2009-2010 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

"We realize that completing this form can take a considerable amount of time, and although it is not necessary to elaborate in great detail, please do your best to answer these questions thoughtfully. It is recommended that you use a maximum of 25 single-spaced lines for your response to each of the first seven questions. To designate paragraphs, please double-space. When printing your application, we ask that you use a standard size "font" (11 or 12)."

1. What do you consider a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud, or a person who has influenced your life.

2. Please provide information or experiences working with individuals from diverse backgrounds. What were they? and how did they affect you?

3. Describe briefly how you have dealt with a personal or academic problem you have encountered.

4. How did you reach your decision to enter medicine? Describe your participation in any health care or other activities which reinforced your decision. (Please include any experience involving the care of others.)

5. Please describe any self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work.

6. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school.

7. Please use this space to bring the information contained on your AMCAS application up-to-date. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know.

LOR Reqs

Committee letter or 3 letters (2 science 1 nonscience). One must be from an advisor, if no advisor is available, the 3 letters will suffice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming that the question remains the same from the previous two cycles:

Is it okay if I write about my maturation and development after my previous application (it's been 2 years) for this question?

"What do you consider a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud, or a person who has influenced your life."

Assuming that the question remains the same from the previous two cycles:

Is it okay if I write about my maturation and development after my previous application (it's been 2 years) for this question?

"What do you consider a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud, or a person who has influenced your life."
I think that falls under "a decision you have made" if you play it off the right way. You could describe how you made the decision to reapply. You gotta be careful with it though, especially since you applied there before.

I'm reapplying to two schools, and I'm going to be really careful with their secondaries. I need to change my stories enough to show that I've improved and changed, but I dont want them to think that because they rejected me the first time that I have changed my overall career goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm reapplying to two schools, and I'm going to be really careful with their secondaries. I need to change my stories enough to show that I've improved and changed, but I dont want them to think that because they rejected me the first time that I have changed my overall career goals.
Agreed. I don't know if it's just me, but I found that the major inspirations/classes/events that I wrote about previously are completely different this time around.

I guess it's always good to evolve though :)

Think it would be bad to talk about something from the PS? I would hate to repeat myself.
I kind of did this in some of my 2ndaries. I just wrote an introduction that said that I mentioned it in the P.S., but I'd like to elaborate on it in the 2ndary.

Wow, this secondary is rough. Seven 25-line essays?

Also, question 4 from last year: "How did you reach your decision to enter medicine?" Seems like I have written this before. Yeah, something like it had to be under 5300 characters and turned in with AMCAS...oh that's right, it is my personal statement.

Wow, this secondary is rough. Seven 25-line essays?

Also, question 4 from last year: "How did you reach your decision to enter medicine?" Seems like I have written this before. Yeah, something like it had to be under 5300 characters and turned in with AMCAS...oh that's right, it is my personal statement.

lol yah gotta love it. They dont want you to repeat the PS too much but they ask you questions like this....time to test your bs skills! :)

lol yah gotta love it. They dont want you to repeat the PS too much but they ask you questions like this....time to test your bs skills! :)
Seriously. The problem with 7 questions with overlapping topics is that you can only BS so much and with 25-lines, you can't even copy/paste from other secondaries because those responses are far too short. I'm all BSed out now and I still have to answer the first one.

Seriously. The problem with 7 questions with overlapping topics is that you can only BS so much and with 25-lines, you can't even copy/paste from other secondaries because those responses are far too short. I'm all BSed out now and I still have to answer the first one.
Are you applying this yr koko? Or are you doing the SMP at georgetown? I forget...I just remember your mdapps and it strikes fear into my heart...lol:scared:

Are you applying this yr koko? Or are you doing the SMP at georgetown? I forget...I just remember your mdapps and it strikes fear into my heart...lol:scared:
Haha I told my parents that y'all found my MDapps to be the most discouraging. While they laughed, I think those were laughs of sorrow.

Anyway, yes I'll be applying this year while in Georgetown SMP since my MCAT expires this cycle.

I kept my promise of applying to fewer schools this time around too, but barely. It's 46 instead of 50+ :)

Haha I told my parents that y'all found my MDapps to be the most discouraging. While they laughed, I think those were laughs of sorrow.

Anyway, yes I'll be applying this year while in Georgetown SMP since my MCAT expires this cycle.

I kept my promise of applying to fewer schools this time around too, but barely. It's 46 instead of 50+ :)

lol well i guess 46 is better then 50..i did 45 against my better judgement. I was going to cut it down to 30 then i thought of you...and proceeded to freak out :laugh:. I hope you get in damn, you did 2 post baccs and if i remember right did awesome in the SF one. If that isnt determination to improve ones app i dont know what is. Maybe this cycle we can be the posterchild for kids who have fail stats on paper but still get in because of other reasons!!! lol

more on topic though....i just looked at this 2ndary more closely and its sick...i almost dont want to even apply here...this and rush i think take the cake for the 2 most ridiculous 2ndarys. 3 of the questions are like repeats of whats in your amcas app...i dont know wtf they expect from us.

I just looked at your md apps again...we are literally like applying to the same exact schools...its almost like looking in a mirror lol

lol well i guess 46 is better then 50..i did 45 against my better judgement. I was going to cut it down to 30 then i thought of you...and proceeded to freak out :laugh:. I hope you get in damn, you did 2 post baccs and if i remember right did awesome in the SF one. If that isnt determination to improve ones app i dont know what is. Maybe this cycle we can be the posterchild for kids who have fail stats on paper but still get in because of other reasons!!! lol
Don't feel too bad. I was going to apply to 37 schools, but then thought of me too and applied to 46 instead ;)

Loyola totally killed my momentum. I was averaging 2 secondaries per day and Loyola took me two days and now I don't want to do any more. I've stopped alphabetically at MSU.

I remember getting these done much faster in 2007.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't feel too bad. I was going to apply to 37 schools, but then thought of me too and applied to 46 instead ;)

Loyola totally killed my momentum. I was averaging 2 secondaries per day and Loyola took me two days and now I don't want to do any more. I've stopped alphabetically at MSU.

I remember getting these done much faster in 2007.

Hey koko, how come you didn't reatke the MCAT? It's probably easier to just retake it and get a solid score than to have to gamble with applying to all of these schools. I mean, you're GPA is OK and from what it looks like, you have a lot of clinical experience. That MCAT is probably the easiest thing to improve.

Also, did you apply to other SMP programs that have a strong linkage like EVMS and Cincinnati? If you can get into those, you have a much better chance of getting into their medcal school after you graduate than if you go to Georgetown.

Also, did you apply to other SMP programs that have a strong linkage like EVMS and Cincinnati? If you can get into those, you have a much better chance of getting into their medcal school after you graduate than if you go to Georgetown.
I didn't apply to them, actually. The only one I wish I had applied to is Tulane, but I found out about it after I deferred Georgetown for a year at a $500 expense.

As for the MCAT, I really don't want to take it again and it's been a while since I've taken those basic science courses.

When do they normally send out secondary invites?

Nvm...I take that back.

Hahahaha!

Last edited:
LOL alvarez...just remove the mdapps then youre non-identifiable!!! make that fb private too :p

Last edited:
Has anyone recieved a secondary from Loyola yet? Do you know when they usually come out? Thanks!

I called them yesterday and the lady on the phone told me that they will start sending the supplementary apps in a week and half!

so don't worry if you haven't received anything from them yet!

Since im sure this question will be asked, they screen but its some ridiculously low numbers threshold. So basically everyone will get it...

Wow, brutal secondary. I almost applied here, thank god i checked this first. Good luck to everyone that did apply though:thumbup:, that secondaries a mother.....

it seems like all the schools in chicago, except for maybe UIC, has really hard secondaries....

it seems like all the schools in chicago, except for maybe UIC, has really hard secondaries....

UIC's is a cake walk in comparison. 250 words per essay? Yes please

I sincerely hope the prompts haven't changed...spent soooo much time answering them! :xf:

This school seems douchebag... you have to spend $75 before you can work on the secondary? The process seems like a joke... a poorly scanned + crooked PDF document and then I get the message

Sorry, but we cannot find any information about you in our system. Please verify the information entered or contact the admissions office.

I sincerely hope the prompts haven't changed...spent soooo much time answering them! :xf:
i wrote them but i got so sick of it, they are still in rough draft form...im so not looking forward to doing it, the 2 secondaries i didnt want to get both came today :(

i can't get on it either, same bull**** about not recognizing me in their system
meh lots of schools seem to have these problems this year, i wouldnt worry too much.

Are the prompts the same as last year?

Does anyone know if they release the secondary in phases or if you don't get it today is that it?

Does anyone know if they release the secondary in phases or if you don't get it today is that it?
phases as it is with all schools. Also considering the problems they are having im sure 12312312 premeds have innundated them with calls, so maybe they are just waiting to fix the problem? :shrug:

Thanks. I was browsing last years forum and noticed that the fix to the problem for many people was to put 00 in front of their amcas id. IDK if it is the same fix this year.

Maybe I got screened? :scared: I just read that they don't like 3rd time applicants... i never applied to their school before so they would consider me a first time applicant right???

Are the prompts the same as last year?

Can't tell. They sent out an odd pdf file with some info directing you to a separate site where the essays are, but it won't let me log in at the site.

Buffy, chill out! It's been less than 12 hrs since they started sending out secondaries. I haven't received one either, BUT I hear their screen has very low cut-offs.

I wouldn't start worrying for a few more weeks. I'm sure our batch is on the way!

The fact that some of us haven't recieved secondaries is annoying but isn't it a good sign that we haven't heard of anyone getting rejected either?

Chances are they just haven't sent them all out. There is no reason I would be screened out (They have a screen much lower than my stats), and I haven't gotten a secondary yet. I am sure the same is true of most, if not all, of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.