2009-2010 East Tennessee University (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

1) What characteristics or abilities do you possess that you believe will most contribute to your success as a physician?

2) As the profession of medicine demands physical, intellectual, and emotional commitment, what have you done in your life to demonstrate dedication to the achievement of a life objective?

3) QCOM is recognized as a leader in primary healthcare education and some of our students choose QCOM for that reason. Other than that as a motivation, what is your rationale for applying to QCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This does not seem to be a very popular thread. I'll be the first to say my fingers are crossed for my local medical school! :love:

Watch out! They like to waitlist and reject people with high MCAT scores (out of spite, likely).

Just kidding.

They just put a 99% emphasis on rural medicine, and 1% on everything else (including MCAT ).

I go to school in TN and I've only heard of people below 30 getting accepted there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Watch out! They like to waitlist and reject people with high MCAT scores (out of spite, likely).

Just kidding.

They just put a 99% emphasis on rural medicine, and 1% on everything else (including MCAT ).

I go to school in TN and I've only heard of people below 30 getting accepted there.

Oh I know the school well. There are plenty 30+ getting in according to the MDapps profiles. Good thing I am in for rural medicine huh? :D

It would be pretty convenient for me to not have to move.

With those stats and that outlook, just show up to your interview and you're in med school, my friend! :thumbup:

Woohoo for Quillen! I guess it's kind of like my "home-town" med school since its not too far from me (and my little brother is going to ETSU next year).

I definitely hope they don't reject people with MCAT scores higher than 30! Mine isn't that great, but it's higher than 30. I really like Quillen as well! haha

Woohoo for Quillen! I guess it's kind of like my "home-town" med school since its not too far from me (and my little brother is going to ETSU next year).

I definitely hope they don't reject people with MCAT scores higher than 30! Mine isn't that great, but it's higher than 30. I really like Quillen as well! haha

Unless you just BOMB the interview, I can't see you being turned down from Quillen or UTMem.

Unless you just BOMB the interview, I can't see you being turned down from Quillen or UTMem.

Thank you for the comment Philly. I certainly hope you're right; you sound a lot like my significant other who is telling me I will get in somewhere, haha. I, however, prefer to remain pessimistic so that I can be suprised or at least not feel too bad when I get the big rejection letter.

On another note, has anyone had trouble sending in the application fee through credit/debit online? It says my card number or expiration date is invalid, which I know isn't true cuz I checked it.

Last edited:
Has anyone that has sent all their info in got an email saying they were complete? I've had all my stuff in since Monday, and I called to make sure they recieved my letters (which they had). Does anyone know if they'll send us an email saying we're complete or will the first email we hear be if they are offering an interview or rejecting us?

Taadaa!

1) What characteristics or abilities do you possess that you believe will most contribute to your success as a physician?

2) As the profession of medicine demands physical, intellectual, and emotional commitment, what have you done in your life to demonstrate dedication to the achievement of a life objective?

3) QCOM is recognized as a leader in primary healthcare education and some of our students choose QCOM for that reason. Other than that as a motivation, what is your rationale for applying to QCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads-up for anyone doing this secondary: the "Save and Exit" button would not work for me. I usually write the essays in Word and copy and paste, but for some reason on this one I decided to just type it directly into the text box. I did one of the essays, decided to take a break and go eat dinner, so I hit the "Save and Exit" button. When I got back and reopened the app, there was NOTHING in the text box. Perhaps I didn't do it right or something, just wanted to let people know that it would probably be best to save it elsewhere, too :).

Just a heads-up for anyone doing this secondary: the "Save and Exit" button would not work for me. I usually write the essays in Word and copy and paste, but for some reason on this one I decided to just type it directly into the text box. I did one of the essays, decided to take a break and go eat dinner, so I hit the "Save and Exit" button. When I got back and reopened the app, there was NOTHING in the text box. Perhaps I didn't do it right or something, just wanted to let people know that it would probably be best to save it elsewhere, too :).

yeah, that happened to me. Luckily I had my essays saved on word. When do you all think we can expect an interview invite at the earliest? I completed my secondary but I have not send in my letters. I will probably have them sent by end of August because my does not send the composite in summer.:(

I'm "on hold for receipt of MCAT scores" here at ETSU. :( Story of my life. Any idea how far back this is going to put me? My scores come out Sept 1.

I'm "on hold for receipt of MCAT scores" here at ETSU. :( Story of my life. Any idea how far back this is going to put me? My scores come out Sept 1.
not too much, I think. I sent my secondary but I am on hold for lettter of recommendations until September.

You are from Birmingham, AL! I applied to UAB as OOS. Not sure what chances I have.

not too much, I think. I sent my secondary but I am on hold for lettter of recommendations until September.

When did you submit your secondary? It said we should have everything into them (letter and secondary) within 21 days from when we got the secondary email, so my letter is due Aug. 20th. I haven't gotten anything from them since that secondary invite email, though.

When did you submit your secondary? It said we should have everything into them (letter and secondary) within 21 days from when we got the secondary email, so my letter is due Aug. 20th. I haven't gotten anything from them since that secondary invite email, though.
wow. You got a secondary without your MCAT scores? I sent mine about a week ago.

wow. You got a secondary without your MCAT scores? I sent mine about a week ago.

No, I took the MCAT in May so I already had my scores on my AMCAS app back in June; I think you got me confused with the other poster. I'm just waiting on my committee letter to get submitted to AMCAS...a couple of my professors are taking their sweet time with my rec letters :annoyed:.

Still waiting for this secondary. :(

Are you IS or OOS? Here are my dates if that helps any (I'm IS, by the way):

AMCAS verified: July 15
ETSU confirmation email: 7/22
ETSU secondary invite email: 7/30

Yes I am instate. My primary was verified early June but held for an mcat score.

I'm in-state as well (ETSU is my home institution, even) and I am still on hold pending MCAT scores. I took it in June and my scores were released on July 21st. Haven't heard anything from ETSU or UT-Memphis.

Well, if you're talking about me, I haven't gotten a secondary... I took the MCAT in May, got my scores, and submitted my AMCAS. But I re-took the MCAT in July, so because I indicated on my AMCAS that I was re-taking, they said they would hold my application until they got my scores. Bummer, huh?

You are from Birmingham, AL! I applied to UAB as OOS. Not sure what chances I have.

And, yes! Well, technically, I'm from Georgia. But I've been in school in AL for 3 years. UAB will likely be just as tough on me as they'll be on you for being OOS. They don't take too kindly to foreigners. Lol. But it's a great school, and you did the right thing by applying! Good luck. :)

I'm in-state as well (ETSU is my home institution, even) and I am still on hold pending MCAT scores. I took it in June and my scores were released on July 21st. Haven't heard anything from ETSU or UT-Memphis.

I don't think anyone has heard anything from UT-Memphis yet aside from the confirmation letter after they received the AMCAS stuff. I don't know anything about being on hold, though, sorry. Good luck with it, though:xf:.

Same home institution, same MCAT release date and same outcome from both ETSU and UT-Memphis. Weird. :thumbup:

Anyone know how difficult the pre-secondary screen is for OOS?

I received the Quillen secondary today. Hope it came to you too Dondums.

Good luck to everyone! I've been complete at ETSU since July 21, and I haven't heard anything. Hopefully it won't be too long!

Good luck to everyone! I've been complete at ETSU since July 21, and I haven't heard anything. Hopefully it won't be too long!

If it makes you feel better, I have been complete since July 22 at ETSU and have yet to hear anything else. I am IS and was waitlisted here last year. I actually just got an email today saying that the class is complete for Fall 2009 but I doubt being on last year's waitlist would hold up this year's application process.

Those of you that have heard, are any of you applying early decision? I figure they'd probably be trying to get to those students first. I applied regular.

We are pleased to inform you of the receipt of all supplementary information as requested including the payment of the $50.00 supplementary application fee. This material is being reviewed and you may expect to hear from us soon.

Hopefully hearing from you via email and not snail mail. :laugh:

Did you get that complete email after your LORs were in? I finished the rest of the secondary and paid, but I haven't gotten a complete email yet. I'm still waiting on my LOR to get sent in, so that may be why.

My letters have been up on AMCAS for awhile so I was the limiting factor in my application with the secondary submission. I bet the email comes after they have everything. No worries!

My LOR were sent in on Monday and that completed my file. I got an email yesterday from Quillen COM saying that my supplemental application was complete and I should be hearing from them shortly.

Has anyone gotten a secondary from UT?

Turns out one of my letter writers just turned in their letter yesterday, so I'm stuck waiting until late next week for my LOR to be put onto AMCAS :annoyed:. I got the UT secondary on Monday (it was in my spam filter), by the way.

Turns out one of my letter writers just turned in their letter yesterday, so I'm stuck waiting until late next week for my LOR to be put onto AMCAS :annoyed:. I got the UT secondary on Monday (it was in my spam filter), by the way.

I haven't received that one yet. I'm hoping I won't end up with a letter in the mail from them soon. :eek:

I haven't received that one yet. I'm hoping I won't end up with a letter in the mail from them soon. :eek:

Yeah me too. :xf:

Is it normally pretty hard to get in OOS at UTmem? My dad has lived in TN for 2 years but I'm not sure if I will be able to get IS in TN or AL.

OOS at UTmemphis is VERY hard. You have to have really good connections like a legacy

I just sent in my application and fee tonight, and my LOR was sent in to AMCAS about two weeks ago. My supplemental app is due in on 8/20, so did I make the deadline?

I'm a little paranoid that I'm missing something, because I didn't print anything out or send anything in by U.S. mail. (They tell you that you need a computer with a printer, but I didn't think that I needed to print anything out.) My LOR is from a committee like they want, but was there some special form that needed to be sent in?

My deadline is 8/20 as well, but thanks to one of my letter writers, my committee letter won't be put on AMCAS until next week sometime...will I just get put on hold until they receive the letter or what?? :scared:

My deadline is 8/20 as well, but thanks to one of my letter writers, my committee letter won't be put on AMCAS until next week sometime...will I just get put on hold until they receive the letter or what?? :scared:

You should just call up there and ask one of the ladies in admissions. They were really nice and helpful with my questions as I did the secondary. Feel free to ask them when folks might know about their status as well! :smuggrin::D

I just sent in my application and fee tonight, and my LOR was sent in to AMCAS about two weeks ago. My supplemental app is due in on 8/20, so did I make the deadline?

I'm a little paranoid that I'm missing something, because I didn't print anything out or send anything in by U.S. mail. (They tell you that you need a computer with a printer, but I didn't think that I needed to print anything out.) My LOR is from a committee like they want, but was there some special form that needed to be sent in?

Sounds like you should be fine

Woohoo! Recieved an interview invite today. :D:D:D
Check your email folks!

I got one too. Mine is scheduled for September 9th, yours?

You guys are killing me...I sent the secondary back the day I received it, but I can't seem to get the pre-health professions advisory office to upload my LOR :mad:. I wasn't too worried about it until I saw that they're already sending out interview invites.

I haven't even received a secondary from them yet, if that makes you feel any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.