Prescribers Fearing Opioids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that prescribers are fearing opioids nowadays? In my personal example, I recently reinjured my knee, I've been to my orthopedic surgeon of 5 years like 6 times in the last 2 months.

He put me on ibuprofen (which did work for the inflammation but not sharp pain), then switched to naproxen, then switched to nabumetone, and today first wanted to go with difclofenac and ended up giving me meloxicam. I mean, what is it with this fascination of NSAIDs. Generally when it comes to sharp pain, isn't it better to go with an opioid?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, opioids are used if NSAIDs or other lesser analgesics are ineffective. There is also some prescriber preference involved. Good physicians avoid prescribing opioids unless they're absolutely needed, and won't pass out opioids in every pain case. However, I'm not sure why he would still want you to take NSAIDs if a bunch of them failed on you.

Some doctors are more conservative in giving opioids because they know the potential for addictiveness and the new set of problems that can be created from them. Also, (forgive me if I'm wrong, I haven't gotten too far in my clinical knowledge of pain management yet), I think that if it's something needed for the long-term, they want to avoid them due to tolerance, addiction, etc.

Move to az, every third rx is vicodin or percocet. definitely not afraid here.

Members don't see this ad :)
you probably exhibit drug seeking behavior

Has anyone noticed that prescribers are fearing opioids nowadays? In my personal example, I recently reinjured my knee, I've been to my orthopedic surgeon of 5 years like 6 times in the last 2 months.

He put me on ibuprofen (which did work for the inflammation but not sharp pain), then switched to naproxen, then switched to nabumetone, and today first wanted to go with difclofenac and ended up giving me meloxicam. I mean, what is it with this fascination of NSAIDs. Generally when it comes to sharp pain, isn't it better to go with an opioid?

in our school the first day of p&t, they said dr are more likely to prescribe needed opiods to caucasian patients than any other race even if that race needs it.

regarding bone pain, nsaids have been found to be equally effective as opioids. i have to find the article.

regarding bone pain, nsaids have been found to be equally effective as opioids. i have to find the article.

Unfortunately, it's not bone pain. I have definitely a Torn ACL, possibly tore my PCL 2 months ago, and possibly tore more cartilage. I'm guessing that the pain is coming from the torn cartilage just getting in the way of natural motion and is grinding the gears.

Unfortunately, it's not bone pain. I have definitely a Torn ACL, possibly tore my PCL 2 months ago, and possibly tore more cartilage. I'm guessing that the pain is coming from the torn cartilage just getting in the way of natural motion and is grinding the gears.

Ouch that sounds pretty bad, here:

Sparda29, DOB 3/2008
Darvocet N-100 #5
1 po qd
no refills
meister MD

Hope this helps!