randomly added it for no good reason and in their 2ndary write some bs about cura personalis and cant really explain why georgetown excites them or is a good fit. At least thats what one of the med students made it seem like.

i couldn't find anything on the website except for a small mention that the secondary will open in early july.

i couldn't find anything on the website except for a small mention that the secondary will open in early july.

yah they wont send it early it seems, though once agian they have asked the same question for a long time now, so i doubt it will change. Especially given the number of apps they recieve the the philosophy of their dean/school.

Hey Guys. Rising Georgetown M'2 here. I thought you guys might get something out of an article on Georgetown Medical Center that was published in the Georgetown University Magazine a few days ago. It's long, but has a lot of information on the happenings of the medical center. It also mentions this:

"And applications are on the rise for the School of Medicine. In 2007, there were 10,643 applications for 190 slots. For the 2008 incoming class, 11,237 applications competed for 194 slots. And for the 2009 incoming class, applications are already exceeding last year’s."

The number of apps to GUSOM keep rising each year so get your apps in early and take the secondary essay seriously! Good luck. Below is the link to the article on Georgetown's website.

http://explore.georgetown.edu/news/?ID=42253

Hey Guys. Rising Georgetown M'2 here. I thought you guys might get something out of an article on Georgetown Medical Center that was published in the Georgetown University Magazine a few days ago. It's long, but has a lot of information on the happenings of the medical center. It also mentions this:

"And applications are on the rise for the School of Medicine. In 2007, there were 10,643 applications for 190 slots. For the 2008 incoming class, 11,237 applications competed for 194 slots. And for the 2009 incoming class, applications are already exceeding last year’s."

The number of apps to GUSOM keep rising each year so get your apps in early and take the secondary essay seriously! Good luck. Below is the link to the article on Georgetown's website.

http://explore.georgetown.edu/news/?ID=42253

What's with DC schools that drive their applications through the roof?

What's with DC schools that drive their applications through the roof?
serious i dont get it. I understand why GWU is through the rough as they accept some of the lowest stats in the country for non black or PR schols. But Gtown is certainly not in that category and stat wise is pretty solid in the upper mid or so. Guess everyone loves dc?????

serious i dont get it. I understand why GWU is through the rough as they accept some of the lowest stats in the country for non black or PR schols. But Gtown is certainly not in that category and stat wise is pretty solid in the upper mid or so. Guess everyone loves dc?????

yeah this sucks. Georgetown is one of my favorites in the East.

i dont know about now but when I applied (last year), georgetown and gwu had the same exact stats for their accepted applicants

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Georgetown a really religious school? Should I not apply there if I am atheist?

Is Georgetown a really religious school? Should I not apply there if I am atheist?

Ive been told no. Though maybe the 2nd yr med student can tell you better. The only school I know is crazy relegious and you should avoid at all costs if you are not their relegion is loma linda. They basically shove it down your throat so you being atheist should stay far far away.

i dont know about now but when I applied (last year), georgetown and gwu had the same exact stats for their accepted applicants

Gtown has a 3.7 32mcat
gwu has a 3.7 and 30 mcat

Last edited:
Jesuit are very open minded people. They will not teach you their history and make you go to church but they will make sure and expect you that you get a sense of their educational philosophy during your tenure. Their ideals are cura personalis (caring for the whole body) and 'men and women for others'. So they emphasize communitys service and make sure you get a well rounded education.

Jesuit are very open minded people. They will not teach you their history and make you go to church but they will make sure and expect you that you get a sense of their educational philosophy during your tenure. Their ideals are cura personalis (caring for the whole body) and 'men and women for others'. So they emphasize communitys service and make sure you get a well rounded education.

Fits my ideal.:thumbup:

Gtown has a 3.7 32mcat
gwu has a 3.7 and 30 mcat

Plus, I think the actual student stats differ more. Georgetown's matriculated class averages are the same as their accepted averages. I believe GW's matriculated class stats are lower (but I couldn't find any numbers except those mentioned in a 2007 brochure).

Plus, I think the actual student stats differ more. Georgetown's matriculated class averages are the same as their accepted averages. I believe GW's matriculated class stats are lower (but I couldn't find any numbers except those mentioned in a 2007 brochure).
you are probably right, the data in the MSAR is ridiculously inflated for some schools anyways, like case for one. But I dont think theres any real way for us to get the real data for the students enrolled at the school.

Last edited:
I'm excited about Georgetown. Let's get this process started!!!

the lucky 150+ students out of 11,000+ applicants will be indeed very lucky.

I can tell you right now that Georgetown is not that religious...its just an affiliation -- I go to Notre Dame and even there you would not have issues being an atheist: I have a good friend who is one. Just a comparison though, ND people harp on Georgetown for not being Catholic at all.

I agree that the school is definitely not very religious.

But the thing that Jesuits do best are service trips and I think Georgetown is #1 in this regard.

Last edited:
Rising 2nd year here at Georgetown offering answers to your questions and advice. Send me a PM (I usually get back to them quickly) or ask away in this thread. Good luck in the app cycle!

You guys should check out the new Georgetown School of Medicine website. It's very sleek! :D Much easier on the eyes than the old website and easier to navigate.

Hey everyone, I wrote this last year for the Georgetown forum when someone asked a question regarding the fact that Georgetown is a Jesuit school. I hope it helps answer any questions:

I just graduated from Gtown undegrad and was accepted into the med school as well (but going somewhere else). So this reply really goes to everyone wondering about Georgetown being a Jesuit institution. I am Jewish and loved attending Georgetown. Yes it is a Jesuit school, but that has never meant it has been told or implied that I need to be Catholic. The only conflict that I know with Gtown being a Jesuit institutions is that abortions are not preformed on campus. However, the procedure is still taught and explained in the needs of a medical education (with no religious ideologies attached). If your personal faith (whatever that is) differs from the Gtown, thats fine. Really the idea behind being a Jesuits institution is cura personalis or care of the whole person. And if you believe that, Georgetown is a great place.

Quick question here (esp for blackbird and Elijah):

What do you guys mean by saying some MSAR MCAT averages are inflated? I guess I assumed that the averages in the book were the average for a recent matriculating class. Where are the inflated numbers coming from, then, and what do they represent?

Thanks!

Quick question here (esp for blackbird and Elijah):

What do you guys mean by saying some MSAR MCAT averages are inflated? I guess I assumed that the averages in the book were the average for a recent matriculating class. Where are the inflated numbers coming from, then, and what do they represent?

Thanks!

The is how an adcom basically explained it to me. Anyone whos accepted is counted in those numbers, its not matriculant data. So for example, there are quite a number of people (even on SDN) who have say a 4.0 and 36+ MCAT. If this person is accepted at 8 different schools, hes counted in the GPA and MCAT data for all 8 schools hes accepted to in the MSAR. Therefore the students who are academic robots with sick stats are inflating all stats in all schools for the MSAR purposes. So for basically all schools you can assume that the data is actually lower as its counting non-matriculants, not to mention the people who come in off the waitlist at the end of the year are not calculated into the data. Another example is with case western, the MSAR shows they did not accept anyone with a less then 32 mcat. But the dean told me herself that is NOT true and they have and will accept people with <32mcat.

Last edited:
^Gotcha, that makes complete sense now. Thanks!

anyone received a secondary yet? I haven't.

just got the email for the secondary!

here's what the opening page says--seems to me like they're trying to discourage secondary applications:

"Dear caniac:

Your interest in Georgetown University School of Medicine is appreciated.

Our Secondary Application information is released to all applicants for whom our office has received a verified AMCAS Application to inform them of our general review criteria and admissions process. Your application has not been reviewed at this time. We ask that you consider the following information before submitting the Secondary Application and non-refundable application fee.

The Committee on Admissions carefully reviews all completed applications. At the same time, it must establish academic criteria to reduce the volume of seriously considered applications to a manageable number. The following information is provided to help you judge your competitiveness.

Those invited for interview generally present a mean science Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.6 and mean Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores of 10 for each subtest. Those considered competitive after interview have roughly the same academic credentials, stronger recommendations, and a more positive interview evaluation than those rejected after interview. Those accepted generally present a slightly higher mean science GPA and mean MCAT.

For the 2008 entering class, 11,237 applicants applied and 1,158 were interviewed. The applicants who enrolled had the following characteristics: mean science GPA, 3.66; mean MCAT, verbal 10.12, physical 10.75, biological 11.01; undergraduate major, 52 percent in the biological sciences, 16 percent in the physical sciences, 9 percent in social sciences, 23 percent in various humanities and other majors; gender, 48 percent women, 52 percent men.

Please review both (a) the 2010 Guide to Application and (b) the Technical Standards for Admissions & Graduation prior to completing our Secondary Application.

Most of our students need credit-based educational loans from private lenders or institutional loans. It is Georgetown's obligation to carefully manage these resources and to protect the University's access to all sources of support by maintaining an acceptable default rate. This protects both current and future borrowers. For this reason, Georgetown University School of Medicine requires all accepted students to submit a current credit report as a prerequisite for matriculation. Accepted students who do not meet established criteria with regard to their credit record (described in the Policies and Procedures) will be counseled, may not be eligible for Georgetown institutional aid, and, under some circumstances, may be required to defer their matriculation for one year to improve their credit rating." "

Question:
Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? Please note: You have a maximum of 5000 characters (about 1 single-spaced page in Times New Roman font) to complete this essay.)

yay i got it too!!:)

this is like my #1 OOS choice...too bad my app will get lost in 13000 others haha...I love their secondary set up though...creighton uses the same and i think mcw did too? Either way its so much easier then all the other stupid ones like BU-_-...all schools should use it :)

Also i dont think they are trying to discourage secondaries as much as probably 35% of all medical school applicants apply here. I think they just want to let people know its not some random safety school like people seem to think it is? It seems like every applicant will throw on GWU, gtown, and drexel for funsies ;)

Is anyone else having problems with the link? it keeps booting me to a "find schools" website. And if anyone is kind enough to paste the link in here it would be awesome, thanks.

me too!

i find it amusing that in the email, they say that if the link doesn't appear to work, copy and paste it into the browser, and they recommend using firefox. meanwhile, the login screen says the secondary site is designed for use with explorer :laugh:

Is anyone else having problems with the link? it keeps booting me to a "find schools" website. And if anyone is kind enough to paste the link in here it would be awesome, thanks.
Did u copy and paste the link? Mine didnt work until i did that.

NVM, I got it working lol.

that's so weird... I got a different email that referenced the class of 2013:

EDIT: oh haha what was posted above was on the main page, not a different email.... my bad :D

I got the same one as you FML

I had the smae thing fml i dont think its a big deal. With 13000 (probably more this year) apps to send out there are bound to be mixups. How are 2ndaries coming along for you? I almost regret a bit doing what we did ahha...this **** is killing me. :p I already decided to not fill out my 1st one :(...like 15/44 done with one rejection already ahah

Anyone else having a problem putting in the payment? It keeps on declining me....there isn't anything wrong with my card or anything. :(

Anyone else having a problem putting in the payment? It keeps on declining me....there isn't anything wrong with my card or anything. :(

It keeps declining mine as well. Both of my cards were good, but no luck.

no way, tell me it's a joke.
most expensive in the country...in fact im noticing the schools that get a crapload of apps tend to have really high fees...maybe they want to discourage people ahah...

most expensive in the country...in fact im noticing the schools that get a crapload of apps tend to have really high fees...maybe they want to discourage people ahah...

GW- 125
AECOM- 120
gtown-130.

Ridiculous.:laugh:

I might as well just start flushing $20 bills down the toilet.

I might as well just start flushing $20 bills down the toilet.

wow what a good idea! It would take much less time to do it that way than to fill out the secondary applications:)

grrr the wording on this secondary makes me a bit worried.. i have a 3.7+ with more than 10 in PS and BS but my VR is wayy below 10! soooo is 130$ gonna be a waste of money here? do you think there is a cut off?!

The Committee on Admissions carefully reviews all completed applications. At the same time, it must establish academic criteria to reduce the volume of seriously considered applications to a manageable number. The following information is provided to help you judge your competitiveness.

Those invited for interview generally present a mean science Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.6 and mean Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores of 10 for each subtest. Those considered competitive after interview have roughly the same academic credentials, stronger recommendations, and a more positive interview evaluation than those rejected after interview. Those accepted generally present a slightly higher mean science GPA and mean MCAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.