2009-2010 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

1. List the five most important attributes you except a physician to posses.

For each attribute, describe one or two of YOUR experiences that correlate or demonstrate that attribute about you. Please answer in the space provided.

2. Given TCMC's unique missions and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our insitution. Also, if you have any special connection to Northeast Pennsylvania, please include this information here. Please answer using the space provided.

3. If you could speak directly to the Admissions Committee, explain why you should be admitted to The Commonwealth Medical College. Please answer using the space provided.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about this school? Seen it, or heard anything about it?

It's pretty new. I'm applying here for the sake of it. You probably get preference b/c they want people from western PA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about it. I think their first class recieved full scholarships, could be wrong. Haven't heard that this year. They seem very rural medicine focused in their curric. so if you don't actually want to work in small town PA I wouldn't apply.

I interviewed here for their first class. It seemed like a great school with some innovative ideas, and great staff. They are heavily interested in rural medicine and also working within the Scranton and surrounding communities. If I remember correctly they do a program where the first two years are in Scranton and the other two can be in regional campuses in PA. They do favor in-state applicants since they are attempting to provide doctors for that area specifically. They are building a brand new building for the first two years in Scranton, but for now are utilizing facilities in a community college in Scranton. However, they have renovated large parts of the building, and the equipment/facilities are brand new. They provided $20000 scholarships to all members of their charter class, however I have not heard if they are doing this for your year. There isn't much in the surrounding area or in Scranton itself, but the PA paper building from opening of The Office can be seen from their location, it was shown off in the interview. It seemed like a great schoolwith some REALLY excited staff, I just wasn't comfortable going somewhere so unestablished.

I forgot to say, interviews are with two staff/faculty members. The rest of the interview day is composed of presentations about the school and regional campuses, curriculum, and opportunities present.

I'm applying here. I went to their open house in Nov 2008 and getting a tour in July. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I went to see it. Not my first choice, but still considering.

Called them and they said secondaries will be sent out via email towards end of July.

also...they said PA residency is not a huge factor when considering for admissions. their first class had 30% OOS.

Called them and they said secondaries will be sent out via email towards end of July.

also...they said PA residency is not a huge factor when considering for admissions. their first class had 30% OOS.

Thanks for the effort. :thumbup: Does anyone know the stats for 2009?

I'm a member of the charter class, and I received an email last week that listed our class' stats: 64 students, AVG MCAT: 30, AVG GPA: 3.5. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. That information is really helpful. Its tough to find out about a school thats so new. If any other people who interviewed or are matriculating there have any other comments, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Just received secondary today.

Here it is.

Question #1:

List the five most important attributes you except a physician to posses.

For each attribute, describe one or two of YOUR experiences that correlate or demonstrate that attribute about you. Please answer in the space provided.

Question #2:

Given TCMC's unique missions and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our insitution. Also, if you have any special connection to Northeast Pennsylvania, please include this information here. Please answer using the space provided.

Question #3:

If you could speak directly to the Admissions Committee, explain why you should be admitted to The Commonwealth Medical College. Please answer using the space provided.

Question #4:

Are you related to anyone who is on faculty or employed by TCMC?

Yes

No

If yes, please identify who:

SubmitResetCancelSubmit

"Question #1:

List the five most important attributes you except a physician to posses."

nice, nice.

"Question #1:

List the five most important attributes you except a physician to posses."

nice, nice.

yeah that one typo confused me. I was like "this sentence doesn't make sense".

Members don't see this ad :)
just submitted my secondary today. 1 down...9 more to go!!!

how long do you think the responses should be?

there doesn't seem to be a limit, its not stopping me from writing more.

By how busy this thread is, TCMC is going to get like 200 applicants for this year :rolleyes: Anyone hear anything back?

By how busy this thread is, TCMC is going to get like 200 applicants for this year :rolleyes: Anyone hear anything back?

I emailed today and they said they haven't quite gotten to the point of screening for interviews yet. I actually really like this school with their weekly PBL sessions and getting acquainted with a family in your first year. And if they only have 200 applicants, then our chances goes way up of getting in :)

I emailed today and they said they haven't quite gotten to the point of screening for interviews yet. I actually really like this school with their weekly PBL sessions and getting acquainted with a family in your first year. And if they only have 200 applicants, then our chances goes way up of getting in :)

If they have hot girls like Pam from The Office in Scranton, I'm in. :cool:

Typo already fixed on the secondary application. Human error, it happens. Easier to fix than to be judged. Proof carefully is the message!

I'm the first FAPper that they have so far...so I'm hoping that this will leave them some impression of me. Maybe it'll make me stand out more? :laugh:

2010-2011... pretty sure that recently came out.

It did, but I used it in compiling my list of schools back in May, before AMCAS could be submitted (if you consider May 'recent'). I'm a Canadian applying MD/PhD, so I likely would have never heard of TCMC if not for the MSAR. I didn't apply to TCMC though, so sorry for crashing your thread :D

how long do you think the responses should be?

there doesn't seem to be a limit, its not stopping me from writing more.

Yea, I had the same question...Does it give you an error message when ur submitting the app, if ur answer is beyond a certain limit?

Yea, I had the same question...Does it give you an error message when ur submitting the app, if ur answer is beyond a certain limit?

I wrote well beyond the space that they provided and I didn't have any problems. However, it wasn't a huge amount of extra text. I would say that you would be able to fit my responses on less than one page each. I hope that gives you an idea of what worked for someone else.

has anyone called admissions and asked for the exact character limit or word limit?

any info on the mean mcat/gpa/bcpm for this school. I know its new and i have the msar but no info. i am not from the region and i am debating whether it is worth my $ filling out this secondary. :confused:

any info on the mean mcat/gpa/bcpm for this school. I know its new and i have the msar but no info. i am not from the region and i am debating whether it is worth my $ filling out this secondary. :confused:

When I emailed a while ago they told me "about a 3.5 GPA and about a 30 MCAT." Which leads me to believe it may be slightly lower.

When I emailed a while ago they told me "about a 3.5 GPA and about a 30 MCAT." Which leads me to believe it may be slightly lower.

cool. let's hope my new MCAT is high so I can at least get an interview from this school.

Is anyone having problems calling them? I called MANY times but after a few rings, a voice message pops up. lame. :thumbdown:

RecyclingBinh, or any other person with FAP, how did you apply for the secondary fee waiver?

RecyclingBinh, or any other person with FAP, how did you apply for the secondary fee waiver?

you will have to call them. I was their first FAPper ever :D

but unforntunately...something is wrong with their phone system. I've tried calling 3 days straight but no one picked up. :mad:

cool. let's hope my new MCAT is high so I can at least get an interview from this school.

Is anyone having problems calling them? I called MANY times but after a few rings, a voice message pops up. lame. :thumbdown:

Try emailing them. Usually when I email, their Assistant Director of Admissions emails back pretty quickly.

Try emailing them. Usually when I email, their Assistant Director of Admissions emails back pretty quickly.

good idea. :thumbup: haven't thought about that.

Is it true that government loans aren't available for students of this school?

Has anyone received a complete email yet from this school? My letters of req still havn't been received.

They still haven't uploaded my letters and i submitted my secondary a month ago.

as of today, i'm marked complete on the status page

Can someone post the secondary link? It's no fun digging around emails (that aren't even on this computer) for it! Thanks.

I just got the email that says that I'm (*finally*) complete! I live in Wisconsin right now, but am originally from Allentown, PA so I'm really hoping to get back where I grew up. Best of luck to all!

I never heard back from this school...no secondary and no rejection...weird.

I had a 28N on my MCAT and 3.87 GPA...anyone else with similar stats hear anything?

29N and 3.79GPA I completed this one a month or so ago. Not sure what to tell you other than try to log in or shoot them an email. I seriously doubt you got screened.

No screens here.... e-mail them. They still have not uploaded my letters making me complete> The fee and secondary have been sent in on the 7/23. Anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone know where I can state that I have a fee waiver? Do I have to email them my fee waiver? There's only an option to pay. Thanks for your help.

Still have no downloaded my letters of req! Been 3 weeks. Has anyone been complete yet? Should i contact them?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.