What's your "back-up" plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Near

Kung Fu Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just in case applying to dental school doesn't work out, or if something uncanny happens like your hands getting crushed in a tragic skiing accident. ;)

For me, I have no idea what I would do, except that it wouldn't be in the sciences. Maybe apply to graduate school (perhaps in a social science) until I think of something better. There's always law school, but that's the last alternative...

Members don't see this ad.

I have been exhausting my brain cells just to think about the plan B :)
I am thinking about M.P.H and hopefully PhD after that. But I am hoping that I NEVER have to go this route. Bio majors cant do exactly much. So lets see

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll die trying

Lol, now that's what I call attitude!

*flash-forward when you finally do become a dentist*

"Damn it, I'll never give up on removing this tooth! You hear me? Never!".

Okay, usually I don't have that much fun on SDN...:shrug:

If I don't get into school anywhere, I'll take a 1 year Master's program in bio/bchm, retake the DAT, and volunteer/shadow more.

If my hands are crushed? Make sure I always have a girlfriend.

And if you guys really like dentistry, I suppose anyone could always try to be a dental assistant or hygienist after not getting into dental school...

Police officer...after not getting into d-school, the tickets I right to all the adcoms will taste oh so sweet...

If my hands are crushed? Make sure I always have a girlfriend.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anyways, I would go for my masters in microbiology at UF. Hopefully build up a nice post-grad GPA. Continue volunteering. Continue shadowing. Get some research onto my resume! Wash, rinse, repeat, reapply! :claps:

i figure if i apply to nyu for 27 years and never get in, they'll be tired of reading my application and will give me the nod. i'd be 50 by then but who cares

Either work as an engineer or try to become a professor.

I have thought about this so much. I have 2 options.

A) Start my masters at UT-Austin where I'm currently at. The cost of living and school is higher here and my gpa will probably remain where it's at... 3.3ish.

B) I could go back home and start my masters at a University close by. The tuition there is dirt cheap and I know I can make a 4.0 because the classes are a joke.

So my question is, which would look better to adcoms. A not so high gpa at a competitive university, or a very high gpa at a not so competitive university?

What option would you guys choose?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to think about it. I'm already on backup plan B, I don't think I can handle plan C.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to think about it. I'm already on backup plan B, I don't think I can handle plan C.

What was your original plan? Admission to medical school?

I will continue to try to apply to Dental School until I get in. If it takes me 5 years, then so be it. Right now I am working on prereqs and will hopefully apply the first time next year. If I don't get in, I'll likely graduate with my second degree in Biology (I'm a nontrad going back to schol) and look at graduate school options, maybe a non thesis MS in a Biology related field.

I've already given up a career, moved across my state to a city my wife and I know nobody in for this career, so I am not going to stop if I get rejected a few times.

Either work as an engineer or try to become a professor.

dude, could you really go back to that? i just finished working 2 years as a civil engineer, and if i had to go back to that i would jump in front of a bus.

ok, it's not that bad, but i've just been so excited for dental school that engineering pales in comparison.

dude, could you really go back to that? i just finished working 2 years as a civil engineer, and if i had to go back to that i would jump in front of a bus.

ok, it's not that bad, but i've just been so excited for dental school that engineering pales in comparison.

The thing is I'm still in college and have never worked as an engineer, so I don't know what it's like first hand. If I were to go into engineering I'd probably go for a research based job which would hopefully be more interesting. I'm definitely glad I switched paths though.

What was your original plan? Admission to medical school?

No it was dental as well, but I didn't get accepted my first try, only got 1 interview at BU. So plan B was 1 year Masters and re-apply.