2009-2010 University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Are you a legal resident of South Carolina? If no, list any significant ties to the state of South Carolina (2 1/2 lines)

Have you previously applied to the University of South Carolina School of Medicine? If yes, what additional qualifications do you present at this time in support of this application? (3 lines)

What are your medical practice goals? (2 1/2 lines)

From the Demographic Profile:

Does this application represent a career change? If so, please describe your most recent career. (3 lines)

If it has been more than 6 months since you completed your bachelor's degree, please describe your employment status since that time (half-time, full-time, and dates). (3 lines)

In what region of the country do you want to practice medicine? Why? (3 lines)

What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue? (3 lines)

Do you have any accomplishments or experiences that make you a unique applicant? (3 lines)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
More of my friends decided to go here over MUSC this year, a change from before. Last year's secondary was very light, perfect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice to have you aboard, lol!!

Incredible stats!! The only thing I have you beat in is I am in-state, haha!!

Surprised some school did not let you in last year.:eek:

I went to and graduated from high school at Flora. That's about as close to in-state as an OOSer can get. I used to still have a SC driver's license, plus a permanent address there, but I gave up the driver's license in favor of Colorado when I turned 21. Still have the house out there, though.

I went to and graduated from high school at Flora. That's about as close to in-state as an OOSer can get. I used to still have a SC driver's license, plus a permanent address there, but I gave up the driver's license in favor of Colorado when I turned 21. Still have the house out there, though.

So, what is your number #1 school?

USC-SOM is my first and only since I applied ED!

Hope USC-SOM can get someone as smart as you to come back home!

You definitely have strong ties to SC, lol!!!

So, what is your number #1 school?

Hope USC-SOM can get someone as smart as you to come back home!

You definitely have strong ties to SC, lol!!!

Right now, Colorado, but that's cause my closest family lives there. I imagine it'll change after interviews, but we'll see. USC rejected me last time I applied :rolleyes:

Ugh, hate to see this has to be printed out and mailed in. I'm in Australia this summer, slightly harder to do that here. Oh well, at least it's simple!

J Dubs . . . When did you submit your AMCAS and how long did it take to process? Have you heard when EDP interviews are typically conducted at USC-SoM?

J Dubs . . . When did you submit your AMCAS and how long did it take to process? Have you heard when EDP interviews are typically conducted at USC-SoM?

I believe there's one interview day for the EDP applicants, and it's in the middle of September. I interviewed with them the last time I applied.

I believe there's one interview day for the EDP applicants, and it's in the middle of September. I interviewed with them the last time I applied.

Thanks. Curiously, was it a weekday or a Saturday?

I submitted on 6/5 and it was processed 8hrs later. No lie!! I thought it was supposed to take weeks....

9/16/09 @ 12PM. :xf:

I believe all the interviews are on a Wed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Curiously, was it a weekday or a Saturday?

As J DUB said, all the interviews are on Wednesday. It was interesting, because I easily got out of my Wednesday class to interview, but I had to fly home the next morning and literally got to campus on time to take an exam in my immunology class. I told the interviews that I had a test the next day, and they thought it was funny.

I submitted on 6/5 and it was processed 8hrs later. No lie!! I thought it was supposed to take weeks....

9/16/09 @ 12PM. :xf:

Wow! You already have an interview date? Congrats. How soon did that happen after you submitted your secondary?

just got this secondary.. from oos. do they screen? loooots of little questions that will be annoying to answer. greatttt

Are you a legal resident of South Carolina? If no, list any significant ties to the state of South Carolina (2 1/2 lines)

Have you previously applied to the University of South Carolina School of Medicine? If yes, what additional qualifications do you present at this time in support of this application? (3 lines)

What are your medical practice goals? (2 1/2 lines)

From the Demographic Profile:

Does this application represent a career change? If so, please describe your most recent career. (3 lines)

If it has been more than 6 months since you completed your bachelor's degree, please describe your employment status since that time (half-time, full-time, and dates). (3 lines)

In what region of the country do you want to practice medicine? Why? (3 lines)

What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue? (3 lines)

Do you have any accomplishments or experiences that make you a unique applicant? (3 lines)

Any current USC students on here who know of an OOS student being accepted without strong ties to the state? Not sure if I should bother with the secondary. My grandparents lived there, and now an Aunt & Uncle are there. Oh, and I bought my Civic from Hilton Head when I lived near Savannah. I doubt those qualify as strong ties. :)

Have they sent out secondaries for out-of-state students yet?

Ugh, hate to see this has to be printed out and mailed in. I'm in Australia this summer, slightly harder to do that here. Oh well, at least it's simple!
Damn, just realized I can't even fax this in. Everything - information form, demographic form, payment - has to be mailed in to their office. Of the 8 secondaries I've received so far, only the two SC schools require something you can't submit online, and even then, MUSC allows you to fax in the demographics form.

Price you pay for getting to answer such easy questions?

Hey everyone...

I haven't received any kind of email confirmation from USC, although my AMCAS application was verified several weeks ago.

Does this mean I was screened out, or does Univ. South Carolina take several weeks to process a verified AMCAS application and submit secondary invites?

just submitted my app...hope i get a secondary..id be surprised if i didnt being from SC and all.

Is there any way to type on the form or did you guys print it up then hand write it??

You have to handwrite it.

Actually, you don't, if you have a program that allows you to write on PDFs. I did that a couple years ago, but I've gone through a couple computers since then and didn't want to bother trying to find a freeware to do it. So, I just handwrote it. My handwriting isn't that horrendous.

Would your uncle (mother's brother), aunt, and some cousins living in SC enough to be considered significant ties?

Congrats, me too! I'll be there on 9/23

I got a letter in the mail today saying they received my application and payment. They say they're waiting on my letters, but since those were made available to them before they even sent out the secondary, I'm assuming I'm complete now.

I got a letter in the mail today saying they received my application and payment. They say they're waiting on my letters, but since those were made available to them before they even sent out the secondary, I'm assuming I'm complete now.

I got that too, which is weird because the check hasn't posted to my account yet.

So, a recap for those of you keeping score at home:

Stritch: Takes your money before giving you the secondary.
USC: Interview invite before taking your money.

I sent in my primary at last tuesday 9 PM and got my sec the next day at 2 PM. I did ED, so I just need to fill out the sec which looks pretty easy. I just need to finish getting LOR. I don't think I am going to have more than 1 science professors though... this career change, non-science major, time lag, and huge survey classes make it hard to get letters.

J DUB, sfwusc, and other EDP applicants: Did the secondary you filled out mention EDP at all? All of the dates on the secondary I downloaded are in reference to regular decision applicants...

J DUB, sfwusc, and other EDP applicants: Did the secondary you filled out mention EDP at all? All of the dates on the secondary I downloaded are in reference to regular decision applicants...

I noticed the same thing. I haven't sent mine in yet either. I still don't have all the LOR lined up. It seems like I asked some folks that aren't on top of things.

I haven't received anything either - not even a confirmation that I applied at all. I am OOS, and I have pending second-shot MCAT scores... But shouldn't they tell me SOMETHING??

I noticed the same thing. I haven't sent mine in yet either. I still don't have all the LOR lined up. It seems like I asked some folks that aren't on top of things.

I do not remember. I was complete back in early July. I think you have to have everything there by 8/15 for ED.

I just asked about 7 people for LORs so enough would do it so I could have the three required.

I haven't received anything either - not even a confirmation that I applied at all. I am OOS, and I have pending second-shot MCAT scores... But shouldn't they tell me SOMETHING??
The first contact I received from them was the email sending me to their secondary download, so I don't think you should expect a confirmation.

Okay, so then I won't hear anything from them until after my second set of scores are released in September... I almost wish I hadn't checked that button on the AMCAS and just sent them my updated scores when I got them! But I was afraid I'd be screened out of a lot of places with my 27R MCAT the first go 'round...

Haven't even started the secondary yet and received an invite for n interview 10/7 - anyone else going that day?

hey man congrats -

when were you offered the interview? you probably had very high stats:)

hey man congrats -

when were you offered the interview? you probably had very high stats:)

Primary was verified on 7/28, secondary was received 8/4, interview offer on 8/5 - and thanks! I think it was more the in state thing though.

I got my interview invite today. It's scheduled for 10/21, but I'm seeing if they'll let me move it a week forward or a week back. Guess I'll see tomorrow.

Just got the OOS interview invite.

:luck: everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.