2009-2010 Stony Brook Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Healthcare reform is on the horizon. How does this affect your choice of a career in medicine?

Describe an obstacle you've overcome and how it has defined you.

Describe an extracurricular experience that you have had which will help you become a compassionate physician and explain why.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm unsure about my topic choice for the essay on the obstacle I faced. I was planning on writing about a athletics-related topic: I was the vball captain at my school when my coach started having family problems. Once he stopped showing up I found all the responsibility heaped on me. Luckily i was able to keep my head above water with ECs and schoolwork at the same time.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm unsure about my topic choice for the essay on the obstacle I faced. I was planning on writing about a athletics-related topic: I was the vball captain at my school when my coach started having family problems. Once he stopped showing up I found all the responsibility heaped on me. Luckily i was able to keep my head above water with ECs and schoolwork at the same time.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
sounds like it could be a decent topic. Really its hard to say because obstacles are going to be relative and personal to the individual. If you feel strongly about the obstacle you faced and you feel that you learned something positive from it, id say its a decent topic.

As far as i know the secondary isnt out yet though? Or did you get it?

I was just going off Stonybrook's questions from last year. If the question changes it happens to be broad enough to be adapted somewhere else.

Whennn is it coming out?!?!?!??! :confused::xf:

it looks like it didnt come out until 8/4 last year, so id assume we have another few weeks before its out.

Wow thanks for the quick reply! Alright, I guess I shall continue to wait impatiently =)

Has anyone filled out the supplementary apps yet? Or is it even out yet? :confused:

Just got this bad boy today. Prompts are as follows:

ESSAY QUESTIONS (Please limit your responses to one page per question)

10. HEALTH CARE REFORM IS ON THE HORIZON. HOW DOES THIS EFFECT [sic] YOUR CHOICE OF A CAREER IN MEDICINE?

11. DESCRIBE AN OBSTACLE YOU'VE OVERCOME AND HOW IT HAS DEFINED YOU.

12. DESCRIBE AN EXTRACURRICULAR EXPERIENCE THAT YOU HAVE HAD WHICH WILL HELP YOU BECOME A COMPASSIONATE PHYSICIAN AND EXPLAIN WHY.

Last edited:
ugh great they changed the prompts...do i even want to fill this out now :(

**WARNING**

For those with a yahoo email account, check your spam box if you haven't received the secondary. I found mine there!

Members don't see this ad :)
10. HEALTH CARE REFORM IS ON THE HORIZON. HOW DOES THIS EFFECT [sic] YOUR CHOICE OF A CAREER IN MEDICINE?
Could someone please help clarify this prompt?
Is it asking whether HC reform affects your choice of SPECIALTY, or your decision to go into Medicine in general??

[/LEFT]
Could someone please help clarify this prompt?
Is it asking whether HC reform affects your choice of SPECIALTY, or your decision to go into Medicine in general??

That one.

Seems like I'm a little behind. I haven't gotten the email with the link to the secondary yet. Is anyone else still waiting?

Great! Though excited, Really dont feel like doing these 3 essays after completing my 6 pages rush application. :(

Seems like I'm a little behind. I haven't gotten the email with the link to the secondary yet. Is anyone else still waiting?

Yeah, same here. Since they don't screen this does seem a little odd.

If we don't here anything by Monday I'll give them a call, otherwise I'm sure they're getting to it. ;)

Anyone else having difficulty in submitting their application? Mine has this message after clicking submit:
Your Supplementary Application has been updated, but not submitted.You must go back and check the "Certify" box when your are ready to submit.
Thank You.

Anyone else having difficulty in submitting their application? Mine has this message after clicking submit:
Your Supplementary Application has been updated, but not submitted.You must go back and check the "Certify" box when your are ready to submit.
Thank You.

I got the same message.

When I clicked "submit", it showed me a "print signature" page but I can't review what I wrote (the secondary app. that I entered disappeared).

yeah don't worry, i'm still waiting too. i called the other day and they said they will be sending a bunch out shortly.

am i the only finding this healthcare reform question somewhat hard? I mean for one i dont know jack about what reforms we are looking at outside of a public option with inevitable physician pay cuts, but outside of that im lost. Also i mean reform really isnt going to change my decision to enter medicine, paycuts or not. Socialized medicine or w/e i still want to enter med school regardless....just so confused in every way by what they are looking for in this question.

am i the only finding this healthcare reform question somewhat hard? I mean for one i dont know jack about what reforms we are looking at outside of a public option with inevitable physician pay cuts, but outside of that im lost. Also i mean reform really isnt going to change my decision to enter medicine, paycuts or not. Socialized medicine or w/e i still want to enter med school regardless....just so confused in every way by what they are looking for in this question.

i decided to go into medicine years before this obama even became president. do you think it will be bad if i say this health care reform had no affect of my decision since i decided already? and then list what i like about the reform and dislike?

also, how much are most of you people writing, i want to copy and paste one of my answers, it's just 1 long paragraph.

Last edited:
i decided to go into medicine years before this obama even became president. do you think it will be bad if i say this health care reform had no affect of my decision since i decided already? and then list what i like about the reform and dislike?

also, how much are most of you people writing, i want to copy and paste one of my answers, it's just 1 long paragraph.
mine will probably be about 1/2 a page...as for if that route is ok...i mean we all decided to go into medicine before this...but i just dont know how to answer this...im just going to go with my gut and leave it be.

yeah don't worry, i'm still waiting too. i called the other day and they said they will be sending a bunch out shortly.

Thanks, I was starting to worry that I somehow didn't receive the e-mail. I'm glad I'm not the only person who still hasn't received the secondary yet.

I think that if you want to take a "Medicine is Medicine" approach despite financing models, you could talk a bit about the German, French, Canadian, or UK systems. However, the US system will probably be very different from all of these, likely most similar to Canada with some sort of public option + lots of supplementary and alternative private options. You could also talk about how this has been an ongoing debate in US Healthcare, from the time that FDR decided against including universal coverage in the New Deal and for making it an employer-driven benefit that would essentially make up for lower wages. HMOs and the like haven't been around forever, neither have Medicaid & Medicare, and doctors have still practiced throughout the systematic changes. Good luck writing. :) I think all that they're looking for is some commitment to medicine beyond finances and some very basic understanding of the current policy context.

I just received the email to complete the supplemental application, however, there is no link to the online app in the email! This is the first time I have ever had this problem. I called and they told me that others were having the same problem, and that they would have to check with their IT department. Is there anyone who has the link that can pm it to me? I would really appreciate it so I can get started on it asap.

in the email it says:
Please fill out the online Supplemental Application form.

"supplemental application" is a link to the app.

There is no hyperlink for "Supplemental Application" in the email I received. It is just plain text so there is no link for me to click, I think it is some problem on their end because they were saying other people called with the same issue.

Does anyone know how friendly Stony Brook is to OOS? I have heard they are one of the more New York-friendly schools...

Does anyone know how friendly Stony Brook is to OOS? I have heard they are one of the more New York-friendly schools...

I'm pretty sure they're the least friendly SUNY school to OOS'ers

I'm pretty sure they're the least friendly SUNY school to OOS'ers
judging from the msar data they are the MOST unfriendly of the NY schools and really heavily favor IS only. I applied as OOS becuase well...idk lol. Personally if i didnt have FAP im not sure i could swallow the 105 dollar 2ndary when they are so unfriendly to OOS.

Hi guys, for those of you that are using FAP, how do you plan to send the FAP grant copy? Are you guys sending it via e-mail or postal service. I would appriciate if someone could let me know. So far I've e-mailed them a copy. Thankyou!:)

Hi guys, for those of you that are using FAP, how do you plan to send the FAP grant copy? Are you guys sending it via e-mail or postal service. I would appriciate if someone could let me know. So far I've e-mailed them a copy. Thankyou!:)
u dont have to do anything. they already know from your primary

judging from the msar data they are the MOST unfriendly of the NY schools and really heavily favor IS only. I applied as OOS becuase well...idk lol. Personally if i didnt have FAP im not sure i could swallow the 105 dollar 2ndary when they are so unfriendly to OOS.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, the $105 fee, unfriendly to OOS, and my mediocre GPA (even given good MCAT) kind of turns me off to applying...

Can someone PM me the secondary prompt so I can update it on the first post?

Does anyone have an idea what they mean by "Please limit your responses to one page per question"?

Does anyone have an idea what they mean by "Please limit your responses to one page per question"?

They mean no more than a page per question. I assume write this in a word processor and only utilize a page. There is no character limit in the boxes. I think my answer to the first was a little more than a page, but probably under with formatting depending on how they print things out there.

Did anyone else submit? The like 2 line text Thank you for submitting with no graphic or anything is a bit worrysome! Do they send confirm emails? I got payment confirm but still a little nervous :/

They mean no more than a page per question. I assume write this in a word processor and only utilize a page. There is no character limit in the boxes. I think my answer to the first was a little more than a page, but probably under with formatting depending on how they print things out there.

Did anyone else submit? The like 2 line text Thank you for submitting with no graphic or anything is a bit worrysome! Do they send confirm emails? I got payment confirm but still a little nervous :/
i submitted on 8/17 and literally got a complete email like 4 hrs later saying im now under review. So they should move fast? I had FAP though, so maybe i went quick because they dont have to deal with verifying my payment?

i submitted on 8/17 and literally got a complete email like 4 hrs later saying im now under review. So they should move fast? I had FAP though, so maybe i went quick because they dont have to deal with verifying my payment?

Really? I submitted on the 8/14 and still not complete or under review. Congrats.

Thanks Elijah,
Ya actually I got the confirmed and submitted to committee email within an hour. Hope I get an interview here!

Really? I submitted on the 8/14 and still not complete or under review. Congrats.
haha i dont know if that warrants a congrats but thanks. In my mind id like ot think it means they want me :laugh::laugh::laugh:. In reality it probably means nothing :p. Stony brook and suny downstate are the 2 NY schools i would actually consider.

I have a question: I want to use a fee waiver but don't know if I should send it before (and wait for approval) or along with the secondary application......

When they say limit responses to one page, is it single spaced or double spaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.