married pod couples and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedude121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have heard that when one is matching in MD/DO programs they offer a couples match for those who are married and are applying for residency at the same time. Does anyone know if such a thing is there for married podiatry students?

Members don't see this ad.

i have heard that when one is matching in MD/DO programs they offer a couples match for those who are married and are applying for residency at the same time. Does anyone know if such a thing is there for married podiatry students?

I've never heard of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Allo match definitely offers the couples match option... I don't know if osteo match does or not?

I've never heard of any couples match option for DPMs... I've met sets of husband/wife or engaged pod students/residents, and they've never mentioned a thing about it. I'm 99% sure there is no such thing, but you could contact CASPR ( www.casprcrip.org ) to verify.

I think what you basically do as a pod student couple is just decide if you want to be in the same city yet different programs or the same program. That's personal preference with pro/con to both situations:
-same program means you'll see eachother more, but it makes vacation time requests together very tough, your skills will be nearly carbon copy, and your match options will probably be limited by the partner who is weaker applicant (just like MD couples matches are limited)
-same city but different programs means each can match a program to their level, you may get different skill sets, and might get vaca together, but you probably won't see eachother much (esp first year) if one/both match busy programs.

If you are good students, you will probably know where you are likely to match after interviews (maybe even before). If you decide you want the same program, you might be best served by clerking at programs that have many entry level positions (3+... preferrably 4 or 5/yr) and just being direct with the attendings/director. Nothing in match CASPR rules prevents you from telling the programs that at the interviews/clerkships that you intend to match as a couple at the same program (theirs or otherwise)... they don't have to respond, but they might give you a hint or advice on your goal.

GL, and contact CASPR for more info; they are generally quite helpful in my experience.

there is a pod couple here at DMU for 2013

There was a fourth year couple that just graduated, who both matched at Long Beach Memorial (in CA). Of course her father (I believe) currently works at the hospital so I am sure that was extremely helpful!

There is no such thing in podiatry. Being a couple may actually HURT your chances. Directors may ask you, what if we only want one of you?

Couples Match? Now I heard everything! She must wear the scrubs in that relationship lol Are you gonna ask for paternity leave as well?

Couples Match? Now I heard everything! She must wear the scrubs in that relationship lol Are you gonna ask for paternity leave as well?

thank you for the sarcasm. being that we have two children it would be difficult for us to take residencies in different states or worse different parts of the country. im sorry that you think matters like this are so hillarious.

Reactions: 1 user
Thats a tough situation to address dude121, best of luck with your research though, let us know what ya find!

and i wouldnt be offended by Norm, read through some of his posts and youll see how quality he is.

Another good thing to consider is that many metro areas have multiple residencies. I think this would be a better fit for both the program and the resident.

You can live together and work separately, which reduces problems all around.

I am engaged to someone in my class and we decided to focus on an area with a large number of programs/resident spots. Many of the cities with a high number of programs are also those with podiatry schools nearby. If you're not geographically restricted, you could look at those cities or pick a more neutral one. Detroit has a large number of strong programs with no school nearby.

I think the best advice is what has already been mentioned by a couple of people. You need to focus on areas with multiple residency programs in close proximity so that even if you end up at different programs, you're still in the same city. I did have a couple in my class match at the same program but they were #1 and #2 in the class.

couple from azpod last year matched to 2 differenct programs in the same big city (l.a.).

I agree with above posts, you need to pick a big city with mult. programs (i.e. chicago, l.a.) and try to get the same city.