2009-2010 Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tybalt1

Warring on Apathy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The new Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine should be up and running next August for their first class of ~42. Check out the website at www.vtc.vt.edu. They should be getting their preliminary accreditation letter the first week of June and should be listed on AAMCAS by June 15th. The last I heard was that it was going to be a required dual MD/PhD degree, but I'm not sure if that is still the case. I foresee good things.

Members don't see this ad.

good for them, I still can't believe what happened just over a year ago in that school. Would have def applied if this was a year ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
42 md/phd spots?? im interested...

I'm 99.9% sure that you do NOT have to get an MD/PhD. They were going to make it a 5 year program, but they're definitely not doing that anymore. I'll definitely be applying here!:)

so what hospital(s) do students rotate at?

I would assume carillion, since that's the major hospital system in the area (and it's in the name haha)

Will update this later.

With a class size of only 42 would they still give preference to Virginia applicants?

the school is being modeled after the Lerner School in Cleveland as well as Harvard's program... although they do plan on offering MD/PhD programs, they are not universal for all students... where the confusion lays is that they will require all students to perform research while in school... but that doesnt mean dual degree or more scholarship opportunities... it just means that students will be required to publish before they graduate... a lot of people in the hospital are saying that applicants having a strong research backround with previous publications will have a strong advantage in admissions... but that may just be a rumor... all in all, they cant release any official "student recruiting" info until they recieve preliminary accredidation(sometime between June 2-4)... anyways, if any of you are interested in seeing what the construction is looking like, check out my facebook page on the school... i upload photos about once every 2 weeks...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=540996812#/group.php?gid=73419241350&ref=mf

Mannnn these schools are popping up like weeds...that's all well and good until we hit residency and the competition gets a lot stiffer than it used to be. Can't get more doctors without more residency slots.

the school is being modeled after the Lerner School in Cleveland as well as Harvard's program... although they do plan on offering MD/PhD programs, they are not universal for all students... where the confusion lays is that they will require all students to perform research while in school... but that doesnt mean dual degree or more scholarship opportunities... it just means that students will be required to publish before they graduate... a lot of people in the hospital are saying that applicants having a strong research backround with previous publications will have a strong advantage in admissions... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=540996812#/group.php?gid=73419241350&ref=mf

awesome, im looking forward to this :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey -- I called the new Virginia Tech Carilion SOM in Roanoke, VA. They can't start recruiting medical students until they receive preliminary accreditation -- but that is anticipated soon. They were able to tell me that they will be offering a 4-year MD degree that will include a research project. The information about a 5-year degree or MD/PhD program is incorrect. The information about their Patient Centered Learning curriculum is on their website:
http://www.vtc.vt.edu

the accreditation process is very sensitive... if VTC does anything or if anyone affiliated with the school makes any statement that can be regarded as student recruitment, they can be penalized by the LCME by revoking accreditation for up to 5 years. Literally, if Dean Cynda Johnson makes a passing statement "i think the students will love the atmosphere we are planning to provide" it could be construed as student recruiting... it seems like an innocuous statement, but in those few words their is the intention of encouraging students to check out the program... anyways with that said, a lot of the details on VTC's med program will not be released until they receive preliminary accreditation... all we can confirm now is that it is a 4 year school, research project mandatory, fall 2010 charter class of 42 students planned, and on June 2-4 preliminary accreditation will either be confirmed or denied.... oh and the website has an awesome virtual video tour of the ins and outs of the future medical school...

MS clinic hours and more residency positions are expected to be created through the Carilion hospital, but that cannot be confirmed yet... however, if VTC receives accreditation, its pretty much a sure bet... btw, Carilion is a massive hospital system with a fantastic Trauma 1 center(research)... can't help but think that the trauma 1 influence will rub off on the VTC program...

keep an eye on the VTC website and the LCME website... LCME is holding their annual meeting this week in Washington DC with VTC's accreditation status on the schedule for review... VTC will probably receive preliminary accreditation status from the LCME sometime between Tuesday and Thursday this week... after that, we should start seeing copius amounts of info showing up on the admissions page of the VTC site.... we'll probably see VTC show up on AMCAS school listing soon afterwards...

www.vtc.vt.edu

www.lcme.org

I hope they aren't giving preference to VA residents; But I am sure they will.

I talked to a local M.D. who is working with the VTC - I'm not sure in what capacity - he currently teaches Carilion residents. Here's his low-down.

There was once a plan to make VTC a 5 year program, with a master's degree included and the option to extend that to a PhD. That has changed to a traditional 4 year MD program, to make the school more competitive. VTC is a PRIVATE medical school, despite its affiliation with Tech. Students will be required to participate in research. It is problem based learning (they call it patient based learning). There will be some dedicated VTC professors, but the school will also draw on the Virginia Tech faculty to teach certain specialized subjects - genetics, embrology, etc. Preference will be given to students with a strong research background. I don't know about in-state vs. out of state, but he did say students with research experience AT virginia tech will have some preference.

Does anyone know how competitive this school will be? Despite the research preferences, I doubt that will allow low GPAs and MCATs to sneak in.

Cheers -

They already have VCOM. This is going to go to very good places. Goodluck for whomever decides to apply.

I could be very wrong on this, but it is my understanding that VCOM is not really Virginia Tech's medical school. It is a free standing Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine located in Blacksburg.
Yes, there is some cross affiliation between the Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine and Virginia Tech so that students can use some of VT's perks like athletic facilities, libraries, and go to sporting events-but it's not truly Virginia Tech.
The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine will truly be Virginia Tech's medical school.
I'm not trying to flame anything, just want to know if my impression is correct or way off base.

From VCOM website:

"The Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine is a professional graduate college offering the degree of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) The College operates with a collaborative agreement with Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) for research and for student activities. This collaboration offers the student an opportunity to participate in the campus activities with students from Virginia Tech, including use of the library, recreational facilities, student center, arts and theatre programs, intramural programs, and access to Virginia Tech football and other athletic event tickets."

Last edited:
I know that Michigan State has a D.O. tract and an M.D. tract, but its all Michigan State University. I do not believe this is the same case with Virginia Tech, but I could be wrong.

Bunny Fru Fru,
You are completely correct that VCOM isn't technically Virginia Tech's med school. They do get to use tech's facilities in exchange for tech being able to count their research in their yearly total. It's just an affiliation though, not that tech has really anything to do with owning VCOM. Virginia Tech Carilion med school will be tech's first actual med school. Hope that helps!

Jackson1

Good grief - I am a Virginia resident, and I had no idea about this school - never even heard of it, may have confused it with the DO school...unbelievable, another allo school in state...I am reading it correctly, that this is an allo/MD program, right?

Learn something new every day...

I hadn't heard about this either. The idea of being one of the first students to attend a medical school is equal parts intriguing and terrifying. Hopefully they release more information soon.

June 3, 2009 - The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine (VTCSOM) received word today that we have been granted preliminary accreditation from the LCME Board. VTCSOM is a private medical school formed through a public-private partnership between Virginia Tech and Carilion Clinic, a major health care provider in southwestern Virginia. Our new medical school and research institute campus is being built adjacent to the new Carilion Clinic near downtown Roanoke, Virginia. Our class size will be 42 students per year. Classes will begin in August 2010.
- VTCSOM offers a four-year M.D. degree.
- VTCSOM will be admitting both Virginia state residents and out-of-state residents as students to our medical school. However, only U.S. Citizens, Canadian Citizens, and Permanent Residents will be considered.
The following information summarizes the application process at VTCSOM.
- AMCAS Online Application (VTCSOM should be listed in AMCAS by early June)
- Secondary Online Application (by Invitation)
- Personal References - VTCSOM uses the Personal Potential Index (PPI) evaluation process developed by Educational Testing Service (ETS) for personal recommendations, rather than traditional letters of recommendation.
- Interview Invitation - Interviews will take place on the VTCSOM campus in Roanoke on several weekends throughout the fall and winter months. VTCSOM utilizes a Multiple-Mini Interview (MMI) process using predetermined scenarios. The MMI interview technique was developed and implemented by McMaster University in Ontario for their M.D. program.
- Rolling Admissions Process - VTCSOM will use a rolling admission process and expects to send out its first group of acceptances approximately a month after its first interview weekend. Additional acceptances will be sent out approximately a month after each interview weekend.
Interested applicants can find out more information about The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine on our website at: http://www.vtc.vt.edu

Last edited:
VTCAdm,

Will VTCSOM require its students to perform research and publish before graduation, as rumored earlier in this thread?

So crazy I didn't hear about this school until about a month ago! Looking forward to applying...sounds exactly in line with my interests.
PS. Questions:

Will preference be given to VA applicants?
When will this school be up on AMCAS?
Will regular letters of recommendation be accepted as well as the (hilariously titled) Personal Potential Index?

Last edited:
Multiple-Mini Interview (MMI) ...

I talked to somebody who interviewed at McGill about the crazyness of this interview style. You go to various stations and they ask you to do tasks and you have no idea what they are beforehand. I seem to remember he said they included a stuff ranging from simulating a patient encounter or ethical situation to them asking you to choose a favorite object among a few things and then asking you to explain your choice. Wonder what tech's will be like.

To answer my own question:

"Our research program is fully integrated throughout four years of study and requires the student to produce a hypothesis-driven research project of publishable caliber as a requirement of graduation"

Publish or perish, indeed.

Multiple-Mini Interview (MMI) ...

I talked to somebody who interviewed at McGill about the crazyness of this interview style. You go to various stations and they ask you to do tasks and you have no idea what they are beforehand. I seem to remember he said they included a stuff ranging from simulating a patient encounter or ethical situation to them asking you to choose a favorite object among a few things and then asking you to explain your choice. Wonder what tech's will be like.
Sounds kinda fun, actually...

An Excerpt from today's Roanoke Times article on VTCSOM's accreditation:

"Soon after[receiving word of preliminary accreditation], Stephen Workman, director of admissions, was online posting the good news to a networking forum for medical students."

:welcome:

They screen for secondaries but it doesn't guarantee interview(like Vandy). You just have to meet the minimum threshold(whatever it is) for a secondary. Not sure if am going to be applying. We'll see!

Will the degree actually be from VT, Carilion, or VT-Carilion?

I am assuming it is going to be a VTC degree...

it is interesting to look back and see where the rumor mills got out of control... contrary to what i posted a few weeks ago (my apologies), it looks like VTC will not have a dual MD/PhD degree program established for the charter class...

i am currently looking at the curriculum for the first 2 years... out of the 45 hours scheduled for a given week, 6 hours will be devoted to lecture... for the remaining 39 hours, they have you running the gauntlet.... intense... gotta love it! granted they have 2 unscheduled 4 hour blocks in that week... but i have a feeling that students will be working their a**es off for those 8 hours...

It should be on AMCAS about June 15th

It should be on AMCAS about June 15th
Thanks. I figured it was just an electronic release ready to go once they got accredited.

I don't even know why I'm asking, since I don't stand a chance with a class of 40+

As of June 8, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine is now listed as a Virginia school selection under Tab 7 of the AMCAS application. Our AMCAS application due date is 1 December. The Admissions section of our website now lists our Admissions process: http://www.vtc.vt.edu

As of June 8, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine is now listed as a Virginia school selection under Tab 7 of the AMCAS application. Our AMCAS application due date is 1 December. The Admissions section of our website now lists our Admissions process: http://www.vtc.vt.edu

Anything official on the instate / OOS breakdown? Tuition?

Nevermind: I see the tuition, same for instate and OOS...seems odd...

Nevermind: I see the tuition, same for instate and OOS...seems odd...

That's because VTC is really a private school affiliated with VT. They call it a "public-private partnership," and it appears the state isn't subsidizing the tuition, either. $40k/year?? And I thought VCOM was bad enough at $33k...

Also, their interview format is kinda wild. They'll be on weekends, with 10 8-minute interview stations. So if you're good at speed dating, then I guess you'll do pretty well.

Good luck to all of you who are applying to VTC. I'll be starting at VCOM this August, and I'm excited about possibly doing some rotations at Carilion.

Hmm.. so what's this ETS Reference System? Are writers supposed to fill something out online?

Someone posted earlier that they saw the hourly breakdown for the academic schedule. Where did you find this? The only schedule I have found is just an overview of breaks and exams for the first 2 years, and then rotations for the next two.

Here is a lot of information on the ETS PPI system VTSOM will be using instead of traditional LORs... it does look like your references will be filling out information online...

http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/...toid=822d25d339fcd110VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

Looks like it will be up and running in July...

Anybody else thinking that VTC may be screwing up by reinventing the wheel on recommendations? For many applicants, their college "recommenders" are harder to track down in the summer...this VTC system for recs sounds like it will have a poor compliance rate...

Anybody else thinking that VTC may be screwing up by reinventing the wheel on recommendations? For many applicants, their college "recommenders" are harder to track down in the summer...this VTC system for recs sounds like it will have a poor compliance rate...

couldn't agree more. the school seems awesome, but the LOR requirement is making it almost impossible for me to apply.

Unless you REALLY want to go to their school...

Unless you REALLY want to go to their school...

Yeah, but...it all sounds a little too clever for an unproven med school...to boot they have the highest tuition for a VA med school...a mandatory publishable project in 4 years is pretty crazy, too...if they really want to emulate CCLCM, might try stretching it to 5 years, and making it free...and how about no grades, no tests, too...

I think it really sucks having to go back to your letter writers for this onesy...asking them to log into some system. I foresee people having lots of problems with this newfangled system. The compliance issues I mentioned will be with the letter writers, and the students may have to scramble to find others who can do the online thingy...in the middle of the summer, or right at the start of the fall term, when profs really don't want to be bothered with that kind of crap...

Last edited:
The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine is a private medical school formed through a public-private partnership between Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) and Carilion Clinic, a major health care provider in southwestern Virginia. VTCSOM will be admitting both Virginia state residents and out-of-state residents as students to our medical school. However, only U.S. Citizens, Canadian Citizens, and Permanent Residents will be considered. The tuition and fees at VTCSOM will run a little over $40,000 per year. While that amount is higher than the in-state tuition rates for Virginia residents at the Virginia public medical schools -- UVASOM, VCUSOM, and EVMS -- it is lower than the out-of-state tuition rates at those schools for non-Virginia residents.

The Virginia Tech Carilion SOM curriculum will utilize a patient centered learning approach that will rely heavily on teamwork and cooperation between the students to be successful. Our small class of 42 students will be organized into teams of seven students for the first eight blocks of the M1 and M2 years. We will be the first medical school to utilize the ETS PPI process. We also plan to utilize the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) process pioneered and developed by McMaster University SOM in Ontario. Both of these evaluative processes are “different,” focusing on the non-cognitive skills critical to students in our innovative pedagogy. The MMI has had publications supporting its utility and predictive potential. We plan to evaluate the PPI in a similar manner.

The PPI evaluation process developed by ETS asks evaluators to comment on “six dimensions identified as critical for academic success.” Some of these areas are personal traits not usually reflected in the students' GPAs and MCATs: knowledge and creativity, communication skills, teamwork, resilience, planning and organization, and ethics and integrity. The ETS evaluation process asks evaluators to rank students relative to other students who have gone on to professional study on a Likert scale ranging from: below average - average - above average -outstanding - truly exceptional. Each of the six evaluation sections also provides a text box for evaluator comments up to 200 words. The overall evaluation summary provides a text box for comments up to 400 words.

For those of you not yet familiar with the ETS PPI process, ETS is making this evaluation system available to all students taking the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) starting in July. ETS currently estimates that 20+ graduate schools will be utilizing the PPI process as part of their application process for the coming year. Therefore, some students applying to other science graduate programs (M.S. / Ph.D.) will also be asking their science faculty members for evaluations utilizing the ETS PPI process. If you review the ETS evaluation process, you will see that it will probably take 20-25 minutes for the first few evaluations, but then the process should go quicker. We expect that there will be a learning curve as faculty and other evaluators become more familiar with the process, and we are confident that those students who make the effort to use this process will be able to provide us with a perspective we wouldn't normally get from most traditional letters. If you haven't investigated the ETS PPI process, you can learn more on the ETS website: http://ets.org.ppi

Regarding traditional letters of recommendation, we understand that many large undergraduate academic institutions use a pre-health committee process to collect, review, and evaluate their students, and invest considerable time and faculty resources in their process. Other institutions utilize a centralized university reference letter service. We believe these evaluations and letters would be useful to us in our admissions process, and we will accept those packages or letters from institutions electronically via VirtualEvals (ve).

However, it is also our goal to receive ETS PPI evaluations on each of our applicants invited to submit a secondary application. In our online secondary application, we state that, "VTCSOM requires three (minimum) to five (maximum) evaluations, including one from a science faculty member with significant contact with the student. The applicant may choose the evaluators for the remaining evaluations. The PPI evaluation report must be received from ETS before the secondary application is considered complete and the applicant can be considered for an interview." While some students may seek and get recommendations from multiple faculty members, we are also interested in getting recommendations from employers, former scoutmasters, pastors, volunteer service coordinators, coaches, etc., in an attempt to learn more about the applicant as a “whole person.”

If university pre-health advisors wish to assist the students in arranging for our requested science faculty evaluation using the ETS PPI process, we would have no objection. However, we would prefer that the student personally approach a science professor who has had significant personal contact with the student to get the required science faculty evaluation. Those students would then also need at least two other evaluations from other faculty evaluators or employers, former scoutmasters, pastors, volunteer service coordinators, coaches, etc., to be included in their ETS PPI summary report. Applicants from institutions that don’t have the benefit of pre-health committee endorsements or centralized letters reference services may want to take advantage of the option of providing up to five evaluations in their ETS PPI summary report.

The VTC School of Medicine will be co-located with the VTC Research Institute. Our four-year MD curriculum will also have a research project component. In our admissions process, we will be particularly interested in looking for applicants with strong backgrounds in research and scholarship, as well as non-traditional students who have excelled in other fields before deciding to pursue medical school. Many of these potential applicants are now beyond their undergraduate experience, and the ETS PPI evaluation process will give them a level playing field to be evaluated against those applicants coming directly to medical school from their undergraduate schools.

You can find out more about VTCSOM on our website: http://www.vtc.vt.edu/

Status
Not open for further replies.