2009-2010 University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician.

2. Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it.

3. Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations.

Please explain how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and/or working with diverse populations.

4. If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state. If you are a Minnesota resident, please enter N/A.

5. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year.

6. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application. If there are none, please enter N/A.

7. Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you would pursue is:

8. Have you ever been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor? If YES, you must include a full explanation below.

9. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? If there is none, please enter N/A.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know approximately when the secondary application will be available? The only thread from last year I could find seems to show that they were released in late July.

Does anyone know approximately when the secondary application will be available? The only thread from last year I could find seems to show that they were released in late July.

From what I hear, they are slow and the secondary comes VERY LATE. Don't get too excited :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied this past year, and while I really liked the school, I just wanna warn you guys to be prepared for a very long and disorganized process.

Yes, the secondaries come out sporadically and generally later (closer to Oct/Nov). Also, ignore any timline they tell you. They may say they will get you certain info by a certain date, but the said date is totally irrelevant and tehy will contact you when they se fit.

However, the interview day is pretty good (assuming your interviewer isn't an hour late as mine was), the tour is informative and lunch is great. I had a really hard time deciding to go somewhere else over UMN.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

How are they with OOS-ers? I'm from WI but have extended family up in the twin cities, plus my brother will be going to the U for undergrad. I looked for undergrad but ultimately decided to go elsewhere. Last year, the two OOSers that applied (one with fantastic numbers and a PharmD) got rejected right away...

How are they with OOS-ers? I'm from WI but have extended family up in the twin cities, plus my brother will be going to the U for undergrad. I looked for undergrad but ultimately decided to go elsewhere. Last year, the two OOSers that applied (one with fantastic numbers and a PharmD) got rejected right away...
I have ties to the state, but am not a resident of MN and was accepted with middle-range scores. It is possible with a solid application.

Might as well apply, it is a great school. The interviews were low-stress and very friendly, and the lunch was tasty.

So I take it we just wait for a few more months before hearing anything at all?

So I take it we just wait for a few more months before hearing anything at all?

That's the way it sounds. Maybe the belief is that in a few months the "strong" applicants will be accepted elsewhere, so if this is a safety school for them they won't interview here. That would save the school time and money.

That's the way it sounds. Maybe the belief is that in a few months the "strong" applicants will be accepted elsewhere, so if this is a safety school for them they won't interview here. That would save the school time and money.

Sounds reasonable. Also, I'm an undergrad here now and I know that the school is trying to save money right now so I wouldn't get too excited for the secondary quite yet...

I just got an email asking which campus I wanted to apply to: Twin Cities or Duluth. Are you guys all applying to both? one over the other? reasons?

I am applying to twin cities. I don't want to go to duluth. They describe both school, I think it is a personal preference. I am only applying here because my best friend is going to grad school there and I would LOVE to live with her.

I am applying to Twin Cities only as well. I'm pretty sure that you need to have a clear interest in rural/family medicine to have a shot at Duluth anyway...

Is that email only a link to allow us to choose which school we are interested in? I thought it included the secondary with it as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you live in a town larger than 20,000 it is pretty hard to get into. They don't even take many Duluth people. Their mission is rural/family medicine, and you need to show a strong initiative towards rural/family med to get in. There is always exceptions, but they hold very firm to their mission.

I just got an email asking which campus I wanted to apply to: Twin Cities or Duluth. Are you guys all applying to both? one over the other? reasons?

when i press the "submit" button, nothing happens... is something supposed to happen or is it just my computer? :confused:

when i press the "submit" button, nothing happens... is something supposed to happen or is it just my computer? :confused:

mine went to a different screen explaining what i needed to do if i decided to change my decisions etc.

mine went to a different screen explaining what i needed to do if i decided to change my decisions etc.

same with mine.
..so did anyone get the actual secondary yet?

If you live in a town larger than 20,000 it is pretty hard to get into. They don't even take many Duluth people. Their mission is rural/family medicine, and you need to show a strong initiative towards rural/family med to get in. There is always exceptions, but they hold very firm to their mission.

From the adcom perspective, does it look bad if one applies to both campuses? I'm worried that it will it look like I'm doing it just to have an "extra shot" at getting an interview and acceptance.

From the adcom perspective, does it look bad if one applies to both campuses? I'm worried that it will it look like I'm doing it just to have an "extra shot" at getting an interview and acceptance.

No, they will not know. They have two different adcoms-they are two separate schools really. Keep in mind what others have said though regarding a desire to work in and a hx. of living in small towns. This really does go a long way.

ericL is right, they wont know and there are two separate adcoms. The two schools are completely opposites in their mission though. Just make sure in the secondary to UMD they understand that you have a strong desire to practice primary medicine in rural minnesota or else you are likely not to get an interview. Theres always exceptions, but as I said before they dont stray away from their mission too often.

Does anyone know if they pre-screen the applicants or do they send out secondaries to everyone that check the box on the AMCAS application?

Thanks for your help! I'm hard having a time deciding which secondaries to complete - they are SO expensive. And I learned from this forum that some schools like BU send secondaries to everyone so it's like - why bother. The chances are so slim and it's just like flushing $100 down the toilet. But I guess I should just submit it. Better than regretting it later. :)

Thanks for your help! I'm hard having a time deciding which secondaries to complete - they are SO expensive. And I learned from this forum that some schools like BU send secondaries to everyone so it's like - why bother. The chances are so slim and it's just like flushing $100 down the toilet. But I guess I should just submit it. Better than regretting it later. :)

An extra $100 now can be the difference between getting in and not getting in. Having to reapply next year will end costing way more than that. Plus, why would you have sent them your primary just to not submit a secondary? That is a waste of $31.

An extra $100 now can be the difference between getting in and not getting in. Having to reapply next year will end costing way more than that. Plus, why would you have sent them your primary just to not submit a secondary? That is a waste of $31.

I know that for some people they discovered things about a school that they didn't necessarily know when they submitted the primaries. I have done all of my secondaries so far but there is one I am considering not doing.

I know that for some people they discovered things about a school that they didn't necessarily know when they submitted the primaries. I have done all of my secondaries so far but there is one I am considering not doing.

I understand that. I had sometime after the spring semester ended, so I made sure to really research all the schools I decided to apply to. That is the reason my list of schools is only at 11.

Is it just me, or is there no thread for Duluth? I'm applying to both, and I just got the Duluth secondary today. Did anyone else get it? It definitely makes sure you want to do rural or Native American healthcare.. Haha. Rural is fine with me!

Is it just me, or is there no thread for Duluth? I'm applying to both, and I just got the Duluth secondary today. Did anyone else get it? It definitely makes sure you want to do rural or Native American healthcare.. Haha. Rural is fine with me!

You should make a Duluth thread! If I was applying there I would. Show shemarty she isn't the only one who can make threads here!

Has anyone gotten an actual secondary from the Twin Cities campus? I just got the email where I selected which site to apply to, but haven't heard anything since then.

Has anyone gotten an actual secondary from the Twin Cities campus? I just got the email where I selected which site to apply to, but haven't heard anything since then.

According to a past year's applicant, this secondary comes out really late. I guess that way we can have all our other secondaries finished by then...

Anyone else get the lame teaser email from them. I feel like it is way too late for that kind of thing...just give us the supplemental!

Anyone else get the lame teaser email from them. I feel like it is way too late for that kind of thing...just give us the supplemental!

I got it. I saw it and I was kind of excited. I started reading it and was still excited, then I quickly realized it wasn't really anything...oh well, at least they are stayin in touch with us.

Anybody know when the supplemental usually comes out? August? September?

Ok, this is bull****! I just checked my email, saw a message from U of M and thought, YAY! secondary is finally here!

Instead its an email saying that they have recieved my 2010 AMCAS and will get back to me about the secondary if I pass their screen.

3 weeks ago they sent me a message saying that they had recieved my application and wanted to me tell them which schools I was applying to. They told me that the secondary would be sent as soon as they got my application! BUT didn't they just say they had recieved my appliation and thus the reason for the email?

MAN those guys are slow as hell! I will most likely have interview invites from several schools before I get their secondary and I applied to those schools at the same time!

To add insult to injury I hear that for their secondary they wish us to compose an epic detailing our past, past and future in medicine!

I just hope that the essays aren't as dumb, (and numerous) as Duluth, that was ridiculous!

The same thing happened to me. I see the e-mail and think "YES! Let's get this show on the road" but no, just another teaser. I don't think they'll have as many questions as Duluth.

The same thing happened to me. I see the e-mail and think "YES! Let's get this show on the road" but no, just another teaser. I don't think they'll have as many questions as Duluth.

I haven't received a single email from them yet. Ah well. It's all a waiting game.

I haven't received a single email from them yet. Ah well. It's all a waiting game.

CielloStelatto I applied here last year MD/PHD there is no secondary for Md/phd. I remember them saying they would let me know if I had an interview or not around December... it's a super long wait with them. :) This is probably why you haven't gotten any emails yet. You don't have to do the MD secondary because you aren't considered for an MD acceptance the same year at Minnesota...

Nope, but I am sure you will have a great chance since you are instate and seem to have everything in order application wise! I interviewed at both of my instate schools...

Good Luck! Is this your first choice?

Nope, but I am sure you will have a great chance since you are instate and seem to have everything in order application wise! I interviewed at both of my instate schools...

Good Luck! Is this your first choice?

Mayo and here- I would love to be back in MN, especially to see my nephews more often :)

Ok, this is bull****! I just checked my email, saw a message from U of M and thought, YAY! secondary is finally here!

Instead its an email saying that they have recieved my 2010 AMCAS and will get back to me about the secondary if I pass their screen.

3 weeks ago they sent me a message saying that they had recieved my application and wanted to me tell them which schools I was applying to. They told me that the secondary would be sent as soon as they got my application! BUT didn't they just say they had recieved my appliation and thus the reason for the email?

MAN those guys are slow as hell! I will most likely have interview invites from several schools before I get their secondary and I applied to those schools at the same time!

To add insult to injury I hear that for their secondary they wish us to compose an epic detailing our past, past and future in medicine!

I just hope that the essays aren't as dumb, (and numerous) as Duluth, that was ridiculous!

Hahaha, this is totally how the U rolls... Also, stay on top of them, it is not uncommon for them to forget to send out things like secondarys to applicants. More than one person I know of (including myself) from last year had to call and inquire about where it was only to be told they thought they sent us the link for it. Even after that it was another few days before actually receiving the link.

Hang in there!

Hahaha, this is totally how the U rolls... Also, stay on top of them, it is not uncommon for them to forget to send out things like secondarys to applicants. More than one person I know of (including myself) from last year had to call and inquire about where it was only to be told they thought they sent us the link for it. Even after that it was another few days before actually receiving the link.

Hang in there!

At this point, I don't even know if I am going to do this secondary. I have already done all of my other secondaries, so I might just wait until october to do it. If I am lucky enough to get accepted somewhere around October 15th, I am not going to do it.

Is anyone else doing the UMN Duluth secondary right now?

Holy Mary Mother of God, this is ridiculous. I'm on question #6.

I'm going to power through it because I like their schtick, and if they're the only school I get into, it would only be 2 years until I can get back to my family in the twin cities.

Yeah - 23 questions is borderline ridiculous! I submitted the Duluth one already, and am now impatiently waiting for Twin Cities to get going - it is only the beginning of August and I'm already fed up....going to be a long fall/winter playing the waiting game!

To be fair to Duluth they only had 14 essays the rest where just yes or no questions, but yes 14 is still FUBAR.

I am normally very good at essay writing but I had to dig deep and concoct a whole lot of bull**** to get through this one but I was still able to turn it around in 3 hours.

i saw on last year's secondary that they ask if you have any ties to MN. I have a bunch of cousins (5) who live out there as well as my best friend. Are these ties?

No love for Minnesota eh?

haha... just had to write that. this is not an important question but I really want to do a

Yooper Bump!

i saw on last year's secondary that they ask if you have any ties to MN. I have a bunch of cousins (5) who live out there as well as my best friend. Are these ties?

I think having family in Minnesotta ties you to the state. It might not be the strongest ties to the state that they see, but it is still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.