2009-2010 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody else applied to USUHS?

I hope they don't change the essay topic. I am roughly done with it already. :p

So how does USUHS work? Do you have to serve mandatory military duty for like 7 years or something after you get your MD in 4 years? I'm kind of confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
So how does USUHS work? Do you have to serve mandatory military duty for like 7 years or something after you get your MD in 4 years? I'm kind of confused.

I think you do the 4 years of school, your residency, then 7 years of service. So I think it's somewhere around a 14+ year obligation depending on which residency you choose.

Check out the military medicine forum on this website. There is a ton of information about USUHS.

Good luck to all of you. I think I am going to do the HPSP route myself.

I'm definitely applying. Thanks for the info on the secondary. Anyone else in ROTC?

I was for a year. Had some issues concerning what constitutes a "technical" major in the AF. Giving it another go.

So is anyone without a clinical letter of recommendation admitted?

It says that you can attach a reason why you don't have one, but I feel like my excuse is somewhat weak. I have lost contact with my EMT managers, shadowed docs, and don't have any personal contact with my clinical volunteer coordinator. So I have an OK amount of clinical experience, but a letter of rec from any of these people wouldn't be very significant (or even possible for the former two).

What do you guys think? Would it be best to scramble to find a doc to shadow with the purpose of getting a clinical rec., try for a generic recommendation from my hospital's volunteer coordinator that I never see, or explain my situation and submit no letter.

Any advice would be appreciated! My brother is an army dentist and has convinced me to go this route!

Last edited:
In AMCAS, was there a place to choose which LOR goes to USUHS? Does the committee letter still go to USUHS?

USUHS doesn't use the AMCAS LOR thing (so there is no option to assign them in the AMCAS application)... their web page says letters should be sent directly to the school.

I am using interfolio and it already has their address info in there!

Now if only everyone would finish up my darn letters, that would be helpful ;)

USUHS doesn't use the AMCAS LOR thing (so there is no option to assign them in the AMCAS application)... their web page says letters should be sent directly to the school.

I am using interfolio and it already has their address info in there!

Now if only everyone would finish up my darn letters, that would be helpful ;)

Can they receive them through Virtual Evals as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the secondary today! Submitting tonight if things go right.

What did you guys do for the checklist of LOR's? Do we need to list each one, or do we just put the name/info for our committee letter?

What did you guys do for the checklist of LOR's? Do we need to list each one, or do we just put the name/info for our committee letter?

I listed them individually, but only because neither my undergrad or grad school had a premed committee...

I listed them individually, but only because neither my undergrad or grad school had a premed committee...

Yeah i'll probably end up doing that, i'm still not sure about exactly how though.

Should I list the committee letter as one of the letters (it'll be a packet of all letters) and list the letters from the packet individually? Anyone else on here getting a committee letter and filling this thing out?

Yeah i'll probably end up doing that, i'm still not sure about exactly how though.

Should I list the committee letter as one of the letters (it'll be a packet of all letters) and list the letters from the packet individually? Anyone else on here getting a committee letter and filling this thing out?

Last year I just listed the letter packet and then my clinical letter. Didn't have any problems doing that. You may want to notate that it is a packet.

I got my secondary as well but my primary hasnt ever verified yet. Im guessing thats because I had interfolio send my letters in the same day I submitted my AMCAS. Either way I am excited...hoping to have my essay done midweek...

7 years in active duty if a long time if you're just "thinking" about it. You have to WANT that. I'd do the national guard any day though :thumbup:

7 years in active duty if a long time if you're just "thinking" about it. You have to WANT that. I'd do the national guard any day though :thumbup:

Agreed, and it's more of a 15 year obligation. 4 years of medical school, 3-5 years of residency, and 7 years of service afterwards. God forbid you get pushed into a GMO tour before your residency. It could easily become a nearly 20 year obligation if you followed up that GMO tour with a lengthy 5-7 year residency.

Ive been reading up a lot on USUHS!

I applied last year and was considering HPSP, but this seems pretty cool!

Does anyone know any students that are attending the university presently? It would be nice to have a student that is in the program to talk to, to truly find out how medical school is for them.

Ive been looking but I wasnt able to find much information on this:
Does anyone know, if we have time to do global mission trips over the summers, or is it just for training?
And how does research work, if you are interested in conducting some research without being in the MD/PhD program??

This school seems very interesting, something unlike any other school in the nation. Ive never been in ROTC or anything, but I was a collegiate athlete, so I dont think the workouts could be too much different. Does anyone know if they are really strenuous?? :beat:lol :laugh:

I like the smileys. can u tell...hahahahaha!:poke:

Good luck all!!!

Ive been reading up a lot on USUHS!

I applied last year and was considering HPSP, but this seems pretty cool!

Does anyone know any students that are attending the university presently? It would be nice to have a student that is in the program to talk to, to truly find out how medical school is for them.

I was a navy corpsman (medic) for five years and in that time worked with three USUHS graduates. Each of them said other than wearing a uniform to class you are pretty much like any other med student.

Ive been looking but I wasnt able to find much information on this:
Does anyone know, if we have time to do global mission trips over the summers, or is it just for training?
I believe you get a few weeks of vacation over the summer but beyond that you are pretty tied down to performing research or working in a military hospital.

And how does research work, if you are interested in conducting some research without being in the MD/PhD program??
I took a tour last year and they said that if you have interest in research it is easy to find a faculty advisor to get you in the lab.

This school seems very interesting, something unlike any other school in the nation. Ive never been in ROTC or anything, but I was a collegiate athlete, so I dont think the workouts could be too much different. Does anyone know if they are really strenuous?? :beat:lol :laugh:
Yea you'll be fine we had doctors who could barely run the mile and a half in under 14:00 minutes. As long as you are in decent shape it will be a breeze.

If you decide to go for it good luck!

Greetings fellow aspiring medical officers!

Thought I'd pop in and say hello and share my own experiences.

For me USUHS is my #1 school as I dream of a career in Naval Medicine.

Applying to AMCAS: Stayed up until 3:32 AM in Honolulu to make sure my application was submitted in the first 2 minutes. I was worried it wouldn't be verified by June 24. It took them 4 hours.

Secondary: I recieved it Tuesday night, June 30. I had written my essay, (the best essay I have ever written and that's saying a lot as I spent 3 months on my PS and poured my heart and soul into it) by June 20 and the next day, Wensday July 1, I was at the post office at 10:15 am mailing my secondary overnight express delivery, with confirmation.

The post office promised to have it at the admissions office by noon the next day, it got there at 9:42 am on Thursday, July 2.

LORs, I had them ready and waiting at my File Rec services at my University. On Wensday I drove down there and hand delivered the request form, (to save a day or two that mailing it would have taken).

I am 100% confident that I did everything right and that there is nothing I could have done to make my application any stronger or send it faster.

Now as they say in the military, Hurry up and wait to see if my 34S MCAT and 3.97 GPA is worthy of a spot in the Navy or AF program.

I was wondering, would any else be willing to share their experiences and their GPA and MCAT stats?

Perhaps those on this thread could get to know each other and become friends?

If we get in it might be nice to know someone at Officer Indoctrination School, (the Navy version of that program) as well as at USUHS itself.

Thoughts?

Greetings fellow aspiring medical officers!

Thought I'd pop in and say hello and share my own experiences.

For me USUHS is my #1 school as I dream of a career in Naval Medicine.

Applying to AMCAS: Stayed up until 3:32 AM in Honolulu to make sure my application was submitted in the first 2 minutes. I was worried it wouldn't be verified by June 24. It took them 4 hours.

Secondary: I recieved it Tuesday night, June 30. I had written my essay, (the best essay I have ever written and that's saying a lot as I spent 3 months on my PS and poured my heart and soul into it) by June 20 and the next day, Wensday July 1, I was at the post office at 10:15 am mailing my secondary overnight express delivery, with confirmation.

The post office promised to have it at the admissions office by noon the next day, it got there at 9:42 am on Thursday, July 2.

LORs, I had them ready and waiting at my File Rec services at my University. On Wensday I drove down there and hand delivered the request form, (to save a day or two that mailing it would have taken).

I am 100% confident that I did everything right and that there is nothing I could have done to make my application any stronger or send it faster.

Now as they say in the military, Hurry up and wait to see if my 34S MCAT and 3.97 GPA is worthy of a spot in the Navy or AF program.

I was wondering, would any else be willing to share their experiences and their GPA and MCAT stats?

Perhaps those on this thread could get to know each other and become friends?

If we get in it might be nice to know someone at Officer Indoctrination School, (the Navy version of that program) as well as at USUHS itself.

Thoughts?

If you put as much effort into boozin and partying as you do into your pursuit of medical school, we can definitely hang out in school.

I'd rather keep my stats and all that out though, it's an anonymity thing. I'll pm you with all of it if I get accepted.

NoMoreAMCAS, you're on.

While I don't drink, I am certainly down for having a little fun, especially with some nice lady friends:)

If only USUHS wasn't 75% men, but hey that just makes it a challenge and a life without challenge is a life not worthy living right:)

Good luck with your application.

By the way, which program are you trying to get into? Army, Navy or Airforce?

NoMoreAMCAS, you're on.

While I don't drink, I am certainly down for having a little fun, especially with some nice lady friends:)

If only USUHS wasn't 75% men, but hey that just makes it a challenge and a life without challenge is a life not worthy living right:)

Hey, I was just wondering how much experience you have had with Navy medicine. I was on the ship the past two summers shadowing Navy doctors and I just want to let you know its very, very different from the civilian world. Its early mornings, long days, 6 days a week, for 6 months at a time, have you lived in a stateroom? The residency options are limited and I hope you have done your research on the GMO tour after your intern year.

On another note, I definitely think you will get in with your stats. As USUHS says, 3.5 and 30 and you are golden... so as long as you are not weird, haha, your stats should get you in. But you know your stats are good enough even for top 20 schools so why are you so worried?

NoMoreAMCAS, you're on.

Haha, alright man.

I'll probably rank the services 1-Air Force, 2-Navy, 3-Army. AF and Navy could flip flop, but the Army is definitely 3rd.

I'm curious why so many people put army last. Is there something I should know about army? I thought they had more residency options than the other two? :confused:

I'm curious why so many people put army last. Is there something I should know about army? I thought they had more residency options than the other two? :confused:

It does have more residency options than the other two and also has 12-14 month deplyments to go right along with it. The Navy generally has 7 months deplyments with the Marines and 6-7 on ship (can vary greatly depending on the conflict). The Air Force is usually even shorter with 3-4 month deployments (again varies greatly depending on your unit and speciality).

It does have more residency options than the other two and also has 12-14 month deplyments to go right along with it. The Navy generally has 7 months deplyments with the Marines and 6-7 on ship (can vary greatly depending on the conflict). The Air Force is usually even shorter with 3-4 month deployments (again varies greatly depending on your unit and speciality).

This feels like a rookie question, but can the deployment to somewhere like Afghanistan or Iraq be circumvented by vying for a safer residency (pediatrics, etc)? Although I'm sure not many of these positions are available. Just curious!

Delicate Few I am curious what you mean by staterooms aboard ship.

From the research I have done I know that you come out of USUHS or graduated from HPSP as O-3, Lieutenant.

As a commissioned officer of this rank I believe you share a room with two other officers, correct?

To be honest I actually see the oppertunity to be deployed aboard a ship as one of the benefits Navy has over AF, (the other is that Navy has no land locked bases in MT, ND or the like).

While true that AF has all the latest toys, ie Fighter Jets, bombers, UAVs, CAVs, ect. Unless I was a flight surgeon I couldn't actually do anything with these awsome pieces of tech. I would just be a doctor assigned to the base, treating the crews that service these bad boys.

In the Navy you can do more than admire the air craft carriers, you can actually live on one.

What's more I have heard that its actually pretty easy to be assigned to a carrier, as most Medical Lieutenants are married and ask for on base assignments.

For me this has 2 bonuses.

1. As a single bloke this may be the only chance in my life for the kind of life expereince offered as a Medical officer aboard a carrier.

2. On the dream sheet you can put 5 preferences for deployment.

You can do research online to find out which carriers are stationed in which bases. Then you can order your dream sheet so that your odds are maximized that you get stationed in a place your love.

For me that means:

1. US Navy Medical Hospital, San Fransisco
2. US Navy Medical Hospital, Pearl Harbor
3. US Navy Medical Hospital, San Diego
4. USS Nimitz, San Diego
5. USS Ronald Reagan, San Diego

And as for the "naval medicine is a lot worse than civilian medicine" that is debatable.

The ER docs I shadowed at a private hospital had plenty to bitch about and one actually asked me "why the hell would you want to go into medicine, it sucks."

After I explained the horrors that lie outside the medical field he immediately understood.

I am a extremely idealistic and liberal person and I am trying to take my life in a direction that lets me live my ideals.

I dream of a society in which everyone has a purpose, and in exchange for performing their duty society takes care of its own.

Say what you will about the military and all its flaws, but there is no unemployment, no homelessness, no one goes hungry, everyone gets an education a retirement pension, (as long as they put in 20+ years) and most important to me, everyone has healthcare.

I feel very strongly about this and the military is the only place in America that I can live my ideals.

The Navy wins because it has the best locations, (San Fran, Honolulu and San Diego) the coolest toys I can actually play with, (Carreirs, including the new gen carriers coming in 2015) and the risk of me dieing is minimal as most navy docs are stationed on bases in the US and navy ships are very well protected.

In regards to my stats being good enough to get in, you are correct, with a GPA in the top 5% and MCAT in the top 7% of applicants I can probably get into USUHS.

BUT which program? Last year there where only 172 spots and I hear that the Army gets priority.

So what does that leave the Navy? About a third? So 57 spots or so.
Last year 2343 applied to USUHS, 57 out of 2343 is 2.4%

Suddenly 34S MCAT and 3.97 GPA dosn't seem like enough.

Got a response today saying my supplemental materials had been received along with my letters of recommendation and is now ready to be reviewed. Now it's just the waiting game for me.

xmsr3, you can certainly live on a carrier if you like. There are only 12 carriers in the Navy, and only 3-4 MDs on each, (some PAs, DOs) but after spending the last month working on one i know that most of the doctors prefer shore duty.

I don't know who you are referring to by saying "Say what you will about the military and all its flaws" because this is a USUHS thread and we are all choosing the military! Just be aware that it isn't as idealistic as you think, getting promoted depends a lot on your personality and how good of a leader you are.

But I agree Navy is the best!!! And it has more planes than the airforce... ;)

Got a response today saying my supplemental materials had been received along with my letters of recommendation and is now ready to be reviewed. Now it's just the waiting game for me.

did you get an email or did you do the postcards thing??

delicatefew the fact that you say, "realize that its not as idealistic as you think" is exactly what I mean by "say what you will about mil med".

That is not just a critique of the military but any organization.

Ask any health insurance company what there mission is. They will spout of some company line about, "provideing all our customers with excellent care at a fair value".

In reality they hire people who do nothing but comb through every form you filled out over the years the moment you get sick and try to find a reason to deny you coverage.

Same with the military. They say they care about soldiers but in the end accomplishing the mission comes first.

BUT despite the imperfect idealism and red tape, it is true that the security offered by the military, the guaranteed employment, housing, medical care, education and retirement pension is true.

As this most recent economic crisis shows, that kind of security is actually worth a lot more than we think.

My own family is currently realing from my father losing his job and my mother terrified that she will lose hers.

They are heavily indebted and my dad is having trouble sleeping at night, trying to juggle credit cards to pay off other cards, all of which he used just to pay the bills.

You know what is interesting?

The happiest nation on earth since 2002, when they started doing regular surveys has been Denmark.

You know the reason most Danes say they are happy?

Security, they feel secure that their basic necessities of life are safe and so they can focus on personal enjoyment and growth.

In America you are never safe. A single medical emergency can bankrupt even a wealthy family and a job loss can sink anyone living paycheck to paycheck.

So for someone like me, who has grown up knowing both boom times and bust, who sees the kind of torment a parent goes through when he wonders if he will have to take out a mortgage on the house just to pay the bills, economic security is the cornerstone of a happy life.

My family will never know the kind of fear that tortures my father to sleep every night.

I am currently single and will remain so until I am secure in the fact that I have my financial ducks in a row.

No debt, lots of savings and never living a day in fear of what may come.

When my kids are born I will start putting away a few hundred dollars each month into small cap stocks for them, so when they get to college they will be able to go anywhere without worry.

Anyway I've started to ramble and I apologize for that, its midnight where I am and I am exhausted.

I'll just close with this thought, taught to me by my mentor Harland Smith.

A civilization worth the name is a society in which all people are guaranteed the basic necessities of life thus ensuring equality of oppertunity and the ability to attempt to maximize their potential. Thus is aggregate happiness maximized and social harmony and prosperity ensured.

In my book what the military offers is the closest thing to that ideal society that can be found in the US.

I have been going back and forth on this school for at least 6 months. I keep coming to the same pro/cons:

Freedom to go where, do what I want, when I want

vs.

Financial freedom

Now, obviously this is grossly simplified but I think it seems like it is still applicable. Your posts have really helped me sort things out in my head, so thank you! I will be applying for a spot in the 2014 class. But, unfortunately I am going to be bottom of the pile because I am applying late. I will not be taking my MCAT until Aug21. I've been practice testing with avg's >32, so a 32 is what I am hoping to get.

I will be re-applying if I do not get into medical school, but it'd be nice if I could catch a break!

And, for those who are curious, I would be MOSTLY interested in AF, although I would consider Navy.

Based on last years SDNers it looks like the earliest we will be hearing about interviews is August 1. Now just to relax until then. :xf: Good luck guys hope to be going to med school with you next year.

Hazaaaaaah!

Yesterday I emailed Joan Stearman and very politely asked if she would be so kind as to confirm that my secondary and LORs had come in. She emailed her assistant Diane and asked her to do it. This morning I heard from Diane and yes, my application is complete! Now its just hurry and wait!

God I hope I get in. I swear on my life I would turn down Harvard to go to USUHS! Heck, if the dean of medicine of Johns Hopkins came to my house and begged me on bent knee I would still choose USUHS!

Its not just a medical school, its a career! They don't just offer you a free medical education, they actually pay you $50K annually to do it! While my friends will be racking up $150k in debt I will finish USUHS with $150K in savings and then start a career that will take me all over the world and around the country, doing things and meeting people that no civlian could do or meet!

Hazaaaaaah!

Yesterday I emailed Joan Stearman and very politely asked if she would be so kind as to confirm that my secondary and LORs had come in. She emailed her assistant Diane and asked her to do it. This morning I heard from Diane and yes, my application is complete! Now its just hurry and wait!

I'm complete too... but rather than stalking the director of admissions to find this out, I just sent an email to the address they TOLD us to use in the INSTRUCTIONS.

well scooter, I wouldn't call it stalking. I happen to know Joan Stearman from a few months back when she helped me out immensely. I was reading the USUHS catalog and came across the pre-reqs, one of which was a semester of calc. Now I had done AP calc 1 in high school but the catalogue said AP wasn't acceptable.

I found Mr.s Stearman's contact info from a SDN thread which mentioned that she is a real angel when it comes to helping out prospective students so I emailed her and explained my situation and that I had taken two semesters of calculus based physics and several econ classes where calc was a pre-req and got A's in all of them. She told me that while normally the pre-reqs can't be AP, they do have some discretion on the calc pre-req. She even went so far to make a copy of that email which is attached to my application.

She was also helpful with a question I had about LORs. The secondary makes it sound like you need to send a seperate request to your letter writers rather than just have your file holding service send them. She assured me that wasn't the case.

Overall I would say that Joan Stearman's repuation as the patron saint of USUHS aspiring pre-meds is well earned as long as you are super polite, (also mentioning super good stats just how much you yearn for a life long career in the Navy Med Corps may help too:)

Hazaaaaaah!

Its not just a medical school, its a career! They don't just offer you a free medical education, they actually pay you $50K annually to do it! While my friends will be racking up $150k in debt I will finish USUHS with $150K in savings and then start a career that will take me all over the world and around the country, doing things and meeting people that no civlian could do or meet!

umm...I don't think you live near Bethesda now (in fact I thought I saw HI in an earlier post). The cost of living here is ridiculous. I've been working for a year in DC and managed to scrounge ~5k in savings (most of which has been allocated to the application process :rolleyes:). I know there are tax implications in housing allowances, etc., so maybe expect 8k in savings? Certainly not 75% of your paycheck. Right now, rent + car payments = 65% of my paycheck. The market is moving sideways for the next 10 years, so unless you're playing the ponies @ Foxfields, your expectations on savings are way too high.

if you don't believe me, crunch the numbers yourself:

http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/home-budget-worksheet.html provides a good template

assume a typical rent between 800 - 1200.

sorry--I know its off-topic, but I've found that most of my '09 friends coming out of college right now have ridiculous expectations in terms of their finances, and I think it's important to have a realistic perspective.

Caniac, thanks for the concern but let me clarify.

When I said "may have $150K in savings" I meant that I would be able to put away $72K over 4 years, invest it in small caps, which, if I am lucky will do very well over that time.

I also have about $20K in stocks now, which I will have to sell $5K or so to cover my last semester but the rest I can keep and will also hopefully do well, (I am 2 stocks I believe may be the kind of stocks you retire on).

I have double checked and USUHS only pays $4200/month not $4500, thats for dependents. So my numbers were a bit off and it does seem like I will need a car, so thats another $500/month gone. But still, with the $1000/month for a nice apartment in Rockville or somewhere similar, the cost of food, unifrom, clothes, toilletries, putting away enough for 2 annual vacations, a car, an emergency slush fund, tech budget and entertainment budget, I should still be able to put away $700/month or $500 at the very minimum if I really want to make sure I have a nice financial cushion.

Hopefully I will get in..I don't know if my clinical applies as clinical but I think it does. I also mailed it yesterday..about 2 weeks after recieving it, but..I'll see I guess...3.6 with 31Q..pretty average

Status
Not open for further replies.