Do you regret not going to medical school directly after college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wongles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing college in 3 years. All my life I have been telling myself that I want to be a doctor. But now that I am actually in the midst of applying to medical school, I ask myself why I am actually doing this, and I don't think I can give you a coherent answer. In short, I don't think I am ready for medical school just quite yet.
I've done everything by the books: shadowing, research, volunteering...
I just wonder if I am missing something more in my life. I am only 20. How do I know for certain that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life if I haven't actually explored anything else?

My question is to you: Looking back, do you wish you had gone to medical school directly after college? Why or why not? How has your time "off" been an advantage or disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm finishing college in 3 years. All my life I have been telling myself that I want to be a doctor. But now that I am actually in the midst of applying to medical school, I ask myself why I am actually doing this, and I don't think I can give you a coherent answer. In short, I don't think I am ready for medical school just quite yet.
I just wonder if I am missing something more in my life. I am only 20. How do I know for certain that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life if I haven't actually explored anything else?

My question is to you: Looking back, do you wish you had gone to medical school directly after college? Why or why not? How has your time "off" been an advantage or disadvantage?

Nope, not really. I wasn't ready when I got out of high school. I actually wish I didn't even start school since I withdrew (incorrectly too), which is something I am trying to clean up now.

Medical school isn't going to disappear if you wait a few years...you'll also have the opportunity to open yourself up to more experiences which will help when you have to learn how to relate to your patients.

Explore and live your life...enjoy your twenties! I think if more perspective students did that instead of going right into medicine, they wouldn't already feel burned out when they are in their 30s.

Good luck :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Reactions: 1 users
Without a doubt -- I'm so glad I waited. Absolutely the right decision for me. My priorities in my twenties were not congruent with the commitment of medical school (how's that for politically correct neutrality?).

For some people, they know where they're at, they know what they want, and even at 20 they can make such a decision. I look at it like marriage. People get married right out of high school/college to their sweetheart, and sometimes it works out. At the time, it seems like the right decision because you can't see yourself with anyone else, and the idea of waiting a few years seems impossibly long and pointless. Ultimately the divorce rate for that demographic is pretty high, though. For me, I've kissed a lot of frogs (professionally) to know that medicine is where I want to be, and there is no way I could've had that same insight in my 20's.

However, one of my doctor friends went to med school right after college and is professionally and personally thriving. She tells me she couldn't imagine being a premed at 40 and is glad she went to med school when she was young and energetic.

Good luck finding your way and figuring out what timeline works best for you. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, one of the more important things that living life has taught me is that there is really no room for regret. There are simply the choices we make and the results we get from them; we keep moving along and making more choices along the way. As one of my friends occasionally reminds me, if we could have made a different choice at the time, we would have, meaning we made the choices that made sense to us at the time we made them.

I wasn't ready for medical school back then. I had the intelligence, but not the maturity, and ultimately, not the right kind of motivation. I needed time to grow into the person that I was when I finally made the leap to apply to medical school. The time just didn't feel ripe for it. There were still things I needed to sort out in my life and I trusted my instinct to guide me to the right things to do. Plenty of people kept trying to push me toward medicine along the way, but my heart wasn't into it. It was nearly 10 years before I decided that medicine was the right path for me and I'm glad that it took me that long. The 10 years between college and medical school were extremely rich and rewarding. If I were to sit here and describe all that I did and experienced, you'd be hearing me go on for some time. Let's just say that I really lived my life to the fullest and got to know myself a lot better. Then one day, I woke up and found that my life had led me back, full spiral (same place, different me), to the same choice point I had years ago; this time, it was the right time and my heart jumped at the opportunity.

Once I made my decision, I went back to school and retook many of my premed science classes and the MCAT. I got in on my first try and the rest is history. It seemed as if my entire life was leading me to that point. It was as if all the seemingly randomness of my choices now made sense.

Those 10 years away from school were absolutely a blessing. I feel a lot wiser and stronger than I was, right out of college. I've been through a lot of things, some good and some bad, that my younger colleagues have only heard of. I have become much more efficient in many areas of my life and more refined in choices. I think I am more able to sort through the BS much better than my younger self. Through all of the jobs I've held in the past 10 years, I learned a lot about people, how to talk to them, how to understand them, and how to listen better. These things usually translate as something intangible to the people I interact with, but it makes it easier to establish a connection with them. I actually had one standardized patient ask me if I had been in health care prior to medical school (I hadn't), because it seemed to him that I felt completely comfortable with the interview process and a bit ahead of my colleagues. I couldn't help but attribute this to my many years of experience in different fields.

Now, I gave some thought to your question of where I think waiting 10 years might not have served me. At the beginning, it was a bit more difficult to pull those all-nighters and to keep up such a rapid pace of learning and doing. I'm sure everyone has a hard time with these things, but for some reason, I felt that it was just a tad bit harder for me, having been out of school for so long. Sometimes, I felt as slow as a rock compared to my younger colleagues, who seemed to have a lot more energy and were just so incredibly sharp. I had to push myself through some things and sweating from the effort, I'd find my younger colleagues at the finish line having not even broken a sweat. Yet, after some time, I eventually adjusted and it wasn't a problem.

Another thing is that I sometimes feel a bit alone, that I am not as understood by my younger colleagues. What I mean is that I am sometimes more keenly aware of the gap between my younger colleagues and I. I grew up in a slightly different time and had slightly different experiences. When I was finishing high school, many of my colleagues were in kindergarten/first grade. I grew up before computers were household appliances, when they still filled entire rooms. The first president I remember was Jimmy Carter and I had a Bee Gee's lunch box when I was kid. I recall having dinner and hearing that John Lennon had been shot and killed on our huge tube TV set. So yeah, there is a bit of gap. But beyond all that, I'm pretty much done with all the partying, silly sophomoric stuff I used to do when I was in my twenties, etc., etc. Many of my younger colleagues are still into all that, and they should be, but I often don't feel like spending my time like that, so I'm not hanging out with them and it can be a bit isolating. Yet, the experience of medical school is so strong that it does create a unifying bond even despite all that. I also end up connecting with my younger colleagues in other ways and am well liked. I am an excellent listener and have obviously been around the block a few times, so people end up sharing a lot of stuff with me that they want to get off their chest or want opinions on.

Anyway, that's the long and short of it. Two years of medical school done and I am the age that I am. I have no regrets.

Last edited:
That's a good question. I sometimes have wondered whether I should have gone to medical school earlier rather than waiting an extra few years. I wasn't too happy about being late. Then I learned about medical students, SDN, and their general experiences in life. I ended up realizing that while I may have "lost" a couple of years, I have gained so many important experienced about so many different subjects and life in general that my entire journey has been very worthy. I sometimes ask myself how different would I have been if I didn't "waste" all that extra time having a crash course in life and I don't like what I see. I would have become a doctor without ever knowing much else besides medicine. I have tried everything from going to Saturn, to legal research and slicing rat brains. Also think about this: after years of learning the exact same thing as your other colleages in medicine, how unique of a doctor do you think you are going to be? I am a firm believer that eventually what makes one doctor more unique than the other doctor is his/her non-medical knowledge.

Now going straight to medschool has advantages too, but the main one is that you'll get to finish your residency a few years younger than non-trads. That's certainly nice too. Still, you have to ask yourself - if you are going to be very busy as a resident and doctor, are you really going to have any time to expand your knowledge much beyond the world of pure medicine? Probably not. It is unfortunate, but there are some things that you can only do before you start this entirely taxing medical "process" where you sign your life away to just one subject. I couldn't do that. Art, physics, philosophy, literature, poetry, psychology, classical music... and so many other subjects are the quintessential beauty of life. If the only thing you know in-depth is medicine, you have watched life pass you by.

Now going straight to medschool has advantages too, but the main one is that you'll get to finish your residency a few years younger than non-trads. That's certainly nice too. Still, you have to ask yourself - if you are going to be very busy as a resident and doctor, are you really going to have any time to expand your knowledge much beyond the world of pure medicine? Probably not.

That is why people work part-time once they are done with their residency.

That is why people work part-time once they are done with their residency.

That's probably rare, from what I have seen. And the question is also: can you afford to? You are going to have $200K+ loans that have compounding interest. That's $2000-3000 payment every month just for the loans. Now if you also have a wife? If you also have a kid? Mortgage payment? Car? As a beginning doctor, I also don't know how many hospitals will take you on a part time basis. You will not have built any partnerships by then and if you join one in hopes of becoming a full partner one day you will have to do a lot of the grunt work as a beginning doctor. I wouldn't count on being able to work part time after over a decade of no work and loans + interest. This might be true for the very few in limited number of specialties.

I am extremely glad I waited. Like many before me, I was not mentally ready to tackle medical school straight out of college. In fact, I didn't even finish college my first time around; I quit to get married and start a family. No regrets. I went back to become a nurse to start bringing in a livable wage part time after being a stay at home mom for a few years. Even after all that, I wasn't ready. All through my early twenties people, especially my mom and co-workers, kept saying "You should go back to school. You should become a doctor." I brushed it off, made excuses, doubted myself. The day I turned 27 I stepped into "my grown woman". It took me 10 years of maturing, post-high school, to realize who I was, what I wanted, and how to achieve my goals. I am thankful for those years and I would not have done it any other way. Could not have done it any other way.

Not so much regret. Can't change the past. But given the choice would I have rather known what I wanted to do earlier and been a more responsible young man so I could have been an attending at age 27-32 instead of 44-47? ABSOLUTELY. With potentially 17 years as an attending under my belt by the time I was 44, I have a feeling I'd be a much better physician at that age than a baby attending at 44.

If I could go back and advise my 20-year-old self, I would tell her to do a combined MD/PhD program instead of separate degrees. But unfortunately, I didn't know about these programs back then.

Listen, as others have already said, regret is pointless. Nothing in the past can be undone. At each crossroad in your life, you have to make the best decision you can based on the information you have at that time. You'll never have all the info you need to make a perfect decision, and so you'll never be 100% sure that you've made the right decision. But you still have to make some decision nonetheless. I will tell you though that if you're having a lot of doubt about medicine right now, waiting for a year or two is a good idea. Training to be a physician is a long trip, and there isn't an easy offramp once you get on this highway.

First class question. And you know that because there aint an easy answer. Some of my regrets have regrets. Idleness. Of the utterly useless kind. Comprise some of them. Self helpy things about not regretting. hmmm. I regret every gut punch that knowcked the wind out of me.

It is what it is though. One thing about doing this as a seasoned person. Is that it's a seasoned person's gig. 21 year old's who've emerged unscathed from youth are sort of ridiculous in the context of the health care. Where bad news is common fare.

You can't generalize. Life isn't counted in years. But I'd pick the ragged and worn over the helplessly naive any day. For my kick ball team. If there ever is such a thing.

But. You? Well make your own move kid. You take one path it leads to another. And sometimes your circle back around. Sometimes not. Nothing wrong with being unsure. The dead certain type. Well. Often those are the craziest type of mf'er. No use comparing yourself to them.

No use doing things by a book. Unless you're writing it. No problem with stopping dead in your tracks. Sitting down and watching it all go by either.

Keeping asking yourself tough questions.

I regret every gut punch that knowcked the wind out of me.

:laugh: If I did that, I'd be so mired in regret that I'd just sit there and do nothing for the rest of my life. I think I developed a bit of "Rocky-esque" type of approach over the years with regard to those gut-wrenching body blows, which basically amounts to (from the most recent Rocky movie):

"...It ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done."

After awhile, you just realize that it's a part of life, and pick yourself back up, brush the dust off, and keep moving forward. Regret is optional. Nothing wrong with feeling it, but it's definitely not necessary.

Anyway, I agree with the message that you can't generalize. It's up to you OP. Write your own novel.

No regrets here, if anything I highly value each experience and choice made prior to deciding on med school. As stated above, each major choice was made deliberately; I could have chosen something different at that time if it were more important than the path I chose, Some experiences over this time were postitive, others were very challenging, all had an impact on who I am.

For areas that take many years to flesh out, like "should we have children" or "should we have multiple children", I put stock in what people much more experience than I have say, as I understand that one's perspective changes after a number of years. I know two physicians, in practice 20+ years, that are actively trying to get out of the field, and another that would like to but feels "trapped" by being middle aged and feeling unable to start over, at the bottom rung of a new field. My suspicion is that these physicians should have waited to decide on med school rather than enroll right after college.

I've experienced many other fields firsthand and understand that there is good and bad in each of them; although I will be less physically strong than many years ago, hopefully the additional maturity gained through these experiences will make me a more effective physician. I particularly value having worked with people who are good in every personal and professional sense of the word, but are among the lower economic classes; I would hate to become economically and professionally isolated from most of the country as some specialized high earners can be.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not regret it, not one little bit. I got to do a lot of really incredible things in my 20s that I would not have gotten to do if I was on the doctor path then. Every now and then, I have an inkling that it would have been nice to already be done with med school and residency, but I know that would have changed my life drastically. I'm happy with where I am and I'm excited about where I'm headed.

To the OP, though, if you're not sure about med school right now, then go do something else for a while. Med school isn't going anywhere. Not only that, but you are still young. Why don't you go traveling or do some medically-related volunteering in a third world country somewhere? Or even the peace corps? Or don't do anything medically related, and just go travel for a while? We spend so much time in this society focused on the finish line, that we don't really enjoy the journey. Maybe you should take the time, enjoy the journey, and make a story for yourself. That way, when you're ready and you are applying, you have something interesting and totally different to talk about. Or you will find something else that you love. I think that passion counts for a lot, and if you're not feeling it now, then you should focus on something else for a while.

You sound like me when I was finishing college in 1997. This is all I ever wanted to do, and it meant more to me than anything. I was so driven. It was almost idolatry I am embarrassed to say. It took almost losing sight in one eye and a near nervous breakdown for me to realize I seriously needed to evaluate what was important in life, and what wasn't. Had I gone to medical school back then, I'd be a very different person.

My answer to your question now is yes and no.

Yes because I am married with a three-year-old and another on the way, and there's the overwhelming guilt that is associated with putting your family through financial strain and being absent. Perpetually being a trainee gets old, too. I started feeling that as a third-year medical student and it hasn't changed. This is very hard for me. Fortunately, I have the most amazing wife who constantly supports and encourages me when I have guilt trips. Medicine is a career that you want to start young when you have no responsibilities. Getting into medical school is just the start. You're looking at 7 years minimum before you can think about having a real job and paying back your loans. Also, the climate is very different. Medical school tuition is way higher than ever, it's much harder to gain admission, student loans have higher interest rates now, and deferring loan repayments while you're a trainee are a thing of the past.

No because it took the experiences I had throughout the 10 years after college to make me who I am today and convince me that this is what I should be doing. I started medical school with an acute awareness of what I am excellent at and what I am not so excellent at. Unlike a lot of my classmates, medical school brought no real surprises. Perspective is everything. I can't be the best of the best, but I can be the best Scottish Chap that I should be. Knowing this alone was worth the wait. I think I bring something else to the career and it's a career like no other. You will be challenged in ways you never thought possible and rewarded in ways you cannot imagine.

Overall, think very, very hard before going down this road. It's not for the faint-hearted. If you can be gainfully employed in anything that you are content with and if it pays okay, you should stay where you are and not rock the boat. Unless you have a full scholarship or independent wealth with no accountability/forgiveness for poor choices made, it's a decision that is pretty much irreversible once you have begun medical school. I'm an intern now at a top program, and it's busy. This was my path. Find yours and don't let anyone talk you into/out of something. You know yourself best. Good luck...whatever you decide.

wongles please your just a kid, listen I have a firm belief all things happen for a reason, don't compare yourself to the 18/19 yr olds entering medical school, just think positive and you'll be fine,I understand it's hard not to feel self doubt but you must be strong.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to reply and tell your stories.
I have a lot to think about, and even though all of our experiences are different, I find these posts extremely helpful. So thank you once again.

I may have a different perspective, since I am going into vet med. High cost, low return.

Anyways, I probably would have done very well in vet school straight out of college. I was a 'good' student devoted to making my way in the world. However, I doubt I would have appreciated it. Today I learned I need to attend a distance learning med terminology class before orientation (which is ~45 days from now.) I know that I would have been bothered by the unexpected course with little warning and an additional textbook purchase (which isn't on any of the lists we have) would have really irritated me. Now, it is fine. Just not that important...much bigger things in life to spend energy on.

Beyond that, I think I appreciate this alot more now. This is an opportunity. Not everyone gets to do this. Plus, I have sampled other careers, had grand adventures, and met wonderful life mates (first one passed away) and friends. I doubt I would have been quite so open to these opportunities if I was worried about my skills/knowledge becoming stale or paying back large student loans (I worried enough about my UG loans!)

I also like who I am more now than in UG. I always wanted this career, but I wasn't always confident that I could achieve and thrive in it. That doesn't mean I don't have any nerves aboutr going back to school...but I know now I can d it, and I am not distracted by learning to live life as an adult. I know how to run a business and deal with customers and understand about balancing my desire to help with my need to have a profitable business (apparently a lack of awareness in this area is a top complaint about new vets from established vets.) I have more empathy.

So, no regrets. While I could probably retire earlier or have a better 'portfolio' of experience if I went straight out of school, I wouldn't have had the great pleasures and parts of my life that are now essential parts of my life and make wonderful memories.

I'm going to take the minority view. Going to med school straight out of college, for me, would have been the only way this could have been worth it. I can understand how one might not feel this way if one really did spend their twenties doing fun and exciting things, but that wasn't me. If I had gone to med school straight out of college, I could have been in private practice as an anesthesiologist before my 30th birthday, beginning to pay my loans off, with plenty of time left to start a family, and the ability to save and invest for early retirement if I so chose. But now, already having spent my twenties feeling beat down and oppressed by a corporate job, I've signed away almost the entirety of my thirties to medicine, and won't be able to begin having a normal life until I'm almost 40.

So, while if I could go back and do life over I wouldn't go to medical school at all, if I had to choose between going straight out of college and what I've done, I'd choose the former.

I don't regret anything because having decided on med school a little later in life, there really wasn't the option to start sooner.

That said, if you are seriously considering medical school, absolutely take a year or two to figure yourself out and prepare for the commitment. Beyond that, though, you may be setting yourself up for a little regret.

I'll be 30 when I graduate med school, so still relatively young. However it doesn't feel young when you consider some of the specialties (i.e. the ones I'm considering) require an additional 7 years of training, plus 2 years of research before you are finally are an attending. In that sense, I really envy the people in my class who will be done with their training at a younger age, even if it's just four years younger.

It's a funny thing -- I didn't feel like this when I started med school. But I'm halfway through medical school now, and once you're in the thick of it, the longer you go, the longer it feels like you have left. And when I see my high school and college friends starting to purchase homes and really settle into their lives, it's hard not to think at every stage "I could be starting residency now ... I could be finishing residency now ... I could be an attending now ..."

So I guess my bottom line is -- you'll never know for sure whether or not medicine is for you until you actually start. It sounds like you've already done a fair bit of exploring, which is great. I think Trismegistus's advice is actually pretty good -- it's easier to make this commitment at a younger age, and you can look forward to still being young when you reach the end point. And while you may absolutely have the chance to do some cool stuff during your twenties if you're not in med school, you'll be doing it at the cost of your 30's. And like I said, while I've enjoyed med school and look forward to my career and whatnot, sometimes it feels like the fruits of my labor are really, really far away.

But I'm halfway through medical school now, and once you're in the thick of it, the longer you go, the longer it feels like you have left. And when I see my high school and college friends starting to purchase homes and really settle into their lives, it's hard not to think at every stage "I could be starting residency now ... I could be finishing residency now ... I could be an attending now ..."

Yeah, I feel that way from time to time, as well. Many of my friends have been attending physicians for several years now and actually have teen-aged children and have nice homes, etc. I hear about their daily lives a lot. Most of my friends are living the kind of life I sometimes wish I were living now, instead of living like a student, without any real roots or life or money. Yet, it's funny, because when I talk to some of them (the non-physicians ones), they actually envy me, because I had the courage to pursue what I wanted (some of my friends feel stuck in a 9-5 they don't like). So, I guess it's 6 and one-half dozen of the other... It doesn't make the feelings easier and the path does seem long, but I would have probably felt this way right out of college, too, and indeed many of colleagues share some of these sentiments. Any way you cut it, becoming a doc is a long path. It sort of drains you a bit in the process and generally requires delaying gratification.

Good idea to go out and try some other things first. Come back to it when you know it's the right decision. This isn't really a question that someone can answer for you. What worked or didn't work for another person is rarely a good ruler. You have 3 years before you finish college anyway. Study hard and try to give yourself some options so that your have a choice of careers that you might like.

However, I'll go ahead and answer the question. I think it can work either way ... going straight through or coming back to it. I had a career before I came to medical school. Based on what I have seen up to now, I believe having life experiences can be beneficial in medical school and elsewhere. I'm glad I "waited" so to speak. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with going straight through for those that want to do that. There are pros and cons either way. One of the pros of going straight through is that you get that part of your life over with and you don't necessarily need to worry about school the rest of your life. One of the cons of going straight through is that you deal with some stressful patient issues that may be difficult to relate to if you haven't lived life outside of the academic environment. Another con of going straight through is that going to med school soon after undergrad can delay/impair significant relationships at an inopportune time.

It's a funny thing -- I didn't feel like this when I started med school. But I'm halfway through medical school now, and once you're in the thick of it, the longer you go, the longer it feels like you have left. And when I see my high school and college friends starting to purchase homes and really settle into their lives, it's hard not to think at every stage "I could be starting residency now ... I could be finishing residency now ... I could be an attending now ..."

I just wanted to note that starting later doesn't preclude home purchase or such. I actually bought my first house 2 years out of college. I have now bought/sold that house and another, and bought two others with my husband. The latest one is near school; a handman special that I am dumping a lot of work into the summer before school. I can also manage to pay for school with significantly less loans than I could have 8 years ago. I realize that isn't true for most people...but for me, it means a lot for my comfort level.

Also, finishing school; med, law, or otherwise, doesn't guarantee settlement into life. Some people never settled down, others will feel dissatisfied with their early commitment to a career, while others will be perfectly content till they have a midlife crisis, and others will, truely, settle into a contented life. The completion of med school....or any other time line, does not necessarily equate to a settled life.

Having said all that, it isn't EASY to go back. I worry about shifting from an active life with lots of independence running my own businesses and spending time with my husband to sitting in labs and lectures 8 hours a day and not actually having a whole lot of control over the next couple of years. I can't 'fire' my professors, like I can my clients. Also, there are some major emotional sacrafices. I will give up living in my beloved home with my beloved husband. All our projects in that home are grinding to a hault as we focus on the home near school. We will live apart for 4+ years. I can't reschedule classes and such to accomodate his work schedule for travel, vacations, and family visits. I won't have the opportunity to host friends/family for extended vacations. We are taking house mates in both homes to make life easier...relieve some financial pressure. I haven't sat through a conventional lecture class in 8 years. We are delaying starting a family, yet again. He is taking some hits to his career to enable mine.

So, for me, it would have been EASIER to do shortly after undergrad (I had an amazing internation research fellowship directly after undergrad that I wouldn't have sacrificed for even a full ride through vet school) but I don't think I would have been the same person. As others noted though, I did have amazing, life altering, once in a lifetime experiences during those years that only confirmed the deep desire I have to pursue this field. I have literally traveled around the world, spent months out to sea, looked eye to eye at whale sharks and whales, and proven my ability in fields and environments that most people cringe even imagining. I have great stories and a very different attitude towards life. I am much bolder and braver, and a good deal smarter and more empathetic than I was a decade ago.

So....I guess just a difference between easy and better in terms of my experience...and I doubt I settle down even after school, though maybe I will eventually have kids to help with that!

I want my time off to be meaningful. Do you have any suggestions as to what kinds of programs med students have found helpful? So far I've been suggested to look into Americorps and Fullbright Scholarships.

After college I had a six year stint in graduate school before going to medical school. Was I ready for med school at age 21? I'm sure I could have hacked it, but I had a few wild oats yet to sow. In retrospect I probably should have worked in a lab for two years, had some fun, made a few bucks, grown up a little bit more, and then gone. Being an attending at 32 is a damned sight better than 36 or 37.

I have no regrets not pursuing Medical School immediately after College.

I do however Regret spending Three years in Law School.

Seriously, can we find a bigger waste of intelligent peoples' time than Law School?

Why not just have a huge MMA event and let people bludgeon each others brains and body parts with padded swords and spears?

Go to Law School if you want to meet a group of deeply paranoid and mistrustful intellectuals. And if you want to do a case study of the true Sociopaths, join a big ritzy "FIRM".

Lol one of my interviews as a 3L I recall was with somebody in the tax department of Arthur Andersen. The interviewer was taken aback by the frank nature of my comments concerning what the actual business of their clientele might entail. Needless to say I wasn't so far off when they played a little game of "this is my ball. It took me 40 years to get a ball. Now I'm going home with it and no you can't see my records. ROFL"

But yet I Digress.

I don't even truly regret Law School and I most certainly don't regret living life for a couple of decades before dedicating my life to possibly prolonging or preserving the life of another.

I have no regrets not pursuing Medical School immediately after College.

I do however Regret spending Three years in Law School.

Seriously, can we find a bigger waste of intelligent peoples' time than Law School?

Why not just have a huge MMA event and let people bludgeon each others brains and body parts with padded swords and spears?

Go to Law School if you want to meet a group of deeply paranoid and mistrustful intellectuals. And if you want to do a case study of the true Sociopaths, join a big ritzy "FIRM".

Lol one of my interviews as a 3L I recall was with somebody in the tax department of Arthur Andersen. The interviewer was taken aback by the frank nature of my comments concerning what the actual business of their clientele might entail. Needless to say I wasn't so far off when they played a little game of "this is my ball. It took me 40 years to get a ball. Now I'm going home with it and no you can't see my records. ROFL"

But yet I Digress.

I don't even truly regret Law School and I most certainly don't regret living life for a couple of decades before dedicating my life to possibly prolonging or preserving the life of another.

I don't quite feel this as strongly anymore, but yeah, if I have regrets, it's going to law school straight out of college. If I could go back and talk to my 22 y/o self, I'd tell her it's OK to not jump into something like that right out of college, and if that means you have to wait tables, you have to wait tables. In retrospect, I also think I should have dropped out, and my thoughts about that have shaped my thoughts about life in general.

As for not going to medical school right out of college, I sometimes feel a little irked when I think about how much more money I'm paying than I would had I gone then, but that's it. I don't think I knew enough then to know that medical school was what I truly wanted to do, so I'd probably be like a lot of the other traditional students who become convinced that medicine sucks. My other life experiences have made me a lot happier being in medicine and have given me a clearer picture of what I want out of my life.

Wow, this is an amazing thread! As a 21 year old, I have been wrestling with applying to dental school now or waiting. I graduated in 2008 and have been working for two years now in business. While I am interested in the field, I know deep down my heart isn't 100% in it right now and I don't have 'the right kind of motivation' so to speak.
This thread has given me a lot of food for thought, so thanks for taking the time to write and to the OP for posting!

I thought I would toss in some perspective from a non-trad who didn't actually pursue another career, or take a lot of time off.

I did a 2 year post bac directly out of college followed by a glide year for my application, so Im entering med school at 25. I had time to do three years of full time productive research, with several publications along the way. Also, I had plenty of time to make sure I was ready to begin med school, fluff up my resume, and really take it easy. I didn't want to start school wiped out from a tough senior year.

I couldn't be happier with my path. I chose it so I could go to a wacky UG school which didn't even offer med school pre reqs except physics and calc. This gave me the chance to get my feet wet in a couple of different fields within the humanities, and really get a strong background in a field that has nothing overtly to do with medicine. I have never regretted for a single day the amazing education I got instead of taking the regular route to med school.

But even though Im only a couple years older than the trad students, the couple of years does make a big difference. You'll also see along the interview path now, many, many students are taking at least one year off before applying, which is adding up to at least two before school starts. So being non-trad doesn't mean you have to go back at 35, it can mean just enjoying a year or two off, and making sure you're fresh for the start of med school.

I wish I had. Sure, I would've given up on some of the cool things I've done. However, I'd be in my second year of residency right now and nearly done with all this silliness.

I'm 27 and entering my first year soon.

Five of my hs friends/classmates are in various stages of residency, so yes I sometimes wish I was at their stage. But then I remember what I was like at 22 and realize there was no way I could've made it through with the mentality I had at the time.

College->med school->residency->freedom would've been the ideal situation for me, but it didn't work out that way.

What if you really want to take a year off after college and get your mind straight but you parents are AFTER YOUR LIFE to go medical school (like me). I just graduated in June and I was totally planning on a year off my when my father decides to tell me that my future should involve going into medical school and nothing else. and that I SHOULD APPLY NOW. I dont even have enough time to study for the MCAT. I am the only child I dont want to let them down, but I am not serious about medical school yet either. How do I TELL them I want time off!!??

I just graduated in June and I was totally planning on a year off my when my father decides to tell me that my future should involve going into medical school and nothing else. and that I SHOULD APPLY NOW. I dont even have enough time to study for the MCAT.

Ask him if he wants you to apply or actually get in. Realistically, this cycle is done for you. You could perhaps cram for the MCAT and apply very late, but the odds of this working are extremely thin.

Assuming you actually want to go to medical school, it may help if you can formulate a plan that will maximize your chances of admission. Plot out when would be the optimal time to take the MCAT. Develop a preparation schedule and write it down. Identify potential weaknesses in your application and lay out specific plans to address them.

Many parents do not fundamentally understand how this process works. If you can demonstrate what you have to do to be competitive, and show plan to reach that goal, perhaps he will get off your back.

Ask him if he wants you to apply or actually get in. Realistically, this cycle is done for you. You could perhaps cram for the MCAT and apply very late, but the odds of this working are extremely thin.

Assuming you actually want to go to medical school, it may help if you can formulate a plan that will maximize your chances of admission. Plot out when would be the optimal time to take the MCAT. Develop a preparation schedule and write it down. Identify potential weaknesses in your application and lay out specific plans to address them.

Many parents do not fundamentally understand how this process works. If you can demonstrate what you have to do to be competitive, and show plan to reach that goal, perhaps he will get off your back.

I am a Canadian student and the application deadlines range from October to December. That is not really my problem. My exam is on September 4th and I am only applying to the Schools in Canada that accept MCAT scores even after the application deadline has passed. The issue is that I want to take a year off, and they are just not buying into my idea. I think he just wants me to APPLY at this point regardless if I get in or not. But I don't even want to do that. I was totally planning on a year off and then applying for MED. But clearly my plan is not working out.

What if you really want to take a year off after college and get your mind straight but you parents are AFTER YOUR LIFE to go medical school (like me). I just graduated in June and I was totally planning on a year off my when my father decides to tell me that my future should involve going into medical school and nothing else. and that I SHOULD APPLY NOW. I dont even have enough time to study for the MCAT. I am the only child I dont want to let them down, but I am not serious about medical school yet either. How do I TELL them I want time off!!??

I just stopped seeing mine, and hang up whenever they call and mention MCAT or anything medical school related:D Not that I would recommend it but it brought down my stress level.

I just stopped seeing mine, and hang up whenever they call and mention MCAT or anything medical school related:D Not that I would recommend it but it brought down my stress level.

I live with mine AND they are paying for my education. So that is not really an option.

Time to grow up and spread those wings. Trust me, he'll respect you more if you stand your ground (eventually). Just let him in on your reasoning. It's YOUR LIFE, and you're sharing it with him, not the other way around. The sooner he gets that his opinions are welcome as long as he respects that it's your decision to make, the happier BOTH of you will ultimately be (or at least you anyway). As long as your choices are honorable, you can't control whether he'll be disappointed or not and that's really not your burden. Granted you don't want to needlessly disappoint your parents by being a tool, but sounds to me like you're making a personal choice that has dignity.

Time to grow up and spread those wings. Trust me, he'll respect you more if you stand your ground (eventually). Just let him in on your reasoning. It's YOUR LIFE, and you're sharing it with him, not the other way around. The sooner he gets that his opinions are welcome as long as he respects that it's your decision to make, the happier BOTH of you will ultimately be (or at least you anyway). As long as your choices are honorable, you can't control whether he'll be disappointed or not and that's really not your burden. Granted you don't want to needlessly disappoint your parents by being a tool, but sounds to me like you're making a personal choice that has dignity.
It's not always as easy as that. Some people struggle with cultural taboos against disrespecting the wishes of one's parents, and the American mantra of rugged individualism obviously conflicts with that. Also, the Golden Rule of economics applies here: He who has the gold (the person's dad) makes the rules.

burningsoul, I sympathize with your predicament, and I had analogous difficulties with my own parents at your age. (Even now, when I'm 34 with a PhD and most of an MD, my mom *still* tells me not to go places alone after it gets dark.) There is no easy solution. I chose to take the route nontradfogie suggested, and it led to my parents not coming to my college graduation and us being estranged for several years. We all did and said things we still regret tremendously, over a decade later. That time and pain can never entirely be made up for. However, I did have a chance to "find myself," so to speak, and it's impossible for me to say that things would have been better if I had followed my parents' wishes from the getgo. My advice would be to talk to another adult you know and trust and get their input. But you have to understand that it may be impossible to make everyone happy, and then you will have to make a difficult choice. I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution you can live with.

It's not always as easy as that. Some people struggle with cultural taboos against disrespecting the wishes of one's parents, and the American mantra of rugged individualism obviously conflicts with that. Also, the Golden Rule of economics applies here: He who has the gold (the person's dad) makes the rules.

burningsoul, I sympathize with your predicament, and I had analogous difficulties with my own parents at your age. (Even now, when I'm 34 with a PhD and most of an MD, my mom *still* tells me not to go places alone after it gets dark.) There is no easy solution. I chose to take the route nontradfogie suggested, and it led to my parents not coming to my college graduation and us being estranged for several years. We all did and said things we still regret tremendously, over a decade later. That time and pain can never entirely be made up for. However, I did have a chance to "find myself," so to speak, and it's impossible for me to say that things would have been better if I had followed my parents' wishes from the getgo. My advice would be to talk to another adult you know and trust and get their input. But you have to understand that it may be impossible to make everyone happy, and then you will have to make a difficult choice. I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution you can live with.

Thank you! I do come from a conservative culture AND I am the only child, I don't know if I mentioned that. It's definitely not easy reasoning with my fahter especially if you want peace in the house.

But Thank you everyone for your answers!

I just have to say, that this is one of the most heart touching and interesting posts I've ever read in my life. Reading everyones personal experiences is just so encouraging. It makes you realize that you have to live life your own way, make the right decisions at the right times, and enjoy it. We all may end up at the same destinations, but our roads will all be very different. The paths we will take will all have an impact on our lives in some way shape or form. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It means so much.

For me, absolutely not. I was too immature 10 years ago to fully take advantage of being in med school. I can't remember the last time I was this excited applying for any position. I am 29 btw.

Medicine gives you options. If you don't like what you are doing in one area, you can change into another area/type of practice. Many of my friends hated the private practice routine but love being a hospitalist. Other friends love being able to stay in their office without going into the hospital. Still others like working as an employee for a mega practice and others love academia/research. I have another friend who is a locum tenens general surgeon who loves the travel.

I have no regrets in terms of seeking to practice medicine at a later age. I never had any "time off" because I was a research scientist/professor before attending medical school. My years were spent doing research and teaching which led to my application to medical school along the way.

In terms of "regrets" about anything, I don't have them. Experience is experience and I do what seems to be the right thing for me at the time. You can't have everything at every time in your life. For every road that you travel down, there is another road that could have been taken. In terms of life, nothing is "etched in stone" and you can change at any point. The older I get, the more options I have.

I was by no means ready to apply and attend med school when I graduated in 2002, not only that, I wasn't even ready while I was in undergrad to be a pre med major. The maturity, focus and drive needed were not there and for me to have even thought to go forward with medical school would have been a joke...:laugh:

If you don't apply now, don't feel bad at all...when the right "season" comes along for you to apply, you'll know. Now that I've been out on my own and working, I know what it is I want to do and have been working towards that goal, I know the work it will take to get there and instead of waiting on instant gratification, I've learned how to work towards something. It can be frustrating at times, but I know in the end it will be definitely worth it!

It's a tough question.

As I was graduating high school, my plan was to apply to college as pre-med and med school to after. 3 months b4 my graduation, I learned of PA profession. I applied to two PA schools and was accepted. During my training I met some remarkable neurosurgeons and an unbelievable PA. I never looked back. It wasn't until 3 to 4 years ago that I started looking at medical school option.

Looking back, I would still go the same route. Becoming a physician is a big commitment. A lot of things need to fall in place before you can become one. So if there is a doubt, wait until you are ready.

Good luck.:p

Not at all. I wouldn't trade the experiences/time in the Army* for anyting, even the bad ones.

I am hopeful that it will make me a better physician.

What have a sacrificed by doing this?

7 years of income potential and the stability to start a family.

It doesn't bother me.

*Note: I am not advocating joining the Army. It's just what I did.

I want my time off to be meaningful. Do you have any suggestions as to what kinds of programs med students have found helpful? So far I've been suggested to look into Americorps and Fullbright Scholarships.

Peace Corps. Travel the world. Do some good.

See what you can do to have a hand in medicine and see what medicine is about (though, admittedly, not American Medicine).