where would you want to be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frangeo27

Frangeo27
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you wanted to get a 240 (or above), what would you want your score to be 4 weeks out on a NBME self-assessement? I understand some would say 240, and some smart allacks would say above 240, but let's be reasonable here. where would you want to be to feel that 240 is within reach in 4 weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

Ive heard of people going from 210 to 240. It really depends on where you are, how comfortable you are with the material. There are some people who at 210, I feel, just cant attain the 240 level with just one month because of poor fundamental knowledge.

Also, some people I feel like remain stagnant because instead of trying to learn they just brute force memorize things, do 150 problems a day (most of which I feel like they are guessing on), and in general do things that are not conducive to learning

I would want to be between 230 and 250. And you have to, as the above poster stated, study effectively. Good luck!:)

I went from 200 on the NBME exam I took to 250 on the real exam four weeks later. I studied for about three weeks before the NBME exam and mostly tried to work on the fundamentals. The last month I spent brute force memorizing and doing 150-200 questions a day. Even if you have the fundamental knowledge, you need the brute force memorization since that's a large part of what the test is.The NBME score sure was demoralizing though, I thought I was screwed.

Four weeks in you want to be just at about 240. If you're studying hard fulltime most people "peak" at around 4 weeks, in terms of their rate of score progression. Another 2 or 3 weeks is good to put a little cushion on your score range to account for test day variability/luck and to make sure you score above your target. It's unrealistic to expect a 20+ point jump beyond what you're at @ 4 weeks of hardcore studying.