2009-2010 Ohio State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

In your own words, define altruism and provide an example or two where you exhibited altruistic behavior in your past activities. (600 word limit)

Provide a glimpse of your future telling us where you see yourself 10 years after graduation from medical school based on your experiences thus far. (600 word limit)

LOR Reqs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone excited for OSU? I know I am!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
For the secondary where they ask about housing request, does anyone know if most students stay in the university residence halls or just get their own place? I wasn't sure which tab to mark down and wanted to do what majority of other students do there. Thanks!

For the secondary where they ask about housing request, does anyone know if most students stay in the university residence halls or just get their own place? I wasn't sure which tab to mark down and wanted to do what majority of other students do there. Thanks!

Check out the 2008 Ohio State thread. FYI, I chose University Housing. I don't want to do apartment hunting if I end up coming here.

They say responses for both questions should be 600 words or less. I feel like that's so much. Are you guys using the full 600 words?

They say responses for both questions should be 600 words or less. I feel like that's so much. Are you guys using the full 600 words?

Mine are very short.

How are you guys doing updates (such as summer EC updates) to OSU? just sending it to their address? cause they do not seem to have a section for that.

Also, it seems like we can be complete at OSU without the LORs? it says we just need to have that in before the interview

How are you guys doing updates (such as summer EC updates) to OSU? just sending it to their address? cause they do not seem to have a section for that.

Also, it seems like we can be complete at OSU without the LORs? it says we just need to have that in before the interview

I wouldn't send an update until after interview. They are already busy reading primary, secondary, LORs, etc beforehand.

Where do they list their LOR requirements? It's not on their secondary application.:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just reviewing my app from OSU from the last two years and I noticed that the first year I applied I didn't answer the second question, what will you be doing in 10 years. I just left it blank!!! But the crazy thing is they gave me an interview that year!!!

Now I am wondering if I should answer it this time... Maybe it is lucky to leave it blank haha :laugh:

I have to be more careful. Maybe that is why they didn't let me in :(

How lond did it take everyone to get their AMCAS verified? I want to get a head start on these secondaries!

I was just reviewing my app from OSU from the last two years and I noticed that the first year I applied I didn't answer the second question, what will you be doing in 10 years. I just left it blank!!! But the crazy thing is they gave me an interview that year!!!

Now I am wondering if I should answer it this time... Maybe it is lucky to leave it blank haha :laugh:

I have to be more careful. Maybe that is why they didn't let me in :(

Answer them.

How quickly is everyone trying to get these secondaries out? Would waiting a week or two be a mistake?

Can anyone access the application status page using the AMCAS ID and their password combination?

One week should be fine. This secondary isn't too bad.

You have to create a user account when you first log on.

I already did because that's how I filled out the secondary. But for the application status, it's a totally different password combination according to the website. :confused:

I already did because that's how I filled out the secondary. But for the application status, it's a totally different password combination according to the website. :confused:

Really? I could log in to both with my username and password.

Hi for the altruism essay, can we use personal examples with friends and family or does it have to be an EC like activity? Thx

That altruism essay was a tough one to write.

Did you get an interview invite here last cycle, amph? I'm wondering how friendly this place is to OOS students.

Yep I interviewed there in October, it is a great place. I was deferred, but I never really followed up with them in terms of updates or anything like that.

Amph, how long were your essays? 600 words seems so long!

Also, what are you guys including in the "where you see yourself 10 years after graduating medical school" essay? I wrote two paragraphs about my professional goals, the type of medicine I want to work in, etc, but that's still only 300ish words. Do you think they only want the medicine-related stuff, or other life goals as well...family, etc?

Amph, how long were your essays? 600 words seems so long!

Also, what are you guys including in the "where you see yourself 10 years after graduating medical school" essay? I wrote two paragraphs about my professional goals, the type of medicine I want to work in, etc, but that's still only 300ish words. Do you think they only want the medicine-related stuff, or other life goals as well...family, etc?

My responses were more or less 300 words, too. I don't think you should try to fill in all 600 words, if you can't. You don't want to sound repetitive.

Yeah, good point. 300ish words is still pretty long. :) I will probably leave it at that, unless some great inspiration comes to me....

I can't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure they were in the neighborhood of 450-500 words.

Damn...mine was only like 150 words. I really don't know where I'll be in ~15 years.

Yikes I filled in all 600 words. They were each 600 on the dot... I guess I am long winded. I put a decent amount about family in the 10 years one, hopefully that is ok, but really in 15 years, I do plan on being pretty family oriented, so I went for the truth.

have any of you received the email that links to the status page after submitting?

It says I haven't submitted yet... this is so strange :(

I put so much time into this app so that it could be marked as completed today...

I just submitted! That feels good....my first secondary officially submitted. One down, approximately one million to go, eh? :)

I just submitted! That feels good....my first secondary officially submitted. One down, approximately one million to go, eh? :)

Awesome! :thumbup: I need to get mine in tonight...

Just got my email this morning. And only one day after I got Michigan's too. I guess the rivalry is strong even in this department, lol.

Just got my email this morning. And only one day after I got Michigan's too. I guess the rivalry is strong even in this department, lol.

OSU came before UM for me so OSU seems to be ahead in my mind hehe

How forthcoming are y'all being for the question that asks to list schools to which you've previously applied? Are you just choosing theirs + 5 more at random?

Hi everyone! I'm applying to OSU but I'm OOS. We'll see how it goes. It seems like they take a lot of OOS people.

Status
Not open for further replies.