2009-2010 University of New Mexico Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the secondary app is like?

Is *anybody* applying here? Send me the secondary prompt so I can update it on the first post and the secondary application thread. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So it looks like not many people are applying here, but I just interviewed last thursday and will share my experiences.

There were two one on one interviews. One with a doctor, one with an MS4. Both were laid back. They had a list of questions to ask, but the interviews were fairly conversational.

Then I went on tour with 3 med students and 1 other applicant (fairly good ratio :D ). The admissions office gave us a $7 meal ticket for the cafeteria. All the med students seemed very happy to be there and excited about medicine. Facilities seemed nice, but this was my first interview so I don't have much to compare it to yet.

The only thing I hate is that they do not let you know about acceptance/rejection until march :rolleyes:

The only thing I hate is that they do not let you know about acceptance/rejection until march :rolleyes:

not unless they really like you, then you will hear from them in december or January.

Shoot me a line if you got any questions about the school.

Also, if you guys PM me, I think I still have the secondary App questions somewhere.

not unless they really like you, then you will hear from them in december or January.

Shoot me a line if you got any questions about the school.

Also, if you guys PM me, I think I still have the secondary App questions somewhere.

Really? I did not know about that. The MSAR says earliest date is in march. Is that some sort of early notification program or something?

Ryan

Really? I did not know about that. The MSAR says earliest date is in march. Is that some sort of early notification program or something?

Ryan

Yeah, they have been doing this unofficially since as far as I can remember (I think 8-10 students are notified early every year). Also, keep your eyes open for and ask about the full tuition scholarship. I didn't know about it before I applied and was very fortunate to receive one of the three they offer every year.

Good luck and I hope you get the best out of this application season.

Take care,

There were two one on one interviews. One with a doctor, one with an MS4. Both were laid back. They had a list of questions to ask, but the interviews were fairly conversational.

Then I went on tour with 3 med students and 1 other applicant (fairly good ratio :D ). The admissions office gave us a $7 meal ticket for the cafeteria. All the med students seemed very happy to be there and excited about medicine. Facilities seemed nice, but this was my first interview so I don't have much to compare it to yet.

Thanks for the info. I'm applying to UNM for this cycle but I'm submitting my application late (this week) because I was out of the country for most of the summer.

How long did it take for you to get secondaries from when you submitted your AMCAS?

Thanks for the info. I'm applying to UNM for this cycle but I'm submitting my application late (this week) because I was out of the country for most of the summer.

How long did it take for you to get secondaries from when you submitted your AMCAS?

Their secondary came out really late, I got it on Aug 14th. I believe they send secondaries to everyone in-state, and interview pretty much everyone in-state.

I have the 09-10 MSAR and it says 210 in-state applied and 190 interviewed. Those few that did not get interviewed probably had something severly wrong with their application.

If you are in-state, you have a very good shot at getting an interview even applying this late. If you are out of state, I would almost say don't bother, unless you have very good stats and a reason to apply there. They only accept ~4% OOS.

Oh and if it means anything, I submitted my primaries the first day possible in early June and was verified the first day possible early in July as well.

Ok, thanks for the info. I am a resident of NM and just submitted my app today.

We'll see what happens, fingers crossed.

I just got my secondaries. I was wondering though, for the activities section, do they just want me to repeat what I already wrote under for the AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what UNM considers "having strong ties to New Mexico," as this is what is required to apply as an out of stater. I worked as a pharmacist for IHS and lived in Gallup for 12 months in 07-08. Do you think this would qualify? I'd really love to come back to NM!

I heard there was a small wave that went out in december and another bigger one going out this month - anyone hear anything about this??

They are planning on another wave of acceptances next week.

I talked to admissions last week and they said they were meeting today for the wave going out next week. They also said that all official decisions are by snail mail - no phone or email.

haha so glad to know someone else looks at this. I guess I'll stop checking the mailbox for a bit if they just met...

They are/have sent out 7, yes only 7, acceptances this week...

They are/have sent out 7, yes only 7, acceptances this week...

It would sure be nice to know if I need to be excited for tomorrow or worried about the empty box today. ha. Waiting stinks. Sometimes it would be better to not know if acceptances are coming out. Then I could just be pleasantly surprised if a letter comes.

Last edited:
I was invited to interview and had a blast. Hope I am accepted!

Just got this email from UNM.

"The UNM School of Medicine Office of Admissions would like to thank you for applying for the 2010 Entering Class. We have sent out all of the rolling admissions acceptances for this year and are currently in the process of making our final decisions for the 2010 Entering Class. All final decisions will be sent out on Monday, March 15th by mail. Please log into the UNM School of Medicine Secondary Application website at http://som.unm.edu to update your contact information, if necessary. If you do not receive any correspondence from us by March 24th, call our office at 505-272-4766 and we will resend your letter. Please contact us if you have any other questions."

Does anyone know how many acceptances they sent out already in their rolling phase? Good luck on the 15th everyone!

I received the same email. What does it mean they already "sent out all of the rolling admissions acceptances for this year" AND they will send out all all final decisions on March 15? So are all the decisions sent out already or are they coming after the 15th?

I received the same email. What does it mean they already "sent out all of the rolling admissions acceptances for this year" AND they will send out all all final decisions on March 15? So are all the decisions sent out already or are they coming after the 15th?

Got the same email.

They are mailing out all final decisions on the 15th.

I just got a background request email from AMCAS saying a school I applied to is requesting a background check - UNM is the only one left!

Does this = accepted?

I just got a background request email from AMCAS saying a school I applied to is requesting a background check - UNM is the only one left!

Does this = accepted?

I got it too... I'm feeling prematurely excited that it does = accepted!

Just called and they said they only request background checks on accepted - NOT waitlists!!

So I already had the background check done through another school so I did not receive the email again. Is there a way I can check and see if UNM requested a check also?

Just called and they said they only request background checks on accepted - NOT waitlists!!

This seems to be the case.. I talked to a friend who was waitlisted last year and heard no such thing...

I'm so hesitant to take it to = acceptance! Some school do perform it for waitlists.

This seems to be the case.. I talked to a friend who was waitlisted last year and heard no such thing...

I'm so hesitant to take it to = acceptance! Some school do perform it for waitlists.

Yeah same here...
I'm reserving the rest of my excitement until i (hopefully) have the letter in hand

i live an hour away from unm, where is my letter?! i hate the wait...

A NO-GO for me after 3 times. I've done everything they've asked for and more. I'm not sure what else I can do. :confused: Good luck to everyone else :thumbup: I got my letter today.

has anyone received the email from Certiphi Screening, Inc. about background check yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.