2009-2010 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

None

LOR Reqs

Applicants must submit a letter of evaluation from the Health Professions Advisory Committee or the Pre-Health Advisor from their undergraduate institution. In the absence of such a committee, two letters of recommendation from faculty members in different departments are acceptable, although one of the departments must be a science department.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
no love for the suny's? where you at new yorkers

Members don't see this ad :)
So I heard Upstate is pretty friendly to OOS. But how much?

Man it's quiet here. Also not a new yorker, I"m from Canada. I also heard SUNY is oos and oo country friendly. Lots of fellow Canadians there I hear.

Man it's quiet here. Also not a new yorker, I"m from Canada. I also heard SUNY is oos and oo country friendly. Lots of fellow Canadians there I hear.
According to MSAR, SUNY Upstate accepted 43 OOS which I think is pretty good for a state school..

still waiting for the app from my hometown med school... Anybody know when this secondary becomes available?

Absolutely no clue! I don't like to wait!!!! Ahh =)

What's taking them so long? Downstate and Buffalo already got rolling long time ago.

What's taking them so long? Downstate and Buffalo already got rolling long time ago.
who knows, just be happy their secondary is as easy as buffalo and we can submit in like 5 mins probably :)

Members don't see this ad :)
the email header says "suny upstate secondary application," but the message is blank. anyone else got a blank email?

the email header says "suny upstate secondary application," but the message is blank. anyone else got a blank email?

nope, here is the text of the email though, FYI:

Thank you for your interest in SUNY Upstate Medical University College of
Medicine.

We invite you to complete our secondary application which is available at
https://bannerweb.upstate.edu/admissions/. To complete your application:
Log-In using your AMCAS ID prefixed by an A as your Login ID (example:
A01234567) and your birth date as your pin (example: if your birth date is
September 26, 1970 your pin is 092670). NOTE: If you do not pay your
application fee on-line, you will need to print off a signature page once
you submit your application, therefore you must have a printer available.

At the Application Menu screen, select NEW under the application in progress
section. Select the appropriate program. For those of you applying to our:
Regular MD program, please select Medicine Secondary
Combined MD/PhD program, please select MD/PhD Secondary
Early Decision program, please select Medicine Early Decision Secondary

All sections of the application must be completed but need not be completed
all at once. You can return to complete the application at any time.
However, your application will not be considered until you have all sections
marked as complete.

Once you have submitted your application, please print off the signature
page, sign and date it and send it, along with your $100 non-refundable
application fee to our admissions office:

SUNY Upstate Medical University
Admissions Office
1215 Weiskotten Hall
766 Irving Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13210

Once your signature page and application fee or AMCAS fee waiver have been
received, an email will be sent to you regarding any remaining missing
application materials (such as expected Letters of Recommendation).

IF YOU PAID YOUR NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION FEE ON-LINE, YOU DO NOT NEED
TO SEND IN THE SIGNATURE PAGE OR THE APPLICATION FEE. Once your
application fee posts to your application, you will also receive an email
regarding any remaining missing application materials.

You will be able to track the status of your application on line. If you
have any questions or need assistance with the application process, please
contact the Office of Student Admissions at (315) 464-4570, or email us
at [email protected].

Sincerely,
Jennifer Welch
Director of Admissions

* If you have already submitted your secondary application, please do not
submit another one. If you are an Early Assurance, special program or
deferred applicant, you do not need to fill out this secondary application

Ok that's odd. The message shows up on my university email account but it is totally blank on thunderbird.

are there essays? I want to submit this today.

are there essays? I want to submit this today.
no essays unless you are interested in rural programs.

Also anyone having a problem with this thing? When I try to enter my LOR part of the app it always says page not found some error when i click continue.

no essays unless you are interested in rural programs.

Also anyone having a problem with this thing? When I try to enter my LOR part of the app it always says page not found some error when i click continue.

it was doing that for me intermittently. if you just go back to the main page it'll work... i think.

did u get youres to work?

yeah i already submitted it, it was really short. it only started acting up towards the end, once i had already filled everything out but was double checking everything.

**** it still wont work serious this is stupid-_-. I wish all med schools had paper apps to be honest, it seems 50% of all online secondaries ive done have had problems like this.

**** it still wont work serious this is stupid-_-. I wish all med schools had paper apps to be honest, it seems 50% of all online secondaries ive done have had problems like this.

So we're to print that form after submittion and mail it with copy of FAP approval?

yay no essays! but did any of you take classes at more than one university? they don't ask you to mention where you took a particular class. Also, At my school, for some science classes, the lab was part of the lecture class, and for others, it was a separate class. I wonder how they want us to let them know this. Just mention...*included lab*?

How come I didn't get a secondary yet? I was verified last week...do they wait a week after ur verification or something?

yay no essays! but did any of you take classes at more than one university? they don't ask you to mention where you took a particular class. Also, At my school, for some science classes, the lab was part of the lecture class, and for others, it was a separate class. I wonder how they want us to let them know this. Just mention...*included lab*?

that's what i did. i was like "Intro Biology, BIOL 162, T2 2005, 5 Sem Hours, F+, Lab included"

There's a problem with the LOR page - you can't click to go forward or back, so there's no way to save the information you put there. I called the school today and they said they are working to fix the problem, and wait until it is fixed before you submit.

*edit* looks like you guys already knew that... it still won't work for me! gah.

There's a problem with the LOR page - you can't click to go forward or back, so there's no way to save the information you put there. I called the school today and they said they are working to fix the problem, and wait until it is fixed before you submit.

*edit* looks like you guys already knew that... it still won't work for me! gah.

Does Tammy Trojan have anything to do with Tommy Trojan?

So we don't have to print that page out and return it to them if we pay by credit card, right?

And also, I didn't read on here that there was a problem and submitted it-do you think I should call them or will they just figure out my LOR stuff?

So we don't have to print that page out and return it to them if we pay by credit card, right?

And also, I didn't read on here that there was a problem and submitted it-do you think I should call them or will they just figure out my LOR stuff?
if it went through you are fine. It seems some peeps are able to submit early on. I called and they said IT is working on it now and they will tell me when its fixed.

if it went through you are fine. It seems some peeps are able to submit early on. I called and they said IT is working on it now and they will tell me when its fixed.
Um. Looks like they completely removed the LOR section now.

Just called the admissions office regarding the glitch in the online app. They said that they should have it figured out by tomorrow morning.

I managed to submit my secondary this morning and pay by credit card, but I just got an e-mail stating:
We are experiencing some technical difficulties with our secondary application. Please give us a couple of days and try again on Wednesday.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

When I go to the website, it now looks as though I have not submitted anything. Does anyone know if my app will magically reappear once they get their glitches sorted out?

I managed to submit my secondary this morning and pay by credit card, but I just got an e-mail stating:
We are experiencing some technical difficulties with our secondary application. Please give us a couple of days and try again on Wednesday.

When I go to the website, it now looks as though I have not submitted anything. Does anyone know if my app will magically reappear once they get their glitches sorted out?

I have no idea but I can't imagine that it will be an issue. I mean you can just submit it again or call them.

I got an email from them 30 mins ago saying they should have their glitches sorted out by Wednesday.

subject: SUNY Upstate-Technical Problems with Secondary Application

Student Admissions

Office of Student Admissions
1215 Weiskotten Hall
766 Irving Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13210

Does anyone know if my app will magically reappear once they get their glitches sorted out?

I would wait until they sort out their glitches. If your app doesn't reappear after they have sorted out their glitches, then I would call them just to make sure they have received your application.

You would think they would have straigntened this out before sending secondaries out.:smack:

i just submitted mine today too. and paid nonetheless and it looks like i havent submitted anything either.

the deal with these systems is that it takes a day to update. so chances are our info will be up tomorrow. if not, then theyre getting a call from me:D

How were you able to submit? The website isn't even working right and I just got an email appologizing for that... was it working earlier?

i was able to submit without a problem, on the checklist everything was fine... should i be worried that I overlooked something??

i was able to submit without a problem, on the checklist everything was fine... should i be worried that I overlooked something??

No, don't be worried. What time did you submit though? A few people's applications had some issues related to the website - certain sections wont save but you'll see it in the checklist if they don't.

I couldn't get the LOR section to work earlier but now everything works and I just submitted!!! A quick and easy secondary

I couldn't get the LOR section to work earlier but now everything works and I just submitted!!! A quick and easy secondary
ditto. I was having problems earlier but just submitted! here's hoping :xf:

I have been having issues with the LOR page, too. I hope it's fixed soon.
Do they screen or send secondaries to everyone?

I have been having issues with the LOR page, too. I hope it's fixed soon.
Do they screen or send secondaries to everyone?
no screen and it should be fixed now. It works for me.

no screen and it should be fixed now. It works for me.

wait, I was going to wait till Wed before doing this thing. Like their email said. Shouldn't we wait so in case nothing goes wrong?

wait, I was going to wait till Wed before doing this thing. Like their email said. Shouldn't we wait so in case nothing goes wrong?
I dont know, i did it? I didnt really think it mattered if it works now. I think they just gave themselves extra time to avoid 1093201389012 calls from insane pre med?

Status
Not open for further replies.