2009-2010 Texas Tech Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

As a medical school that is focused on primary care with some emphasis on rural health, we are interested in the areas our applicants are considering of practicing. Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest. Please list them individually in a bulleted format in the text box provided below. If you are interested in something other than primary care, please indicate your interest in the OTHER category. Also, all applicants must answer Question #2.

5. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (hometown)?

6. Please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, speciality, who would be your patients, etc.)

7. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a medical school that is focused on primary care with some emphasis on rural health, we are interested in the areas our applicants are considering of practicing. Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest. Please list them individually in a bulleted format in the text box provided below. If you are interested in something other than primary care, please indicate your interest in the OTHER category. Also, all applicants must answer Question #2.

5. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (hometown)?

6. Please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, speciality, who would be your patients, etc.)

7. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities?

Application fee is $50. no fee waiver available.

This is on my list of applications to finish this weekend.... I'm getting anxious that I'm falling behind and everyone else has everything all finished up already! Scary!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is on my list of applications to finish this weekend.... I'm getting anxious that I'm falling behind and everyone else has everything all finished up already! Scary!

Relax! Not everyone is finished with their secondaries, it's only July! Some people haven't even submitted primaries, you have no reason to worry. Just get them done in a timely manner.

lol I haven't even start looking at it.

lol... me too, I'm not gonna worry about it until after i retake my mcat

well the secondary's not too bad anyway, shouldn't take more than a day to finish once you guys get around to it

how long should the secondary essays be?? proximately how many words?? thanks.

Thanks for all the encouragement.... I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who hasn't submitted this secondary yet! Has anyone applied here in previous years? Does anyone know when they starting interviewing?

I just submitted my secondary today! I kept my essays short. They may be a little too short, but I figured if I could fully answer the question without a lot of fluff then I should. I think they were somewhere between 200 - 300 words.

I just saw someone on SDN who applied to the Texas schools with a 3.27 GPA and a 28 MCAT, and published research, but no volunteer who didn't get in last year.... phew that makes me nervous!

Thanks for all the encouragement.... I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who hasn't submitted this secondary yet! Has anyone applied here in previous years? Does anyone know when they starting interviewing?

I just received an invitation to interview on August 7th. I turned my apps in pretty early, so I am guessing it's one of the first slots.

I just received an invitation to interview on August 7th. I turned my apps in pretty early, so I am guessing it's one of the first slots.

WOW! Congratulations! That's awesome.... when was your TMDSAS application complete and sent? Even if you interview early, you still won't know about acceptance until the first rolling admissions cycle in November though right?

Congratulations! Did you get any email confirmation that your application was complete? Was there anything on their status website that said you were under Review or anything like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW! Congratulations! That's awesome.... when was your TMDSAS application complete and sent? Even if you interview early, you still won't know about acceptance until the first rolling admissions cycle in November though right?

Thank you. I submitted my TMDSAS application on May 21st and shortly after that the secondaries. You are correct, the earliest acceptance anyone in state and a non early acceptance applicant can receive is mid November.

Thank you. I submitted my TMDSAS application on May 21st and shortly after that the secondaries.

That is early! Did their status webpage indicate in any way you were complete or under review? My "under review" still has an exclamation mark (no status), I was hoping if I was complete that would have updated...so I am worried they may not think I am complete?

Congratulations! Did you get any email confirmation that your application was complete? Was there anything on their status website that said you were under Review or anything like that?

I know the admissions staff probably hates this, but I emailed them asking if my application was complete (primary, secondary, secondary fee).

That is early! Did their status webpage indicate in any way you were complete or under review? My "under review" still has an exclamation mark (no status), I was hoping if I was complete that would have updated...so I am worried they may not think I am complete?

So I looked at my secondary page and there are green checks by "Fees and other charges" , " Forms", "application packet submit", and next to "Fall 2010." The other tabs "applicant status review", " interview scheduling", and "admissions offer" all have and i next to them

So I looked at my secondary page and there are green checks by "Fees and other charges" , " Forms", "application packet submit", and next to "Fall 2010." The other tabs "applicant status review", " interview scheduling", and "admissions offer" all have and i next to them

Thanks for posting this! Good to know, that is where I am at too, I wasn't sure because the "applicant status review" had an i whether or not I was complete.

Your MD Apps said you were accepted at Northwestern, do you mind my asking what happened there?

Good luck guys! Don't freak about getting your secondary in! I got mine in around July 10th last year and didn't get my MCAT score til mid-September. I emailed Ms. Prado in late October and got an interview within a few hours (I am OOS btw)... interviewed in early Nov and was accepted during the first batch of acceptances. As long as you interview by mid November there isn't a huge advantage. The adcom meets right after you interview (while you are on the tour) and decides then who gets acceptances, rankings, rejections, etc... but then you have to wait til mid November to get any info.

I was so happy that I didn't have to worry about the result of the interview from early Aug until November 15th.

Again good luck- feel free to PM me if you have questions or post them here... I will try to check the thread as much as possible.

Good luck guys! Don't freak about getting your secondary in! I got mine in around July 10th last year and didn't get my MCAT score til mid-September. I emailed Ms. Prado in late October and got an interview within a few hours (I am OOS btw)... interviewed in early Nov and was accepted during the first batch of acceptances. As long as you interview by mid November there isn't a huge advantage. The adcom meets right after you interview (while you are on the tour) and decides then who gets acceptances, rankings, rejections, etc... but then you have to wait til mid November to get any info.

Again good luck- feel free to PM me if you have questions or post them here... I will try to check the thread as much as possible.

Wow Congrats! That's awesome..I hope that in a few months I will be able to write a success story too!
I was just nervous about that essays, I feel like I'm spending too much time writing them, the two that are giving me problems are the ones about your favorite leisure activity and the one about what you like/dislike about ur hometown. The latter is giving me more of problem, can I talk about something like my hometown's sports teams (Cowboys and Mavs all the way!!) or do they want something more like...i dunno...medically related????

Wow Congrats! That's awesome..I hope that in a few months I will be able to write a success story too!
I was just nervous about that essays, I feel like I'm spending too much time writing them, the two that are giving me problems are the ones about your favorite leisure activity and the one about what you like/dislike about ur hometown. The latter is giving me more of problem, can I talk about something like my hometown's sports teams (Cowboys and Mavs all the way!!) or do they want something more like...i dunno...medically related????

I received my invitation to interview on August 7th and I didn't write about anything medically related in those two essays. I just gave my honest answer about what I would say if anyone asked me those questions. IMO i think that's the best thing to do because it will be most natural for you to talk about in the interview, rather than to force something you think they'll want to hear.

hah yeah i wrote about how my town is building a stupid "overpass to nowhere". i think i may have gone on too much about that..... but it pisses me off anway! Had nothing medically related in mine (at least the two you were asking about)

Has anybody had trouble paying the secondary fee with credit card? It keeps coming up with the error that my address doesn't match...but it is the correct address. It is unclear as to whether they just want just the number and street name, or if they want the city and state included on that line. I've tried multiple times with different formats, and no dice.

Who all's interviewing on August 7th? What are some cheap, nearby places to stay at? Do they have student hosts?:eek:

yeah i think all of that information should have been in the email they sent you. they give a good list of cheap hotels and apparently also have student hosts.

i'll be there on august 7th! :D

Received invite to interview via email today. Will be there on 8/14. Looks like I'm on the second string! Just happy to be playing! :soexcited:

THe essay topics you gave are newn to me... neither were on last years application but based on my interview experience I would say write about what you really enjoy and not just medical. My interviewers and I discussed my international travels, sports, growing up in TX (I moved when I was 15 so there were several questions about why would I want to come back), and even my family. They really just want to see you beyond your numbers. Be honest and you will be surprised! Yes you might get the health care questions at interviews but I found if you are interesting sometimes the interviewers don't get to those ;)

Hey guys- Tech does have student host. All I know is they sent out an email with the application for students to host and I know several people in the class were on it. Our lectures start next Tuesday/Wednesday so the 2nd years who are running the host program are just getting back into town from all their summer adventures.

I'll be there on August 7th as well. Didn't get a packet in the mail, just the email. Had to reschedule another interview for that same date, that made me a little nervous, but it worked out ok I think.

I'll be there on August 7th as well. Didn't get a packet in the mail, just the email. Had to reschedule another interview for that same date, that made me a little nervous, but it worked out ok I think.

I too will be there on the 7th and also inquired about not receiving a packet. I don't believe they send out an information packet like other schools do. Just save the email they sent you offering you an interview. I think it tells when and where to show up. From there you will be fine.

interview tomorrow. holy crap im nervous.

interview tomorrow. holy crap im nervous.

Good luck!!

Are you staying with a student host? I filled out the request form, but have yet to hear anything. Just wondering about when I should get concerned.

Good luck!!

Are you staying with a student host? I filled out the request form, but have yet to hear anything. Just wondering about when I should get concerned.

Thanks. No im not, I live in lubbock (i am a tech student) I dont even remember seeing info about staying with a student host

Best of luck guys. Tomorrow's going to be a funnnnn day.

anyone else bringing like a folder to keep paperwork and stuff in, or am i gonna be the only super nerd there?

I'll be bringing something like that next week! Maybe I'll be next week's super nerd.

Going to call the office tomorrow to inquire about my student host. Good luck all, and don't forget to report back!

Hey guys- just wanted to let you know that at Tech they give you a little expandable padfolio with all the info you will need and it has a writing pad in it so if you don't want to bring a padfolio you don't need to! They did this last year for my interview and I saw the first group of interviewees running around with them today.

Let me know if anyone has any Tech questions!

wow tech was awesome. im totally floored. i think the interviews went well, they were all really nice. i hope they let me go here

wow tech was awesome. im totally floored. i think the interviews went well, they were all really nice. i hope they let me go here
Meerkat could you go a little more in depth about how everything was? I have an interview on the 8/21 and I am curious as to what to expect.

Meerkat could you go a little more in depth about how everything was? I have an interview on the 8/21 and I am curious as to what to expect.

the first part of the morning was kind of a meet and greet with some of the older students, second and third years. this went on for about half an hour, then they took us to a big lecture hall where they gave some presentations on curriculum, financial aid, student affairs etc. they fed uslunch, then we interviewed. everyone was really nice there, it was a really laid back atmosphere, and i wouldnt worry much (even though i did, but it was my first interview.) i had a blast, we took a tour at the end too. they really seem like they are in it to help you become a successful doctor. great staff.

Interviewed MDMBA here. Folks in Lubbock are really chill. They definitely care more about you as a person than about your gpa and MCAT. Overall, the tech interview is very relaxed and it's easy to get to your interviews. All of the second-years were extremely helpful in answering questions.

Yeah, probably my best interview experience I've ever had. Good school, great students and faculty. 100% Step 1 pass rate the last two years.

For those who have interviews, relax and just be yourself. They definitely want to see your personality.

Excellent stuff to hear...thanks to everyone for reporting back. I'll be in town this week-so is there any need to bring something to carry papers in? Or was the thing they gave you sufficient?

Excellent stuff to hear...thanks to everyone for reporting back. I'll be in town this week-so is there any need to bring something to carry papers in? Or was the thing they gave you sufficient?

nah, youre good. dont bring anything but your best suit. if you can get anything that isnt black, do it. everyone wore black except me (it felt like). i though i was at a funeral, there was no originality.

Status
Not open for further replies.