2009-2010 Rush Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are the questions that require or request a written response:

1. Describe two examples of working with people, one of which highlights your leadership skills and one which highlights your problem-solving abilities. (1000 characters max)

2. Describe 1-2 experiences you have had in the last 3 years working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and what you have gained from these experiences. (1000 characters max)

3. Describe one crisis/problem you worked through yourself, or helped someone else work through in the last 3 years. (1000 characters max)

4. Describe the path you took to prepare, both academically and personally, for a career in medicine. (1000 characters max)

8. Indicate whether you have skills/accomplishments/honors in any of the following areas:
Select all that apply
For all boxes checked, briefly describe:
Be Specific: (250 characters max)

9. Indicate your planned activities between July 2009 and September 2010. (1000 characters max)

3. Separate from the previous 2 questions (the previous 2 questions asked about employment and volunteer experience in health care field), have you had any experiences in which you
were responsible for the care of others?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am but their secondary isnt available until like august. And its a BEAST:p. It took me so long to fill it out based on last years prompts...and they are so long/hard to answer...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am but their secondary isnt available until like august. And its a BEAST:p. It took me so long to fill it out based on last years prompts...and they are so long/hard to answer...

Yeah...I really like the "Describe the path you took to prepare both academically and personally, for a career in medicine." I'll have to get pretty creative on rewording my personal statement in 1000 characters. :bullcrap:

Would love to live in the ghetto.. hope I get an interview here!

Isn't Rush kinda located in ghetto Chicago?

Well, it's in the Illinois Medical District, along with UIC and lots of other stuff. I would argue that Loyola is equally 'ghetto' being in Maywood. I think that lots of med school campuses are located in a more gritty and less picturesque area than their main campuses. (again, Loyola is one example.) At least Rush and UIC are next to the El, so you can live pretty much anywhere in the city and get there.

Anyway, I am planning to apply to Rush. I'm also glad to hear the secondary doesn't become available til later . . . since I am not yet verified and don't have MCAT scores yet! :(

Trust me, medical district is NOT a terrible area in Chicago. It's really not that far from a lot of things people go to Chicago for. U of C, however, is in a more dangerous part of town. Rush + UIC + Northwestern are definitely not.

Loyola is practically in a suburb and isn't dangerous. It's very close to Brookfield Zoo for those familiar. It is NOT by the city so don't get the impression that you can just take a "quick" ride into the city, unless it's Sunday when there's no traffic, lol It's definitely nice to have the space but still be relatively close to the city.

Rosalind Franklin is in a similar situation as Loyola but a little further out. Decent neighborhood but "North Chicago" is a separate town and is way north of downtown, which may or may not be more attractive to you.

Hope this insight from a local helps!

Trust me, medical district is NOT a terrible area in Chicago. It's really not that far from a lot of things people go to Chicago for. U of C, however, is in a more dangerous part of town. Rush + UIC + Northwestern are definitely not.

Loyola is practically in a suburb and isn't dangerous. It's very close to Brookfield Zoo for those familiar. It is NOT by the city so don't get the impression that you can just take a "quick" ride into the city, unless it's Sunday when there's no traffic, lol It's definitely nice to have the space but still be relatively close to the city.

Rosalind Franklin is in a similar situation as Loyola but a little further out. Decent neighborhood but "North Chicago" is a separate town and is way north of downtown, which may or may not be more attractive to you.

Loyola is in Maywood! no students live there, it is NOT a nice town. there are enough surrounding decent towns to live in, but it's not exactly like the world's greatest area or anything. loyola gets plenty of GSW's from Maywood. also it's pretty close to the far west side of chicago which isnt great either.

not to hate on Loyola or anything. But calling it a suburb makes it sound nicer than it is.

Ok so I am from Illinois but not very familiar with chicago. But isn't northwestern and loyola both around north michigan ave... so then how is loyola in suburb?

Also I visited U of C in the spring and man the area that you drive through to get to the campus is to say the least, scary. It almost seemed like I was back in 60's or something. Those local roads were also crappy. But I would also add that the campus is really beautiful and loved it but just not so much the surrounding area.

Ok so I am from Illinois but not very familiar with chicago. But isn't northwestern and loyola both around north michigan ave... so then how is loyola in suburb?

Also I visited U of C in the spring and man the area that you drive through to get to the campus is to say the least, scary. It almost seemed like I was back in 60's or something. Those local roads were also crappy. But I would also add that the campus is really beautiful and loved it but just not so much the surrounding area.

Loyola medical school is located in Maywood - west of Chicago, about 30min from downtown without traffic. I believe the Loyola Business and Law schools are located at the "Water Tower Campus," which is what you are thinking of.

Roads and public transpo might improve is Chicago gets the Olympic bid? :xf:

Loyola medical school is located in Maywood - west of Chicago, about 30min from downtown without traffic. I believe the Loyola Business and Law schools are located at the "Water Tower Campus," which is what you are thinking of.

ok ya thats what I was talking about.. Ok thanks for clearing that up.

Haha.. I seriously hope so.

Ok... does anyone know the most-likely prompts for Rush.. may be from last year?..

Aka: they'll be ready for the olympics and until then we'll be driving through even worse construction than already exists. weee:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from Rush inviting me to fill out a secondary that will be available August 1. They are available to all who submitted a primary to Rush, so lets avoid freak-outs if you didn't get the email, please, for my sanity.

Just got an email from Rush inviting me to fill out a secondary that will be available August 1. They are available to all who submitted a primary to Rush, so lets avoid freak-outs if you didn't get the email, please, for my sanity.
:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:OMG!!!!!! did they screen me then already!!!!:smuggrin: I hope they dont change the prompts, this thing is a massive beast and i dont want to write more :(

hmph. Funny story though is I was in my lab and complained about having to do 3 secondaries tonight. I finished my rant and looked at my inbox to see an email from Rush. I put my head down as soon as I saw it knowing Rush was a terrible secondary. Thank God for it not opening until Aug 1.

I put my head down as soon as I saw it knowing Rush was a terrible secondary.

sigh...This and KU had the hardest secondaries to fill out last year.

its not the questions themselves but the sheer volume of questions. I saw that it was the same as last year and I just wanted to cry

Holy ****. You guys were not kidding that this one sucks.

I'm going to procrastinate so much on this one.

anyone know if the qs will happen to be the same this year? I kind of want to finish it now but, seriously if i do all of this and they change the prompts....im going to :boom:

OMG I just checked the questions for Rush's secondary. IT IS A BEAST!!!

just got their email

edit: oh god just died a little inside when i saw the questions

OMG I just checked the questions for Rush's secondary. IT IS A BEAST!!!

I don't think I'm going to be submitting this secondary, unless they changed it from last year.

I just got their email inviting me to fill out their secondary, which will be available Aug. 1. They say they do a preliminary screening, eliminating those with a GPA below 2.76, and any MCAT section scores below an 8.

They allow you to see a sample secondary application, and from what I see...

This is the motherload.

I just got their email inviting me to fill out their secondary, which will be available Aug. 1. They say they do a preliminary screening, eliminating those with a GPA below 2.76, and any MCAT section scores below an 8.

They allow you to see a sample secondary application, and from what I see...

This is the motherload.
i didnt find a sample 2ndary was i missing something? Ithought they meant after aug 1st

i didnt find a sample 2ndary was i missing something? Ithought they meant after aug 1st

when you go to the page that says the secondary isn't open yet, i think there is a link off to the left side for the sample

Long secondaries will make the eventual rejections much harder to swallow IMO.

does someone mind posting the prompts please?? thanks.

does someone mind posting the prompts please?? thanks.
no one knows until aug1st. we are basing this off last years prompts, in all likelyhood they will probably be the same id assume as they have been for 2 years now.

no one knows until aug1st. we are basing this off last years prompts, in all likelyhood they will probably be the same id assume as they have been for 2 years now.

Ok... then post last year's prompts or give a site where the sample is located.. either one plz

The prompts are the same. Even though the application itself doesn't open until Aug 1st, they tell you to look at the sample and work on it from that until you're ready since you have a month from the time you open the application to submit it.

Ok... then post last year's prompts or give a site where the sample is located.. either one plz
Either search for last year's school specific thread (its not difficult to find) or go on Rush's website and you can find the link to the secondary there.

no. You can go fill out their secondary without even getting an email telling you to.
where exactly do you go to do this? i looked on the website and i couldnt find anything directing me to it

I think this one's definitely worse than Loyola's.

So they screen AFTER secondaries? So if i got an 8 in a section one time and then a 6 in the same section another time, does that mean I will get screened out? :( :(

So they screen AFTER secondaries? So if i got an 8 in a section one time and then a 6 in the same section another time, does that mean I will get screened out? :( :(
Everyone screens after 2ndaries...a 6 in any section is never a good thing and will hurt your chances, how much thats debateable. No need to freak out just apply, see what happens, or retake the mcat and do better, those are your 2 options. A 6 probably means you have a sub par composite score and even if you somehow managed a >30 its still going to hurt your chances, probably significantly.

Isn't Rush kinda located in ghetto Chicago?

LOL
it's in the illniois medical district. Rush, Stroger (Cook County), UIC are all within 1-2 blocks of each other.

Located on the near west side, blocked in by damen, roosevelt, and ashland basically is the medical district.

it's a nice area directly around it (about a mile west of UIC undergrad) but go any further west, and yes, you are in the ghetto, stay away from jackson or roosevelt.

yeah... i work for medex ambulance in chicago, so trust my word.

$75, their is a signature page you can mail in with your passport/birth certificate on the secondary website... it says 2010 at the top.

For question 3 under the "Getting to Know You" section, what does "responsible for the care of others" mean? So if I took care of my grandma after her car accident, does that count or do they want some kind of clinical example?

It seems ambiguous... If you took care of your grandmother, I would include it as taking care of someone. Just be prepared to answer any questions they may have about it.

For question 3 under the "Getting to Know You" section, what does "responsible for the care of others" mean? So if I took care of my grandma after her car accident, does that count or do they want some kind of clinical example?

I planned to mention how i took care of my dad after he had an accident. It could be a clinical example too. I think it literally means what it says whether taking care of a dying relative or being responsible for someone's care in a hospital setting

Rush's secondary is finally up and available. To no one's surprise, the questions are the same as last year's.

Status
Not open for further replies.