2009-2010 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

1. Explain the negative aspects of medicine that you considered in making this career decision. (50 word limit)

2. Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (50 word limit)

3. Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (50 word limit)

LOR Reqs

If your college or university has a Pre-Health Committee or Pre-Health Office that submits recommendation letter(s), you are required to use their service. If you do not use their service, you must include an explanation (please title your explanation "Reasons for not using the Pre-Health Committee").
If your college or university does not have a Pre-Health Committee or Pre-Health Office, you are required to submit a minimum of four recommendation letters (maximum of six) using the guidelines below:

1. At least two letters from faculty in science disciplines.
  2. At least one letter from faculty in a non-science discipline.
  3. At least one remaining letter from college faculty, community leader, employer, or others in positions of responsibility that know the applicant well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one with love for hershey! :p. No one has even posted here yet :(

i live 15 minutes from hershey and was very reluctant to apply for this reason...i did tho just kus i have a good chance of getting in (cant say that at many of my schools)

Members don't see this ad :)
i live 15 minutes from hershey and was very reluctant to apply for this reason...i did tho just kus i have a good chance of getting in (cant say that at many of my schools)
do you just not like the area? Or is it more you are just looking for a change?

I wonder if they give us Hershey chocolates if we go there.:p

do you just not like the area? Or is it more you are just looking for a change?

I just don't want to have a reason to live with my parents, haha. You'd like the are because Harrisburg has a great nightlife, and hershey is a really pretty suburban/rural area...but I've lived in central PA my whole life...I want to go somewhere that is driving distance (unlike my college) but not quite walking distance (I exaggerate).

I like Penn State and I'm a PA resident, but I haven't taken a behavioral science. Can I apply and take one if accepted or is it a waste of an application?

I like Penn State and I'm a PA resident, but I haven't taken a behavioral science. Can I apply and take one if accepted or is it a waste of an application?
as long as you indicate you are finishing the reqs that each school has you can apply w/o having finished them. They just have to be done before matriculation.

so is it true Penn State REQUIRES a non science faculty rec :(

Only if you don't have a committee letter. The usually "compelling reason" letter for not having one probably applies, but I'm sure that's frowned on.

Elijah,
Think it hurts your chances at all to not have it? I'm willing to take a night psych class this summer but would much rather wait and take it if I'm accepted.

Only if you don't have a committee letter. The usually "compelling reason" letter for not having one probably applies, but I'm sure that's frowned on.

Elijah,
Think it hurts your chances at all to not have it? I'm willing to take a night psych class this summer but would much rather wait and take it if I'm accepted.

No as long as you are going to take it and have indicated you will via a future class on the primary app (or otherwise), it wont be a problem. Think of it this way, many people apply as juniors, and often they havnt finished all the pre med reqs or other humanity reqs, but they are still accepted. As long as you are going to finish the class before matriculation its all good.

Yes, as long as they are completed before matriculation, it's fine.

Would taking a class on Leadership Theory fulfill the behavioral science requirement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how strict they are about LORs? They require LORs from each college from which applicants have received a degree...I got an AA from a community college several years ago and am not sure if I need to get a letter...not that I'd know who to get a letter from anyway.

Does anyone know how strict they are about LORs? They require LORs from each college from which applicants have received a degree...I got an AA from a community college several years ago and am not sure if I need to get a letter...not that I'd know who to get a letter from anyway.

I would call them or send them an e-mail.

Does anyone know if they send out secondaries to everyone, or a limited number of applicants?

Also, I was just curious, why do they have such a low MCAT score average (29)?

Does anyone know if they send out secondaries to everyone, or a limited number of applicants?

I don't know. But I'm not complaining.:D

The Holy Bible of Medical Schools says they send secondaries to all applicants. You should buy one of these; a relaxing, but stressful read; it has all the rules and regulations needed for living life as a medical school applicant; connects you to the physician inside you and fills your heart with the fear of the All Mighty Medical Schools.

Am I the only one with love for hershey! :p. No one has even posted here yet :(

Holy **** man. Every thread I click on you're applying too. How many schools are you applying too?

Elijah is like the kid from the Lebron and Kobe puppet commercial. Dude is annoying as ****.
You don't have to post on every freaking thread about every topic. I'm applying to 8 schools....you've posted on each thread.
take a rest..go outside.

Oh..and Blue Elmo too. Are they the same people?

Elijah is like the kid from the Lebron and Kobe puppet commercial. Dude is annoying as ****.
You don't have to post on every freaking thread about every topic. I'm applying to 8 schools....you've posted on each thread.
take a rest..go outside.
Because posting in the threads of schools you are applying to is so annoying. They are both applying to a lot of schools, and will therefore have questions and answers about a lot of schools, and therefore post in a lot of threads about a lot of schools.

Yes, one account was not enough for him. JK:laugh:
me and blue are the same...i actually have 5 different accounts of which all are automated to give me an email each and everytime i get a response or someone quotes me. I get 3 emails to 4 different accounts when someone replies in a school response thread:rolleyes:...

Seriously though, i spent what 30 mins of my day looking at school threads so that makes me annoying? I guess i should just stop posting when people ask questions too...that way id be less annoying:)

Last edited:
I guess it's a crime to post in the threads of schools you are applying to.:(

blue and elijah: just bc you're applying to so many school does not mean that you can reply to all the threads. I for one only reply to a select few, keeping in mind that I would not want to offend anybody with the shear number of schools I'm applying to

:smuggrin: j/k

wow. seriously, who do some people think they are to tell others where and when they should post? Pardon me, but I thought SDN was for everyone to ask questions and learn as much as one can about this wretched process... sheesh questions

I guess it's a crime to post in the threads of schools you are applying to.:(
In my home state, you get stoned for that sort of thing.

Nah, Blue and Elijah seem like pretty legit dudes. They're just in the same boat as me and applying broadly. To be honest, it's nice to seem some of the same faces in all these different threads.

blue and elijah: just bc you're applying to so many school does not mean that you can reply to all the threads. I for one only reply to a select few, keeping in mind that I would not want to offend anybody with the shear number of schools I'm applying to

:smuggrin: j/k

wow. seriously, who do some people think they are to tell others where and when they should post? Pardon me, but I thought SDN was for everyone to ask questions and learn as much as one can about this wretched process... sheesh questions

Chill; Focus your energy on more important things, people.

anyone know if penn state prefers in state residents or not? i am using an ols msar and it says nothing about in state preference....

according to school selector, 51% oos vs 45% instate...doesn't seem like they do.

wow that oos acceptance is making me very happy!! wish penn state would send secs soon!!!

Anyone know when this secondary is supposed to come out?
Last year's secondary thread started with the topics on 7/22. I'm guessing you'll find out next week if you've been verified.

Last year's secondary thread started with the topics on 7/22. I'm guessing you'll find out next week if you've been verified.

Last year I received the secondary on July 22nd. Two days before my AMCAS app was even verified.

Penn Staaaaaaate! Where are yoooooooooooou?!

:poke:

i'm hoping the prompt is the same as last year, cuz i finished them last night.

50 words responses! was pretty interesting.
50 words was so incredibly sweet i loved it. I wish all prompts were like that lol. Im fairly sure that for the past 2 years they have been the same prompts, so hopefully like most schoosl its the same this year :)

When is this one supposed to come out? Do they screen?

50 words was so incredibly sweet i loved it. I wish all prompts were like that lol. Im fairly sure that for the past 2 years they have been the same prompts, so hopefully like most schoosl its the same this year :)
These school's with 1-2 pages per essay drive me nuts!!! 50 words is plenty to get the main idea across and move on. The ones with 1000 characters (~150 words) aren't too bad, but any more than that and I want to shoot myself. I've been trying my best to not try and use all of the space and get my point across.

I guess it's not too bad when you apply to 5 schools, but when you have over 25 like me, ugh!

These school's with 1-2 pages per essay drive me nuts!!! 50 words is plenty to get the main idea across and move on. The ones with 1000 characters (~150 words) aren't too bad, but any more than that and I want to shoot myself. I've been trying my best to not try and use all of the space and get my point across.

I guess it's not too bad when you apply to 5 schools, but when you have over 25 like me, ugh!

i have 32 and i already want to shoot myself! i got rid of penn state last min but maybe i should have applied =/

Status
Not open for further replies.