2009-2010 University of North Dakota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

hey i am porspective student for north Dakota post bac. pharmD progrm-2010-11,if u can give me info abt application procedure and docs require dat ll be helpfull to me
thnx
have good one:xf:

I'm guessing not a lot of N.D. students use the SDN forums?
My application is complete, just hoping for an interview...
*waits patiently*

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the questions on N Dakotas secondary?
thanks

What are the questions on N Dakotas secondary?
thanks

Pretty standard stuff, except for the "Peer Letter", as I've described in the PM I just sent you. :)

For anyone interested in applying, just contact the admissions office and request an application. They'll email you a link to log into their system, then you can see the whole thing yourself. You won't have to pay the $50 fee until you're ready to submit.

BTW, anyone interviewing here yet? I don't think they start reviewing applications until November, right???

edit: it's not really a "secondary" since there's no AMCAS primary. It's just their own system. For what it's worth, I like it, except for the having to re-enter all of your classes and grades --- again ---... lol - I've already had to do that for a few other systems and it gets tedious. >_<

Last edited:
Pretty standard stuff, except for the "Peer Letter", as I've described in the PM I just sent you. :)

For anyone interested in applying, just contact the admissions office and request an application. They'll email you a link to log into their system, then you can see the whole thing yourself. You won't have to pay the $50 fee until you're ready to submit.

BTW, anyone interviewing here yet? I don't think they start reviewing applications until November, right???

edit: it's not really a "secondary" since there's no AMCAS primary. It's just their own system. For what it's worth, I like it, except for the having to re-enter all of your classes and grades --- again ---... lol - I've already had to do that for a few other systems and it gets tedious. >_<

It does get annoying. They classify the courses differently, though, because my sGPA is two-tenths higher here than on the AMCAS system & one-tenth higher than AACOMAS. I am just waiting for my transcripts to get here, it is taking forever.

What did you take the Peer Letter to mean? I ended up just choosing the LOR from teh person who knew me the best to be it. Oh well.

Erald, I see you're from Texas. Do you know UNDSMHS only matriculates applicants from ND, MN residents and WICHE applicants. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just informative.

If you get a letter to interview it'll come in Nov or early Dec. They start reviewing apps after Nov 1st. Interviews are weekends in Dec. through the first weekend or two in Jan.

Erald, I see you're from Texas...

I'm a former ND resident, so I get 50/100 points for that one, and am still grouped into the in-state category (according to admissions). I was born and raised in ND, served in the ND Air National Guard, and went to UND for two undergraduate semesters, so I know what I'm getting into: great school - COLD WINTERS!

I heard that coffee shop Tabula is gone??? So sad, if true...
Though there's no shortage of other good study spots around campus... :)

I figured you wouldn't apply here from TX if you didn't know what was going on..

I heard that coffee shop Tabula is gone??? So sad, if true...

Its still a coffee shop but it's just not called Tabula, its called Archives. The church that owns the space decided not to renew Tabula's lease, so they're out and Archives is in.

...it's just not called Tabula, its called Archives. The church that owns the space decided not to renew Tabula's lease, so they're out and Archives is in.

But... O.0 Do they still have the big awesome table!? I mean, that pretty much made Tabula Tabula for me... That and the Seattle Market Spice tea :)

I'm really looking forward to [hopefully] interviewing there!

I'm guessing not a lot of N.D. students use the SDN forums?
My application is complete, just hoping for an interview...
*waits patiently*
It is so frustrating that they don't even start until mid-November on this. I had added an extra LOR just because I didn't think it would matter if it made my complete date later.

sooo.....no one else is applying here?

I'm guessing not a lot of ND residents know of or use SDN forums. ?

Also, there isn't much to talk about after you get the application in until they finally start reviewing them in November... >_>

*impatient*

Members don't see this ad :)
We're getting closer to November 1st! I hate this waiting game. I interviewed here last year and thought the school was great, despite the less than appealing location. I hope things go better for me this year after my much improved MCAT!

Anyone hear from them yet? They are supposed to schedule interviews in "mid-November."

Anyone hear from them yet? They are supposed to schedule interviews in "mid-November."

I haven't heard anything yet, but I am assuming they are going to review IS before any amount of OS applicants. Plus today is technically "mid-November" so I wouldn't get worried yet.

At last! Well, it's not an official interview invite, but I received an e-mail today saying "Since you go to school/live a distance from Grand Forks, I am sending a note to find out if you have a preference for an interview date/time." I am scheduled for January 8th. If you're curious, these are the following dates on which they will interview:

Friday, December 11, 2009 Afternoon and evening
Saturday, December 12 Morning and Afternoon
Friday, December 18 Afternoon and evening
Saturday, December 19 Morning and afternoon
Thursday, January 7, 2010 Morning and afternoon
Friday, January 8 Morning and afternoon

They will send out official invites a little bit later.

I'm considered "in-state", and haven't heard anything yet.
Just FYI.

I'll post if I do. :thumbup:

oops, sorry for the assumption! :oops:

Thanks to the other poster for those dates...at least we know they are starting!

I'm a ND resident and just got my interview date for the 12th of December. Supposedly, they didn't start looking at the applications until a couple of weeks ago. This is my first time applying, but from what I hear the interview all depends on what "team" of interviewers you get. Some have interviewers that are really harsh, while others are more friendly. It's the luck of the draw from what I hear. I know of a few people that are in med school there and that's what they said.

So I totally got a rejection letter from here today.

All I saw at first was "interview" and "Scheduled" and wondered why they didn't call instead...hehe
Oh well

It seems weird though because really who applies here?! :smuggrin:

So I totally got a rejection letter from here today.

All I saw at first was "interview" and "Scheduled" and wondered why they didn't call instead...hehe
Oh well

It seems weird though because really who applies here?! :smuggrin:

Sorry to hear about the rejection. They also don't call about interviews for anyone who has yet to receive one - they pretty much communicate everything by snail mail (occasionally email). UND puts a very strong emphasis on North Dakota residency. If you are not a current ND resident or if you have never lived in North Dakota at any point in your life, they will probably not be interested. They do accept a few students from Montana through the WICHE program, but that is about it for out-of-staters. While rejections suck, rest assured that it probably had nothing to do with your stats.

Sorry to hear about the rejection. They also don't call about interviews for anyone who has yet to receive one - they pretty much communicate everything by snail mail (occasionally email). UND puts a very strong emphasis on North Dakota residency. If you are not a current ND resident or if you have never lived in North Dakota at any point in your life, they will probably not be interested. They do accept a few students from Montana through the WICHE program, but that is about it for out-of-staters. While rejections suck, rest assured that it probably had nothing to do with your stats.

Quick edit on the reply: They do apparently accept a few Minnesota residents on a very limited basis. However, if they have enough in-state and WICHE applicants, they probably consider very few if any Minnesota residents.

I have my interview here this coming Friday the 18th at 1:30. Anyone else have one coming up or want to post how theirs went?

Good luck all.

Wow, slow thread. Anyone that interviewed 12/11 hear back yet?

Wow, slow thread. Anyone that interviewed 12/11 hear back yet?

The committee doesn't meet to evaluate all candidates for admission until all interview sessions are over. I think everybody should hear by the 14th or 15th of January.

Talked to the admissions office today. They said that all of the applicants were scored and they were processing the results. Should hear from them by the end of the week.

-2.93 cGPA
-3.75 science GPA
-Undergrad Degree is a BS in Social Science and an AS in Aviation Operations, there are a few F's on my undergrad transcript but I retook those classes.
-I did all of my pre-req's after my undergrad
-MCAT 31
-EC's: I have 1 1/2 years direct patient care/work experience as a nurse assistant, rural volunteer experience as an EMT-B, and I've been doing volunteer work with the Red Cross for 4 years. those are my main EC highlights, I have a bit more outside of healthcare.
-I have very well written LORs, 3- a MD, a RN, and a college professor

I have a strong desire to go into primary care and rural medicine. I'm career changing from being a corporate pilot. I really only plan on applying to U of North Dakota.. they're big on instate residency, which I will be a resident for 2 years when I apply.

Please give me advice!! thanks guys!

Accepted! First MD acceptance, so quite a relief! Good to hear you got in as well ilovetea.

Congrats. I'm on the always dreaded waitlist. #12 out of about 40 ND residents. Do any of you know how much movement there is on the waitlist? I'm assuming there isn't much since the class size is limited.

Not really sure, but I'd keep hope alive man. Twelve is not so bad.

I'm also waitlisted. #9 as far as ND residents are concerned. I felt like a knocked my interview out of the park... guess not.

I'm also waitlisted. #9 as far as ND residents are concerned. I felt like a knocked my interview out of the park... guess not.

Last year, they made it down to the 20's overall. I can't remember how far down they got as far as ND residents, but I'd say you're in good shape. Good luck!

A paraphrase of what the Associate Dean of Admissions told me concerning 'alternate list' and some miscellany.
There are 62 spots in the 2010 matriculating class: 7 INMED (Indians in Medicine-must be Native American; no residency requirement), 11 WICHE OR MN residents OR other (non-WICHE/MN rarely if ever happens), 44 ND residents.
They rank all applicants on same alternate list, though WICHE or MN residents can only take spots from WICHE or MN students who decline admission, so a rank of 50 and having ND residency would have an excellent chance of admission if 1-48 are from WICHE/MN.
I did not ask about movement on alternate list concerning WICHE or MN residents.
Last ND alternate admitted in the last five years has ranged from 6 to 15 (not in chronological order: 6, 10, 11, 13, 15).
Good luck everyone!

Just gave up my WICHE seat. Hope it goes to one of your still on the waitlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.