2009-2010 Loma Linda Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University (LLU) School of Medicine. (750 characters max)

What makes LLUSOM particularly attractive to you? 750 chars

What traits make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSOM? (750 characters max)

Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution. The curriculum integrates ethical and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services are part of this program. How would this relate to your personal educational and career goals? (750 characters max)

As a Seventh-day Adventist institution, LLU has lifestyle expectations which include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms while enrolled. During the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which ones? (250 characters max)

Describe your involvement with your religious group (750 characters max)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll be the first to post here, that I'm getting ready to submit my application with the hopes of an acceptance to Loma Linda!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why yes I am! I'm just getting ready to finish up my last year at Andrews. :)

Are your chances alot lower if you are conservative christian but not a SDA...also how, can you give examples of just how conservative Loma Linda is?

Are your chances alot lower if you are conservative christian but not a SDA...also how, can you give examples of just how conservative Loma Linda is?

(5)As a Seventh-day Adventist institution, LLU has lifestyle expectations which include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms while enrolled. During the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which ones? (250 characters max)

does that work for u?? If not, you have to attend weekly chapel, worship on sat, observation of the sabbath, etc etc....oh and abstinance:scared:

do they ask you about your religion?

yes they basically do. Look at their secondary and you will better understand what you are getting yourself into by applying here

Last edited:
i think you can have any religion and still abide by their rules! im still keeping my fingers crossed.. their verbal range is the lowest in Cali :xf:

i think you can have any religion and still abide by their rules! im still keeping my fingers crossed.. their verbal range is the lowest in Cali :xf:
im sure you can. They give obvious prefernce to SDA but they do state that they take all kinds...im nota student there so i dont know, but i somehow tend to doubt that anyone who doesnt strictly believe in their mission (and shown how devout they are in their activites/church involvement) would be accepted there. Ive done no church activities since i was young so i just chose not to apply here, i doubt they would like me:(

Hey everyone...
We just finished our first year here at LLU. I thought I take some time and let you guys know a little bit of how LLU medical school was.
First of all, there are many questions of how strict is LLU and if they will accept non-SDA. Yes, they do accept plenty of non-SDA Christians. There are even a few non-christians in our class. I would say about 40% of our class is non-SDA. The main thing LLU looks for when accepting students are those who are interested in the same values and principles of medicine as Loma Linda. Of course, LLU gives preference to SDA students since it is an SDA institution.
On the secondary application, LLU asks many questions about religion and has the students sign an agreement that says they will not drink, smoke, etc.
LLU does not go looking to make sure everyone keeps his or her promise. As a matter of fact, LLU does not even interfere with your personal life. There is a required chapel every wednesday. You are given few skips, and you don't have to go to chapel during test weeks. This really does not affect your studying because the chapel on wednesdays is during a time when you would otherwise be having lectures.
The schools and libraries are closed from Friday evening to Saturday evening. During the sabbath, most SDA spend time going to church and relaxing. No one is forced to observe the sabbath. No one is forced to attend church on saturday. The only irritation would be that the labs and libraries are closed during the sabbath.
Many people also wonder about the food LLU serves. LLU encourages vegetarian diet, but it does not force anyone to follow it. I would say majority of my class was non-vegetarian. The hospital cafeteria only serves vegetarian food, but there are plenty places outside the hospital where you can get all the meat you want. And No, you will not get in trouble for eating meat. Most SDA are not even vegetarian.
Caffeine is allowed in and out of class. If you want to drink caffeine to stay awake during your exams, then by all means go for it. We have students and professors who come in with coffee or energy drinks to class.
One way LLU differs from other medical schools is the atmosphere. Before each class and each exam, someone gives a prayer. Unlike other schools, LLU is not cut-throat. Medical students here share how they study and information that helped them to the whole class via email. In a stressful place like medical school, knowing my classmates are praying for me and are willing to help me was a big boost in my morale.
I'll add more later. If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them the best I can.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Brick Walls :)

im not christian but i wold love to get into loma linda!!

Hey everyone...
We just finished our first year here at LLU. I thought I take some time and let you guys know a little bit of how LLU medical school was.
First of all, there are many questions of how strict is LLU and if they will accept non-SDA. Yes, they do accept plenty of non-SDA Christians. There are even a few non-christians in our class. I would say about 40% of our class is non-SDA. The main thing LLU looks for when accepting students are those who are interested in the same values and principles of medicine as Loma Linda. Of course, LLU gives preference to SDA students since it is an SDA institution.
On the secondary application, LLU asks many questions about religion and has the students sign an agreement that says they will not drink, smoke, etc.
LLU does not go looking to make sure everyone keeps his or her promise. As a matter of fact, LLU does not even interfere with your personal life. There is a required chapel every wednesday. You are given few skips, and you don't have to go to chapel during test weeks. This really does not affect your studying because the chapel on wednesdays is during a time when you would otherwise be having lectures.
The schools and libraries are closed from Friday evening to Saturday evening. During the sabbath, most SDA spend time going to church and relaxing. No one is forced to observe the sabbath. No one is forced to attend church on saturday. The only irritation would be that the labs and libraries are closed during the sabbath.
Many people also wonder about the food LLU serves. LLU encourages vegetarian diet, but it does not force anyone to follow it. I would say majority of my class was non-vegetarian. The hospital cafeteria only serves vegetarian food, but there are plenty places outside the hospital where you can get all the meat you want. And No, you will not get in trouble for eating meat. Most SDA are not even vegetarian.
Caffeine is allowed in and out of class. If you want to drink caffeine to stay awake during your exams, then by all means go for it. We have students and professors who come in with coffee or energy drinks to class.
One way LLU differs from other medical schools is the atmosphere. Before each class and each exam, someone gives a prayer. Unlike other schools, LLU is not cut-throat. Medical students here share how they study and information that helped them to the whole class via email. In a stressful place like medical school, knowing my classmates are praying for me and are willing to help me was a big boost in my morale.
I'll add more later. If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them the best I can.

Thanks, Brick Walls! I'm applying to LLU this year and your post answered many of the lifestyle questions I've had about that school, especially the 'coffee' question! :D

One of the reasons that I want to go to LLU (other than I think it would be awesome to be in a Christian/SDA school) is I've heard that they have a strong emphasis on preventative care, moreso than most schools. Is that true? Also, do you know what their philosophy is on international medicine? Thanks!

Thanks, Brick Walls! I'm applying to LLU this year and your post answered many of the lifestyle questions I've had about that school, especially the 'coffee' question! :D

One of the reasons that I want to go to LLU (other than I think it would be awesome to be in a Christian/SDA school) is I've heard that they have a strong emphasis on preventative care, moreso than most schools. Is that true? Also, do you know what their philosophy is on international medicine? Thanks!

they do have an emphasis on preventative care as well as lifestyle reform and change. loma linda teaches more of a holistic care of a body than most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Loma Linda this year because I think the values of this institution coincide strongly with my own. However, I am from Utah, and I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons), and I hear that applicants from my demographic do not have much success getting into this school. Basically, I am wondering if I am wasting my time applying here because they may consider my religion to be non-Christian, and/or competitive with the religion of the institution. Is this an issue, or should I go through the application process and see what happens?

These questions are for Brick Walls or any other current LLU med student (or anyone who might know the answers for that matter).

1) What exactly does LLU make you sign that you will not take part in? You've already mentioned alcohol, smoking, and drug use; but I've also heard that sexual abstinence among other things are on that list. Is this true? I would really love to attend Loma Linda, but I have a significant other that will be coming to medical school with me (assuming I get accepted somewhere). I'm aware that this is something LLU might not approve of, but is this sort of thing something that will cause them to not accept me? As long as my personal life doesn't affect my ability to be a good med student/physician I honestly don't think it's anyone else's business but my own, however I would really be grateful to learn LLU's stance on this before I apply.

2) Also, I was wondering about the diversity that LLU offers in its student body. Obviously they favor SDA-affiliated applicants, and christians in general. What about sexual orientation, ethnic and racial background, economic background, etc.? I honestly believe that to be an excellent physician you must be able to understand and relate to the very diverse population that the US has to offer. A key way to do this is by exposing students early to diversity amongst their peers. How can LLU offer that diversity and adequately prepare their students to practice medicine if they are so picky about the types of lifestyles that their students have?

Thank you so much in advance for all your help! I really am just trying to get an accurate picture as to what LLU has to offer as far as atmosphere and student life. My family is SDA so LLU is very appealing to me, but I'm not 100% sure it would be a good fit for me since I just don't have this kind of information. God bless!

Maybe I'm over thinking here a bit, but multiple of my previous jobs and activities in college revolved around the meat industry (jobs, conferences, awards). Because of the unique lifestyle of SDA and their food preferences, could I possibly looked down on for these experiences and choices?

Should I still apply to Loma Linda with an extensive background in butchering and meat production?

Maybe I'm over thinking here a bit, but multiple of my previous jobs and activities in college revolved around the meat industry (jobs, conferences, awards). Because of the unique lifestyle of SDA and their food preferences, could I possibly looked down on for these experiences and choices?

Should I still apply to Loma Linda with an extensive background in butchering and meat production?

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I applied to Loma Linda this year because I think the values of this institution coincide strongly with my own. However, I am from Utah, and I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons), and I hear that applicants from my demographic do not have much success getting into this school. Basically, I am wondering if I am wasting my time applying here because they may consider my religion to be non-Christian, and/or competitive with the religion of the institution. Is this an issue, or should I go through the application process and see what happens?

Not an issue. I spoke with Dr. Kaiser, BYU's pre-med advisor, and he told me BYU students have been successful in getting acceptances to the school. I'm applying this year as well. My experience is SDA's and Mormons have a fair amount of respect for each other due to similar beliefs and lifestyles. I don't think it will hurt your application any more than the next non-SDA.

hey guys, sorry if this has been asked...but are the Loma Linda Secondaries out yettt? if they are, could you guys please let me know where exactly! thanks everyone and good luck !

(5)As a Seventh-day Adventist institution, LLU has lifestyle expectations which include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms while enrolled. During the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which ones? (250 characters max)
does that work for u?? If not, you have to attend weekly chapel, worship on sat, observation of the sabbath, etc etc....oh and abstinance:scared:

yes they basically do. Look at their secondary and you will better understand what you are getting yourself into by applying here

Is this a question from the secondary application? If so, why? If we do drink alcohol and do not see the problem with it, should we state that in our response? I am Christian 100% yet I do not see the harm in moderate alcohol consumption. Some docs even say that a glass of wine a day is a health benefit.

I believe that was from last year. I haven't received a secondary from them yet.

Is this a question from the secondary application? If so, why? If we do drink alcohol and do not see the problem with it, should we state that in our response? I am Christian 100% yet I do not see the harm in moderate alcohol consumption. Some docs even say that a glass of wine a day is a health benefit.

If you go to Loma Linda you agree to live by certain standards of the SDA church. This includes abstaining from alcohol, tobacco, drugs, premarital sex, and other things. It's all in the student handbook if you're interested in reading more about it.

Not an issue. I spoke with Dr. Kaiser, BYU's pre-med advisor, and he told me BYU students have been successful in getting acceptances to the school. I'm applying this year as well. My experience is SDA's and Mormons have a fair amount of respect for each other due to similar beliefs and lifestyles. I don't think it will hurt your application any more than the next non-SDA.

Good to know. I guess that it would make sense that they would be quick to accept an LDS person because there is less of an issue with alcohol, pre-marital sex, etc....thanks for responding.

Hey guys,
I'm not SDA or even Christian (I'm actually Muslim). I really like Loma Linda because of their strict adherence to religious values that are very similar to Muslim values. I won't have any problem following their living guidelines since all of those things are prohibited in Islam as well. I was wondering if I have a shot at this school since it shows preference to SDAs and then Christians. I do have an extensive background in Christian education as well since I have gone to a Catholic or a Christian school up until college. If anyone can answer my question, I would really appreciate it.

Hey guys,
I'm not SDA or even Christian (I'm actually Muslim). I really like Loma Linda because of their strict adherence to religious values that are very similar to Muslim values. I won't have any problem following their living guidelines since all of those things are prohibited in Islam as well. I was wondering if I have a shot at this school since it shows preference to SDAs and then Christians. I do have an extensive background in Christian education as well since I have gone to a Catholic or a Christian school up until college. If anyone can answer my question, I would really appreciate it.

Me too, but Jewish instead of Muslim. (And no background in Christian education, just strong religious values similar to the school's)

to those that are attending loma linda: would the school like to know more about us in terms of religious values and such or more about our goals and drives to pursue medicine. i am unsure of what i should emphasize on or include in when i am writing up my secs

hello, wondering if LLU (LOMA LINDA) makes u take a drug test before entering the Dental program.. Anyone know?

Hahahahahah!!! :clap:

so is it better to not be religious or have another religion? i really like Loma Linda, but im not even christian! I dont know if this is gonna really hurt me since the secondary questions are all kinda related to their religion :scared:

I got a secondary email yesterday. anyone else got it?

good luck to us all!!! :luck:

what i don't like about loma linda is there fee waiver policy. even when we qualify for FAP, they still want us to fill out another form which you have to be like below poverty poverty to qualify. i don't feel like forking out $75. *sigh* but i must for the sake of increasing me chances.

do u guys have the same religion? if not how are you dealing with the questions?! :confused:

Hey everyone....
Sorry for not posting anything in awhile. I been reading some of your questions and I will try and answer as much as I can.

One of the concerns was why is LLU very picky about the students they accept and their lifestyles. And how diverse is LLU when it comes to sexuality and ethnicity, and if it is helpful to the medical student.
I tried to answer this in my last post. LLU's main goal is to train medical doctors that integrate faith in their practice. In order for LLU do so, they need to find students who have similar ideologies as LLU. The answers you give on your secondary application is to see if you agree with LLU's vision. LLU is not going to hunt you down and make sure you live up to their standards. The important thing to remember is that if you don't agree with LLU's belief system and vision, then, you probably won't enjoy your time as a medical student there.
LLU is diverse when it comes to ethnicity. LLU has students that come from all over the world. Our medical class consisted of various ethnic groups. Now, the concern over sexuality and LLU's stand on it is something I don't know too much about. I would assume being a conservative Christian institution, LLU would try to encourage lifestyle that is in conjunction with their belief system. Yes, it may be true that sexuality and lifestyle may not dictate how well you do in medical school, but as I said before, LLU's main goal is not to just train medical doctors.

so is it better to not be religious or have another religion? i really like Loma Linda, but im not even christian! I dont know if this is gonna really hurt me since the secondary questions are all kinda related to their religion :scared:

When you are answering these secondary application questions be as honest as possible. LLU is not on a mission to convert you into SDA. What they are looking for is to see if you are willing to respect their beliefs and ideas while attending the university.

to those that are attending loma linda: would the school like to know more about us in terms of religious values and such or more about our goals and drives to pursue medicine. i am unsure of what i should emphasize on or include in when i am writing up my secs

Many people assume because LLU is a religious institution, that they need to talk about God and faith in every line of their application. When you are answering questions, focus on your goals and why you want to become a medical doctor. And explain how faith, if at all, has helped you in the process of getting to where you are now and where you want to be.
If you are truly interested in LLU, then explain how the values of LLU is similar to yours, and why you agree with them.
Hope this helps.

Hey guys,

There muslims, among others, that attend LLU. LLU is not consisted of only SDA or just Christians.
SDA and Christians do make up the vast majority, but LLU is by no means looking only for christians.

:laugh: No. Don't worry. Your previous job in the meat industry will not affect your chances.

P.S. Vegetarianism is only encouraged by LLU. It is by no means a requirement. And being a vegetarian doesn't improve your chances either.

good luck to us all!!! :luck:

what i don't like about loma linda is there fee waiver policy. even when we qualify for FAP, they still want us to fill out another form which you have to be like below poverty poverty to qualify. i don't feel like forking out $75. *sigh* but i must for the sake of increasing me chances.

where is this form? did you call them to get it?

where is this form? did you call them to get it?

you have to call them and ask for it. They said they "rarely" give you fee waivers.

This secondary is asking too many questions. So far it's the longest secondary I've done.

I know non-SDA still get accepted, but is it safe to assume if i'm not christian that I will probably not get accepted?

For those of you that have received your secondary already can you please post the essay prompt and the word/character limit? Thank you in advance!:)

For those of you that have received your secondary already can you please post the essay prompt and the word/character limit? Thank you in advance!:)

It's kind of a long one!!! :hungover: Thankfully, they're short answers!

Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University (LLU) School of Medicine. (750 characters max)

What makes LLUSOM particularly attractive to you? 750 chars

What traits make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSOM? 750 chars

Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution. The curriculum integrates ethical and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services are part of this program. How would this relate to your personal educational and career goals? (750 characters max)

As a Seventh-day Adventist institution, LLU has lifestyle expectations which include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms while enrolled. During the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which ones? (250 characters max)

Describe your involvement with your religious group (750 characters max)

too long if you ask me. but the $75 fee is even worse. :oops:

My secondary is now complete! Does anyone know how long it will take for my status to show that my letters of recommendation have been received? Anyone else complete yet?

is there a limit for the individual LORs? it lets me add as much as i want even though they require 3 =)

My secondary is now complete! Does anyone know how long it will take for my status to show that my letters of recommendation have been received? Anyone else complete yet?

wondering the same thing!! you are probably complete by now right? did it take long for them to upload the letters?!

I'm complete. :D It's weird that I received that email on a Saturday. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.