Osteopathic EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nutka1111

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking around a bit on this website, and am hardpressed to find reviews of osteopathic EM programs. Are there any residents or 4th year students that can comment on the programs that they have rotated through/attended? Can we start a thread that deals only with OSTEOPATHIC EM programs? It's hard to wade through the >200 allopathic programs to find the +/- 30 osteopathic ones. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

CAMC in Charleston WV. Did a month rotation as a student and loved it. Probably the best em program in the osteopathic world due to it's pathology. The people of charleston love to drink, do meth and shoot each other which equals great rotation. Great faculty, program director is a great guy and is willing to go the extra mile for his residents. Program is in same hospitals as WVU med school. Level one trauma, peds/ob hospital with it's own er, and memorial which is chest pain central.

Hamot in Erie Pa. Probably one of the nicest hospitals I've worked in, ER is all computerized, orders are on the computer, everything runs smoothly. Level two trauma, tons of pathology and they get all the trauma for Erie, good faculty, lots of autonomy. Only downfall is it's in Erie.

St. Vincent in Erie, Pa. Good faculty, lower acuity than Hamot, but essentially the same volume. They send you to Pittsburgh for trauma

Conemaugh memorial in Johnstown Pa. Well known program director and faculty. Good volume, I spent a month there and didn't see any trauma although it is level one. Nice facility with plenty of funding but it's in Johnstown in the middle of bfe.

Southwest in Oklahoma City. Resident run dept, attendings were malignant, very inbred program, meaning that most of the residents are from oklahoma. Good volume, good pathology, saw a couple of traumas while I was there. Overall the program left a bad taste in my mouth, the residents were pushed so hard to move patients that the students barely got to do anything. Good as a resident, terrible as a student. I felt they had a chip on their shoulder knowing they were the best D.O. program in the south and they let you know it. Oklahoma City is ..... Oklahoma City....

I interviewed at a few more just p.m. me with questions. I ended up matching allopathic but really looked into the osteo programs. Essentially at the osteo programs with volume above 40k you will get the same training except for trauma, which you will still get at the osteo program but usually at another facility.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently working on my list. Will post them as I finish. (trying to write lists like they did for the allo programs)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do dual accredited programs count? I'm an MD but did 2 rotations at Newark Beth Israel which is dual accredited.

I haven't rotated there, but a classmate said that Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton, CA, is outstanding with lots of pathology and significant opportunities to get your hands dirty. If you're on the left coast you may wish to consider it. The PD is super nice, too, and will bend over backwards to make sure you have a good experience.

Thanks everyone for replying. Your comments are a real help. Anyone rotate through the programs in Michigan?

I'm not sure if they are still dually accredited as of 2010.
I believe they still are. No way NYCOM is going to loose that residency and lord knows that hospital would fight tooth and claw to keep it in line with the ACGME. IT was a wonderful program, I rotated there as a student. Busy county like facility, very high acuity. Not as high of trauma count as you would expect it being Newark and all since a good number of it goes to UMDS but still nice. You will get a decent dose of trauma here but u also do your trauma surg roation at UMDS. UMDS is where you will see more penetrating in 1 month than most other residents see in their entire residency.

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)

Basics- 4 year program, 13 spots/year. Level 1 trauma center. Lots of pathology. Diagnostic cath lab (no treatment). >97,000 visits/yr. 460 bed hospital. Accredited almost 20 years ago. Benefits: 4 wks vacation, free meals, medical insurance, PGY1 salary starting at $46,558.

Curriculum- Progressive increase in case load and complexity. 5 mos of EM during 1st year. Daily teaching rounds at 7am. Daily didactics. Wed conference weekly (1/2 day). Rosen in yrs 2&3, Tintinalli in 4th year. Quizzes weekly to correlate with readings in addition to EKG and radiology quizzes. Must maintain a minimum score throughout the year on these quizzes. Elective time is available in the last year for 6 weeks.

Shifts – 12 hr shifts (7-7). Forget the number for each month.

Facilities – Most rotations are done on site. Outside rotations – month of tox at NYC Poison Center, 6 wks PICU and Peds anes at NY Hospital in Queens. Paper charts. Curtains – appeared to be 2 beds per curtain unless acute care / trauma room.

Faculty – Seemed to be nice. They had the right balance of being laid back but getting work done. Seem to make sure the didactics run smoothly. Very willing to answer any questions throughout interview day.

Residents – Very nice. Willing to answer questions honestly. Seemed really happy to be where they were and would do it again if going through it all again. They all lived in different areas depending on what they liked to have near them.

NYC – Expensive if you like the city life. There are areas north of the hospital that are reasonably priced. Lots to see and do. Does get cold in the winter.

Overall - Very relaxed interview day. All the residents and attendings are really nice. No night before dinner. Positives for this program are the wide variety and severe pathology, didactic training (seems to have focus on teaching instead of pushing patients through). There are a lot more plusses, but these are what really appealed to me. Hard to find too many negatives. 12 hour shifts could be long, city can be expensive, and some may see the city as a negative. I would like to see them have more than just a diagnostic cath lab so that the patients aren't sent to other hospitals.

Last edited:
Mt. Clemens (MI)

Basics- 4 year program, 4 spots/year. Level 2 trauma center. Lots of pathology. Cath lab in house. 57,000 visits/yr. 288 bed hospital. Benefits: MI state licensure fees paid, AOA membership dues paid; malpractice, health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance; launders lab coats for you, 20 days vacation, free meals, PGY1 salary starting at 44,146, stipend 2000 yearly. Great health insurance.

Curriculum- Didactics on Thursdays from 8-12 with the exception of once a month Wednesday for COGMET in Troy. Didactics arranged by organ system – changes monthly in a 2 year cycle. Will have 5 mos in the ED in the first year. 8 months per year after that are in the ED. Other rotations: ortho, neurosurg, anes, rads, ICU, EMS, admin, research, US training leading to certification. Out of house rotations: peds EM (Detroit Children's), PICU (2mos at Beaumont), tox (DMC), trauma (2 mos and Sinai), medico-legal rotation. 2 elective months in 4th year.

Shifts – 10 hr shifts. Start with 18/ month in first year to 16/month in 4th year. Scheduled by chief resident.

Facilities – Most rotations are done on site. Half computerized – charts are dictated in the end. Most rooms have solid walls. Approximately 5-7 beds are curtains. 3 trauma rooms.

Faculty – Seemed to be nice. They had the right balance of being laid back but getting work done. Seem to make sure the didactics run smoothly. One of the attendings is always present for the lectures.

Residents – Very nice. Willing to answer questions honestly. Seemed really happy to be where they were and would do it again if going through it all again. They all lived in different areas depending on what they liked to have near them.

Detroit – Lots to see and do – close to Lake Erie for those that like to do water activities. Does get cold in the winter. And it does snow quite a bit most years.

Overall - Very nice facility and all the residents and attendings were easy to get along with. Not the typical "Detroit" area site (nice neighborhood). They do see a lot of psych patients in the population. Good mix of patients.

Last edited:
Metro Health (Grand Rapids, MI)

Basics- 4 year program, 3 spots/year. Not a trauma center. Rotate through Detroit Receiving for trauma (housing available during those months). Cath lab on site. 50,000 visits/yr. 26 beds in ED. >200 bed hospital – Just built a new hospital in 2007 (transferred from the old hospital). Benefits: 10 days vacation for interns, 15 each year after that; free meals; vision, disability, malpractice, life, dental and medical insurance.

Curriculum- Progressive increase in case load and complexity. mos of EM during 1st year. Wed conference weekly (1/2 day). Rosen/Tintinalli? quizzes. All procedures available are given to the resident working with the attending (the attending offers up all their procedures to the residents). 1:1 ratio. 4 mos in intern year and 6 mos per year after that in the ED. 2 mos elective in 3rd year and 4 mos elective in 4th year.

Shifts – 10 hr shifts. 1:1 resident to attending ratio for each shift.

Facilities – Most rotations are done on site. Computerized charts. Walled single-bed rooms.

Faculty – Seemed to be nice. They had the right balance of being laid back but getting work done. Seem to make sure the didactics run smoothly. Very willing to answer any questions throughout interview day. Very good at teaching throughout didactics. Give all procedures available to the residents if they want to do them (even if it is not the residents' patient).

Residents – Very nice. Willing to answer questions honestly. Seemed really happy to be where they were and would do it again if going through it all again. They all lived in different areas depending on whether they wanted to be really close to the hospital, rent/buy, family. Some lived in apts/condos within 5 minutes of the hospital.

Grand Rapids – Cheap cost of living. There are condos/apts within 5 minutes of the hospital. Plenty to see and do, within an hour of the lake. Obviously gets cold in the winter and it snows.

Overall - Very relaxed interview day. All the residents and attendings are really nice. Dinner the night before the interview. Positives for this program are the wide variety, procedure availability, didactic training (seems to have focus on teaching instead of pushing patients through), cheap cost of living. There are a lot more plusses, but these are what really appealed to me. Hard to find too many negatives. 10 hour shifts may not be preferred, and some may see the lack of city life as a negative.

Last edited:
St. Joseph's (Paterson, NJ)

Basics- 4 year program, 6 spots/year. Level 1 trauma center. Cath lab on site. 43 adult beds, 14 peds beds in ED. 120,000 visits/yr. 651 bed hospital.

Curriculum- Progressive increase in case load and complexity. 4 week rotations. 4 weeks vacation. Will be ultrasound certified by end of 2nd year of residency.

Shifts – 12 hr shifts if I remember correctly.

Facilities – Most rotations are done on site. Call room area is very nice for those off-service months.

Faculty – Seemed to be nice. They had the right balance of being laid back but getting work done. Seem to make sure the didactics run smoothly. Was not impressed they did M&M during interview day for us. But I guess it was reality of what it would be like to be there.

Paterson – 10 miles from NYC. The hospital is not in the best neighborhood (would not live close to it). They are fixing up the hospital with some major renovations – expected to be done in 2012 if I remember correctly.

Overall - Very relaxed interview day. All the residents and attendings are really nice. No night before dinner. Positives for this program are the wide variety and severe pathology, didactic training (seems to have focus on teaching instead of pushing patients through). 12 hour shifts could be long, city can be expensive, and some may see the city as a negative.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hamot (Erie, PA)

Basics- 4 year program, 4 spots/year. Level 2 trauma center. Cath lab. visits/yr. 35 beds in ED (individual rooms with solid walls) with 3 trauma rooms. 351 bed hospital. Benefits: free parking, free meals, insurances, PGY1 salary starting at $44,870.

Curriculum- Progressive increase in case load and complexity. 3 mos of EM during 1st year, 6 mos each year following. Elective time 3 mos total. 10 sick days, 20 days vacation.

Shifts – I believe 10 or 12 hour shifts.

Facilities – Most rotations are done on site. Inpatient tox done in Harrisburg I believe.

Faculty – Seemed to be nice. They had the right balance of being laid back but getting work done. Seem to make sure the didactics run smoothly. Very willing to answer any questions throughout interview day.

Erie – Cheaper cost of living. Hospital is in a good neighborhood. Some live within walking distance. Presque Isle seems to be the highlight. Also has tax-free shopping in the mall. Does get cold in the winter and tends to snow more than other locations.

Overall - Very relaxed interview day. All the residents and attendings are really nice. Night before we had dinner. Positives for this program are the wide variety, didactic training (seems to have focus on teaching instead of pushing patients through). There are a lot more plusses, but these are what really appealed to me. Hard to find too many negatives. Some may see the area as a negative.

Last edited:
UMDNJ – Stratford, NJ

Basics- 4 year program, 6 spots/year. Will rotate through 3 different hospitals in the Kennedy Health System. Not a trauma center. Cath lab not on site. 26,000 to 60,000 visits/yr depending on the ED. One of the locations has a dedicated Peds ED. 617 beds between 3 hospitals. Benefits: PGY1 salary starts at $50,808, 3 weeks vacation with weekends protected (weekend prior and after are off from call), 9 holidays, 3 float days, free meals while on call; vision, disability, malpractice, life, dental and medical insurance; 5 lab coats with laundry stipend. Accredited in 1993.

Curriculum- Progressive increase in case load and complexity. 5 mos of EM during 1st year. Wed conference weekly (1/2 day). CALL ALL YEAR LONG, EVEN EM MONTHS.

Shifts – As an intern, you will do all EM shifts 7am to 5pm to allow for call. The remaining years, 12 hr shifts worked as 3 days, 3 nights, then 3 days off.

Facilities – Most rotations are done on site. Walled single-bed rooms at one site, curtains/walls at other sites. Out rotations are: trauma, peds EM, tox, EMS, plastics, others.

Faculty – Seemed to be nice. Didn't have much interaction with them outside the interview. Interview day was a meet and greet, interview, tour and done.

Residents – Very nice. Willing to answer questions honestly. They all lived in different areas depending on whether they wanted to be really close to the hospital, rent/buy, family. Some lived in apts/condos within 5 minutes of the hospital. Others lived in Philly and traveled back and forth.

Stratford – Cheaper cost of living when compared to Philly and NYC, but not as cheap as other areas. There are condos/apts within 10 minutes of the hospital, some of which are in good neighborhoods and some in not so good areas. Plenty to see and do, within 20-25 minutes to Philly. Gets cold in the winter and it snows on occasion. Public transportation widely available all hours of the day.

Overall - Very relaxed interview day. All the residents and attendings are really nice. Positives for this program are the variety you get to see in different EDs throughout the year. Biggest negative I found was the having to do call year round in intern year, including the EM months. Some may not like the way the schedule is for the remaining years as well. Close to Philly but will get the suburban feel in some areas.

Last edited:
Good Samaritan (West Islip, NY)

Basics- 4 year program, 5 spots/year. Level 2 trauma center. Cath lab on site. 90,000 visits/yr. 80 beds in ED. 437 bed hospital. Just built a new ED in 2001 (transferred from the old ED). Benefits: 4 weeks vacation per year; free meals; vision, disability, malpractice, life, dental and medical insurance; $2400 yearly housing stipend (because of higher cost of living); free parking and meals. Salary 1st year is $51,400.

Curriculum- Progressive increase in case load and complexity. 18 wks of EM during 1st year. Morning teaching / sign out rounds. 1:1 ratio for resident to the attending they are working with the majority of the time.

Shifts – 12 hr shifts. 20, 18, 17, 16 shifts/month in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th years, respectively. 1:1 resident to attending ratio for each shift.

Facilities – Most rotations are done on site. Computerized charts. Curtained rooms with 2 beds per large curtain area. Capability of having curtain closed between the 2 beds, but would be tight to walk through. In the charting area, they have skylights so you can see the sun while you are there.

Faculty – Seemed to be nice. They had the right balance of being laid back but getting work done. Seem to make sure the didactics run smoothly. Loved the lecture Dr. Glantz gave the day of the interview. Very willing to answer any questions throughout interview day. Very good at teaching throughout didactics.

Residents – Very nice. Willing to answer questions honestly. Seemed really happy to be where they were and would do it again if going through it all again. They all lived in different areas depending on whether they wanted to be really close to the hospital, rent/buy, family. Some lived in apts/condos within 5-10 minutes of the hospital. Others lived in NYC and traveled.

West Islip – Very high cost of living. Plenty to see and do, esp in NYC, very close to the coast (can see it from the hospital). Gets cold in the winter and it snows, but they said it does tend to melt within a few days.

Overall - Very long interview day. All the residents and attendings are really nice. Dinner the night before the interview. Positives for this program are the wide variety, procedure availability, didactic training (seems to have focus on teaching instead of pushing patients through), close to NYC. Negatives: high cost of living, close patient quarters. Some may see city life as a negative.

Last edited:
Memorial Hospital (York, PA)

Basics- 4 year program, 3 spots/year. Not a trauma center. Cath lab on site in the works – currently just a diagnostic cath lab. App 40,000 visits/yr. 20 beds in ED. 150 bed hospital. ED just remodeled – finished over the summer 2009. Benefits: 20 days vacation per year; free meals; vision, disability, malpractice, life, dental and medical insurance. Salary 1st year is $46,000. New site being built – goal of finish date 2013.

Curriculum- Start in first year with all types of cases. 4 mos EM during 1st year. 1:1 ratio for resident to the attending. If intern from another service is in the ED, there will be 2 of you reporting to the same attending.

Shifts – 12 hr shifts. 19, 18, 17, 16 shifts/month in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th years, respectively. Months are 1st of month to end of month (not 4 week rotations). 1:1 resident to attending ratio for each shift.

Facilities – Several out rotations during 2nd and 3rd years. Out rotations go to Baltimore Shock Trauma, Johns Hopkins Burn Center, University of Maryland, Holy Spirit, and Pinnacle. Solid walls for all 20 rooms in main ED, FastER has curtains. FastER run by PAs. EP out front with triage for 10-12 hours of the day seeing patients and starting orders.

Faculty – Very nice. They had the right balance of being laid back but getting work done. PD is at all didactics to make sure the didactics run smoothly. Very good at teaching throughout didactics.

Residents – Very nice. Willing to answer questions honestly. Seemed really happy to be where they were and would do it again if going through it all again. They all lived in different areas depending on whether they wanted to be really close to the hospital, rent/buy, family. Some would live as far as Baltimore, others live within 5-10 min of hospital.

York – Cheaper cost of living. Not the city life. More of a suburban feeling. Within a few hours to Philly, NYC, Baltimore and DC for those that like the city life. Gets cold in the winter and it snows, but it does tend to melt within a few days.

Overall – You interview with the PD and with the residents as a group. All the residents and attendings are really nice. Dinner is included in the interview if your scheduling permits. Positives for this program are the ability to get bread and butter cases with more challenging cases on occasion, you get the big hospital training but are not stuck at the big hospital for every rotation, didactic training (seems to have focus on teaching instead of pushing patients through). Negatives: Some may see the lack of city life as a negative, some may see the amount of traveling as a negative.

Last edited:
St. Vincent (Erie, PA)

Basics- 4 year program, 4 spots/year. Not a trauma center. Cath lab on site. App 65,000 visits/yr. 22 beds in ED. 413 bed hospital. Benefits: 3 weeks vacation per year; free meals; vision, disability, malpractice, life, dental and medical insurance; free uniforms with laundry service for lab coats. Salary 1st year is $42,624.

Curriculum- Start in first year with all types of cases. 4 mos EM during 1st year. 1:1 ratio for resident to the attending the majority of the time. 1st month has sim labs for procedures.

Shifts – 12 hr shifts. 16 shifts/month in all years. Months are 1st of month to end of month (not 4 week rotations). 1:1 resident to attending ratio for each shift.

Facilities – Most rotations done on site. Out rotations go to Pittsburgh for peds and trauma, tox at Pinnacle. Solid walls for all 22 rooms in main ED, Fast track has 12 beds and is run by PAs and FPs.

Faculty – Very nice. They had the right balance of being laid back but getting work done. On interview day, you will receive a DVD about the program from the PD.

Residents – Very nice. Willing to answer questions honestly. Seemed really happy to be where they were and would do it again if going through it all again. They all lived in different areas depending on whether they wanted to be really close to the hospital, rent/buy, family. Some would live halfway between Erie and Pittsburgh for family reasons.

York – Cheaper cost of living. Not the city life. More of a suburban feeling. Gets cold in the winter and it snows.

Overall – All the residents and attendings are really nice. Dinner the night before interview day. Positives for this program are the ability to get bread and butter cases with more challenging cases on occasion, didactic training (seems to have focus on teaching instead of pushing patients through). Negatives: Some may see the lack of city life as a negative.

Last edited:
A few more to come. Please correct any errors I have made. Trying to keep them all straight is difficult at this point.

this is awesome! keep this up! Any emphasis on U/S at any of these programs?

ER months are 16 shifts regardless of what year you are.

Also, the first month of internship includes weekly sessions learning procedures on the simulation mannequin.

ER months are 16 shifts regardless of what year you are.

Also, the first month of internship includes weekly sessions learning procedures on the simulation mannequin.

Thanks! Edited above.

Wow... your reviews are great! Thank you very much for taking the time to write them.

Wow... your reviews are great! Thank you very much for taking the time to write them.

I figure it's only polite to return to the community what I have used from here.

As another note, I know I'm not the only DO that interviewed osteo...so please contribute to make this thread worth the work.

For those who have yet to do interviews, take notes while at the interview. I had full intentions of writing things down when I left the hospital and it never happened. Some places will give you only business cards so you are relying on your memory alone (which for me was unreliable in the end). I waited longer to do these reviews, now wishing I did them much earlier so they would be more accurate.

As always, correct me if the memory failed or if there is soemthing just left out.

St. John Oakland (Madison Heights, MI)

Basics- 4 year program, 4 spots/year. Not a trauma center. No cath lab on site. 28 beds in ED. 210 bed hospital. Benefits: 15 days vacation per year + 5 days conference; free meals; vision, disability, malpractice, life, dental and medical insurance. Salary 1st year is $43,118.

Curriculum- Start in first year with all types of cases. During certain times of the day, you will have 2 residents, an intern, and a student presenting to 2 attendings. As a student, you are not allowed to see the critical patients without an intern or resident present.

Shifts – 12 hr shifts. 19, 18, 17, 16 shifts/month in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th years, respectively. Months are 1st of month to end of month (not 4 week rotations).

Facilities – Out rotations go to Detroit Receiving, Providence, and St. John Macomb / Main. All curtained rooms. Fast track run by PAs.

Faculty – Very nice. They had the right balance of being laid back but getting work done. Never made it to any didactics to see how they are run - if you are a student or intern on the service and scheduled to work during didactics, you have to skip didactics.

Residents – Very nice. Willing to answer questions honestly. Seemed really happy to be where they were and would do it again if going through it all again. They all lived in different areas depending on whether they wanted to be really close to the hospital, rent/buy, family. There is very cheap housing available for residents right across the street from the hospital (still in the parking lot) if you choose to stay that close.

Detroit – Cheaper cost of living. City life available. Has a suburban feeling around the area of the hospital. Gets cold in the winter and it snows.

Overall – You interview with the PD and with the chief resident. All the residents and attendings are nice. Positives for this program are the ability to get bread and butter cases with more challenging cases on occasion, you get the big hospital training but are not stuck at the big hospital for every rotation. Negatives: It is Detroit and the town has a very high unemployment rate. Rumors were spreading that the hospital may close, but nothing has been officially stated yet to any of the attendings.

Last edited:
Garden City (MI)

Basics- 4 year program, 5 spots/year. Level II trauma center - EM residents are the trauma team. Cath lab on site. App 45,000 visits/yr. 36 beds in ED. 260 bed hospital. Benefits: 20 days vacation per year; free meals; vision, disability, malpractice, life, dental and medical insurance.

Curriculum- Start in first year seeing all types of cases. 3 mos EM during 1st year. 1:1 ratio for resident to the attending - the attending shifts are the same as the resident - you work with the attending assigned to the same time frame.

Shifts – 10 hr shifts. 18, 17, 16 shifts/month in 2nd, 3rd and 4th years, respectively. 1:1 resident to attending ratio for each shift.

Facilities – Out rotations go to Children's, Detroit Receiving, Providence. Trauma is in Vegas. All curtained rooms. They have a gyn room and an ortho room that have solid walls. Fast track currently run by EPs but will soon be run by PAs.

Faculty – Very nice. They had the right balance of being laid back but getting work done. An attending is always present at all didactics to make sure the didactics run smoothly. Very good at teaching throughout didactics. Will bring in specialist from another hospital for certain training.

Residents – Very nice. Willing to answer questions honestly. Seemed really happy to be where they were and would do it again if going through it all again. They all lived in different areas depending on whether they wanted to be really close to the hospital, rent/buy, family.

Garden City – Cheaper cost of living. City life available. More of a suburban feeling. Gets cold in the winter and it snows.

Overall – All the residents and attendings are really nice. Positives for this program are the ability to get bread and butter cases with a good amount of challenging cases, you get the big hospital training but are not stuck at the big hospital for every rotation, didactic training. Negatives: It is in Detroit and if they still go to Las Vegas, that may interfere with family life.

Last edited:
Southern Ohio Medical Center (Portsmouth, OH)

Basics- 4 year program, 3 spots/year. Not a trauma center, but see a lot of trauma due to location. App 79,000 visits/yr. 222 bed hospital. Benefits: free meals; vision, disability, malpractice, life, dental and medical insurance. Salary 1st year is $39,000.

Curriculum- Start in first year with all types of cases.

Shifts – 12 hr shifts. Months are 1st of month to end of month (not 4 week rotations).

Facilities – Out rotations go to Children's in Columbus, Grant in Columbus, and Central Ohio Poison Control Center.

Faculty – Very nice. They had the right balance of being laid back but getting work done. PD is at all didactics to make sure the didactics run smoothly. Very good at teaching throughout didactics.

Residents – Very nice. Willing to answer questions honestly. Seemed really happy to be where they were and would do it again if going through it all again. It is a newer program - the oldest residents were in their 2nd year.

Portsmouth – Cheap cost of living. Not the city life. More suburban/rural feeling. Within a few hours to Columbus and Cinci. Gets cold in the winter and it snows, but it does tend to melt within a few days.

Overall – All the residents and attendings are really nice. Dinner the night before. Positives for this program are the ability to get bread and butter cases with more challenging cases on occasion, didactic training (seems to have focus on teaching instead of pushing patients through). Negatives: Some may see the lack of city life as a negative, some may see the amount of traveling as a negative. Also a newer program.

Last edited:
This is all for me. Hope more are able to contribute.

Thanks for those reviews. They are invaluable to us fellow D.Os. I'll try to update this thread when I'm on the interview circuit about 10 months from now.

Any thoughts on the Genesys, Henry Ford Macomb, and Henry Ford Wyandotte programs in MI?

This is all for me. Hope more are able to contribute.
Thank you so much for spending the time to write these out. Good luck on the match and let us know how you do.

Happy to hear some of you will be able to use these reviews. As for the programs listed above, I did not go to any of them so I cannot help you out.

I'll post some reviews - It's been a while, so I'll try to highlight as best I can from what I remember. This is all off the top of my head, so I hope my info is correct, although I might be confused about some things. Not going to be as awesome as EM2BE's, but hopefully helpful.

Sparrow Hospital / MSU - Lansing, MI
Associated with MSU's COM and CHM, so you get a lot of perks from that. 4 year program, 4 spots/year. Combined AOA/ACGME. Lvl 1 Trauma Center. Sparrow is 587 Beds, Ingham is 483 Beds. Combined 120K Visits. Pay is average, starts at ~44K/yr I think. I don't remember the exact shifts, but I don't have any terrible memories of it (i.e. not 24/month or anything). All the rotations are in Lansing, between Sparrow and Ingham. Sparrow ED is ~70 beds, Ingham I think is ~35. Sparrow has a Peds ED. Everything is computerized and new and spacious. Moonlighting in house. Everyone I encountered was very pleasant, and the dinner the night before with the interns was nice enough, though a little awkward. I don't remember hearing anyone griping though. Lansing is a nice town (I went to college at MSU), college town, with plenty of culture and whatnot at MSU and downtown. Cost of Living is fairly low, as it's a college town, but if you're in East Lansing, it can get a little loud certain times of year (game day).

Genesys Regional Medical Center - Grand Blanc, MI
4 year program, 7 spots. Combined AOA/ACGME. Lvl 2 Trauma Center. 400 Bed hospital. Approx 70K visits/year. Pay is average starts at 43K/yr. Kind of heavy on the shifts (~20/month 1st year I think). Out rotations at both Hurley in Flint (for a lot of penetrating trauma) and various in Detroit. The ED is nice, and fairly busy. All the Doctor's are nice, and the Residents are all nice as well. I think there was only one person I had issue with the whole time I was there. Moonlighting allowed, and quite lucrative from what I hear. I've heard internship year can be rough. Grand Blanc is a nice area, but is a suburb of Flint, which is the armpit of Michigan.

Botsford Hospital - Farmington, MI
4 Years, 7 spots/year. AOA Program. Lvl 2 Trauma Center. 336 Beds (crowded though). ~60K visits/yr. Pay starts at ~44K/yr. Shifts are 18-18-17-16. Lots of pathology, kinda urban. Out rotations around Detroit, and Trauma at Baltimore Shock Trauma. The hospital was frequently full, with frequent ER Holds. The ED was ~35 beds, kinda cramped, but newly remodeled. Never enough computers. The residents seemed kinda run down, and just weren't as friendly or helpful as other places. Internship year was hellish I'm told. Farmington is kinda ghetto, but not quite as bad as downtown Detroit. I rotated here and didn't really like it.

Garden City Hospital - Garden City, MI
I'll defer to EM2BE on most of the detail for this one. Pay is low ~41K. Hospital was nice, resident's were very nice. ED was nice enough. Rotations all around Detroit. Trauma in Las Vegas. Garden City is kind of a nice area of Detroit, but is still Detroit.

Oakwood Southshore - Dearborn / Trenton, MI
4 years, 5 spots/year. AOA. I would like to make a special note on this program, that it is at a brand new hospital in Trenton, MI, which is downriver (i.e. South Detroit). All of your non-EM rotations are at the super nice, pristine, new hospital, but after your first year, all your EM rotations are at the Big Level 1 Trauma Center in Dearborn. Pay is good ~46K. Dearborn ED is a busy Detroit ED, ~60 beds, Pod Based, and you get your own Pod of approx 12 beds. Rotations at the Dearborn Hospital, with Trauma in Toledo, which is about 1 hr away. Everyone seemed very happy to be there, and everyone was awesomely friendly. Internship year is Cushy I hear. Unsure about moonlighting. Trenton is nice for Detroit, kinda rural is, and is very close to the airport, which is nice.

Henry Ford Wyandotte - Wyandotte, MI
4 years, 4 spots/yr. AOA. Not a trauma center. Also in downriver Detroit. 379 Beds, Unsure of the ED size. 65K visits per year. Unsure of shifts although again, I don't have any bad associations with it. Pay starts at 45K. Out rotations and trauma go to Henry Ford Main Campus in Detroit. Residents were all very friendly. The hospital was nice. Wyandotte is like Trenton, except closer to Detroit.

St Lukes Hospital - Allentown, PA
4 Years, 4 Spots/yr. AOA, but it also has an MD program there, and the students all mingle in everything. Bethlehem is a Lvl 1 Trauma Center, Medium Size ED (Maybe ~40+ Beds?) Large Hospital with all services. Allentown is smaller, with a brand new ED, also a nice hospital. 10 hours shifts, 21-19-18-17 (I think). All rotations between Allentown and Bethlehem. Residents were friendly, PD was super nice. Bethlehem is a nice area, medium sized town, mildly run down, but nice. Pay is good, 48/yr to start. COL is average to slightly above. 90 minutes from NYC, 60 from Philly, both of which are pluses.

Conemaugh Memorial Hospital - Johnstown, PA
4 years, 4 spots per year. AOA. New program, I think this is their 4th year. Lvl 1 trauma center, giant hospital, in a small town. Medium sized ED, I think around 35 beds. 85000 visit's per year. 800 Bed hospital, although not filled. 18 shifts all 4 years, 8s, 9s, and 10s I think. in 3rd and 4th years, you can moonlight up to 3 shifts per month, and they are removed from your 18, so it's like doing 15 shifts, + 3 moonlighting shifts. Everyone was super duper nice, PD was cool. Out rotations 1 per year in Pittsburgh. Everything else is in house. Small group style lectures. Cafeteria rocks. In house Gym. $5000 reloaction bonus and starts a ~46K/yr. I really really liked this place, except for the location. Transplant it someplace that's not johnstown, and it'd be a 10/10.

That's all for now. There are more places, but I'm tired of typing. Hope this is a help!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)

Basics- 4 year program, 13 spots/year. Level 1 trauma center. Lots of pathology. Diagnostic cath lab (no treatment). >97,000 visits/yr. 460 bed hospital. Accredited almost 20 years ago. Benefits: 4 wks vacation, free meals, medical insurance, PGY1 salary starting at $46,558.

Curriculum- Progressive increase in case load and complexity. 5 mos of EM during 1st year. Daily teaching rounds at 7am. Daily didactics. Wed conference weekly (1/2 day). Rosen in yrs 2&3, Tintinalli in 4th year. Quizzes weekly to correlate with readings in addition to EKG and radiology quizzes. Must maintain a minimum score throughout the year on these quizzes. Elective time is available in the last year for 6 weeks.

Shifts – 12 hr shifts (7-7). Forget the number for each month.

Facilities – Most rotations are done on site. Outside rotations – month of tox at NYC Poison Center, 6 wks PICU and Peds anes at NY Hospital in Queens. Paper charts. Curtains – appeared to be 2 beds per curtain unless acute care / trauma room.

NYC – Expensive if you like the city life. There are areas north of the hospital that are reasonably priced. Lots to see and do. Does get cold in the winter.

Overall - Very relaxed interview day. All the residents and attendings are really nice. No night before dinner. Positives for this program are the wide variety and severe pathology, didactic training (seems to have focus on teaching instead of pushing patients through). There are a lot more plusses, but these are what really appealed to me. Hard to find too many negatives. 12 hour shifts could be long, city can be expensive, and some may see the city as a negative. I would like to see them have more than just a diagnostic cath lab so that the patients aren’t sent to other hospitals.

So this is a bit late in the game (haven't been on SDN in a few months) but a few HUGE negatives that stood out for me at this program: 1) NO support staff. You put in all your lines, you push all your drugs, if a patient has to go up to the floor, you usually take them. This is all fine in a SMALLER volume hospital but when you are seeing upwards of 100K patients a year, this only stands to slow you down. 2) Several of the residents are very malignant. One actually told our interviewing group not to go there. That the residency was horrible and we would only hate ourselves for going there; this is a huge sign to me so I didn't even rank the program.

I'll post some reviews - It's been a while, so I'll try to highlight as best I can from what I remember. This is all off the top of my head, so I hope my info is correct, although I might be confused about some things. Not going to be as awesome as EM2BE's, but hopefully helpful.

Sparrow Hospital / MSU - Lansing, MI
Associated with MSU's COM and CHM, so you get a lot of perks from that. 4 year program, 4 spots/year. Combined AOA/ACGME. Lvl 1 Trauma Center. Sparrow is 587 Beds, Ingham is 483 Beds. Combined 120K Visits. Pay is average, starts at ~44K/yr I think. I don't remember the exact shifts, but I don't have any terrible memories of it (i.e. not 24/month or anything). All the rotations are in Lansing, between Sparrow and Ingham. Sparrow ED is ~70 beds, Ingham I think is ~35. Sparrow has a Peds ED. Everything is computerized and new and spacious. Moonlighting in house. Everyone I encountered was very pleasant, and the dinner the night before with the interns was nice enough, though a little awkward. I don't remember hearing anyone griping though. Lansing is a nice town (I went to college at MSU), college town, with plenty of culture and whatnot at MSU and downtown. Cost of Living is fairly low, as it's a college town, but if you're in East Lansing, it can get a little loud certain times of year (game day). Overall, I gave this one a 10/10, and ranked it #1

good luck, too bad Dr. Hughes' son is hoping for a spot! wonder if he'll get it?

Would appreciate any thoughts on what have lead you to participating in AOA Match for EM versus NRMP. EM is getting competitive these days and I'm not sure which approach is smartest.

PM me if you don't mind sharing your experience with me.

any reviews on Chicago, Miami, Aria in Philly?

any reviews on Chicago, Miami, Aria in Philly?

Aria:

Basics: Four year program, four positions in EM, *120,000 patients/year EM visits. Wednesday Conferences.

Shifts: are (I believe) 10-12 hours long. Don't know the number anymore.

Facilities: Seem okay. You rotate at three different hospitals located throughout Philadelphia. Some of the hospitals are more busy than others (Toresdale Campus Versus Bucks Campus) and others are more geared towads chronic/nursing home patients versus acute patients (Toresdale versus Bucks again). Computer charts.

Faculty/Residents: (I rotated here as well as interviewed). Some of the faculty are nice, while others are pretty uncaring. The first hour of your shift, as a student, you find yourself wandering around the EM attemping to get an attending/resident to work with. Generally, this involves 3-4 of said attendings/residents "punting" you off to someone else. The attendings and residents, for the most part, seem well educated. However, this is, what appears, to be a strong push for everyone to join one of the dual degree programs (EM/IM or EM/FP).

Philly: Philly is Philly. There are some cheaper places around the hospitals and some more expensive places to live.

Overall: Positive and negative to the location. You have to rotate at the three hospitals during your time there which can be a negative to some people. This is also Philly which some people may not like. The patient population can be a little more chronic than acute in nature which can also be a negative. The staff appears to be pretty well educated and for the most part interested in resdent education. The volume also depends on your location. The biggest negative I found was the low pay: 41K to start to start.

*120,000 EM visits are seen when you take into account all THREE hospitals.

Can anyone add any input on this hospital?

Hi there!
Can someone please commoent on Doctor's Hospital in Columbus, OH and Mt Sinai in Miami!
Thank you so much!
Marcia

Great thread! Thanks for posting the information guys.

Anyone knows a bit more about ARMC in Colton, CA, Port St. Luice, Mt. Sinai? I've heard Colton area is kind of bad for living. Thanks:)

Great thread! Thanks for posting the information guys.

Anyone knows a bit more about ARMC in Colton, CA, Port St. Luice, Mt. Sinai? I've heard Colton area is kind of bad for living. Thanks:)

I wouldn't necessarily live in Colton. Rancho Cucamonga, which is about 30 mins away on the 10, is awesome. A major open-air shopping area - Victoria Gardens, opened when I was there, and it's awesome. Restaraunts, bars - you won't have to travel to LA unless you want to. Pasadena is close as well.

As for the residency. It's a very busy level II with three helipads, and I've seen all of them occupied at times. Very good county experience, good acuity, good pathology.

Great job EM2BE :thumbup:

1) Info on Doctor's Hospital in Columbus, OH would be welcome if anyone knows about it. I've heard through rumor that it's one of the top places in Ohio.

2) Dual accreditation: Anyone have a list?

3) Average COMLEX I scores: Around 500 or above 500? (I know there's no actual data on this)

Thanks!

Just go to AOA opportunities and use the advanced search, there is a box you can check.

Oh, I see it now. Thanks. FYI:

Genesys Regional Med Ctr-Health Park - Emergency Medicine Residency​
Emergency Medicine​
Grand Blanc​
MI​
Edward W. Sparrow Hospital - Emergency Medicine Residency​
Emergency Medicine​
Lansing​
MI​
NYCOM/Newark Beth Israel MC/St. Barnabas HS - Emergency Medicine Residency​
Emergency Medicine​
Newark​