AZCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunDevilDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find this thread so I figured I would start it.
I'm in AZ and I heard that there was an open house in June sometime, but does anyone know if there will be another one the rest of the summer? I want to go see the school and everything it's got.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying to AZCOM as well...it seems to have a strong reputation...especially given its match list from this past graduating class...

Would love to leave the northeast for the dry heat of the southwest...

Check out my mdapps...hope i have a shot, if you know something i don't, please let me know...

Best of luck to everyone...

This school is one of my top choices. I'll have my secondary application submitted very soon. Anyone know when they start reviewing apps and sending out interview invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear anything from them about being complete? I submitted my secondary and letters a couple weeks ago and the online portal says they have not received my letters. I emailed them a few days ago to check on status...but have not gotten a response.

Anyone hear anything from them about being complete? I submitted my secondary and letters a couple weeks ago and the online portal says they have not received my letters. I emailed them a few days ago to check on status...but have not gotten a response.

You will have to call them. AZCOM is absolutely GOD AWFUL about responding via email, unlike CCOM which usually responds the same day.

I don't know what's going on with AZCOM's admissions office, they are not always the most helpful or friendly people.

The admissions lady told me on the phone today that they only accept or reject, and that there is no hold status for an application. I do not believe this at all. Can anybody confirm this??

Hi guys,

Don't let the admissions office of the school get you down. There were some not-so helpful people there last year when I applied... which almost turned me off from the school entirely. However, when I actually went to the school for my interview, people were quite nice and helpful there, and since receiving my acceptance - everyone in the admissions and student services offices have been super great. So don't let your initial run-ins with the admissions office affect your perception of the school.

With that said, I would certainly recommend you apply EARLY. I sent in all my materials last year in October, was complete mid-November, got an interview invite in December for a late-February interview (as all the earlier interview spots were booked). I had to keep checking the online system a billion times to finally capture a January interview which eventually opened up. If I had known how aggravating the process would be, I would have certainly applied much sooner... as I envied all the people who had acceptances by October/November instead of me who didn't know if I was going to med school or not until February. So I strongly advise you all to apply early, so that you aren't waiting months just to get an interview invite (when all the schools are burdened with applications). Best wishes to you all! :luck:

The admissions lady told me on the phone today that they only accept or reject, and that there is no hold status for an application. I do not believe this at all. Can anybody confirm this??

Sometimes I would rather just be rejected right out, instead o fbeing put "on hold" and teased for months.

Sometimes I would rather just be rejected right out, instead o fbeing put "on hold" and teased for months.

qft. unless of course you get an acceptance forget about the school for a while then last minute you get in and it was your top choice thatd be cool ... but not as cool as getting in off the bat.

Have read a lot of complaints in older posts about the possibility of some of AZCOM's clinical rotation spots being stolen away by ATSU/SOMA. How does this make sense??? AZCOM has been there since the 1990's and SOMA is practiclly brand new. How could a new school steal them away?

Have read a lot of complaints in older posts about the possibility of some of AZCOM's clinical rotation spots being stolen away by ATSU/SOMA. How does this make sense??? AZCOM has been there since the 1990's and SOMA is practiclly brand new. How could a new school steal them away?

I don't see how that is possible.

Soma is tied with CHC's. Ten of them across the USA. If you mean sites in
Phoenix, there are only 10 ish students who stay here for years 2-4. There are also 10 ish students in Tucson.

I would be more concerned with the U of A campus in Phoenix then ATSU.

I don't see how that is possible.

Soma is tied with CHC's. Ten of them across the USA. If you mean sites in
Phoenix, there are only 10 ish students who stay here for years 2-4. There are also 10 ish students in Tucson.

I would be more concerned with the U of A campus in Phoenix then ATSU.

Exactly. I forgot to mention that SOMA students usually leave AZ. As for U of A, that was another concern. They are more likely to give newer clincial sites to the MD school. But still, besides that, what is the huge issue with AZCOM clincals? The older posts from current students absolutely trash it, while some say it is fine. Like I said, there are plenty of med schools where students are somewhat on their own when setting up clinicals, not just AZCOM.

Is anyone who used interfolio complete yet? I sent my letters ages ago, and asked for a status update. The said they were waiting on my letters, but just started downloading interfolio this week. I figured mine would be in the first batch. Oh well, no need to get anal. I just worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed them to check on the status b/c it still said they hadn't received my LORs and about 2weeks later, they emailed back saying they just started scanning them and to be patient.

This morning I got an email saying to send in my letters b/c they don't have them and my file will not be reviewed until they get them. I don't know if I should resend them or not now.

I emailed them to check on the status b/c it still said they hadn't received my LORs and about 2weeks later, they emailed back saying they just started scanning them and to be patient.

This morning I got an email saying to send in my letters b/c they don't have them and my file will not be reviewed until they get them. I don't know if I should resend them or not now.

when you log in to the status page does it say you are missing letters? I only ask this because i used virtualevals too :confused:

Maybe it's something with Interfolio. I had my committee letter sent VirtualEvals and DO letter was mailed. I just checked my status and both AZCOM & CCOM still have them as "received".

i went through virtual evals too and only AZCOM recieved my letters but it says i still need my letters for CCOM. Maybe it has something to do with when they actually download the letters.

on a side not how long do you guys think it will take before we hear any news about interviews once everything is in

Maybe it's something with Interfolio. I had my committee letter sent VirtualEvals and DO letter was mailed. I just checked my status and both AZCOM & CCOM still have them as "received".

did you mail in the DO letter on your own, I ask because I have a DO letter that is being written but all my stuff was sent through virtual evals I was just thinking I could speed up the process by having the doc mail it in to the schools

i went through virtual evals too and only AZCOM recieved my letters but it says i still need my letters for CCOM. Maybe it has something to do with when they actually download the letters.

on a side not how long do you guys think it will take before we hear any news about interviews once everything is in

not really sure but i hope soon ive been complete at this school for a while now and would really like some good news soon :)

Dont know how long it takes but they informed me interview invites will start going out in mid-August.

Hey. . . How many letters of recommendation did you guys send? Just the two they ask for, or did anyone send more than that. . . ? I have six that I want to send!! I don't know how extra letters are looked upon, though.

Thanks! =)

SIX!!!! Wow.....I think you should talk to the admissions and then send accordingly....IMO I think its too much!!! but its only my opinion :cool:

Hey. . . How many letters of recommendation did you guys send? Just the two they ask for, or did anyone send more than that. . . ? I have six that I want to send!! I don't know how extra letters are looked upon, though.

Thanks! =)

SIX!!!! Wow.....I think you should talk to the admissions and then send accordingly....IMO I think its too much!!! but its only my opinion :cool:

Haha, yeah, it IS a lot. They all say different things, though. I figured if no one here could give me info. over the weekend then I'd give em a call on Mon. Thanks for your opinion!

Haha, yeah, it IS a lot. They all say different things, though. I figured if no one here could give me info. over the weekend then I'd give em a call on Mon. Thanks for your opinion!

I am sending 5 to my schools. I have 8 total letters, but 3 of them are just so-so (not that I have seen them , just a feeling). I feel it is a good number, and I have been pretty fortunate so far. Although, AZCOM still says they do not have my letters, and they are the only school that doesn't.

Hi. For those of you who submitted the secondary already, did you receive a notification to fill it out from AZCOM? My AACOMAS application was released July 16th, yet I have heard absolutely nothing from AZCOM. If we do not need a notification to fill out the secondary, would you kindly point out to me where I can find the secondary prompt? Thanks a lot.

Hi. For those of you who submitted the secondary already, did you receive a notification to fill it out from AZCOM? My AACOMAS application was released July 16th, yet I have heard absolutely nothing from AZCOM. If we do not need a notification to fill out the secondary, would you kindly point out to me where I can find the secondary prompt? Thanks a lot.

i was verified on the 23rd of july and sent to schools like the 30th. CCOM was the first school i got back and since AZCOM is a sister school i just saw there application up there too a little bit later on in the day. i never recieved any email from them telling me to fill it out but i think i was supposed to. i would probably call them to find out whats up

Hi, KB24,

Thank you for the information. I shall call their office then. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will pick it up. Incidentally, do you happen to know a link to the secondary anywhere? I searched through CCOM and AZCOM websites yet could not find it. Thanks again.

How important do you think DO letter is to AZCOM? I have good MD letters, but I don't have significant relationships with any DOs. Thanks!

How important do you think DO letter is to AZCOM? I have good MD letters, but I don't have significant relationships with any DOs. Thanks!

I was accepted at AZCOM and CCOM without a DO letter, only one MD letter, so it seems that it does not really matter.

I was accepted at AZCOM and CCOM without a DO letter, only one MD letter, so it seems that it does not really matter.

I was also accepted w/out a DO letter and only 1 MD letter. Don't think it matters much.

Has anybody been complete at this school? I sent in my Interfolio letters more than two weeks ago, and still am UNCOMPLETE. Does anybody know how long it's supposed to take? I keep calling them, and they keep telling me they haven't "looked" at any letters yet?

SMC123,

I'm in the same boat. I submitted everything to both CCOM and AZCOM at the same time. Just got my "complete" letter from CCOM and AZCOM apparently has not received my MCAT score or my LORs. My guess is they are just slower, and probablly in the middle of orientation. I'll let you know if anything changes.

SMC123,

I'm in the same boat. I submitted everything to both CCOM and AZCOM at the same time. Just got my "complete" letter from CCOM and AZCOM apparently has not received my MCAT score or my LORs. My guess is they are just slower, and probablly in the middle of orientation. I'll let you know if anything changes.

What's this "complete" letter?? My application status for AZCOM and CCOM has been showing that everything is received since early June and I still havent gotten any letter. I thought since my status shows everything as received it means I'm complete...?

My status showed the same thing, and I figured I was complete as well (all green checks) then this morning I received an email from CCOM saying "this email is to inform you that your application is complete." I'm sure you are complete as well!

My status showed the same thing, and I figured I was complete as well (all green checks) then this morning I received an email from CCOM saying "this email is to inform you that your application is complete." I'm sure you are complete as well!

I'm sure too but that freaked me out a little. I just emailed AZCOM & CCOM about my status, as I wouldnt be able to call until this evening but CCOM usually has a response within 24 hours.

I have had a lot of problems with my LOR's and AZCOM. I sent them electronically via Interfolio on 7/9/09 and for several weeks they were still not showing up in their system. I called several times and got transferred to a voicemail that never returned my calls. Because I never heard from someone I resent them on 8/5/09. I called again today and was able to talk to someone who located the letters and they are supposed to be downloaded today. So if your having problems I guess just keep working on them until it gets worked out? I am kind of bummed because this is one of my top schools and I don't want to be delayed because of this.

Funny admissions people they have. Now they are telling me it takes 4-6 weeks to process the letters? In that time, I'm guessing I'll know of my interview in about 2-3 years...:laugh:

How long did it take all of you to receive a secondary from AZCOM? They have had my primary for a week now. From all the LOR issues, I am guessing I will be waiting awhile.

Interview invitation!

No e-mail...I checked my status on the interview invite link.

Same here. Just scheduled AZCOM interview for September 22. Check your interview status on the Midwestern portal. I did not get an email invite either!!!

I was able to schedule an interview as well! Friday Sept. 18th. Isn't that kind of weird that they don't send an e-mail invitation? Thanks guys for checking that and then posting; I am sure that I would not have checked it for quite a while!

With all the talk on UNECOM's thread about high tuition, I'm surprised no one has mentioned AZCOM's. Don't get me wrong, Iw ould love to go to this school but, man, their tuition last year was over $43,000. That's pretty high. Especially when, according to the CIB, the average scholarship/grant amount was only like $1,800.

Thanks for posting about checking portal. I was selected for an interview as well. It looks like they interview a lot of people since they had a lot of dates. It says that if you cannot make it to those dates you will be notified of more dates. I wanted to go in October since I will missing so much work already in September. Do I just wait for more dates and not select anything now? I didn't know if I waited too long would it then withdraw my app automatically or something. Do I need to call them and let know I am waiting for more dates??

invite via email at 3am eastern time...

i think im going to be broke, too much traveling

Last edited:
I submitted my letters through Interfolio 3 weeks ago, and still I am incomplete. I have been calling them almost everyother day (interfolio department at AZCOM and admissions), either they don't return the voicemail, or say they are running behind. Yet, I just got a email today from them telling me how im incomplete, LIKE I ALREADY DONT KNOW. I am already sick of this school. Not picking up, not returning emails, not returning voicemails, is this a medical school or a joke?

I submitted my letters through Interfolio 3 weeks ago, and still I am incomplete. I have been calling them almost everyother day (interfolio department at AZCOM and admissions), either they don't return the voicemail, or say they are running behind. Yet, I just got a email today from them telling me how im incomplete, LIKE I ALREADY DONT KNOW. I am already sick of this school. Not picking up, not returning emails, not returning voicemails, is this a medical school or a joke?

I went through the exact same thing. After not getting in touch with anyone I just resent my letters and called two days later and they said they had them. So even though I sent my letters the first time on 7/8/09, because they never showed up there I wasn't complete until 8/6/09..... kind of frustrating.

Hey Everyone-

I saw that a couple of people were talking about sending in 5 or more letters... the secondary asks for only 2. Is that a maximum of two letters, or a minimum? In other words, if I send in 4, will they read them all? Or will they just randomly pick two?