2009-2010 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Why have you chosen to apply to NYU School of Medicine?
(1500 chars max. Please type, do not copy and paste.)

Where do you see your future medical career?
Academic medicine
Research
Health Care Administration
Private Practice
Public health
Business/Law
Other

Why?

If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.

If you have taken any time off or have graduated, describe what you have done during this time?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
FYI: I visited new york to see some of the schools that I am applying to, and NYU was by far my favorite...very cool med students (good looking girls too haha)...and its in a really cool area/the faculty and staff that I met were really nice

Also, they have student housing on their med school campus that is way cheaper than manhatten should be (not sure but hopeful that other schools do this too).

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck applying guys!!feel free to PM with any questions. I totally fell in love with NYU and cannot wait to start :)

Does NYU have any essays on the secondary? Please post if you have already seen this...

Thanks

has anyone received access to nyu's secondary? I've submitted 9 app already and still no NYU email..

has anyone received access to nyu's secondary? I've submitted 9 app already and still no NYU email..

yeah, i submitted on june 2, and i still have no word from NYU. i'm sure it's fine. today is only july 13.

just got the email, setting up an account now.

essays...

Why have you chosen to apply to NYU School of Medicine?

Where do you see your future medical career?
Academic medical
Research
Health Care Administration
Private Practice
Public health
Business/Law
Other

Why?

If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.

If you have taken any time off or have graduated, describe what you have done during this time?

i wonder what they consider a "fluctuation"...can i talk about my bad freshman year and then upward trend?

i wonder what they consider a "fluctuation"...can i talk about my bad freshman year and then upward trend?

my guess would be an uncharacteristically low set of grades

for example; you have a 3.6+ GPA for 7 semesters and a 3.0 for the 8th. they might ask for an explanation.

for anyone who has heard from them, did they have your LORs. i submitted my primary a while ago (6/28), and still haven't got anything (4.0, 37+)

Members don't see this ad :)
my guess would be an uncharacteristically low set of grades

for example; you have a 3.6+ GPA for 7 semesters and a 3.0 for the 8th. they might ask for an explanation.

what about a 2.8 freshman year and then 3.4+ every year following?

for anyone who has heard from them, did they have your LORs. i submitted my primary a while ago (6/28), and still haven't got anything (4.0, 37+)

nope, my LORs wont be in for another month probably...

what about a 2.8 freshman year and then 3.4+ every year following?

that would work as well. i will be writing one for the fluctuations essay as well (had a bad frosh spring; relatively low grades)

shouldnt YOU be working??

jolt, when did you get verified? just curious. that might help answer peoples questions as to why you got one

jolt, when did you get verified? just curious. that might help answer peoples questions as to why you got one
i was verified 6/8...meaning my app went out on the 23rd (day 1)

I just got one too, I was verified mid June.

Hey, so... does anyone know the difference between "academic medicine" and "research"?
:confused:

Thanks!

nice jackson.

i was verified 7/6 and started receiving secondaries 7/7 so i still got some time =)

Hey, so... does anyone know the difference between "academic medicine" and "research"?
:confused:

Thanks!

i would assume a teaching hospital would be academic medicine...meaning you teach med students, let them follow you around, give lectures in the med school, stuff along those lines.

research is research.

I think academic medicine means teaching and research is just research.

where would emergency medicine fall? academic? i really love EM.

I think academic medicine means teaching and research is just research.

I'm confused about this too. I assumed academic medical meant people who do both research and practice. If this isn't the case, then how would you categorize someone who does that?

Academic medicine is probably something like being an attending in a teaching hospital or pursuing a fellowship. It's basically any non-private practice.

For the essay question about what areas of medicine you're interested in, how much do these schools really expect us to know about our future?? I know I want to practice and specialize, but other than that, I just have a vague idea of what areas I'm interested in (I'm relying on med school to really show me my path). Is it appropriate to talk about the areas I like, but to also say that I really don't know exactly what I want to do yet? I might also be interested in public health, but I'm iffy on that, so0 really I've still got to decide haha

does it really matter if we copy/paste instead of type directly..?

does it really matter if we copy/paste instead of type directly..?

Just to be safe, you could type in notepad.

You might run into formatting issues if you copy from word.

For the essay question about what areas of medicine you're interested in, how much do these schools really expect us to know about our future?? I know I want to practice and specialize, but other than that, I just have a vague idea of what areas I'm interested in (I'm relying on med school to really show me my path). Is it appropriate to talk about the areas I like, but to also say that I really don't know exactly what I want to do yet? I might also be interested in public health, but I'm iffy on that, so0 really I've still got to decide haha

I basically said I wanted to go into private practice because I like the patient aspect of medicine (which eliminates law and health care administration), and then explained that I liked some of the other aspects as well (academic medicine, public health), but right now I felt private practice was where I could best see myself.

I'm sure they know that you're going to change your mind, or at least revise your opinion; they probably just want to see how much you've looked into the future or something.

Okay, maybe I'm just having a moment of stupidity here, but where is the link for NYU's curriculum?! Every time I click "MD Program," it takes me directly to admissions!

as of right now the new curriculum isnt up.. the new curriculum (called C21, curriculum for the 21st century) will be implemented this fall.. with my class.. i can let you guys know how it goes LOL

as of right now the new curriculum isnt up.. the new curriculum (called C21, curriculum for the 21st century) will be implemented this fall.. with my class.. i can let you guys know how it goes LOL

It seems that their website has virtually no useful information for learning about the school itself beyond the usual BS.

Does anyone know if this means I'm complete? When I log in my status now says:

Application in Process - You should hear from our office within 4-6 weeks..

They sent me an email to specifically say that I was complete. It was less than 24 hours after I submitted.

it should say "Application Complete - Under Review"

Hmm... still haven't gotten a secondary here yet.... and I was verified 6/30

anyone else in this same boat?

Verified 7/1, still nothing. I think we just have to wait it out a little bit longer.

The exact same one.

Status
Not open for further replies.