best non-AAMC practice exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metaldrummer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've already taken the MCAT once and expended most of my AAMC resources. I know the other companies (Kaplan, GS, TPR, etc.) offer full-lengths, but I don't know which ones are considered better than others. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Out of FLs you can buy by themselves, Gold Standard and Berkeley Review are your best choices. If I had to pick between one or the other, I'd probably go with GS. You get more tests for half the cost. The only downside is that you should expect your score to be ~2 points lower than normal.

I would also try to redo the AAMC tests again (you might find yourself making the same mistakes -- which you should try to correct and learn from). Some of these other test banks take you off course or focus on irrelevant details.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also try to redo the AAMC tests again (you might find yourself making the same mistakes -- which you should try to correct and learn from). Some of these other test banks take you off course or focus on irrelevant details.

I don't know if that will work. I retook one of my aamc practice tests that I used for the first time in 2005, and I remembered it. I would know what the right answer was just from taking it before. It gave me a really high score though....

Hi, I've already taken the MCAT once and expended most of my AAMC resources. I know the other companies (Kaplan, GS, TPR, etc.) offer full-lengths, but I don't know which ones are considered better than others. Any help would be appreciated.

There's a poll and thread on this about ten to fifteen threads below this. You should consult that to see what the general opinion is. Just reading threads around this site over the past two years shows that like SN2ed said, it's really a two-horse race between GS and BR.

To add to SN2ed's response, GS is 10 for $150 and BR is 7 for $200. GS is a better deal, but that poll/thread shows about a 2:1 preference for BR exams. You can't go wrong either way.

There's a poll and thread on this about ten to fifteen threads below this. You should consult that to see what the general opinion is. Just reading threads around this site over the past two years shows that like SN2ed said, it's really a two-horse race between GS and BR.

To add to SN2ed's response, GS is 10 for $150 and BR is 7 for $200. GS is a better deal, but that poll/thread shows about a 2:1 preference for BR exams. You can't go wrong either way.

Quick note, sometimes GS sells all 10 tests for $100 from their ebay account. Additionally, I believe there's a 1 year access limit on GS tests as opposed to 45 days for BR. Now 45 days by itself isn't that bad; however, when you combine that with BR's horrible website and ordering system, you can run into timing problems.