2009-2010 Louisiana State University New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompt

If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school. (Optional, no limit)

LOR Requirements

Generally, the BEST source for an evaluation is the PRE-MEDICAL COMMITTEE AT YOUR SCHOOL.

If the applicant chooses not to use a pre-medical committee, then the applicant is REQUIRED to obtain evaluations from three faculty members in didactic courses, in any of the following four disciplines: biology, chemistry, mathematics or physics. In addition to these three letters, you may also wish to include letters of evaluation from faculty members outside these four disciplines. Evaluations from laboratory instructors cannot be used to fulfill the requirements stated above.

If you have been out of school for an extended period of time, you should still attempt to obtain faculty evaluations. If you are unable to do this, you should get letters from individuals with whom you work. It is strongly recommended that one of these letters be from your immediate supervisor or employer.

In addition, you may have letters of evaluation sent by individuals who know you well; however, these should be limited to TWO letters of reference. These will not substitute, however, for the three required faculty evaluations.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey fellow LSU-NO applicants!

So I've been doing some research on secondary applications and here is what I found:

LSU-NO's website doesn't say like anything. :( It has the deadline (from last year's cycle) and that's about it. I figure they will email us, but who knows? I'm sure they have it all worked out. I'll be checking the website, and I'll let you know when they update anything. If anyone hears from LSU-NO, please post. :)

Best of luck this year. :luck: Geaux Tigers!!

Edit: Thanks to Arzt67 for posting last year's info.

Last edited:
I was wondering about LSU-NO and LSU-S secondary prompts! I just spent about 20 minutes all over SDN looking for them and had no luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering about LSU-NO and LSU-S secondary prompts! I just spent about 20 minutes all over SDN looking for them and had no luck!

Yeah, no such animal on SDN. I posted the LSU-S secondary for this year in that thread, but LSU-NO, I had no luck with. I guess it will be a surprise.

Ok, good. I'm glad that I'm not just inept at finding things on SDN, because I, too, searched for a while and found nothing on LSU-NO's secondary from this past year. Woot for LSU!

I'm applying to both LSU campuses. I'm not banking on anything good happening since I was raised in the North...but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Good luck!

Yup...I'm an LA resident. I haven't been here that long though.

That is why I rushed to get my license and voter registration card when I got here :) Get the resident ball going!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good, just checking since the LSUs don't take non LA residents. :)

Wait...I checked the numbers on the MSAR. Last years OOS matriculated accounted for 6.1% of the class. That accounts for about 10 people. Not a huge number but still taking in some oos. :xf:

The only OOS applications that are accepted are those who apply to the MD/PhD program or those who are the child of an LSUHSC alum.

I spoke with a current L3 student at LSUS and she said she did not send in an optional letter (i.e. secondary essay)... Im super confused...:confused:

I spoke with a curent L3 student at LSUS and she said she did not send in an optional letter (i.e. secondary essay)... Im super confused...:confused:

That's why it's optional. I'm not writing anything. I feel like it's one of those places to explain huge holes in the app if you want.

Maybe Im thinking tooo hard about this but do you think they prefer black and white photos or color photos. An also smiling or not smiling?:D

Maybe Im thinking tooo hard about this but do you think they prefer black and white photos or color photos. An also smiling or not smiling?:D

Def. thinking too much. :p Just make sure whatever picture it is that it is professional looking. Otherwise, I doubt they care.

When writing the optional "letter" any suggestions on who to address (to whom it may concern,...etc.) and also in closing, would it be best to close like a conventional letter? I was thinking of simply titling it "secondary essay"...any thoughts....?:confused:

When writing the optional "letter" any suggestions on who to address (to whom it may concern,...etc.) and also in closing, would it be best to close like a conventional letter? I was thinking of simply titling it "secondary essay"...any thoughts....?:confused:

Hmm. "To whom it may concern" sounds good. Or "Admissions Committee." Yes, I would say close it like a normal letter. And do letters need titles?

My application was delivered and signed for today :D

Update: Just got an e-mail from the admissions office saying they received my secondary and will e-mail me when my file is complete. I had my letters sent via Interfolio 2 weeks ago...so hopefully I'll be complete soon.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten a complete e-mail yet?

I just want to delete this quote, but they only give me an option to "edit." Oops

Called the Admissions office today... the number is (504)568-6262 in case y'all want to know since it's not in the email. And I'm complete yay! Never got a complete email though. Weird.

Called the Admissions office today... the number is (504)568-6262 in case y'all want to know since it's not in the email. And I'm complete yay! Never got a complete email though. Weird.

last year I had sent in all of my stuff to them by the end of July but they didn't send me a complete email until they sent me an interview invitation on Aug 18. So maybe you'll get the complete email whenever you get the interview invite...

So I called just now and they said they hadn't had a chance to get around to sending all the complete emails.
Also that interview invites probably won't come out until September 1st-ish, so I guess we can all just forget about LSU-NO for a while.

How did everybody sent their recommendation letters? I sent my electronically via Interfolio to both LSU-S and LSU-NO.

Just found out today that LSU-S doesn't accept electronic delivery, only postal mail...but my alma mater won't authorize a postal mail delivery to LSU-S. Oy...I don't need this.

How did everybody sent their recommendation letters? I sent my electronically via Interfolio to both LSU-S and LSU-NO.

Just found out today that LSU-S doesn't accept electronic delivery, only postal mail...but my alma mater won't authorize a postal mail delivery to LSU-S. Oy...I don't need this.

LSU-S accepted mine via VirtualEvals.

My school doesn't use VirtualEvals...strictly Interfolio.

Looks like the alma mater is getting a phone call tomorrow:rolleyes:

Haha, no. And I know of two other people who did not apply ED and have interviews.

AHH!! Lucky! I had my app completed by the ED deadline, and was told I was not accepted into the ED program and that my app is complete and waiting in the regular app pool. :bang:

How long did you have to wait after your secondary was complete before you received your interview invite?

How long did you have to wait after your secondary was complete before you received your interview invite?

I got the invite 5 days after I got the complete email, but I know my application was complete way before I got the email because I called and asked.

I got the invite 5 days after I got the complete email, but I know my application was complete way before I got the email because I called and asked.

Invite! I never got a complete e-mail though, but I did call and check for completion.

Ack! I just got the complete e-mail yesterday...does this mean I may hear from them soon? Or do you think it will take them longer since it's later in the season?:oops:

Ack! I just got the complete e-mail yesterday...does this mean I may hear from them soon? Or do you think it will take them longer since it's later in the season?:oops:

Not the slightest clue. I did hear a lot earlier than most of my friends though who were complete at the same time as me. Just be patient.

Not the slightest clue. I did hear a lot earlier than most of my friends though who were complete at the same time as me. Just be patient.
...you prob heard back really early b/c of your awesome stats lol. very well. I shall sit and wait impatiently

Well. The wait ended up being pretty short after all. Interview invite today :D

do you think that attaching the optional essay helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.