2009-2010 University of South Dakota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone PM me the secondary prompt so I can update it on the first post? Thanks.

Or... is nobody at all applying here... :shrug:

damn. maybe I should apply here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got their secondary last week. They require your letter writers to add an additional evaluation which sucks.

1. Given the mission of the school please justify why you should be accepted for admittance.
2. Describe the type of medical practice you envision for yourself in 10-15 years.
3. Describe how your experiences in healthcare or social care will help you become a good physician.
4. Briefly describe a crisis situation in your life, how you worked through the crisis and what you learned from this experience.
5. Describe your career plans in the event that you are not accepted into medical school:
a) This year
b) After several applications

Am I seriously the only one that applied here?

I just got their secondary last week. They require your letter writers to add an additional evaluation which sucks.

1. Given the mission of the school please justify why you should be accepted for admittance.
2. Describe the type of medical practice you envision for yourself in 10-15 years.
3. Describe how your experiences in healthcare or social care will help you become a good physician.
4. Briefly describe a crisis situation in your life, how you worked through the crisis and what you learned from this experience.
5. Describe your career plans in the event that you are not accepted into medical school:
a) This year
b) After several applications

Am I seriously the only one that applied here?

LOL....#5 is just plain MEAN!!! :laugh:

The silence makes this thread hilarious!

But seriously, South Dakota is such a sweet state. I wish this school was located in Rapid City. That part of the state is easily the best.

Reactions: 1 user
The silence makes this thread hilarious!

But seriously, South Dakota is such a sweet state. I wish this school was located in Rapid City. That part of the state is easily the best.

well after reading question #5...silence is expected!

I totally applied here. And question #5? How is that difficult? I'm confused.

a) reapply, duh. get more experience, retake mcats, whatever.
b) be a genetic counselor. still gives me the opportunity to help those in need while allowing me to use my science/health care background.

A+

Not that anyone else seemed to apply here, but I got an interview October 9th! WOOT!

I'm interviewing here October 19th too. They were very accomodating!

Well it's probably not too hard for them to accommodate the 12 applicants. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup! I'm driving in from Chicago next week for an interview. Should be interesting -- they have me interviewing with 3 PhD's and then 3 MD's. :D

Yup! I'm driving in from Chicago next week for an interview. Should be interesting -- they have me interviewing with 3 PhD's and then 3 MD's. :D

Pretty awesome having the school's entire faculty interview you ;)

ha, I should have applied but the whole "Must have strong ties to SD" thing wasn't happening.

Pretty awesome having the school's entire faculty interview you ;)

hahaha, I forgot to mention that I also meet with the secretary (20 minute check-in? maybe she just wants to finally meet with me after chatting through email for a few weeks), student (tour), financial adviser (tution is 75k a year oh lord), and the dean of programl!

I thought meeting with 6 interviewers was normal if you are considering the MD/PhD track?

hahaha, I forgot to mention that I also meet with the secretary (20 minute check-in? maybe she just wants to finally meet with me after chatting through email for a few weeks), student (tour), financial adviser (tution is 75k a year oh lord), and the dean of programl!

I thought meeting with 6 interviewers was normal if you are considering the MD/PhD track?

I met with one M.D. in Sioux Falls and one PhD in Vermillion. I'm only on the M.D. track, but I don't think the 6 interviews is probably that weird for the M.D./PhD track because of the limited spots. Anyway...good luck with the interview. If you have any questions, PM me. I'm from SD originally, and I want SOME OOSers in my class (if I get in).

Got acceptance letter yesterday!

To quote Peter from Family Guy: Now I can do what I planned to do this morning: gladiator mice!

Anyone know of good housing links for Vermillion? I'm from Sioux Falls, but at an OOS college

that's awesome! i hope I get accepted :D

when did you guys interview ??????

I interviewed on Oct 26th. I think they had their first AdCom meeting in mid November, and sent out a few acceptances after that. They inferred that they wouldn't fill the class on a rolling admissions basis, but would only accept a certain amount of students before the end of the interview process, and then review the remaining applications for acceptance.

Dang, I just thought I'd check out this post because I did my undergrad at USD but decided to move away to Colorado and try school out there, but it seems nobody wanted to apply there! Haha not sure if I know a lot but if anybody needs anything I could maybe help? I know some people there!

Hey guys, I'm an MS2 at USD. If you have any questions I'd be willing to help out.

Duke congrats on your acceptance.

Got acceptance letter yesterday!

To quote Peter from Family Guy: Now I can do what I planned to do this morning: gladiator mice!

Anyone know of good housing links for Vermillion? I'm from Sioux Falls, but at an OOS college
Hey Duke this is a good site: http://www.vermillionapartments.com/

Also, hopefully when the spring comes the student sites will have some places for rent in the classifieds. I'll send you a link to that as it gets updated.

I interviewed here and got put on the "pending" status. I was told I won't hear for certain until February. Does anyone know how likely/unlikely it is to be accepted here from pending status? thanks!

I interviewed here and got put on the "pending" status. I was told I won't hear for certain until February. Does anyone know how likely/unlikely it is to be accepted here from pending status? thanks!
Hi Dry Bones,

I wouldn't worry too much about the "Pending" status. The way that the admissions works at this school is a kind of rolling admissions.

In November, the committee looks at all of the current applicants (if you interviewed before the month of November). At that time, they give acceptances to a couple of the "sure thing" students and put everyone else in a pending pile until March (if you heard February maybe they changed it). I believe in January they do the same thing again for applicants who interviewed in November and December. Then in March (or I guess February this year), they look at the whole group of applicants and send out the majority of the acceptance letters, and create the waiting list.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Hey Duke this is a good site: http://www.vermillionapartments.com/

Also, hopefully when the spring comes the student sites will have some places for rent in the classifieds. I'll send you a link to that as it gets updated.

Thanks for the link Slants. Seems like housing isn't terribly expensive in Vermillion. Good to know! I'm curious, but did you do research at the Med school during the summer prior to matriculation? That program sounds intriguing...

Thanks for the link Slants. Seems like housing isn't terribly expensive in Vermillion. Good to know! I'm curious, but did you do research at the Med school during the summer prior to matriculation? That program sounds intriguing...

Yes I did. It's a great program. Not that competitive. Although its offered to the MS1's and MS2's, they usually don't take advantage of it. First off, the MS1's have a lot more summer programs offered to them than just the research one, so that makes them more open for the incoming people.

Also, the MS2's will be studying and taking boards over the summer, so almost none of us will be taking advantage of it.

Its a great thing to do for a few reasons, as you might have imagined. First off, the stipend is great. Easily takes care of your summer expenses. Second, you'll get to really know one of the medical school faculty (if you don't already) - connections are always a good thing. Last, when you present your summer research during the fall conference, it gives you a chance to shine and stick out to the research faculty.

Slants - what summer research program were you talking about? can you give a link to it if you get a chance?

Thanks!

Decisions to make: Do the summer research, or golf all summer! Those are some wicked options! Slants, Was your research in Vermillion, or in Sioux Falls?

Decisions to make: Do the summer research, or golf all summer! Those are some wicked options! Slants, Was your research in Vermillion, or in Sioux Falls?

Hey Duke,

I did mine in Vermillion. I did my undergrad here in Verm so I had some connections from that and just stayed here her for that summer.

A lot of my classmates did their research in Sioux Falls though.

I got an e-mail today saying that the admissions committee met on Jan 30th, and I will be getting a letter in the mail later this week.

Does this mean I am in? I thought Jill had told me that you only get that e-mail if you are accepted. Or did I misunderstand her, and they send pending notices in the mail, too?

My dad saw a doctor on the committee today, and he told me that "he wouldn't say anything for sure, but it certainly sounded good."
So here's hoping! :)

I got an e-mail today saying that the admissions committee met on Jan 30th, and I will be getting a letter in the mail later this week.

Does this mean I am in? I thought Jill had told me that you only get that e-mail if you are accepted. Or did I misunderstand her, and they send pending notices in the mail, too?

My dad saw a doctor on the committee today, and he told me that "he wouldn't say anything for sure, but it certainly sounded good."
So here's hoping! :)

I got the e-mail on a Monday and got my letter in the mail on Friday saying I was accepted. I called on Wednesday and they said they still hadn't sent the letter yet, so I think they must send it out around Thursday. Good Luck

Finally got the acceptance letter yesterday. Didn't get mailed until Friday. Figured it would take a couple days at least to get to me in northern Minnesota, so I'm happy I finally got it - a week after the e-mail!

Final AdCom meeting happened yesterday. Anyone getting anxious?

Final AdCom meeting happened yesterday. Anyone getting anxious?

(First time posting) Yes, I am very anxious! I thought I would have received an e-mail either way by now, be it good or bad...! :confused:

I am OOS and interviewed back on September 25th, hope to hear something soon!

(First time posting) Yes, I am very anxious! I thought I would have received an e-mail either way by now, be it good or bad...! :confused:

I am OOS and interviewed back on September 25th, hope to hear something soon!

You'll probably be waiting till Friday. That's my guess. I called Jill the other day to see if I could check the status of my application, and she said she couldn't tell me anything over the phone, but the letters would be going out Wednesday (today). I'm also OOS (Minnesota), so I'll be hoping for a big ol' folder of information in the mail on Friday. She also said that, unlike last time, all of the applicants would be getting paper letters - not emails.

You'll probably be waiting till Friday. That's my guess. I called Jill the other day to see if I could check the status of my application, and she said she couldn't tell me anything over the phone, but the letters would be going out Wednesday (today). I'm also OOS (Minnesota), so I'll be hoping for a big ol' folder of information in the mail on Friday. She also said that, unlike last time, all of the applicants would be getting paper letters - not emails.

Thank you so much davidsomsen! I just assumed there would be another e-mail, I'm a little less anxious now (albeit slightly). Sadly, I'll probably be waiting until Monday as I am in California. :lame: Thanks again for the info and best of luck!! :xf:

Thank you so much davidsomsen! I just assumed there would be another e-mail, I'm a little less anxious now (albeit slightly). Sadly, I'll probably be waiting until Monday as I am in California. :lame: Thanks again for the info and best of luck!! :xf:

What...you have no faith in the United States Postal Service?? Ha. I bet you'll get it on Saturday, no? And thanks, good luck to you as well! Hopefully we'll be matriculating in Verm together!

Congratulations to all those accepted! It really is an accomplishment, especially for those OOS applicants.

I hope to be joining you all in Vermillion next year.

Thanks again Slants for all your help and advice.

#6 on the waitlist. i called jill and now i'm #5...she said that they haven't accepted fewer than 10 people off the waitlist for quite some time. let's hope this year isn't the year that breaks the streak. eek. good luck, all!

Yes congrats to everyone who got accepted! You've made it over what is arguably the biggest hurdle in the journey. I say arguably because at this point in my journey I'd argue that the boards is the biggest or specialty choice is the biggest. But, that's a different deal all together.

Either way, this accomplishment is huge. Great job!

Also, davidsomsen I've heard the same thing Jill said for many years. If you're top 10 on our waiting list you might as well start finding a place to stay and assume you're on your way down to Verm.

Congratulations!

If you guys have any questions about the MS1 year, PM me and we can email or talk about some things.

Now that you're all accepted, you are all going to find that all your motivation has gone out the window for anything undergrad related. Happened to me anyway.

Have a great summer everyone and welcome to Verm!

Yes congrats to everyone who got accepted! You've made it over what is arguably the biggest hurdle in the journey. I say arguably because at this point in my journey I'd argue that the boards is the biggest or specialty choice is the biggest. But, that's a different deal all together.

Either way, this accomplishment is huge. Great job!

Also, davidsomsen I've heard the same thing Jill said for many years. If you're top 10 on our waiting list you might as well start finding a place to stay and assume you're on your way down to Verm.

Congratulations!

If you guys have any questions about the MS1 year, PM me and we can email or talk about some things.

Now that you're all accepted, you are all going to find that all your motivation has gone out the window for anything undergrad related. Happened to me anyway.

Have a great summer everyone and welcome to Verm!

Thanks, Slants! I love your profile pic, by the way. It seems very retro...

Hopefully (only kind of, as I'm from Yankton and my parents will want to visit me far more than I'll want them to) I'll be in Verm in August!

congrats to all of you who have gotten in so far... quick question, at USD is the "alternate list" the same as the waitlist? At another school that I'm waiting on, they have a waitlist and then they have an additional alternate list, with the waitlist being first and those on the alternate list basically blowing in the wind.

got my letter today and I'm #2 on the alternate, so hopefully I will be meeting many of you at the end of summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.